CSNbbs
Interesting situation in the ASUN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+----- Thread: Interesting situation in the ASUN (/thread-772773.html)

Pages: 1 2

Interesting situation in the ASUN - ETSUfan1 - 03-04-2016 08:52 PM

#7 Stetson will play #4 FGCU in the ASUN Championship game. FGCU beat league leading UNF by 33 points to advance to the finals. However, Stetson is ineligible for the NCAA tournament so if they manage to beat FGCU, UNF will receive the automatic bid.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buc66 - 03-04-2016 09:23 PM

(03-04-2016 08:52 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  #7 Stetson will play #4 FGCU in the ASUN Championship game. FGCU beat league leading UNF by 33 points to advance to the finals. However, Stetson is ineligible for the NCAA tournament so if they manage to beat FGCU, UNF will receive the automatic bid.

Still can't believe that ETSU stumbled into this league back then. Nothing to do with the schools in this conference -- all due respect to them. But, ETSU was an alien here and lost a decade while wasting precious millions.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - etsuBucsFan1988 - 03-04-2016 10:30 PM

Why is Stetson ineligible?

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - ETSUfan1 - 03-04-2016 10:35 PM

Not sure.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 03-05-2016 12:01 AM

They're in APR trouble.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Efan - 03-05-2016 07:53 AM

That explains why they've been so dominant in athletics all these years.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Efan - 03-05-2016 07:56 AM

All kidding aside, why did they even let them PLAY in the conference tournament if they're ineligible for the NCAA tournament? When D II schools moves up over the years, I assumed they didn't play in the conference tournament because they weren't eligible for the big dance. Doesn't make much sense to me.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buc66 - 03-05-2016 09:11 AM

(03-05-2016 07:56 AM)Efan Wrote:  All kidding aside, why did they even let them PLAY in the conference tournament if they're ineligible for the NCAA tournament? When D II schools moves up over the years, I assumed they didn't play in the conference tournament because they weren't eligible for the big dance. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The A-Sun period never made any sense to me.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Efan - 03-05-2016 10:31 AM

This article explains the situation. Pretty dumb decision, and doing stuff like this will get you fired in other jobs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlanticsun/2016/03/04/atlantic-sun-conference-tournament-stetson-apr-ban/81311392/

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Efan - 03-05-2016 10:41 AM

The A-sun tries to fend off criticism due to "multiple national media inquiries":

http://atlanticsun.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160304m8sy7g

The real story is, IMO, they don't have enough teams in that conference to have a real tournament. If you throw out Stetson, you only have 7 teams left, which means another team either has to sit out, or the 6 vs 7 game has to be a "play-in" game. The other schools wouldn't like that, hence why they let Stetson go ahead and play.

Bottom line is, this conference is on life support.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 03-06-2016 02:31 AM

That's the craziest situation I've ever heard of.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - shampoo - 03-06-2016 02:58 PM

What an embarrassment it will be if 7th seed, APR deficient Stetson can win the ASun tournament. So glad the Bucs have moved on.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 03-06-2016 09:46 PM

Gulf Coast wins. In Stetson's defense, they had coaching turmoil that screwed with their APR due to transfers. They needed 930, they had a 929. They'll probably be fine next year.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - kevster - 03-06-2016 10:09 PM

I ran across an old email last week. It was a message from me to the sports editor at the JC Press, decrying the just-announced move to the ASun.

He responded, saying the ASun was a superior conference with a much brighter future.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - bucfan81 - 03-06-2016 10:16 PM

(03-06-2016 10:09 PM)kevster Wrote:  I ran across an old email last week. It was a message from me to the sports editor at the JC Press, decrying the just-announced move to the ASun.

He responded, saying the ASun was a superior conference with a much brighter future.

Consider the source. He was probably best buddies with Mullins.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 03-07-2016 04:21 PM

(03-06-2016 10:09 PM)kevster Wrote:  I ran across an old email last week. It was a message from me to the sports editor at the JC Press, decrying the just-announced move to the ASun.

If it's who I think it was, he no longer works there.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - ETSUfan#2 - 03-10-2016 09:35 PM

Florida Gulf Coast would be smart to look at a move to the Sun Belt or some other conference. ETSU was smart enough to go back to the Southern Conference. Belmont moved to the Ohio Valley Conference.

For better or worse, that conference could easily collapse within the next few years, unless several other teams don't move up toe NCAA D1, or unless another conference doesn't collapse out of nowhere.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 03-11-2016 05:33 PM

(03-10-2016 09:35 PM)ETSUfan#2 Wrote:  Florida Gulf Coast would be smart to look at a move to the Sun Belt or some other conference. ETSU was smart enough to go back to the Southern Conference. Belmont moved to the Ohio Valley Conference.

For better or worse, that conference could easily collapse within the next few years, unless several other teams don't move up toe NCAA D1, or unless another conference doesn't collapse out of nowhere.

They've been shopping everywhere. They don't play football, so outside of the Missouri Valley, Summitt, Horizon, A-10, etc... they don't have anything to offer. And none of those are really feasible for either FGCU or those conferences.
Big difference in the cost of land and construction in Johnson City vs. Naples.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-gulf-coast-looked-football-really-expensive-162148622--ncaaf.html

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - etsuandpurdue3 - 03-11-2016 09:19 PM

Both FGCU and North Florida want to get football going as soon as they can to get out of the ASUN. I'd imagine the Big South might pick them up if they add football.

RE: Interesting situation in the ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 03-13-2016 07:59 PM

Neither have the money, and UNF's president is sort of open to it after making them agree not to add football as a condition to move to division I