CSNbbs
Conference seeding tie breakers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Conference seeding tie breakers (/thread-771967.html)

Conference seeding tie breakers - goherd24herdfans - 02-27-2016 08:50 PM

It appears we would go down the tie breaking list and end at "overall record vs divisional opponents only".

Assuming MTSU and MU win out, that would give the herd the edge at 9-2, as opposed to Middle at 8-2.

Is this correct? If anyone else has a handle on this and has looked at the scenarios, then please share. I skimmed it over and wanted to start the discussion. It is huge to be either 2 or 3 seed in this tourney, and not face UAB until the title game.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - deb025 - 02-27-2016 08:56 PM

(02-27-2016 08:50 PM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  It appears we would go down the tie breaking list and end at "overall record vs divisional opponents only".

Assuming MTSU and MU win out, that would give the herd the edge at 9-2, as opposed to Middle at 8-2.

Is this correct? If anyone else has a handle on this and has looked at the scenarios, then please share. I skimmed it over and wanted to start the discussion. It is huge to be either 2 or 3 seed in this tourney, and not face UAB until the title game.

I don't know. All I know is that Tech controls it's own destiny. If we can beat Marshall and WKU to close out the year then we will be the 2nd seed. Of course this is going to be a very tough task but at least we have a fighting chance.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - Surbadger - 02-27-2016 08:58 PM

(02-27-2016 08:56 PM)deb025 Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 08:50 PM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  It appears we would go down the tie breaking list and end at "overall record vs divisional opponents only".

I don't know. All I know is that Tech controls it's own destiny. If we can beat Marshall and WKU to close out the year then we will be the 2nd seed. Of course this is going to be a very tough task but at least we have a fighting chance.

Thursday will be very important for both teams. Will that not solidify the top 3 teams?

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - deb025 - 02-27-2016 09:01 PM

(02-27-2016 08:58 PM)Surbadger Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 08:56 PM)deb025 Wrote:  

Thursday will be very important for both teams. Will that not solidify the top 3 teams?

I think it does but I can't speak for sure. We own the tie breaker over MTSU because of our win against them earlier this year. This upcoming game against Marshall is going to be huge! Hopefully we will have McCree back for it.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - BeliefBlazer - 02-27-2016 09:03 PM

I understand it this way:

2 team tie-breaker is head to head.
3 team tie-breaker is winning percentage versus each other.

So in case of MT, Tech, and Herd tie - currently.
LA Tech is 1-0
Herd is 1-1
MT is 1-2

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - ThreeifbyLightning - 02-27-2016 09:16 PM

I don't believe the three way is percentage against each other.

It goes to record against conference opponents starting at the top and you keep going down the list until you break the tie.

So, MT, Tech, and Marshall tie start with UAB and who has the best record against the Blazers. If the records are the same, you still have a tie then you would skip the three tied teams at second and jump down to fifth and the records against that team. Still tied records against sixth and so on.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - NanoDawg - 02-27-2016 09:19 PM

In that case Tech should have the advantage due to our win against UAB

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - BeliefBlazer - 02-27-2016 09:19 PM

Here's the rules: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/tiebreakers.pdf so record versus each other breaks the 3 way tie, then use head to head for last 2 teams.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - ThreeifbyLightning - 02-27-2016 09:23 PM

Thanks. Disregard mine. Must be old formula.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - BeliefBlazer - 02-27-2016 09:25 PM

(02-27-2016 09:23 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Thanks. Disregard mine. Must be old formula.

Actually looks like are using a combination of what we both said this year. 2 team head to head used to be completely disregarded in a 3 way race.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - BlazintheATL - 02-27-2016 09:46 PM

There's still a lot of moving pieces. Things will be a lot more clear after Marshall and Tech play Thurs. Whoever wins that game will likely be on the opposite side of the bracket from UAB.

RE: Conference seeding tie breakers - Ramsay7884 - 02-28-2016 12:47 AM

UAB is #1 for sure, the winner of La Tech Marshall will be the 2 if they also win Saturday, Middle will get the 3 with two wins and La Tech or Marshall 2-0 next week. ODU can will be no worse than a 5 with a win. They can even be the 2 seed with MTSU 0-2 Marshall 0-2 and La Tech 1-2.