CSNbbs
Big XII kiss off - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Big XII kiss off (/thread-771842.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Big XII kiss off - uiniu57 - 02-26-2016 03:45 PM

Here's an article on Big 12 expansion that includes NIU as one of a dozen potential members including Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Florida State, Houston, Memphis, SMU, UConn and USF.

The "non-football outlook" isn't too positive:

Football might be the one bright spot, if you'd call it that, about NIU. Of the other major college sports, Northern Illinois has largely been erratic in basketball and baseball.

and the "Pros/Cons" gets pointedly negative:
Adding NIU would give the Big 12 another school close to Iowa State and it'd give them a school in Big Ten territory. But what does NIU really have to offer the Big 12? Jordan Lynch is gone and the football team average the ninth fewest fans per game in the NCAA last season.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/02/25/big-12-expansion-looking-proscons-schools-like-cincinnati-byu-uconn-houston-smu-even-florida-state

RE: Big XII kiss off - MaddDawgz02 - 02-26-2016 04:02 PM

(02-26-2016 03:45 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Here's an article on Big 12 expansion that includes NIU as one of a dozen potential members including Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Florida State, Houston, Memphis, SMU, UConn and USF.

Football might be the one bright spot, if you'd call it that, about NIU. Of the other major college sports, Northern Illinois has largely been erratic in basketball and baseball.

Adding NIU would give the Big 12 another school close to Iowa State and it'd give them a school in Big Ten territory. But what does NIU really have to offer the Big 12? Jordan Lynch is gone and the football team average the ninth fewest fans per game in the NCAA last season.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/02/25/big-12-expansion-looking-proscons-schools-like-cincinnati-byu-uconn-houston-smu-even-florida-state

I wouldn't put much stock into an online poorly written rag. The Big 12 would gain a huge media market in Chicago. It would be a coup for the conference

RE: Big XII kiss off - kflyer - 02-26-2016 04:09 PM

(02-26-2016 03:45 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Here's an article on Big 12 expansion that includes NIU as one of a dozen potential members including Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Florida State, Houston, Memphis, SMU, UConn and USF.

Starting to think the with easy flight access to Chicago and having games in places like the Cellular Filed are now making sense. Could be a big draw for a lot of out towners looking past the game…Good thinking ahead and planning by the Athletic Department. Of course if the Sox are in post season…

RE: Big XII kiss off - GCD70 - 02-26-2016 04:16 PM

(02-26-2016 04:02 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

I wouldn't put much stock into an online poorly written rag. The Big 12 would gain a huge media market in Chicago. It would be a coup for the conference

We are so far from being a big 12 school. I always thought this was a pipe dream at best. They do not need us and it just was never going to happen.

RE: Big XII kiss off - Stay Cool - 02-26-2016 04:20 PM

(02-26-2016 04:16 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  

We are so far from being a big 12 school. I always thought this was a pipe dream at best. They do not need us and it just was never going to happen.
Yeah even i don't believe it, but it's fun to play Devil's advocate

That's not to say there hasn't been dialogue though, however one sided it may have been. Probably got like a list of demands or something

"Meet these requirements, then we'll talk" or something rather. I dunno

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: Big XII kiss off - 4PhaseDelta - 02-26-2016 04:35 PM

(02-26-2016 04:16 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  

This will always be the thought I had in my mind that may be there 10-20 years from now when I have a kid in high school/college... If NIU hadn't crapped the bed in 2013 and gone to a second BCS bowl in two consecutive years... we could've snuck in to the Big 12 (or at least had the AAC throwing all sorts of stuff at us to get us to join). We literally were a game away from a PERFECT SEASON (Minus the bcs bowl outcome). A game away from a completely different future. Now were here scrapping every season to show folks that our domination hasn't been a fluke. The fact that we haven't won a bowl game since 2011 is kinda depressing as well.

RE: Big XII kiss off - 4PhaseDelta - 02-26-2016 04:44 PM

Realistically... if the Big XII expands back to 12, they're gona go after Houston, BYU, or Colorado St.... FSU isn't going to the Big 12 (they'd go SEC wayyyyyy before they ever think of a Big 12 jump), USF in the Big 12 just seems odd as well (but if FSU ever goes SEC, then USF may be their replacement or UConn). Boise is waiting for hell to freeze over and the PAC throw them a bone. Actually... BYU has a much stronger chance of a PAC offer than Boise would, so yeah... Cincy would either end up ACC or even B1G, but I cant see them in the Big XII either. SMU just isn't strong enough in football yet, but that team is so dedicated to keeping Texas players in Texas, who know's what could happen. Mempis... could maybe end up down there, but i dont see them getting it either..... At the end of the day, it's Houston and BYU as the favorites, with CSU not too far behind... NIU and SMU are probably in a tie, with SMU getting a slight advantage due to basically being in Dallas (it comes down too, do we wana poach B1G talent and give NIU a shot, or keep this a Texas affair and give a spot to SMU). Every other team mentioned I just couldn't see happening (but then again, WVU seemed like a team that was wayyy too out of place, and they still ended up getting the nod, so who knows now-a-days)

RE: Big XII kiss off - Dog Fan - 02-26-2016 04:46 PM

This talk about going to the Big 12 has always been so entertaining to me. Sort of like a skinny pimply turd-faced nerd thinking he can seduce and have sex with a super model. There ain't no way we are Big 12 material, and it probably won't happen in my lifetime. (I should live so long!) Let's work on winning games on our schedule, in our conference (Hey, how about beating CMU this year?), and maybe, for once, winning something in the post season. How come there was no Big 12 talk after our glorious 33-yard offensive show in the Poinsettia Bowl? How come there's no Big 12 talk when we discuss our 13K average attendance in our 24K stadium or anemic season ticket base?

RE: Big XII kiss off - HuskieJohn - 02-26-2016 04:53 PM

Lots of "IFs"

Right now we need the state to agree on a budget so that we can break ground on the Phase I of the master plan. No matter what (MAC, AAC or B12) we need that premium structure with as many indoor and heated club seats as possible.

Other then that the only thing we can do is show up to the games and bring people with us.

RE: Big XII kiss off - HuskieAlumnus03 - 02-26-2016 05:08 PM

03-yawn

RE: Big XII kiss off - 4PhaseDelta - 02-26-2016 05:09 PM

NIU is sadly a place that wont change until they're dropped into a different environment. If you tell NIU students (current and prospective) that we ARE now apart of the Big XII conference, there would be a complete 180 on campus... but since the school has lost trust with students after the whole, "nobody wins free tuition" thing, it's gona be even more difficult to get the point across that we need EXCELLENT attendance to go along with the Great football team we have playing in order to be given any sort of shot. If NIU is one more hour west, we would no longer be a commuter school, game attendance would be higher, but sadly we're in the position were in and there's nothing that can be done until some big time conference just judges us off of wins and major city proximity alone... Us being an hour and a half from Chicago is more of a curse than people realize.

RE: Big XII kiss off - thehappyhuskie - 02-26-2016 05:15 PM

(02-26-2016 04:46 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  This talk about going to the Big 12 has always been so entertaining to me. Sort of like a skinny pimply turd-faced nerd thinking he can seduce and have sex with a super model. There ain't no way we are Big 12 material, and it probably won't happen in my lifetime. (I should live so long!) Let's work on winning games on our schedule, in our conference (Hey, how about beating CMU this year?), and maybe, for once, winning something in the post season. How come there was no Big 12 talk after our glorious 33-yard offensive show in the Poinsettia Bowl? How come there's no Big 12 talk when we discuss our 13K average attendance in our 24K stadium or anemic season ticket base?

03-2thumbsup

RE: Big XII kiss off - BDB5yp - 02-26-2016 07:47 PM

(02-26-2016 05:15 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 04:46 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  This talk about going to the Big 12 has always been so entertaining to me. Sort of like a skinny pimply turd-faced nerd thinking he can seduce and have sex with a super model. There ain't no way we are Big 12 material, and it probably won't happen in my lifetime. (I should live so long!) Let's work on winning games on our schedule, in our conference (Hey, how about beating CMU this year?), and maybe, for once, winning something in the post season. How come there was no Big 12 talk after our glorious 33-yard offensive show in the Poinsettia Bowl? How come there's no Big 12 talk when we discuss our 13K average attendance in our 24K stadium or anemic season ticket base?

03-2thumbsup

The truth hurts. I mentioned on another thread that it will be hard for NIU to move on without the fan support and continued winning. The country sees our empty stadium. Doesn't look good no matter how good the product is on the field. We need to go undefeated to get the Nations attention once again....

RE: Big XII kiss off - DogPoundNorth - 02-26-2016 08:02 PM

(02-26-2016 07:47 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 05:15 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  

03-2thumbsup

The truth hurts. I mentioned on another thread that it will be hard for NIU to move on without the fan support and continued winning. The country sees our empty stadium. Doesn't look good no matter how good the product is on the field. We need to go undefeated to get the Nations attention once again....

We need MONEY. The team can win as a plus...but if you have money and the right market that is ALL that matters. We are close to the right market, we don't have any money. UCF has tons of money and could suck forever and still be in the mix for moving up. Houston, Cincinnati, BYU...these schools are loaded and usually research universities. You really think Rutgers has a winning football tradition? Hell, they are known more for scandals than they are winning. But they are close to New York and are a loaded institution. That's all that matters, yo.

RE: Big XII kiss off - MaddDawgz02 - 02-28-2016 04:31 AM

The amount of revenue the cash cow Chicago market would bring the Big 12 in advertising would be astronomical. That alone keeps NIU in the mix.

RE: Big XII kiss off - NIU007 - 02-28-2016 09:52 AM

Pffft. SEC for us.

RE: Big XII kiss off - The Frisky Biscuit - 02-28-2016 10:25 AM

(02-28-2016 04:31 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The amount of revenue the cash cow Chicago market would bring the Big 12 in advertising would be astronomical. That alone keeps NIU in the mix.

This. Is. Only. True. If. They. Have. A. Network.

They don't.

RE: Big XII kiss off - HuskieJohn - 02-29-2016 10:21 AM

(02-28-2016 10:25 AM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  
(02-28-2016 04:31 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The amount of revenue the cash cow Chicago market would bring the Big 12 in advertising would be astronomical. That alone keeps NIU in the mix.

They don't.

+1...AND if that network is only able to be accessed thru a regional cable provider.

If the network is able to have a subscriber using an App without a cable provider then NIU being in the Chicago TV market is worthless.

RE: Big XII kiss off - DogPoundNorth - 02-29-2016 10:38 AM

(02-29-2016 10:21 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

They don't.

+1...AND if that network is only able to be accessed thru a regional cable provider.

If the network is able to have a subscriber using an App without a cable provider then NIU being in the Chicago TV market is worthless.

Which as we all know, is probably the wave of the future.

RE: Big XII kiss off - randyfensfanclub1 - 02-29-2016 10:41 AM

(02-29-2016 10:21 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

They don't.

And one that would be owned through ESPN so they can bundle. If they had one, no one would pay extra for it willingly.