CSNbbs
To form the 6th P6 Conference - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: To form the 6th P6 Conference (/thread-771709.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

To form the 6th P6 Conference - Wilkie01 - 02-25-2016 04:59 PM

To form the 6th P6 Conference what 12, 14 or 16 G5 teams would you need to accomplish this? My guess is these teams:

1) San Diego State
2) BYU
3) Boise State
4) Colorado State
5) Air Force
6) Houston
7) Northern Illinois
8) Army
9) Cincinnati
10) Connecticut
11) Temple
12) Navy
13) Memphis
14) East Carolina
15) Central Florida
16) South Florida

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - ark30inf - 02-25-2016 05:12 PM

I think any 16 teams could do it if they could get the approval of the P5.

And no list of 26 teams could do it otherwise.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - C2__ - 02-25-2016 05:18 PM

You'd actually need to only 9 or so teams. Having too many can lead to deadweight. Take the best of the rest:

Boise
Cincinnati
UConn
Hawai'i football only (for late night TV)
Houston
Memphis
UCF
San Diego State
SMU (just to have one private and a slice of DFW)
UNLV (conference tourney)

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - Maize - 02-25-2016 05:20 PM

The answer is no...not one tent pole program in the bunch....the ACC has FSU/Clemson/Miami...the Pac 12 has Southern Cal and strong program in Oregon, Washington...the B1G has Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State...the Big XII has Oklahoma and Texas and of course the SEC has Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - HeartOfDixie - 02-25-2016 05:29 PM

I don't think that would make a power conference, sorry.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - BigEastHomer - 02-25-2016 05:36 PM

(02-25-2016 05:20 PM)Maize Wrote:  The answer is no...not one tent pole program in the bunch....the ACC has FSU/Clemson/Miami...the Pac 12 has Southern Cal and strong program in Oregon, Washington...the B1G has Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State...the Big XII has Oklahoma and Texas and of course the SEC has Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee

Perception is fluid.

Florida State wasn't always Florida State.

It can be argued that it goes both ways. The University of Miami used to prop up a conference and that is not the case anymore. You can scratch them off your "tentpole" list.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-25-2016 05:36 PM

There's no combination of G5 schools that would be grouped together to form a P6 conference. The best that could occur would be to completely raid the G5 even further, creating a "best of the rest" group that would be coast-to-coast. Not sure it would be in the best interests of the schools, travel wise, but perhaps that would get a higher TV/media contract than what the AAC currently gets now.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - YNot - 02-25-2016 05:36 PM

(02-25-2016 04:59 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  To form the 6th P6 Conference what 12, 14 or 16 G5 teams would you need to accomplish this? My guess is these teams:

1) San Diego State
2) BYU
3) Boise State
4) Colorado State
5) Air Force
6) Houston
7) Northern Illinois
8) Army
9) Cincinnati
10) Connecticut
11) Temple
12) Navy
13) Memphis
14) East Carolina
15) Central Florida
16) South Florida

If each of these teams actually delivered their local markets for a conference TV network, at even $0.25 per household per month, most of the schools on the list would make more media money from that network alone than the status quo (math comes out to about $5.5M per school...If they could negotiate $1.00 per household in local markets, that would equal P6 money.....again, IF...).

If this conference essentially grabbed all the existing annual media payouts from the AAC, MWC, BYU, and Army-Navy TV deals, that would amount to about $40M per year. ($2.5M per institution).

So, the annual media payout *could* reach $8 million per member IF they established a successful conference network and pooled inventory and resources from the existing contracts. They could get P6 money if the members actually delivered their local markets at the in-market rate.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - C2__ - 02-25-2016 05:43 PM

(02-25-2016 05:29 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't think that would make a power conference, sorry.

Are you replying to me or the OP? FTR, I think mine is a bit short too but I also considered TV, though I probably should have added Navy, who recruits heavily in the footprint of my hypothetical conference, perhaps in place of UNLV.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - C2__ - 02-25-2016 05:45 PM

(02-25-2016 05:36 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Perception is fluid.

Florida State wasn't always Florida State.

It can be argued that it goes both ways. The University of Miami used to prop up a conference and that is not the case anymore. You can scratch them off your "tentpole" list.

Perception seems to be based on whether or not you're currently in the club because many AAC teams have far more history than schools already inside the club.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - SuperFlyBCat - 02-25-2016 05:49 PM

Only by act of of God or Trump, call it the Trump Conference.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - Kittonhead - 02-25-2016 05:54 PM

To achieve P6 status without doubt you need to have BYU in that conference. No question about it.

An AAC with BYU+Colorado State would be compelling IMO as a P6. Deep enough in football to consider their inclusion.

If you are a MAC or CUSA fan, having the AAC become a P6 is a good thing as you'll get to split the autobid among 4 conferences instead of 5 with the strongest conference AAC no longer competing for it.

AAC (Colorado St, BYU)
MWC (UTEP)
CUSA (Louisiana)
SBC (New Mexico St)

That would even things out for everyone, IMO.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - HeartOfDixie - 02-25-2016 05:57 PM

(02-25-2016 05:43 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(02-25-2016 05:29 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't think that would make a power conference, sorry.

Are you replying to me or the OP? FTR, I think mine is a bit short too but I also considered TV, though I probably should have added Navy, who recruits heavily in the footprint of my hypothetical conference, perhaps in place of UNLV.

OP

My bad

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - YNot - 02-25-2016 06:43 PM

(02-25-2016 05:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  To achieve P6 status without doubt you need to have BYU in that conference. No question about it.

An AAC with BYU+Colorado State would be compelling IMO as a P6. Deep enough in football to consider their inclusion.

If you are a MAC or CUSA fan, having the AAC become a P6 is a good thing as you'll get to split the autobid among 4 conferences instead of 5 with the strongest conference AAC no longer competing for it.

AAC (Colorado St, BYU)
MWC (UTEP)
CUSA (Louisiana)
SBC (New Mexico St)

That would likely mean that the AAC has its own autobid. Which would probably only happen if the NY6 becomes the NY7 or NY8.

Which bowl could the AAC try to elevate? The idea of an NY7 bowl game in New York or Las Vegas might have some appeal - though the logistics may be unworkable.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - quo vadis - 02-25-2016 06:45 PM

(02-25-2016 05:36 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(02-25-2016 05:20 PM)Maize Wrote:  The answer is no...not one tent pole program in the bunch....the ACC has FSU/Clemson/Miami...the Pac 12 has Southern Cal and strong program in Oregon, Washington...the B1G has Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State...the Big XII has Oklahoma and Texas and of course the SEC has Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee

Perception is fluid.

Over time, yes. But as of now, there is no combination of G5 schools that would have the market value to command P5 membership. Not even close.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - Kittonhead - 02-25-2016 06:52 PM

(02-25-2016 06:43 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(02-25-2016 05:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  To achieve P6 status without doubt you need to have BYU in that conference. No question about it.

AAC (Colorado St, BYU)
MWC (UTEP)
CUSA (Louisiana)
SBC (New Mexico St)

That would likely mean that the AAC has its own autobid. Which would probably only happen if the NY6 becomes the NY7 or NY8.

Which bowl could the AAC try to elevate? The idea of an NY7 bowl game in New York or Las Vegas might have some appeal - though the logistics may be unworkable.

NY8 so the Rose Bowl only has to host semis 1 time every 4 years.

The Holiday Bowl and Capital One bowls were finalist last time for NY6 inclusion. Two big media markets to add to the TV portfolio.

The AAC champ could go to the Capital One Bowl with both UCF/USF in close proximity.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - Attackcoog - 02-25-2016 06:54 PM

(02-25-2016 05:36 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(02-25-2016 04:59 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  To form the 6th P6 Conference what 12, 14 or 16 G5 teams would you need to accomplish this? My guess is these teams:

1) San Diego State
2) BYU
3) Boise State
4) Colorado State
5) Air Force
6) Houston
7) Northern Illinois
8) Army
9) Cincinnati
10) Connecticut
11) Temple
12) Navy
13) Memphis
14) East Carolina
15) Central Florida
16) South Florida

If each of these teams actually delivered their local markets for a conference TV network, at even $0.25 per household per month, most of the schools on the list would make more media money from that network alone than the status quo (math comes out to about $5.5M per school...If they could negotiate $1.00 per household in local markets, that would equal P6 money.....again, IF...).

If this conference essentially grabbed all the existing annual media payouts from the AAC, MWC, BYU, and Army-Navy TV deals, that would amount to about $40M per year. ($2.5M per institution).

So, the annual media payout *could* reach $8 million per member IF they established a successful conference network and pooled inventory and resources from the existing contracts. They could get P6 money if the members actually delivered their local markets at the in-market rate.

To me, that's the best model going forward. Don't worry about getting a big carriage rate---just get .35 cents a month "in state" and maybe a dime a month everywhere else. The goal---get in at least 70 million households.

Assuming you cant start with a blank slate, we would need to use either the AAC or MW as the base conference. The AAC has a larger population footprint and is about to lose 2 members, so there's your best choice.

Schools/State/States rank in population.

Temple--PA #6
Navy-Maryland-#19
ECU--N Carolina-#9
UCF/USF-Florida-#3
Memphis-Tenn-#17
SMU/Houston-Texas-#2
Tulsa-Oklahoma-#28
Tulane-Louisiana-#25

Not a bad start. Now add--

Army-New York-#4
Air Force-Colorado-#22
SDSU/Fresno-California-#1

That's 14. I'd stop there. If I can get BYU, I'll add 2 more. Otherwise, your conference network is in the #1, #2, #3, #4, #6, and #9 states. Those 5 states comprise more than 128 million people, a third of the US population. The remaining schools add another 26.7 million.

That's about 40% of the US population paying the .35 a month "in state" rate. The rest will get the AAC Network for 5 or 10 cents a month. If you keep the price low, you can get it into more basic cable packages. Like I said, aim for 70 million homes.

70 million homes
28 million homes pay .35 a month--117.6 million a year
42 million homes pay just 10 cents a month--50.4 million

Total AACN Revenue---168 million a year split 50/50 with network partner (who pay all expenses)=84 million.

ESPN/Other TV contract--30 million (virtually no raise)

Total media income-114 million or around 8.1 million per team. At 70 million subscribers, the conference net income increases 17.5 million, or 1.25 million per team for every .extra nickel a month per subscriber. So, as the conference becomes more popular, there is a way to monetize that popularity---by raising the carriage rate, by increasing the number of subscribers, or by doing both. Eight million a team isn't a power conference, but its a big step up from the G5. Its basically a poor mans P6.

Such a conference would have no contract bowl, but it would likely dominate the access bowl slot. It could also spin off a bit of that network money to create a bowl that pays enough to lure a high selection from a P5 as an opponent (or maybe to get into a solid bowl pool with some better non-CFP bowls). That would give the conference a nice signature bowl that could serve as the conference champion's "guaranteed" post season destination, but would more often than not, serve as a quality consolation prize for the AAC runner up.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - loki_the_bubba - 02-25-2016 06:55 PM

AAC (Colorado St, BYU)
MWC (UTEP)
CUSA (Louisiana)
SBC (New Mexico St)

LOL. About as compelling as the Sun Belt plus BYU and CSU to anyone that matters.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - ken d - 02-25-2016 07:00 PM

(02-25-2016 06:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2016 05:36 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Perception is fluid.

Over time, yes. But as of now, there is no combination of G5 schools that would have the market value to command P5 membership. Not even close.

I agree. The only caveat I would have with respect to this question is if the formation of such a conference would cause all the rest of the teams currently in the G5 to be relegated to a lower division. But even if there were only 6 FBS conferences, that would be no guarantee that the current five would give semi-equal status, financially or otherwise, to the newbies.

RE: To form the 6th P6 Conference - Thegoldstandard - 02-25-2016 07:13 PM

(02-25-2016 06:55 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

AAC (Colorado St, BYU)
MWC (UTEP)
CUSA (Louisiana)
SBC (New Mexico St)

LOL. About as compelling as the Sun Belt plus BYU and CSU to anyone that matters.

I think the only group that could achieve the P status would have in include one team Notre dame. Otherwise it not gonna happen no matter what combination u put together.