CSNbbs
UH Basketball Arena concepts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: UH Basketball Arena concepts (/thread-770905.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UH Basketball Arena concepts - CougarRed - 02-18-2016 07:00 PM

We are in the final stages of selecting an architect for the $60M basketball arena renovation.

Here are some pictures presented to the Board of Regents today. I assume these come from one or more of the bid proposals we've received.

Note the exterior facade in the second picture matches the new basketball practice facility (i.e., the building with a UH on it to the left in the second pic).

It's going to look and feel like a brand new building.

[Image: xgites.jpg]

[Image: Cbh8-TSUAAABtSX.jpg]

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - CornellCoog - 02-18-2016 07:16 PM

I like it. I was able to see some conceptual drawings for the football practice bubble as well as a $35 million TDECU expansion that these would compliment quite well. The $35 million addition to TDECU is amazing looking (won't add seats).

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - TforTempleU - 02-18-2016 07:17 PM

Looks very nice

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - vcoog - 02-18-2016 07:31 PM

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill... it is pretty though.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - rtaylor - 02-18-2016 07:40 PM

(02-18-2016 07:16 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  I like it. I was able to see some conceptual drawings for the football practice bubble as well as a $35 million TDECU expansion that these would compliment quite well. The $35 million addition to TDECU is amazing looking (won't add seats).

What are they planning on doing to your brand new stadium?

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - TheBigEastSucks - 02-18-2016 07:50 PM

(02-18-2016 07:00 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  We are in the final stages of selecting an architect for the $60M basketball arena renovation.

Here are some pictures presented to the Board of Regents today. I assume these come from one or more of the bid proposals we've received.

Note the exterior facade in the second picture matches the new basketball practice facility (i.e., the building with a UH on it to the left in the second pic).

It's going to look and feel like a brand new building.

[Image: Cbh8-TSUAAABtSX.jpg]

I thought the current coliseum looked prett good on tv. Guess it isn't as nice as I thought

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Kronke - 02-18-2016 07:54 PM

[Image: b3liso.jpg]

[Image: ptb8w.jpg]

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Kronke - 02-18-2016 07:55 PM

(02-18-2016 07:40 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 07:16 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  The $35 million addition to TDECU is amazing looking (won't add seats).

Good question, I've never seen or heard anything about this.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Borncoog74 - 02-18-2016 09:49 PM

(02-18-2016 07:55 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 07:40 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 07:16 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  The $35 million addition to TDECU is amazing looking (won't add seats).

Good question, I've never seen or heard anything about this.

Finish what they started....

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - vodka - 02-18-2016 09:52 PM

waste of money

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - CornellCoog - 02-18-2016 09:55 PM

Turn both of the visitors locker rooms into a home locker room that would be attached to the new practice facility. Throw in coaches offices, a player rec room, and a really cool looking recruiting lounge that would overlook TDECU Stadium by jutting out just to the North of the scoreboard/replay board. It wouldn't add seats, although the recruiting lounge would likely be another "club area" on game days as players cannot be in there during a game. We apparently have over half of the $18 million needed for the practice facility which is why the board approved of it today and over $30 million for the arena is pledged. It's a new day on Cullen!

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - robertfoshizzle - 02-18-2016 09:57 PM

I love everything about it except for the seating layout. Isn't there a way to get all the seats in the corners facing the court?

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Carolina_Low_Country - 02-18-2016 10:22 PM

No American Logo on the courts. 05-stirthepot

Minges is such a dump I wish we would put some money into our arena.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Attackcoog - 02-18-2016 10:53 PM

(02-18-2016 10:22 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  No American Logo on the courts. 05-stirthepot

Minges is such a dump I wish we would put some money into our arena.

I wonder how old these renderings are. The Coog logo on the scoreboard isn't really used anymore.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - Kronke - 02-18-2016 11:22 PM

(02-18-2016 09:57 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I love everything about it except for the seating layout. Isn't there a way to get all the seats in the corners facing the court?

Probably, but I'd note the "original concept" and the final product of TDECU were two, vastly different things. I'd take these pictures with a grain of salt.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - CougarRed - 02-19-2016 03:22 AM

(02-18-2016 09:57 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I love everything about it except for the seating layout. Isn't there a way to get all the seats in the corners facing the court?

Sure there is. It has to do with the aisle placement and shape of the sections.

Compare:

With:

[Image: 678390706.jpg]

[Image: dal_court2_576.jpg]

Also, yesterday's rendering looks like a different seating set up from what was shown to the Regents a couple of months ago:

[Image: 23ht95c.jpg]

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - KnightLight - 02-19-2016 07:23 AM

(02-18-2016 07:50 PM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  I thought the current coliseum looked prett good on tv. Guess it isn't as nice as I thought

Hofheinz Pavilion opened in 1969 and while the low ceiling bowl seating area looks ok, most of the building shows its age...as major renovation is basically needed to bring it up to code and/or extend the life of the building.

5-6 years ago, then UH Coach Penders and some players mentioned in an infamous NY Times article on just how deteriorated much of the players/coaching areas of the arena had become.

Also, as with most renovated facilities, some new revenue producing amenities will be added, plus updated all other areas of the building, including the outside bunker like appearance.

[Image: 570_Houston_Cougars_Hofheinz_Pavilion_3.jpg]

UH Trivia:

UH Hoops had multiple places they called home prior to Hofheinz opening in 1969.

Here was one of their previous places they use to call home, what was the name of this facility?

[Image: 11gug3q.jpg]

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - nsmith6 - 02-19-2016 08:20 AM

(02-19-2016 07:23 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 07:50 PM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  I thought the current coliseum looked prett good on tv. Guess it isn't as nice as I thought

Hofheinz Pavilion opened in 1969 and while the low ceiling bowl seating area looks ok, most of the building shows its age...as major renovation is basically needed to bring it up to code and/or extend the life of the building.

5-6 years ago, then UH Coach Penders and some players mentioned in an infamous NY Times article on just how deteriorated much of the players/coaching areas of the arena had become.

Also, as with most renovated facilities, some new revenue producing amenities will be added, plus updated all other areas of the building, including the outside bunker like appearance.

UH Trivia:

UH Hoops had multiple places they called home prior to Hofheinz opening in 1969.

Here was one of their previous places they use to call home, what was the name of this facility?

That looks like the Sam Houston Coliseum. I vaguely remember going to a couple events there with my parents when I was very young, but I think it's been either torn down or sitting unused for quite a while now.

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - KnightLight - 02-19-2016 08:33 AM

(02-19-2016 08:20 AM)nsmith6 Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 07:23 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

UH Trivia:

That looks like the Sam Houston Coliseum. I vaguely remember going to a couple events there with my parents when I was very young, but I think it's been either torn down or sitting unused for quite a while now.

Yep...the Coliseum opened in 1937 and was demolished in 1998.

[Image: aYm8AjB.jpg]

For decades, it was home to various events, concerts, basketball and hockey teams.

One of those acts were the Beatles, who played there in 1965

[Image: beatles-houston-500.jpg]

RE: UH Basketball Arena concepts - uhmump95 - 02-19-2016 09:42 AM

That is one thing I hate about Houston. We never maintain our buildings and think that is always better to build new rather than update and retain a bit of history.