CSNbbs
GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo (/thread-770381.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - emu steve - 02-13-2016 11:26 PM

According to this evening's standings we are one game out of a tie for seventh place (w. CMU and NIU, both tied at 6 - 6, with us holding a tie breaker over CMU but not NIU, because of our loss to them.)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/standings

As I'd guess this thread will develop, Antonio Campbell (Ohio), Nathan Boothe (Toledo) and James Thompson IV (EMU) have sterling statistics and are some absolutely excellent centers. I think as good as we get in the MAC. These should be classic match-ups.

It may (or may not) be a surprise to some, but many in the MAC are split, probably evenly, who is the best center in the conference.

We know JT4. We pretty well know Nathan Boothe. Antonio Campbell has been putting up some excellent numbers at Ohio.

This will be a week to enjoy EMU basketball...

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - emu steve - 02-14-2016 05:45 AM

For those curious what Antonio Campbell did Friday? 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow

http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2016/2/12/MBB_0212160651.aspx

And Tuesday, more of the same:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400840914

JT4 and Campbell are putting up absolutely gaudy numbers... Right now Campbell is putty up even better numbers, if that's possible.

And this post (from the main MAC board has the standings in an easy to read format):

RE: Basketball 2/7-2/13
current standings, for teams with identical records I've put their records against each other in parenthesis to show tie breakers.

9-3 Akron

7-5 Ohio (5-1)
7-5 Buffalo (3-2)
7-5 Toledo (2-3, 1-0 v KSU)
7-5 Kent St (2-3, 0-1 vs UT)
7-5 Ball St (1-4)

6-6 NIU (1-0)
6-6 CMU (0-1)

5-7 EMU

4-8 WMU (1-1)
4-8 BGSU (1-1)

3-9 Miami

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - emu79 - 02-14-2016 10:43 AM

Too teams I love to see us beat Toledo and WMU.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Bob Wickersham - 02-14-2016 10:57 AM

Thoughts on the Ohio game. If Raven Lee gets starter's minutes Eastern has a chance. If he gets 21-24 minutes, forget it and you can blame the loss on Murphy.

I expect Thompson to show that he is better than Campbell.

I also expect Simmons to show that he is better than Toney, unfortunately. Having the best PG in the conference is a huge commodity.

I don't have a lot of faith in Murphy right now, so I have to give the edge to Ohio on Tuesday.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - RamyEMU - 02-14-2016 11:42 AM

One of the reasons I would like to see Ray Lee play more is that he does not need the ball in his hands a lot on offense. Notice how quick he is with ball.

Lee gets a pass and he scopes the scene right away. He either drives or takes a shot or if nothing there he passes it off- sometimes in mid drive because the situation is not right. The ball keeps rotating, teammates stay engaged, and opportunities present themselves.

Also, notice how tightly teams respond to Lee when he has the ball. Simply rotating it in and out of Lee's hands forces the defense to constantly react. Eventually they slip up.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Luckeyone - 02-14-2016 01:14 PM

(02-14-2016 10:57 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Thoughts on the Ohio game. If Raven Lee gets starter's minutes Eastern has a chance. If he gets 21-24 minutes, forget it and you can blame the loss on Murphy.

I also expect Simmons to show that he is better than Toney, unfortunately. Having the best PG in the conference is a huge commodity.

I don't have a lot of faith in Murphy right now, so I have to give the edge to Ohio on Tuesday.

Why no faith in Murphy?

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - emu steve - 02-14-2016 01:46 PM

Borrowed post:

Pomeroy power rankings with change from last week:
68 Akron (+6)
110 Toledo (+9)
128 Ohio (+29)
141 Eastern Michigan (+5)
149 Buffalo (-28)
151 Ball State (+4)
153 Central Michigan (-25)
162 Northern Illinois (+6)
170 Kent State (-1)
190 Western Michigan (-7)
210 Bowling Green (-21)
272 Miami (-11)

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Bob Wickersham - 02-14-2016 03:37 PM

(02-14-2016 01:14 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 10:57 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Thoughts on the Ohio game. If Raven Lee gets starter's minutes Eastern has a chance. If he gets 21-24 minutes, forget it and you can blame the loss on Murphy.

Why no faith in Murphy?
He just can't admit he is wrong by benching Lee.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - EMU03' - 02-14-2016 06:30 PM

(02-14-2016 11:42 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  One of the reasons I would like to see Ray Lee play more is that he does not need the ball in his hands a lot on offense. Notice how quick he is with ball.

Lee gets a pass and he scopes the scene right away. He either drives or takes a shot or if nothing there he passes it off- sometimes in mid drive because the situation is not right. The ball keeps rotating, teammates stay engaged, and opportunities present themselves.

Also, notice how tightly teams respond to Lee when he has the ball. Simply rotating it in and out of Lee's hands forces the defense to constantly react. Eventually they slip up.

Great observations! Lee draws a lot of attention from the defense as both a shooting threat and driving into the paint. When you have a weapon that puts pressure on the defense as Raven does it opens things up for the other 4 on the floor. What will it take for him to get out of Murphy's doghouse?

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Luckeyone - 02-14-2016 08:19 PM

(02-14-2016 06:30 PM)EMU03 Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 11:42 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  One of the reasons I would like to see Ray Lee play more is that he does not need the ball in his hands a lot on offense. Notice how quick he is with ball.

Great observations! Lee draws a lot of attention from the defense as both a shooting threat and driving into the paint. When you have a weapon that puts pressure on the defense as Raven does it opens things up for the other 4 on the floor. What will it take for him to get out of Murphy's doghouse?

Agree - great points. Lee commands the full attention from the defense which provides scoring opportunities for his teammates. We have squandered Lee's talents. I can't see the 2nd rated MAC player on the team next year.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - emu steve - 02-14-2016 08:39 PM

(02-14-2016 08:19 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 06:30 PM)EMU03 Wrote:  

Agree - great points. Lee commands the full attention from the defense which provides scoring opportunities for his teammates. We have squandered Lee's talents. I can't see the 2nd rated MAC player on the team next year.

I think he plays the role of a sixth man, something well known in basketball.

There are no other proven scorers on the bench besides him.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Ken Barna - 02-14-2016 08:40 PM

Dear Luckeyone,
He (Lee) is a junior. He isn't going anywhere, unless he drops down a division. I will agree too, that I would like to see him play more. I believe Bond and Toney were the starters in the Kent game, and I think Lee does better when he comes off the bench.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Bob Wickersham - 02-14-2016 09:01 PM

(02-14-2016 08:40 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Luckeyone,
He (Lee) is a junior. He isn't going anywhere, unless he drops down a division. I will agree too, that I would like to see him play more. I believe Bond and Toney were the starters in the Kent game, and I think Lee does better when he comes off the bench.
Trust me, he wouldn't drop down a level, if anything he would move up to say...the Big 10. I know University of Iowa was very interested in him out of high school and would still be. Look at Bryn Forbes at Michigan State moving up from Cleveland State. Time to get real.

GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - TheWoodenNickle - 02-14-2016 10:29 PM

(02-14-2016 09:01 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
Trust me, he wouldn't drop down a level, if anything he would move up to say...the Big 10. I know University of Iowa was very interested in him out of high school and would still be. Look at Bryn Forbes at Michigan State moving up from Cleveland State. Time to get real.

The point is that Lee cannot transfer to any other D1 schools. He does not have a year available to sit out. That said, D2 would not do anything to improve his pro potential.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - Luckeyone - 02-14-2016 10:31 PM

Couldn't he transfer if he graduates in April?

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - EagleSam - 02-14-2016 10:43 PM

(02-14-2016 10:31 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Couldn't he transfer if he graduates in April?

Yes. If he does graduate, I'm sure there will be tons of teams beating down the door for him. It's one of the gimmicky parts of college hoops...that the big schools can poach the smaller schools' talent as a one-year rental if they've redshirted or graduated early.

GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - TheWoodenNickle - 02-14-2016 10:44 PM

(02-14-2016 10:43 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 10:31 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Couldn't he transfer if he graduates in April?

Yes. If he does graduate, I'm sure there will be tons of teams beating down the door for him. It's one of the gimmicky parts of college hoops...that the big schools can poach the smaller schools' talent as a one-year rental if they've redshirted or graduated early.

Good point. Does anyone know his academic standing?

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - RamyEMU - 02-14-2016 11:07 PM

I was trying to keep my points on Lee positive, because I don't want to second guess Coach Murphy who I think has done a good job overall with this program. But one of the consequences to the Coach's assessment of Ray Lee's fit, is that Ray Lee may legitimately want an opportunity to showcase his talents. His "as is" talents- taking the good with the bad. So transferring is a real possibility.

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY would this be a lower division transfer.

Most major programs will shy away given only 1 year of eligibiliity and the risk of taking on a "doghouse" player. But there are plenty of decent mid majors that will jump on the opportunity (Buffallo?). And if he is grad eligible transfer, I think that even opens things up with major programs.

So a transfer is very possible, but wouldn't necessarily improve Lee's situation. And certainly would be a bad situation for EMU. I think Murphy and Lee have to have a man to man (Not coach to kid) to figure out how they can hit restart, define reasonable expectations, etc and just move forward from all of this.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - EagleSam - 02-14-2016 11:13 PM

(02-14-2016 11:11 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 10:29 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 09:01 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

The point is that Lee cannot transfer to any other D1 schools. He does not have a year available to sit out. That said, D2 would not do anything to improve his pro potential.

Is that true? A year eligibility is a year eligibility I thought. The sit out year is not use of a year eligibility? I guess I don't know how that works.

If he doesn't graduate in April, he'd have to apply for a 6th year since he's already burned the redshirt. He'd probably get it, since most medical redshirts do, but he'd have to sit a year out to play one year somewhere else. Not very common, unless guys get kicked off of teams.

RE: GameWeeK: @Ohio and Toledo - RamyEMU - 02-14-2016 11:26 PM

(02-14-2016 11:13 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  If he doesn't graduate in April, he'd have to apply for a 6th year since he's already burned the redshirt. He'd probably get it, since most medical redshirts do, but he'd have to sit a year out to play one year somewhere else. Not very common, unless guys get kicked off of teams.

Ok, I should leave it to the experts such as you. So somebody may take him as a transfer but no actual guarantee he'd be able to play- however likely. (Unless grad transfer). That is my understanding of what you are saying. Thanks for clarifying.

I still think the two should come to some understanding. Lee will try a little harder to accommodate coaches orders, coach is going to lighten up a little. That would be best for everyone