CSNbbs
Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) (/thread-770212.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BlazintheATL - 02-14-2016 02:01 AM

(02-14-2016 01:35 AM)BandGrad Wrote:  Take the free throws away and we out scored La Tech by 10. Fouls decided this game.

Disagree. Even if La Tech was drawing more fouls before the end of the game it's because they were being more aggressivein the paint. Our most aggressive player in the paint is a 5'10 170 lbs point guard.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - Memphis Blazer - 02-14-2016 02:45 AM

La Tech shot more free throws because we fouled more. Most of those fouls were because we played bad defense for a lot of the game. One theory for the bad defense is we played we played a double overtime game two nights ago and most of our players played more minutes than they usually play. It may not have been the reason for the loss, but I think it contributed to the bad defense we played. It is the most understandable reason that they looked so tired in the second half.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - TheGORILLA - 02-14-2016 08:09 AM

How did UAB lose? Tech scored 30 points in their final 15 offensive possessions of the game, starting at the eight minute mark of the second half. That is an "incredible" statistic. UAB scored only 20 points in their final 15 offensive possessions of the game.

UABs defense faltered in the final eight minutes of the game.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BamaScorpio69 - 02-14-2016 08:13 AM

If UAB was tired from the double OT game on Thursday Night they sure didn't play like the first 8 mins of the game when they and LA Tech were running up and down the court like squirrels running across the street. Breaking down UAB defense is simple: penatrate, dish back out to the perimeter, make the extra pass, and there will be someone open for a three. Just pay attention to it the next game.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - KevMo4UAB - 02-14-2016 11:46 AM

Quotes from Jerod Haase after Saturday's loss in the Birmingham News.

"I'm getting tired of this season talking about the same story without us improving and learning from it. It was the same story. The second half, we came out, built a 10-point lead. I don't know, it's almost like we think it's going to be easy and not competing as hard."

"It only takes a couple of possessions where we're a step late, they build confidence and it spirals from there."

"Later in the half, they made some unbelievably tough shots, but that's part of the deal. When guys get confident, that's going to happen. You can't allow teams to get confident because of your lack of intensity and I was very disappointed in that."

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - Big Dee - 02-14-2016 11:51 AM

(02-14-2016 08:13 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  If UAB was tired from the double OT game on Thursday Night they sure didn't play like the first 8 mins of the game when they and LA Tech were running up and down the court like squirrels running across the street. Breaking down UAB defense is simple: penatrate, dish back out to the perimeter, make the extra pass, and there will be someone open for a three. Just pay attention to it the next game.

Or penatrate and drop it off to a big.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - The Answer UAB - 02-14-2016 11:52 AM

Seems like he agrees with some of us..

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - KevMo4UAB - 02-14-2016 11:57 AM

More quotes by Haase in the newspaper.

"It's not just one guy. It was an entire team of Hamilton getting the basket in transition because we don't sprint back and McCree, not staying down on shot fakes is lack of discipline and we're going to address those going forward."

"One thing you always look at is free throws and I think that showed which team is more aggressive in going to the basket. We need to do a better job of not having that discrepancy by having the better attack mentality."

"We have a lot to improve upon. I keep saying that. Hopefully we will improve this week. We know it's going to be a challenge, but we've got to do better."

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - The Answer UAB - 02-14-2016 12:07 PM

Lee also kind of disappeared this game. He didn't do much. He's super timid at going to the basket also

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BamaScorpio69 - 02-14-2016 12:23 PM

Fox Sports SE is about to replay the game at the bottom of the hour. You can look back and get a 2nd look at how UAB played yesterday defensively.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BamaScorpio69 - 02-14-2016 12:27 PM

(02-14-2016 12:07 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Lee also kind of disappeared this game. He didn't do much. He's super timid at going to the basket also

Lee didn't show up but I disagree about him being timid going to the basket. However, Lee needs to develop a low post game.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BlazerPhil - 02-14-2016 12:28 PM

(02-14-2016 11:52 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Seems like he agrees with some of us..

Yeah because we all know the coach is going to call out players for being tired or lacking fitness in the paper. 01-wingedeagle

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - Dragonz Lair - 02-14-2016 12:33 PM

(02-14-2016 11:46 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Quotes from Jerod Haase after Saturday's loss in the Birmingham News.

"I'm getting tired of this season talking about the same story without us improving and learning from it. It was the same story. The second half, we came out, built a 10-point lead. I don't know, it's almost like we think it's going to be easy and not competing as hard."

"It only takes a couple of possessions where we're a step late, they build confidence and it spirals from there."

"Later in the half, they made some unbelievably tough shots, but that's part of the deal. When guys get confident, that's going to happen. You can't allow teams to get confident because of your lack of intensity and I was very disappointed in that."

Bingo...and what's so disappointing is we really were the best team yesterday - we had the game under control...but when our heels were digging into their throats we let them up off the turf...chuckin' quick three's and spectating is not how you finish...we can only hope the guys listen to Coach Haase in the very near future

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - UABFRENCHY - 02-14-2016 12:44 PM

it is very difficult to defend long 3 , southern and la tech were hot ,,,
I dont know why the coach doesnt put dirt shadowing the best player from other team for the most of the game
also we need to have a big around the baskets when we shoot the ball
it will make the player focus more and remind them that it is difficult to win

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - BlazintheATL - 02-14-2016 01:44 PM

It's difficult to buy the fatigue explanation when what happened yesterday is something that happens nearly every game. Coach Haase nailed it with his quotes in the paper. As soon as we go up big it's like we let off the gas. Our defensive intensity lets up and our shot selection becomes poor. Hopefully this loss will help our team understand they have to play hard for 40 minutes to beat good teams in this league.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - blazers9911 - 02-14-2016 01:52 PM

(02-14-2016 01:44 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  It's difficult to buy the fatigue explanation when what happened yesterday is something that happens nearly every game. Coach Haase nailed it with his quotes in the paper. As soon as we go up big it's like we let off the gas. Our defensive intensity lets up and our shot selection becomes poor. Hopefully this loss will help our team understand they have to play hard for 40 minutes to beat good teams in this league.

I agree. The fatigue factor is way overblown in my opinion. These guys rarely turn a ten point lead into a 20 point blowout when they have the potential to do so in seemingly every game. It's a mental issue to me.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - jthrashr - 02-14-2016 01:53 PM

I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of games lately (there's a new Blazer in the family), but it seems like a lot of these runs happen when the second group is in the game.

Also, I think most opposing coaches at this point know that to beat our defense, you just need to rotate the ball quickly, and the last big will always be slow to rotate and step out on the defender. That said, LT made several threes where the guards created their own shots.

Still, it's not the three pointers that lost the game for us (we made more). It's the huge discrepancy in free throws, which has been a deciding factor in four of our losses.

We've lost 3 of 4 games where we attempted less than 11 free throws (the one win was against UTSA, so it hardly counts). On the flipside, in four of our losses, our opponents attempted more than 25 free throws.

Also, in all of our overtime games, we shot .571 or worse from the free throw line.

Some of the free throw problem stems from our offensive sets. We always have at least one big operating on the perimeter, which is fine. Four out and one in is a common set, but it appears that we rarely throw it to the big down low, and I'm not really advocating that we do so either. Still, it's rare to see us truly attack the basket unless we're forcing up a shot due to an expiring clock.

Our bigs are mediocre at best at creating their own shots, but both Lee and Cokley are great at finishing around the rim. I'd love to see us pick & roll more, especially with Lee's leaping ability. Over the past couple of games, Norton has been more comfortable/confident in driving towards the rim, plus his passing ability is perfect for P&Rs.

With the ballhandler and the big both attacking the rim, we'll see the free throw rate climb quickly (plus we'll be treated to several highlight reel dunks every game). Whenever the opposing team starts cheating to bring over a help defender from the corner, Norton can throw it to Robert or Dirk for a high percentage corner three.

Effectively, successful pick and rolls will yield high percentage shots at the rim, open threes, or free throws.

Okay, I'm finished with the armchair coaching now.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - Memphis Blazer - 02-14-2016 02:29 PM

(02-14-2016 01:53 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of games lately (there's a new Blazer in the family), but it seems like a lot of these runs happen when the second group is in the game.

Also, I think most opposing coaches at this point know that to beat our defense, you just need to rotate the ball quickly, and the last big will always be slow to rotate and step out on the defender. That said, LT made several threes where the guards created their own shots.

Still, it's not the three pointers that lost the game for us (we made more). It's the huge discrepancy in free throws, which has been a deciding factor in four of our losses.

We've lost 3 of 4 games where we attempted less than 11 free throws (the one win was against UTSA, so it hardly counts). On the flipside, in four of our losses, our opponents attempted more than 25 free throws.

Also, in all of our overtime games, we shot .571 or worse from the free throw line.

Some of the free throw problem stems from our offensive sets. We always have at least one big operating on the perimeter, which is fine. Four out and one in is a common set, but it appears that we rarely throw it to the big down low, and I'm not really advocating that we do so either. Still, it's rare to see us truly attack the basket unless we're forcing up a shot due to an expiring clock.

Our bigs are mediocre at best at creating their own shots, but both Lee and Cokley are great at finishing around the rim. I'd love to see us pick & roll more, especially with Lee's leaping ability. Over the past couple of games, Norton has been more comfortable/confident in driving towards the rim, plus his passing ability is perfect for P&Rs.

With the ballhandler and the big both attacking the rim, we'll see the free throw rate climb quickly (plus we'll be treated to several highlight reel dunks every game). Whenever the opposing team starts cheating to bring over a help defender from the corner, Norton can throw it to Robert or Dirk for a high percentage corner three.

Effectively, successful pick and rolls will yield high percentage shots at the rim, open threes, or free throws.

Okay, I'm finished with the armchair coaching now.

Come times you can't just look at a stat sheet and decide what won or loss the game. It wasn't the free throws. It was the three pointers and mainly the unrelenting barrage of three pointers in the second half. Has happened two straight games now. We never recovered Saturday. Most of those free throws occurred when we were trying to get back in the game.

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - LairDweller - 02-14-2016 03:06 PM

i hate when people point out (as the announcers did multiple times yesterday) that when a team wins, they average 28 FT's, but in the losses they average 20.
yeah, when teams are winning, they get sent to the FT line late. LT shoots 8 more FT's in the wins BECAUSE they were winning, not that they won because they shot 8 more FT's.

and yes, they shot more than us before the late fouls, but we all shouldve known that was going to happen. theyve shot 1 million more FT's than us on the season. it is what it is. its not why we lost

RE: Louisiana Tech (Now with more Game Thread) - KevMo4UAB - 02-14-2016 03:18 PM

In the month of February, Lee has been awarded two free throws. That's two free throws over the past four games!

Brown has had only five free throws over those same four games. Likewise for Norton.

UAB is 12th in the conference in free throw rate, which is the number of free throw attempts divided by the number of field goal attempts. UAB's free throw rate is 30.9%. La Tech is 2nd in the conference at 44.3%.