CSNbbs
Big 12 Expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Big 12 Expansion (/thread-769342.html)

Pages: 1 2

Big 12 Expansion - NC Monarch - 02-04-2016 07:56 PM

Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times, says the Big 12 is possibly targeting AAC schools USF, UCF, Cinn, and U Conn in order to expand into more markets. If any of those four leaves the AAC, wouldn't ODU be a natural fit for that conference?

Big 12 Expansion - Pony94 - 02-04-2016 07:57 PM

Big 12 tabled discussions until June

RE: Big 12 Expansion - monarx - 02-04-2016 08:04 PM

Probably not unless three or four left. I think the AAC figures UConn, Cincy and likely Memphis and Houston are all gone sometime in the near future. Theres no need to expand as they have enough teams still and why would they add schools until after their TV contract comes back up?

But yes, I would think ODU, Charlotte, Marshall and UMass would be four great additions.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - ODUalum78 - 02-04-2016 08:18 PM

The Big XII has opposed expansion except if it was necessary to facilitate a conference football championship game.

BYU, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, UConn, UCF and USF have all been mentioned as expansion candidates, usually by the media loyal to those respective programs, and not anyone associated with the Big XII.

The Big XII, has pressed for the relaxation of the 12 team rule for over two years, and except for some recent remarks by the OU president, has been staunchly against expansion.
Now that it finally got it's way (with help from the SEC) it wants to expand? 01-wingedeagle

IF the Big XII expands, and IF it takes at least one from the AAC, and IF the AAC restocks (it might not), then it is possible that one or two of ODU, Charlotte, or GaSt could possibly be candidates, behind UMASS (and maybe Air Force).....

Here is the root article from Dec 9; it was published BEFORE the NCAA relaxed the CFB rule.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-big-12-ucf-title-game-20151209-post.html

07-coffee3

EDIT: Of course we MIGHT need a reasonable stadium to be more attractive. 05-stirthepot

RE: Big 12 Expansion - AimHigher - 02-04-2016 09:29 PM

[Image: image.jpg]
Mean while I am over here praying we can get 7 wins in CUSA 05-stirthepot04-cheers

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Sirloin Burger - 02-04-2016 11:32 PM

(02-04-2016 08:18 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  The Big XII has opposed expansion except if it was necessary to facilitate a conference football championship game.

BYU, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, UConn, UCF and USF have all been mentioned as expansion candidates, usually by the media loyal to those respective programs, and not anyone associated with the Big XII.

The Big XII, has pressed for the relaxation of the 12 team rule for over two years, and except for some recent remarks by the OU president, has been staunchly against expansion.
Now that it finally got it's way (with help from the SEC) it wants to expand? 01-wingedeagle

IF the Big XII expands, and IF it takes at least one from the AAC, and IF the AAC restocks (it might not), then it is possible that one or two of ODU, Charlotte, or GaSt could possibly be candidates, behind UMASS (and maybe Air Force).....

Here is the root article from Dec 9; it was published BEFORE the NCAA relaxed the CFB rule.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-big-12-ucf-title-game-20151209-post.html

07-coffee3

EDIT: Of course we MIGHT need a reasonable stadium to be more attractive. 05-stirthepot

I'd like to think that OU's voice in that conference is a big deal. One that the commissioner cannot afford to ignore. Otherwise, it's goodbye Big 12 hello BIG!

RE: Big 12 Expansion - ODUalum78 - 02-04-2016 11:34 PM

(02-04-2016 11:32 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 08:18 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  The Big XII has opposed expansion except if it was necessary to facilitate a conference football championship game.

07-coffee3

I'd like to think that OU's voice in that conference is a big deal. One that the commissioner cannot afford to ignore. Otherwise, it's goodbye Big 12 hello BIG!

Not until the end of the GoRs.
OU makes 23 million/yr which could climb to to 40 million/yr by 2025. Even the minimum 23 million translates to 230 million over 10 years.
The OU president will have a hard time justifying a loss of that magnitude.

Legal and moral issues aside; don't think for a minute that the B1G wants OU badly enough to ask it's programs divvy up the compensation monies.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Sirloin Burger - 02-04-2016 11:45 PM

(02-04-2016 11:34 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Not until the end of the GoRs

OU will get their wish on expansion. OU won't have to defect.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - ODUalum78 - 02-05-2016 12:04 AM

(02-04-2016 11:45 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  

07-coffee3

They won't get it anytime soon, because the ADs met today at the Big XII meetings, and it was hardly discussed, if at all.

Quote:It’s hard to know exactly what [OU President] Boren’s end game is. As one of the league’s two big powers, Oklahoma has leverage. But Boren doesn’t seem to have the votes – if it ever came to a vote – for expansion
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/02/04/big-12-meetings-answers-future/79851446/

Additionally, Texas is not on board. Nothing will happen w/o Texas

Quote:Eight of the 10 schools in the Big 12 would have to approve expansion. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who was a guest speaker at Texas last month, said the league has no imperative to expand.
http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2016/02/02/byu-monitoring-big-12-meetings-as-expansion-buzz-grows/

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Sirloin Burger - 02-05-2016 12:25 AM

(02-05-2016 12:04 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

07-coffee3

They won't get it anytime soon, because the ADs met today at the Big XII meetings, and it was hardly discussed, if at all.

Quote:It’s hard to know exactly what [OU President] Boren’s end game is. As one of the league’s two big powers, Oklahoma has leverage. But Boren doesn’t seem to have the votes – if it ever came to a vote – for expansion
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/02/04/big-12-meetings-answers-future/79851446/

Quote:Eight of the 10 schools in the Big 12 would have to approve expansion. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who was a guest speaker at Texas last month, said the league has no imperative to expand.
http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2016/02/02/byu-monitoring-big-12-meetings-as-expansion-buzz-grows/

Syracuse and Pitt sent in applications to the ACC without telling the Big East. The subsequent announcement took everyone by surprise. I think the Big 12 will discuss this behind closed doors. I also wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed 2 from P5's instead of the AAC. It's been reported that the Big 12 approached Arkansas a few years ago.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - ODU86 - 02-05-2016 07:30 AM

If we had the new Football Stadium, I say we have a chance to get in the AAC... Our basketball attendance is better than most AAC schools.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - monarx - 02-05-2016 01:32 PM

(02-05-2016 12:25 AM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 12:04 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 11:32 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  I'd like to think that OU's voice in that conference is a big deal. One that the commissioner cannot afford to ignore. Otherwise, it's goodbye Big 12 hello BIG!

Syracuse and Pitt sent in applications to the ACC without telling the Big East. The subsequent announcement took everyone by surprise. I think the Big 12 will discuss this behind closed doors. I also wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed 2 from P5's instead of the AAC. It's been reported that the Big 12 approached Arkansas a few years ago.

Why in the world would anyone leave the SEC? Talk about every advantage under the sun and all the money in heaven.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Monarchblue - 02-05-2016 07:17 PM

Except you can't compete unless you are one of the perennial top programs or catch lightning in a bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RE: Big 12 Expansion - monarx - 02-14-2016 08:55 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/02/13/inside-ucs-bid-join-big-12/80280488/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&AID=10709313&PID=6146927&SID=ikmloykemc001vmn00dth

Is there any chance Pres. Broderick is being this proactive to fill UC's spot in the AAC when they leave? I really admire the proactive approach their president is taking. Perhaps we should have reports, marketing data, corporate backing and government support at the ready to sell a move as well. Maybe we do... but I sort of doubt it. If I were Broderick or Wood, I would approach the AAC now, let them know our desire to be a part of the conference in the future, and get their thoughts on what our stadium might need. It would be non-binding, but would position us as eager, able and collaborative potential partners with the right facilities to make it happen when the time is right. There will be a short list, lets go ahead and get on it.

Or better yet, lets be really brash and go for the Big12 spot :). It would never happen, but would show we're thinking big (no pun intended)

RE: Big 12 Expansion - ODUAlumni2015 - 02-14-2016 09:00 AM

(02-04-2016 07:56 PM)NC Monarch Wrote:  Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times, says the Big 12 is possibly targeting AAC schools USF, UCF, Cinn, and U Conn in order to expand into more markets. If any of those four leaves the AAC, wouldn't ODU be a natural fit for that conference?

Nope.
ODU will never move up. We have nothing to attract quality talent. Sorry ass coaching and now future sorry ass facilities.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - paintedblue2 - 02-14-2016 09:38 AM

(02-14-2016 09:00 AM)ODUAlumni2015 Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 07:56 PM)NC Monarch Wrote:  Just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times, says the Big 12 is possibly targeting AAC schools USF, UCF, Cinn, and U Conn in order to expand into more markets. If any of those four leaves the AAC, wouldn't ODU be a natural fit for that conference?

Nope.
ODU will never move up. We have nothing to attract quality talent. Sorry ass coaching and now future sorry ass facilities.

You are welcome to leave . Please do!

RE: Big 12 Expansion - odu83alumni - 02-14-2016 09:46 AM

07-coffee3

Yeah recent stadium report is getting me a little depressed.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - paintedblue2 - 02-14-2016 10:17 AM

For those thinking that a brand new 25K seat stadium would keep ODU from getting an AAC invite you are wrong.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Quagmire - 02-14-2016 10:56 AM

The AAC, based on name recognition of the teams in the league, is our only chance for growth and success (in my opinion). I am a huge fan but even I am having a hard time about caring about the CUSA. I can't be alone, can I?

Before anyone outside of this board goes nuts- I am not saying we are above CUSA- it's simply not a good fit logistically and demographically. I still think it was the right move to escape FCS ball and don't second guess the administration for doing so. I just don't think it's a viable long term play for us.

RE: Big 12 Expansion - Old Dominion - 02-14-2016 11:11 AM

I think you are right, and I have to believe WS knows this as well. One thing I see WS doing to keepfan interest up is to schedule nearby ACC and AAC teams in our OOC. He has been hugely successful in this area and I think our OOC schedule is actually more interesting than in conference. Brilliant work if you ask me.