CSNbbs
West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference (/thread-768791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 01-31-2016 10:14 PM

If they jump to the ACC, SEC, AAC OR BIG1G, what dominoes would that set off?

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - CyclonePower - 01-31-2016 10:51 PM

They fit in the best with ACC because that's where their rivals are. I think they are too far from the SEC, and they aren't an AAU for the big ten. I like them in the big 12 but it sucks for them that we probably won't expand soon and get them a school close to them.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - gopher952 - 01-31-2016 10:56 PM

Never getting a invite to the big 10. Rice or buffalo have better chances

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 01-31-2016 11:00 PM

(01-31-2016 10:51 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  They fit in the best with ACC because that's where their rivals are. I think they are too far from the SEC, and they aren't an AAU for the big ten. I like them in the big 12 but it sucks for them that we probably won't expand soon and get them a school close to them.

I agree totally. Can resume the "Backyard Brawl". If they DO jump, how does the Big 12 respond?

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Hokie Mark - 01-31-2016 11:00 PM

(01-31-2016 10:51 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  They fit in the best with ACC because that's where their rivals are. I think they are too far from the SEC, and they aren't an AAU for the big ten. I like them in the big 12 but it sucks for them that we probably won't expand soon and get them a school close to them.

WVU vs. Pitt, WVU vs. VT and WVU vs Syracuse would all be huge games
WVU vs. Clemson might have a little vinegar to it as well...

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - ArQ - 01-31-2016 11:03 PM

ACC has higher academics standard than B1G. That is why they kept rejecting West Virginia in the past 80 years.

At least B1G has Nebraska. West Virginia should give it a try applying.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - gopher952 - 01-31-2016 11:05 PM

(01-31-2016 11:03 PM)ArQ Wrote:  

ACC has higher academics standard than B1G. That is why they kept rejecting West Virginia in the past 80 years.

Acc allowing Louisville shows they don't care about academics as much as u think. Louisville is a great all around sports school but academics are far from good

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - tigerjamesc - 01-31-2016 11:31 PM

This is THE move the ACC should make. They've been the conference with vision and shrewdness in realignment dealings. This destabilizes the B12 and forces OK out ending the B12 as we know it. It also solidifies the ACC as power conference #4 in conference Survivor as the B12 gets voted off the island. ACC becomes the conference hit man.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 01-31-2016 11:34 PM

If that does happen, and the Big 12 implodes, would the BiG1G have any interest in the Cyclones? Can renew with Nebraska, begin rivalry with Hawkeyes.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - gopher952 - 01-31-2016 11:44 PM

(01-31-2016 11:34 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  If that does happen, and the Big 12 implodes, would the BiG1G have any interest in the Cyclones? Can renew with Nebraska, begin rivalry with Hawkeyes.

I know some Minnesota fans would be OK with it. I don't know how the rest of conference would feel about it.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 01-31-2016 11:46 PM

Reading another thread, ISU is part of the AAU, something the BIG1G places priority on.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - CyclonePower - 02-01-2016 12:03 AM

(01-31-2016 11:46 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Reading another thread, ISU is part of the AAU, something the BIG1G places priority on.

True but unless we are in a big package deal like in 2012 ( KU, Texas Am, OU, Nebraska, and Iowa state) we aren't getting in. We don't add that much that Iowa doesn't add.

Bobby knight was an advocate to Iowa state joining the big ten back when he was at Indiana. I think we fit in better with the big ten, but I'd put us getting an invite at less than 1%.

I also think the big ten wants to go east and not west. My dream would be KU and Iowa State to the big ten. It would add two AAU universities and two good basketball programs. Iowa state seems to be on a rise in football and KU will recover eventually. I'm not holding my breath though.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 02-01-2016 12:13 AM

Are Cincy or Notre Dame in the AAU? Are they viable invites? That could be the "package deal".

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Kittonhead - 02-01-2016 12:16 AM

(01-31-2016 10:14 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  If they jump to the ACC, SEC, AAC OR BIG1G, what dominoes would that set off?

Or if they end up in an ACC/B12 breakout conference? That is the most likely for WVU at this point.

Texas
Baylor
Oklahoma
Memphis
Louisville
West Virginia
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Florida State

It would be somewhat more geographically sensible but a very strong top to bottom conference worth more than those schools are making currently.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Erictelevision - 02-01-2016 12:22 AM

Throw in Arkansas and/or Mizzou, and that's intriguing.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - goodknightfl - 02-01-2016 08:48 AM

An all new breakout conf is not ever going to happen.

and WV is not going anywhere.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - TerryD - 02-01-2016 08:50 AM

(02-01-2016 12:13 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Are Cincy or Notre Dame in the AAU? Are they viable invites? That could be the "package deal".

No and no to your questions about ND.

Where are you guys getting that WVU can "jump" anywhere?

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - penguino - 02-01-2016 08:55 AM

(01-31-2016 11:05 PM)gopher952 Wrote:  
(01-31-2016 11:03 PM)ArQ Wrote:  

Acc allowing Louisville shows they don't care about academics as much as u think. Louisville is a great all around sports school but academics are far from good

This.....

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - polkhigh - 02-01-2016 09:00 AM

WVU to ACC and renew rivalries with Miami, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, .....

WVU to B1G and renew rivalries with Rutgers, Penn State, and Maryland. Start playing neighbor Ohio State.

I don't see why WVU and Ohio State don't ever play OOC. Everybody who lives here around the Ohio River wants this.

RE: West Virginia to a geographically reasonable conference - Minutemen429 - 02-01-2016 09:26 AM

I don't think the Big 12 losing WVU would destabilize the conference at all. It would open their options up if they want to expand. Right now they kinda have to add Cinci and Memphis. If WVU found a new P5 home the Big 12 could look west for expansion CSU, BYU, NM Boise, They could go to Florida and add UCF and USF. Memphis, Cinci and Houston would still be options.