CSNbbs
Texas' hands may be tied. OMG! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: Texas' hands may be tied. OMG! (/thread-768411.html)

Texas' hands may be tied. OMG! - Dasville - 01-28-2016 07:11 PM

Not really OMG! but rather IMG.

It might not matter what Texas wants to do! Excellent blog by mattsarz on the matter:

IMG might own Texas media rights

From the link:

Quote:2) The part I intended to write this whole post about - "ESPN just buy out Texas of the Longhorn Network". I've seen it asked of Frank a couple times and he's politely put it down. Here are several other things to consider. I'm going to reference several items from the open records request The Midnight Yell did several years ago:
Are you buying out Texas or IMG? IMG is a party to this network. Texas sold them the rights to market the content. In fact, when you look at the license agreement, courtesy of The Midnight Yell, it is clear that IMG is sublicensing Texas's rights to ESPN (see page 3 under Television Rights).
Also, if I'm reading this correctly and I may not be, I believe ESPN is covered in the event IMG is no longer Texas's marketing partner. There's a few sentences in there that ESPN would be granted the rights directly in the event the "Rights Agreement" expires or is terminated and I believe that pertains to IMG, who may not have had a 20 year agreement with Texas.

RE: Texas' hands may be tied. OMG! - JRsec - 01-28-2016 08:11 PM

(01-28-2016 07:11 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Not really OMG! but rather IMG.

It might not matter what Texas wants to do! Excellent blog by mattsarz on the matter:

From the link:

Quote:2) The part I intended to write this whole post about - "ESPN just buy out Texas of the Longhorn Network". I've seen it asked of Frank a couple times and he's politely put it down. Here are several other things to consider. I'm going to reference several items from the open records request The Midnight Yell did several years ago:
Are you buying out Texas or IMG? IMG is a party to this network. Texas sold them the rights to market the content. In fact, when you look at the license agreement, courtesy of The Midnight Yell, it is clear that IMG is sublicensing Texas's rights to ESPN (see page 3 under Television Rights).
Also, if I'm reading this correctly and I may not be, I believe ESPN is covered in the event IMG is no longer Texas's marketing partner. There's a few sentences in there that ESPN would be granted the rights directly in the event the "Rights Agreement" expires or is terminated and I believe that pertains to IMG, who may not have had a 20 year agreement with Texas.

If ESPN sublet the rights to IMG, then should IMG terminate that lease, the remaining cost of the contract would simply fall upon ESPN again and that contract does not terminate until 2034.

RE: Texas' hands may be tied. OMG! - Dasville - 01-28-2016 10:48 PM

(01-28-2016 08:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 07:11 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Not really OMG! but rather IMG.

From the link:

If ESPN sublet the rights to IMG, then should IMG terminate that lease, the remaining cost of the contract would simply fall upon ESPN again and that contract does not terminate until 2034.

That's not how I read it but you may be correct. I read it as IMG subletting rights to ESPN. If that is indeed the case, then Texas doesn't have the only say in this matter.