CSNbbs
Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) (/thread-767282.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - CardinalJim - 01-19-2016 02:14 PM

From the article:

Here is how I would rank the teams that might -- repeat might -- be available:

1. Cincinnati

2 Houston

3. Memphis

4. Connecticut

5. Southern Methodist

6. Tulsa

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/phil-anderson/2016-01-19/decision-time-big-12

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Titans3775 - 01-19-2016 02:23 PM

I like how all these people don't even bother to read up on how the SEC and BIG networks are structured with regards to how a Big12 network would be structured. Houston, Uconn, SMU, and Tulsa won't even be on the list if a network comes to fruition. It is also the reason I bet Vanderbilt is on the BIG short list and the SEC would let them slide in favor of new TV states like NC and VA.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - EvilVodka - 01-19-2016 02:27 PM

I'd have BYU #1...no offense to everyone else, but they have the best football program

#2 UConn

#3 Cincinnati

#4 Houston

If you have Oklahoma and Texas in different divisions, you've got to throw OU a bone with Houston....

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - EvilVodka - 01-19-2016 02:29 PM

(01-19-2016 02:23 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I like how all these people don't even bother to read up on how the SEC and BIG networks are structured with regards to how a Big12 network would be structured. Houston, Uconn, SMU, and Tulsa won't even be on the list if a network comes to fruition. It is also the reason I bet Vanderbilt is on the BIG short list and the SEC would let them slide in favor of new TV states like NC and VA.

Vanderbilt isn't on any short list period

If the B1G was going to snipe an SEC school, why in the hell would it be Vandy?

why not go Mizzou and Texas A&M, both AAU universities?

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Titans3775 - 01-19-2016 02:33 PM

(01-19-2016 02:29 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 02:23 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I like how all these people don't even bother to read up on how the SEC and BIG networks are structured with regards to how a Big12 network would be structured. Houston, Uconn, SMU, and Tulsa won't even be on the list if a network comes to fruition. It is also the reason I bet Vanderbilt is on the BIG short list and the SEC would let them slide in favor of new TV states like NC and VA.

Pretty sure they stated that their added schools have to be contiguous and they have been eyeing UNC and GaTech for a few cycles now. This also requires a school like Virginia to be invited though.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - TodgeRodge - 01-19-2016 02:36 PM

there is actually a reason the SEC would not want that to happen

Vandy being private means the SEC is not required to disclose all conference business to the public through FOI request

if the conference had all members that are state schools there is a lot of conference business they would not be able to keep confidential

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - bullet - 01-19-2016 02:38 PM

(01-19-2016 02:27 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I'd have BYU #1...no offense to everyone else, but they have the best football program

#2 UConn

#3 Cincinnati

#4 Houston

If you have Oklahoma and Texas in different divisions, you've got to throw OU a bone with Houston....

BYU is #1. Its not even close. Not certain the Big 12 will see it that way.
1. BYU
2. Memphis (potential)
3. Houston
4. Cincinnati
after those 4, please don't, but if 1,2 & 3 get rejected for various reasons:
5-6. USF/UCF
7. Tulane
8. New Mexico

UConn should be #1 for ACC or B1G expansion among the G5, but they make no sense for the Big 12.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Titans3775 - 01-19-2016 02:42 PM

(01-19-2016 02:36 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

Vandy being private means the SEC is not required to disclose all conference business to the public through FOI request

if the conference had all members that are state schools there is a lot of conference business they would not be able to keep confidential

Well that is fascinating haha. The "more you know" I guess.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - BullsFanInTX - 01-19-2016 02:56 PM

Wow that's the first time I've ever heard Tulsa mentioned as an expansion candidate. No offense to Tulsa, but I highly doubt they would be a serious candidate.

Re: RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - shere khan - 01-19-2016 03:09 PM

(01-19-2016 02:29 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

Msybe the big 10 wants another bad football team

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 01-19-2016 03:50 PM

I like Cincy and Houston, too.

Big 6 division:
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
WVU

Southwest division:
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Cincinnati

I still love being different at 10 teams with the round robin, but if expansion is necessary, I think that works. Play the RRR and WVU/Cincy yearly. Everyone else is open as far as crossovers. Strong in football and basketball, a nod to the history of the members of the conference, rivalries are maintained. Only adds the Cincy/southern Ohio market, though if the Longhorn network gets folded into a Big 12 network. Could switch anyone out for UH if that is a big factor, including BYU and the divisions still work.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - EvilVodka - 01-19-2016 04:18 PM

(01-19-2016 03:50 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  I like Cincy and Houston, too.

Big 6 division:
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
WVU

Southwest division:
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Cincinnati

I still love being different at 10 teams with the round robin, but if expansion is necessary, I think that works. Play the RRR and WVU/Cincy yearly. Everyone else is open as far as crossovers. Strong in football and basketball, a nod to the history of the members of the conference, rivalries are maintained. Only adds the Cincy/southern Ohio market, though if the Longhorn network gets folded into a Big 12 network. Could switch anyone out for UH if that is a big factor, including BYU and the divisions still work.

Oklahoma isn't going to be ok without playing Texas teams....you've got to put Houston in their division. They want Houston

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - nzmorange - 01-19-2016 04:41 PM

No part of this post is accurate. The SEC isn't going to let their one private slide because of information disclosure reasons. The B1G isn't going to add Vandy because the Dores don't have fans, so their addition would be dilutive.

And finally TV market sizes are irrelevant. Viewers and subscribers are what matters.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 01-19-2016 04:50 PM

(01-19-2016 04:18 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 03:50 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  I like Cincy and Houston, too.

Big 6 division:
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
WVU

Southwest division:
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Cincinnati

Oklahoma isn't going to be ok without playing Texas teams....you've got to put Houston in their division. They want Houston

Well, assuming a 9 game schedule and yearly games against UT, they'd play on average 3.4 Texas teams each year (they play 4 each year now). Over a 5 year period they would play 4 Texas teams in crossover games 2 years and three 3 years.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - jaredf29 - 01-19-2016 04:57 PM

He clearly is trolling for clicks. Uconn and Tulsa to the B12? His solution is to add a school even further away and to try for a private school in low population state in which you're already saturated? Solid logic to me, if your goal is to force the league to disband.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Titans3775 - 01-19-2016 05:04 PM

(01-19-2016 04:41 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

No part of this post is accurate. The SEC isn't going to let their one private slide because of information disclosure reasons. The B1G isn't going to add Vandy because the Dores don't have fans, so their addition would be dilutive.

And finally TV market sizes are irrelevant. Viewers and subscribers are what matters.

You do realize this is what I said when referring to the SEC and BIG networks right...

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - RutgersGuy - 01-19-2016 05:07 PM

(01-19-2016 02:36 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

Thats not how it works at all though. Florida can't hide behind Vandy because Vandy is private. All of their conference dealings are open to FOI requests. One private school doesn't mean a public school doesn't have to comply with FOI requests.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - nzmorange - 01-19-2016 05:33 PM

(01-19-2016 05:04 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

You do realize this is what I said when referring to the SEC and BIG networks right...

...Except for the part where you talked about "adding new markets"

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Mestophalies - 01-19-2016 05:43 PM

(01-19-2016 02:14 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  From the article:

Here is how I would rank the teams that might -- repeat might -- be available:

1. Cincinnati

2 Houston

3. Memphis

4. Connecticut

5. Southern Methodist

6. Tulsa

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/phil-anderson/2016-01-19/decision-time-big-12

OMG!!! He doesn't have USF or UCF but he has Tulsa and SMU. Someone's been eating way too many Crawdads. 03-lmfao

SMU same market as TCU. Not happening. Houston and SMU bring nothing extra to the Big 12. Sorry but, they just don't. I think both would do well in a power conference but, they do nothing for the Big 12. Tulsa brings nothing that isn't covered by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. UConn? May as well add San Diego State.

The only true possibilities on that list are Cincinnati and Memphis.

RE: Decision Time for Big 12 - Topeka CJ (Link) - Titans3775 - 01-19-2016 05:51 PM

(01-19-2016 05:33 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(01-19-2016 05:04 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

...Except for the part where you talked about "adding new markets"

Well that is kind of weird since those words don't appear in what I said?