CSNbbs
Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South (/thread-766599.html)

Pages: 1 2

Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-13-2016 04:15 PM

Very funny. Beautiful region.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/where-the-tea-is-sweet-and-the-accents-are-sweeter#.nr5MzOMvg

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - eaglewraith - 01-13-2016 04:36 PM

In other words, everyone else can stay away.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - EagleNationRising - 01-13-2016 05:13 PM

Lol...Grand Bay in Valdosta is awesome...just sayin

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - Bobcat87 - 01-13-2016 05:28 PM

(01-13-2016 04:15 PM)panama Wrote:  Very funny. Beautiful region.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/where-the-tea-is-sweet-and-the-accents-are-sweeter#.nr5MzOMvg

Very nice . . . Made my day . . .

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - 07pantheralum - 01-13-2016 06:19 PM

Nice pictures.

The comments under the story are funny. Of course there are the usual debates about where Florida stands in the South (I personally think you can count a sizable portion of Florida for the South...the boundary is certainly debatable). Key Largo is the only location in the article that is most definitely not the South.

Atlanta is in the South, but you can go a whole week in the city working, visiting businesses and walking around without encountering anyone with a Southern accent.

I spent a day on the Wormsloe Plantation during a school trip. Now THAT is the South.=)

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-13-2016 06:27 PM

I think they are talking about a geographic region of the United States

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - 07pantheralum - 01-13-2016 06:35 PM

(01-13-2016 06:27 PM)panama Wrote:  I think they are talking about a geographic region of the United States

Fair enough, but even talking geographically and not culturally, the Keys still wouldn't fit with the rest of the article. The other pictures are mountains, foothills, rivers, waterfalls and foliage. The Caribbean is a world away. It's certainly southern, though...

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-13-2016 06:47 PM

I think that is the point; that the South has a varied landscape including mountains, swamps and keys. Varied culturally as well and yet still Southern.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - BurlingtonApp - 01-13-2016 06:48 PM

(01-13-2016 06:35 PM)07pantheralum Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 06:27 PM)panama Wrote:  I think they are talking about a geographic region of the United States

Fair enough, but even talking geographically and not culturally, the Keys still wouldn't fit with the rest of the article. The other pictures are mountains, foothills, rivers, waterfalls and foliage. The Caribbean is a world away. It's certainly southern, though...

The keys are absolutely part of the South as a geographic region though.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - 07pantheralum - 01-13-2016 07:05 PM

OK, you guys sold me.=)

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - Bigtom12 - 01-13-2016 07:32 PM

(01-13-2016 06:19 PM)07pantheralum Wrote:  Nice pictures.

The comments under the story are funny. Of course there are the usual debates about where Florida stands in the South (I personally think you can count a sizable portion of Florida for the South...the boundary is certainly debatable). Key Largo is the only location in the article that is most definitely not the South.

Atlanta is in the South, but you can go a whole week in the city working, visiting businesses and walking around without encountering anyone with a Southern accent.

I spent a day on the Wormsloe Plantation during a school trip. Now THAT is the South.=)

I don't think you have to have a Southern Accent. A lot of the places have there own distinct accents. A southern accent actually comes from a Gaelic Dialect. If you are Scot-Irish, it is basically a country backwoods version of that.

If you ever been to South Louisiana, and New Orleans people do not talk with southern accents. We have a very distinct accent specially in Acadiana. New Orleans for example has a very distinct accent. New Orleans has alot of Italian, French, Spanish influence around that area, and it's a port city, people talk way different then say Mississippi or Alabama. Just like a Texan accent is different then a Southern Accent.

Big cities has there own distinct accent like Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, because they have a lot of influences from different places.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - trueeagle98 - 01-13-2016 09:01 PM

Back in college a professor asked us to define the south as region, like which states or area. We argued for a while. Then he put up a picture of the USA that had part of the southeast highlighted red. From Virginia toFlorida to Texas. Didn't cover all of some states, just parts. Asked if we agreed if this represents the south. We all said yes. It was a map of where kudzu grew in the USA.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-13-2016 09:02 PM

Smh

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - SLewis - 01-13-2016 10:39 PM

The prominent Southern Historian John Shelton Reed has written in depth on exactly where the South is. I think in geographical terms it can be determined by Where Kudzu Grows.

[Image: thesou2.gif]

This section taken from his book My Tears Spoiled My Aim is a really good discussion on the topic.
http://www.roebuckclasses.com/105/classfiles/assignments/vernacular/thesouth.htm

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - Bigtom12 - 01-13-2016 10:52 PM

(01-13-2016 10:39 PM)SLewis Wrote:  The prominent Southern Historian John Shelton Reed has written in depth on exactly where the South is. I think in geographical terms it can be determined by Where Kudzu Grows.

[Image: thesou2.gif]

This section taken from his book My Tears Spoiled My Aim is a really good discussion on the topic.
http://www.roebuckclasses.com/105/classfiles/assignments/vernacular/thesouth.htm

Interesting read

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - 07pantheralum - 01-13-2016 11:44 PM

(01-13-2016 07:32 PM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 06:19 PM)07pantheralum Wrote:  Nice pictures.

I don't think you have to have a Southern Accent. A lot of the places have there own distinct accents. A southern accent actually comes from a Gaelic Dialect. If you are Scot-Irish, it is basically a country backwoods version of that.

If you ever been to South Louisiana, and New Orleans people do not talk with southern accents. We have a very distinct accent specially in Acadiana. New Orleans for example has a very distinct accent. New Orleans has alot of Italian, French, Spanish influence around that area, and it's a port city, people talk way different then say Mississippi or Alabama. Just like a Texan accent is different then a Southern Accent.

Big cities has there own distinct accent like Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, because they have a lot of influences from different places.

Agreed, but I'm just talking about Atlanta here. In Atlanta, you can in fact interact with lots of people with Midwestern and Northeastern accents regularly. Maybe that is the case with New Orleans too, to some extent, but it's prevalent in Atlanta.

Also, surrounding Atlanta—with the exception of some of the suburbs—most people talk with some variation of a Southern accent. I'm well aware of the differences even in Georgia accents...I have lots of relatives who live in the very northern part of the state, and they sound quite different from the people I meet who live in Middle Georgia or South Georgia. It's pretty interesting.

ETA: I have no idea what an Atlanta accent would sound like. Seems to me like you have a Southern inflection, you're from somewhere else or you're pretty neutral.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-14-2016 07:26 AM

I would say that most people in Atlanta have a Southern neutral accent. I do not hear that many Northeastern or Midwestern accents other than people I work with who visit for the week from Minnesota. It's the fact that people in Atlanta do not for the most part sound like people from Rome or Savannah who by the way do not sound alike either. One interesting thing is when you read historical accounts from the 1880s of people complaining that Atlanta was not "Southern enough" even back then. Maybe it's being a railroad town and the fact that people have been moving here for 120 years.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - gsu95 - 01-14-2016 01:15 PM

(01-14-2016 07:26 AM)panama Wrote:  I would say that most people in Atlanta have a Southern neutral accent. I do not hear that many Northeastern or Midwestern accents other than people I work with who visit for the week from Minnesota. It's the fact that people in Atlanta do not for the most part sound like people from Rome or Savannah who by the way do not sound alike either. One interesting thing is when you read historical accounts from the 1880s of people complaining that Atlanta was not "Southern enough" even back then. Maybe it's being a railroad town and the fact that people have been moving here for 120 years.

My relatives who left Atlanta back in the 80s had drawls.

I saw one Georgia Ports Authority guy define the South as pretty much everything from Ohio to California --

I define the South by whether a state was in the Confederacy. And Southerners by where their ancestors were during the war of Northern Aggression.

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - BurlingtonApp - 01-14-2016 02:41 PM

(01-14-2016 01:15 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 07:26 AM)panama Wrote:  I would say that most people in Atlanta have a Southern neutral accent. I do not hear that many Northeastern or Midwestern accents other than people I work with who visit for the week from Minnesota. It's the fact that people in Atlanta do not for the most part sound like people from Rome or Savannah who by the way do not sound alike either. One interesting thing is when you read historical accounts from the 1880s of people complaining that Atlanta was not "Southern enough" even back then. Maybe it's being a railroad town and the fact that people have been moving here for 120 years.

I saw one Georgia Ports Authority guy define the South as pretty much everything from Ohio to California --

I define the South by whether a state was in the Confederacy. And Southerners by where their ancestors were during the war of Northern Aggression.

I might be misreading you here, but are you saying a person isn't a southerner if their ancestors weren't in the South in the mid 1800s?

RE: Buzzfeed: 25 Reasons You Should Never Visit The South - panama - 01-14-2016 05:23 PM

(01-14-2016 02:41 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 01:15 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  

I might be misreading you here, but are you saying a person isn't a southerner if their ancestors weren't in the South in the mid 1800s?

I'll hang up and listen