CSNbbs
Kent State vs. Miami - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Kent State vs. Miami (/thread-766243.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kent State vs. Miami - fallsdog - 01-11-2016 08:58 AM

After a disappointing loss to open the home portion of the conference schedule the Flashes host the Redhawks on Tuesday night. Right now Miami looks like the weak sister of the MAC. KSU needs to take advantage of this three game home stand.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - AlphaFlash - 01-12-2016 09:17 PM

Terrible win. I'm sick of the years of this lackluster offense. We let a really bad Miami team take us to the wire. Again. Too many missed rebounds in the first half. We couldn't put them away until under 2 minutes. OU is going to run on us Saturday.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - KSU93 - 01-12-2016 10:24 PM

I have faith in Rob. He needs to right the ship. Nice to see new recruit Mitch Peterson at the game.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - FlashFan - 01-12-2016 10:37 PM

Nice ride while it lasted, but tradition has graduated. We are just an average MAC program.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - burden - 01-12-2016 10:40 PM

Not very impressed tonight. At about the 6 minute mark we finally hit some threes and ended up 8/25 for the game. Had to miss our first five or six so that saved us tonight. What really concerned me though was the trouble Miami's press gave us. Sendy better fix that right now. Again Miami looked a lot quicker than us.

I counted the crowd halfway through the first half and counted about 750. I've noticed a lot of people who came to every game are missing quite a few this year. I know the weather was cold but then again basketball is a winter sport so other than bad snowstorms attendance should not be that affected. No students doesn't help but this was worse than I've seen in awhile.

As of now this team is not as good as its record.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - dannyb73 - 01-12-2016 11:12 PM

LMAO. You guys are unreal. I am pretty sure we won the MAC East last year and graduated our entire backcourt and are still one of the favorites to win the MAC this year. And OU got pounded at home tonight by the team that was picked to finish last in the MAC East (BG). So lets relax.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - dannyb73 - 01-12-2016 11:16 PM

(01-12-2016 10:40 PM)burden Wrote:  Not very impressed tonight. At about the 6 minute mark we finally hit some threes and ended up 8/25 for the game. Had to miss our first five or six so that saved us tonight. What really concerned me though was the trouble Miami's press gave us. Sendy better fix that right now. Again Miami looked a lot quicker than us.

I counted the crowd halfway through the first half and counted about 750. I've noticed a lot of people who came to every game are missing quite a few this year. I know the weather was cold but then again basketball is a winter sport so other than bad snowstorms attendance should not be that affected. No students doesn't help but this was worse than I've seen in awhile.

I love people that say this. Actually, we are exactly what our record indicates.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - FlashFan - 01-13-2016 07:31 AM

(01-12-2016 11:12 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  LMAO. You guys are unreal. I am pretty sure we won the MAC East last year and graduated our entire backcourt and are still one of the favorites to win the MAC this year. And OU got pounded at home tonight by the team that was picked to finish last in the MAC East (BG). So lets relax.

I am pretty sure we tied Buffalo last year for the MAC East, not an outright win.

I am pretty sure that we used our bye to the MACC to lose to Akron in the quarters.

I am pretty sure that today's traditional KSU Freshmen were not even in kindergarten when we made our Elite 8 run. We haven't won an NCAA game since and haven't even been to the dance in 10 (?) years.

I am perfectly relaxed because I gave up believing this program was anything special a few seasons back. We aren't in the top 3 of the MAC nor in the bottom 3. Right smack in the middle. Enjoy following them, but don't expect much.

If this is locker room material, good.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - fallsdog - 01-13-2016 08:32 AM

*I couldn't agree with Coach Senderoff more when he lamented the inability to close out the game. Maybe it is something that is learned (it was game 16). Pollard is careless with the basketball. Of course, he isn't a point guard so...

*I would think long and hard about an expanded role for Avery as soon as possible. I think that could solidify Pollard's role as an off guard and take minutes away from Cancer, who simply has not been productive.

*Nice job on the glass, particularly by Ortiz. Experience in the paint is one advantage that KSU should have over most MAC foes...nice to take advantage of it.

*71% from the line...okay. They have been better lately.

*25 three pointers is too many for this team. I would like to know how many were shot in the last 5-8 minutes of the game.

*Way too much showing off after baskets. No wonder Buffalo was smack talking and backing it up.

Saturday give KSU an opportunity to hang an L on an Eastern Division Foe. Defense has been optional for Ohio U and I always like Kent's chances against a team that includes Setty.

Beat OU!

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - flash77 - 01-13-2016 08:34 AM

A win is a win. Don't understand why there is so much gloom & doom (and fair weatherness (is that a word?)). You have to give the coaching staff & players credit, given the circumstances of KSU athletics (shoe-string budget, out-dated facilities, etc.). You should enjoy the ride, even though there are frustrations along the way.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - JimJoyce - 01-13-2016 10:11 AM

I hear what both sides are saying. I dunno, it's tough to really explain. But to me, KSU basketball is just in a really weird place right now. Maybe it is that dreaded "middle ground" that FlashFan brought up. That is a place no one wants to be.

I just don't like the dwindling interest in what was once the MAC's flagship program. I mean this thread had one reply to it after the game yesterday. One. Other teams in the MAC have running commentaries of games on their message boards.

The attendance has been on the steady decline, the facilities are outdated and tired, top athletic department administrators don't even come to games, students who do come are apathetic and uniterested and instead of getting fans hyped during timeouts using the out-of-place video boards, we play commercials.

I just don't think there is a demand to go to games. The brand of basketball we play is respectable and we win more than we lose, but there is just no wow factor. Like in 2000-2003 you HAD to go to the games to see those players. It was must-see material. It was the same - albeit to a lower extent - in 2006 and 2008. Since then, I don't know, we just haven't had that player or team that you just had to see. I feel like there's zero connection between the team/coaches and the fans/students. There's no one you can really latch on to. I don't know maybe I'm off base and rambling.

I do think it's kind of a slap in the face to basketball that the arena remains untouched in the years since the Elite Eight. When other, non-revenue sports have had national success you've seen visible changes to their facilities instantly. The fact that the MAC Center is the same now as it was 20 years ago - despite being the home to basketball, gymnastics and wrestling; all of whom have had recent and sustained national success - is mind boggling.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - Slinkin Street Flash - 01-13-2016 10:18 AM

(01-13-2016 08:32 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  *I couldn't agree with Coach Senderoff more when he lamented the inability to close out the game. Maybe it is something that is learned (it was game 16). Pollard is careless with the basketball. Of course, he isn't a point guard so...

Yes - I can see that as a strategy for other teams - keep the score within 10 points until the last 4 minutes of the game, then press hard and steal the game. We didn't seem to handle the pressure game

(01-13-2016 08:32 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  *I would think long and hard about an expanded role for Avery as soon as possible. I think that could solidify Pollard's role as an off guard and take minutes away from Cancer, who simply has not been productive.

I know you don't want to depend on a freshman in crunch time, but I don't see how Avery could have done as little as Pollard did. Yeah, Pollard is big for a guard, but he still was overwhelmed by the press

(01-13-2016 08:32 AM)fallsdog Wrote:  <snip>
*25 three pointers is too many for this team. I would like to know how many were shot in the last 5-8 minutes of the game.
<snip>

We're at 30.4% shooting threes. Only EMU is worse in the MAC. We need to be at least 35% to be an average MAC team. We need to be at 38% for it to be something to depend on.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - burden - 01-13-2016 10:35 AM

(01-12-2016 11:16 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 10:40 PM)burden Wrote:  Not very impressed tonight. At about the 6 minute mark we finally hit some threes and ended up 8/25 for the game. Had to miss our first five or six so that saved us tonight. What really concerned me though was the trouble Miami's press gave us. Sendy better fix that right now. Again Miami looked a lot quicker than us.

I love people that say this. Actually, we are exactly what our record indicates.

My point is we have won some close games against some not so good teams such as NJIT, Cleve St, NC A&T, WMU, also a meaningless win against Oberlin. To counter that we have lost only one close game to SIU. Our record could easily be worse. I see nothing about our team that says it has the make up to win most of its close games. To be 4-1 in those games doesn't make sense to me. If we don't learn to handle the press the close games will start going the other way and the record will sag a bit.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - dannyb73 - 01-13-2016 01:12 PM

(01-13-2016 07:31 AM)FlashFan Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 11:12 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  LMAO. You guys are unreal. I am pretty sure we won the MAC East last year and graduated our entire backcourt and are still one of the favorites to win the MAC this year. And OU got pounded at home tonight by the team that was picked to finish last in the MAC East (BG). So lets relax.

I am pretty sure we tied Buffalo last year for the MAC East, not an outright win. Does that mean we didn't we the MAC East?

I am pretty sure that we used our bye to the MACC to lose to Akron in the quarters.
Ok?

I am pretty sure that today's traditional KSU Freshmen were not even in kindergarten when we made our Elite 8 run. We haven't won an NCAA game since and haven't even been to the dance in 10 (?) years. The MAC is a 1 bid league and we are in the mix year in and year out. IMO, really, that is all you can ask. We will break through and get back to the tourney sooner rather than later.

I am perfectly relaxed because I gave up believing this program was anything special a few seasons back. We aren't in the top 3 of the MAC nor in the bottom 3. Right smack in the middle. Enjoy following them, but don't expect much.
It should be easy to be a fan if you have no/low expectations.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - OLNWFLSH - 01-13-2016 02:46 PM

(01-13-2016 10:11 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I hear what both sides are saying. I dunno, it's tough to really explain. But to me, KSU basketball is just in a really weird place right now. Maybe it is that dreaded "middle ground" that FlashFan brought up. That is a place no one wants to be.

I just don't like the dwindling interest in what was once the MAC's flagship program. I mean this thread had one reply to it after the game yesterday. One. Other teams in the MAC have running commentaries of games on their message boards.

The attendance has been on the steady decline, the facilities are outdated and tired, top athletic department administrators don't even come to games, students who do come are apathetic and uniterested and instead of getting fans hyped during timeouts using the out-of-place video boards, we play commercials.

I just don't think there is a demand to go to games. The brand of basketball we play is respectable and we win more than we lose, but there is just no wow factor. Like in 2000-2003 you HAD to go to the games to see those players. It was must-see material. It was the same - albeit to a lower extent - in 2006 and 2008. Since then, I don't know, we just haven't had that player or team that you just had to see. I feel like there's zero connection between the team/coaches and the fans/students. There's no one you can really latch on to. I don't know maybe I'm off base and rambling.

I do think it's kind of a slap in the face to basketball that the arena remains untouched in the years since the Elite Eight. When other, non-revenue sports have had national success you've seen visible changes to their facilities instantly. The fact that the MAC Center is the same now as it was 20 years ago - despite being the home to basketball, gymnastics and wrestling; all of whom have had recent and sustained national success - is mind boggling.
I get what you are saying about fan interest - I've seen some similar remarks on the Akron and other boards. I see one problem today with college students is all of the other distractors! First there are a ton of games on TV every night, one can also stream games and even when you go to a game people are on there phones. I can't tell you how many Browns games I've been at where folks around me are texting (of course it is the Browns). All that said, maybe we haven't had enough four year stars or any really dynamic guys of late like Q, Singletary or Evans. I also believe thay said that the MACC was the fourth oldest arena in D-1 during the Buffalo game - certainly not the most comfortable place in the MAC.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - luckyflash - 01-13-2016 04:45 PM

(01-13-2016 02:46 PM)OLNWFLSH Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 10:11 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I hear what both sides are saying. I dunno, it's tough to really explain. But to me, KSU basketball is just in a really weird place right now. Maybe it is that dreaded "middle ground" that FlashFan brought up. That is a place no one wants to be.

I get what you are saying about fan interest - I've seen some similar remarks on the Akron and other boards. I see one problem today with college students is all of the other distractors! First there are a ton of games on TV every night, one can also stream games and even when you go to a game people are on there phones. I can't tell you how many Browns games I've been at where folks around me are texting (of course it is the Browns). All that said, maybe we haven't had enough four year stars or any really dynamic guys of late like Q, Singletary or Evans. I also believe thay said that the MACC was the fourth oldest arena in D-1 during the Buffalo game - certainly not the most comfortable place in the MAC.

Apathy abounds and going to basketball games is just not the thing to do for the students. Don't think that will ever change. They will show up for TV games and the Akron game. It hurts the attendance when we have 3 homes games and school is not in session. Last nights crowd was the smallest I have seen in 3-4 years. 1000 at most. Saturday night will be a good crowd as OU has lots of NEO alums and some of the students will be returning. We have two more Sat night home games against Toledo and the zippys. so they should both be well attended. We are at or near the top of the MAC every year, just think if we went through a stretch like NIU did or Miami is now, it would be crickets.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - FlashFan - 01-13-2016 05:17 PM

(01-13-2016 01:12 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 07:31 AM)FlashFan Wrote:  

I am pretty sure we tied Buffalo last year for the MAC East, not an outright win. Does that mean we didn't we the MAC East?

Ok?

I am pretty sure that today's traditional KSU Freshmen were not even in kindergarten when we made our Elite 8 run. We haven't won an NCAA game since and haven't even been to the dance in 10 (?) years. The MAC is a 1 bid league and we are in the mix year in and year out. IMO, really, that is all you can ask. We will break through and get back to the tourney sooner rather than later.

It should be easy to be a fan if you have no/low expectations.

Danny, if you take off your blue and gold glasses, you 'll note that the only
"mix" we've been in for the last 4 years is what early round we will exit Cleveland. To indicate that we've even been close to the NCAA or NIT in the last 4 seasons is laughable. The last time we made it to the final was 2010, which we lost.

For average teams, nothing wrong for settling for split division titles, feeling good about a MACC bye as the season cap, buying a game to something called the CBI, and playing 30+ games to win 20. That's what we are- average. I just follow the season and don't expect anything different.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - FlashFan - 01-13-2016 05:23 PM

Good observations. How long has remodeling the MACC and getting a practice facility been "the #1" priority" while other upgrades go on? Why spend on a consultant that advises to prioritize basketball then do nothing? Just do nothing and save the dough.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - anti-zip - 01-13-2016 05:27 PM

(01-13-2016 10:11 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I do think it's kind of a slap in the face to basketball that the arena remains untouched in the years since the Elite Eight. When other, non-revenue sports have had national success you've seen visible changes to their facilities instantly. The fact that the MAC Center is the same now as it was 20 years ago - despite being the home to basketball, gymnastics and wrestling; all of whom have had recent and sustained national success - is mind boggling.

I know how to fix this. Someone on this board has to win the $1.5 billion powerball tonight.

RE: Kent State vs. Miami - mmucha - 01-13-2016 06:44 PM

anti-zip said:
"I know how to fix this. Someone on this board has to win the $1.5 billion powerball tonight."

OK... sounds like a plan :)