CSNbbs
Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 (/thread-765747.html)

Pages: 1 2

Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Maize - 01-06-2016 09:45 PM

These are the ACC Schools they have ranked:

2. Clemson
Quarterback Deshaun Watson returns for another run at the Heisman Trophy in 2016, and the junior has a strong supporting cast in place, including left tackle Mitch Hyatt and standout receiver Artavis Scott. The receiving corps should receive a boost with the return of Mike Williams (57 receptions in 2014), who missed nearly all of 2015 due to a neck injury. Coordinator Brent Venables has holes to fill on defense, but this unit remained one of the best in the nation despite losing a handful of key contributors from the 2014 group. Cornerback Mackensie Alexander and end Shaq Lawson are expected to leave for the NFL, while the linebacking corps must replace standout B.J. Goodson. One huge road block to a repeat for the ACC title – a road date at Florida State.

5. Florida State
2015 was a rebuilding year for Florida State, yet the Seminoles won 10 games and played in a New Year’s Six Bowl (Peach). Under coach Jimbo Fisher, Florida State has won at least 10 games in five out of the last six seasons and is poised to push Clemson in the ACC next year. Nearly everyone is back on offense for Fisher, including Heisman Trophy candidate and running back Dalvin Cook. The junior will be running behind an offensive line that should improve over the offseason and is anchored by left tackle Roderick Johnson. Finding a quarterback is Fisher’s top priority, as Sean Maguire will compete with sophomore J.J. Cosentino and freshmen Malik Henry and Deondre Francois for the starting job. After giving up 5.5 yards per play in 2014, the Seminoles’ defense showed marked improvement in 2015. Florida State ranked second in the ACC by holding opponents to 4.68 yards per play, second in scoring defense (17.5 ppg) and generated 32 sacks (up from 17 in 2014). This unit has a few key players to replace – tackle Nile Lawrence-Stample, linebackers Terrance Smith and Reggie Northrup – and cornerback Jalen Ramsey left early for the NFL. A huge schedule advantage for Florida State in 2015 – Clemson, North Carolina and Florida all visit Tallahassee next season.

18. North Carolina
In addition to the ACC Coastal title, the Tar Heels are coming off their first double-digit win total for the first time since 1997. The momentum for coach Larry Fedora should continue in 2016, as North Carolina is the early favorite to win the Coastal once again. Mitch Trubisky will replace Marquise Williams at quarterback, and running back Elijah Hood is poised to build off a strong sophomore campaign (1,463 yards). The biggest losses on offense will be guard Landon Turner and receiver Quinshad Davis. The defense showed marked improvement in Gene Chizik’s first season and returns largely intact next fall. North Carolina’s schedule features a few intriguing games, including a road trip to Florida State and a neutral site matchup against Georgia in Week 1.

22. Louisville
The Cardinals finished 2015 by winning six out of their last seven games and the arrow is clearly pointing up for coach Bobby Petrino’s team for 2016. Quarterback Lamar Jackson capped a solid freshman season with 453 total yards in the Music City Bowl win over Texas A&M and is poised for even bigger things next fall. The Cardinals also return every key receiving threat from 2015, running back Brandon Radcliff and left tackle Geron Christian (started all 13 games as a true freshman last season). The defense has been a strength for Petrino over the last two years and will be one of the best in the ACC once again. Linemen Sheldon Rankins and Pio Vatuvei and linebacker James Burgess are the biggest losses for coordinator Todd Grantham. A strong core is in place for Grantham 2016, which includes linebacker Keith Kelsey, tackle DeAngelo Brown and defensive backs Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons. The Cardinals have to play Clemson and Houston on the road next year, but Florida State and rival Kentucky visit Louisville.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2016

Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Lenvillecards - 01-06-2016 09:58 PM

I can see 1-2 more make the top 25 by the end of the year.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - ClemVegas - 01-06-2016 11:41 PM

the list isn't all that interesting because they basically made it match the current rankings.

i don't see UNC as a favorite to win their division with a new QB, for example. They could win it but that division is always a crapshoot.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - OrangeCrush22 - 01-07-2016 12:23 AM

(01-06-2016 11:41 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  the list isn't all that interesting because they basically made it match the current rankings.

i don't see UNC as a favorite to win their division with a new QB, for example. They could win it but that division is always a crapshoot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia Tech and Miami competing next year for a division title.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Ole Blue - 01-07-2016 12:41 AM

Miami isn't top 10, it's baloney!

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - rednblackattack - 01-07-2016 05:42 AM

I think VA Tech and Miami will be back sooner rather than later. Too much tradition and resources to stay down. 2016 should be a terrific year for ACC Football

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Ragu - 01-07-2016 07:49 AM

(01-06-2016 11:41 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  the list isn't all that interesting because they basically made it match the current rankings.

Mitch Trubisky is going to be a star QB and better than Williams.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - XLance - 01-07-2016 08:08 AM

(01-07-2016 12:23 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia Tech and Miami competing next year for a division title.

If either of you really knew anything about Carolina football you would know that in many circles Trubisky is thought to be a much superior quarterback to Williams and should have been playing as the starter all year.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Dasville - 01-07-2016 08:34 AM

I really think timing of conference games is going to be key as to which teams emerge. Do the new coaches get a break in scheduling tough games in a row? Do you match contenders early in the season so the loser has time to recover?

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Hokie Mark - 01-07-2016 09:31 AM

Not a very creative list.

This list and $1.00 will get you a good laugh from the barista at Starbucks... but it won't get you a cup of coffee!

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - jaminandjachin - 01-07-2016 09:33 AM

(01-07-2016 08:08 AM)XLance Wrote:  

If either of you really knew anything about Carolina football you would know that in many circles Trubisky is thought to be a much superior quarterback to Williams and should have been playing as the starter all year.

I wouldn't go that far to say he should have been playing all year, but let's just say there shouldn't be any dropoff from this year.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - samandrea - 01-07-2016 10:32 AM

(01-07-2016 07:49 AM)Ragu Wrote:  

Mitch Trubisky is going to be a star QB and better than Williams.

Should be. A lot of people have been clamoring for him to play, now it is all his.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Maize - 01-07-2016 11:02 AM

I really like Miami in the Coastal and feel they will be in the end a Top 25 team.

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Hokie Mark - 01-07-2016 11:14 AM

VT offense will likely improve immediately under Fuente.
Question in my mind: will the recent defensive slide be halted or continue?

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - HRFlossY - 01-07-2016 11:37 AM

I'm honestly more curious to see what Bronco does at UVA!!!! They also have resources and talent at their disposal, but they just never had a quality coach to guide them until now!!!!

They should also take a step forward.
FLossY Out...04-wine

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Maize - 01-07-2016 11:45 AM

(01-07-2016 11:37 AM)HRFlossY Wrote:  I'm honestly more curious to see what Bronco does at UVA!!!! They also have resources and talent at their disposal, but they just never had a quality coach to guide them until now!!!!

FLossY Out...04-wine

If Bronco recruits as well as London watch out...

Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Lenvillecards - 01-07-2016 12:34 PM

(01-07-2016 11:02 AM)Maize Wrote:  I really like Miami in the Coastal and feel they will be in the end a Top 25 team.

Miami has a ton of talent & now have a quality coach. I think they have the greatest potential in the Coastal for next season.

Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Ragu - 01-07-2016 12:34 PM

(01-07-2016 08:08 AM)XLance Wrote:  

I saw him play all through high school at Mentor in Ohio. I went to the same school

Brandon Fritts went there at the same time. They were both beasts

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Hokie Mark - 01-07-2016 01:10 PM

(01-07-2016 11:45 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 11:37 AM)HRFlossY Wrote:  I'm honestly more curious to see what Bronco does at UVA!!!! They also have resources and talent at their disposal, but they just never had a quality coach to guide them until now!!!!

FLossY Out...04-wine

If Bronco recruits as well as London watch out...

You are forgetting one important fact...

[Image: 597272339e63073d14c69dafa44720b8.jpg]

RE: Athlon Sports Way Too Early College Football Top 25 - Ole Blue - 01-07-2016 02:39 PM

It will do our team wonders to have a real coach at the helm and a good coaching staff. Finally. Maybe we'll win big games now.