CSNbbs
OT: How boring is the NFL? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: OT: How boring is the NFL? (/thread-765389.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

OT: How boring is the NFL? - C2__ - 01-03-2016 03:49 PM

It seems like the same few teams make the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl. I realize this is not an issue unique to the NFL but I'd like to see some fresh blood.

Did you know, for example, the Bills haven't advanced to the playoffs since the Music City Miracle? Since 1996 (Super Bowl XXX) only 2 AFC franchises have been to a Super Bowl besides the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Colts or Patriots? And both of those came over a decade ago.

More than anything else, I wanna see some fresh blood in the Super Bowl.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - Maize - 01-03-2016 03:56 PM

(01-03-2016 03:49 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  It seems like the same few teams make the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl. I realize this is not an issue unique to the NFL but I'd like to see some fresh blood.

Did you know, for example, the Bills haven't advanced to the playoffs since the Music City Miracle? Since 1996 (Super Bowl XXX) only 2 AFC franchises have been to a Super Bowl besides the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Colts or Patriots? And both of those came over a decade ago.

Well...the two best teams are new blood...the Cardinals and Panthers...plus the hottest team is the Kansas City Chiefs.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - toddjnsn - 01-03-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:plus the hottest team is the Kansas City Chiefs.

Yup, with Captain Kirk! You like that?! :)

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - RUScarlets - 01-03-2016 04:52 PM

Biggest complaint about the NFL these days are the stoppages and the fantasy/digital commercialization that has lead to rule changes promoting offense and a game that is impossible to officiate. For whatever reason, the college game seems to be a bit more fluid and not as ticky tacky, but that's because hardly anyone plays any decent defense. The reality is, the quality of NFL football is miles better and the college game as it is constituted can never get to that level. I prefer good defense and special teams and that's what makes the game more compelling for me as a fan.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - upstater1 - 01-03-2016 04:56 PM

(01-03-2016 03:49 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  It seems like the same few teams make the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl. I realize this is not an issue unique to the NFL but I'd like to see some fresh blood.

Have a look at the Bills first round drafts since 2000, and then you won't be wondering why they haven't made the playoffs in 2 decades.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - Maize - 01-03-2016 05:07 PM

(01-03-2016 04:52 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Biggest complaint about the NFL these days are the stoppages and the fantasy/digital commercialization that has lead to rule changes promoting offense and a game that is impossible to officiate. For whatever reason, the college game seems to be a bit more fluid and not as ticky tacky, but that's because hardly anyone plays any decent defense. The reality is, the quality of NFL football is miles better and the college game as it is constituted can never get to that level. I prefer good defense and special teams and that's what makes the game more compelling for me as a fan.

The NFL Game length of time is shorter...the NFL Regulation game time is rough 3 Hours and 7 minutes...College is around 3 hours and 17 minutes.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - RutgersGuy - 01-03-2016 05:19 PM

So your complaint is that in 20 years only 7 of the AFC teams have made the Super Bowl? You know that's almost half the AFC right?

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - RUScarlets - 01-03-2016 05:21 PM

The basis of the OP is completely wrong based on the top teams this year, but if he is going to complain about the actual NFL product, then the issues I laid are definitely on the forefront. College football half time is also 25-30 minutes compared to 15 for the NFL, so that's why the college game feels longer. The stoppages are still there, but the replay system is just a lot more faster in college and I have no idea why that's the case. The NFL gets to consult with the replay guys and officials back in the studio these days. But the game and the calls and rules are enforced a lot more tightly in the NFL to be fair.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - OrangeCrush22 - 01-03-2016 05:33 PM

The NFL has two major problems. The teams are all constructed very similarly and there's not as much parity as they claim. They need to do away with the salary cap.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - RUScarlets - 01-03-2016 05:36 PM

The lack of parity is a direct correlation with the lack of talent at the QB position, or dearth of talent I should say, and the ineptitude of many ownership and front office people. It's the same franchises and owners every year that screw it up. Same with college, not a lot of great coaches out there that can build national title programs, and mostly because of the lack of resources at most mid level programs.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - adcorbett - 01-03-2016 05:39 PM

Huh? 22 of the 32 teams have made the playoffs since 2011. 19 have made it since 2013.

Current playoff droughts

Team Last earned appearance in post-season Seasons
Includes 2015
Buffalo Bills ^ 1999 AFC Wild Card Playoffs 16
Oakland Raiders ^ Super Bowl XXXVII 13
Cleveland Browns ^ 2002 AFC Wild Card Playoffs 13
St. Louis Rams 2004 NFC Divisional Playoffs 11
Jacksonville Jaguars ^ 2007 AFC Divisional Playoffs 8
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2007 NFC Wild Card Playoffs 8
Tennessee Titans 2008 AFC Divisional Playoffs 7
Miami Dolphins † 2008 AFC Wild Card Playoffs 7
New York Jets 2010 AFC Championship Game 6 - just missed by losing today
Chicago Bears 2010 NFC Championship Game 5
New York Giants Super Bowl XLVI 4
Atlanta Falcons 2012 NFC Championship Game 3
Philadelphia Eagles 2013 NFC Wild Card Playoffs 2
San Diego Chargers 2013 AFC Divisional Playoffs 2
New Orleans Saints 2013 NFC Divisional Playoffs 2
San Francisco 49ers 2013 NFC Championship Game 2

I am not sure how your post could be further from the truth.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - RutgersGuy - 01-03-2016 05:45 PM

(01-03-2016 05:36 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The lack of parity is a direct correlation with the lack of talent at the QB position, or dearth of talent I should say, and the ineptitude of many ownership and front office people. It's the same franchises and owners every year that screw it up. Same with college, not a lot of great coaches out there that can build national title programs, and mostly because of the lack of resources at most mid level programs.

The lack of talent because they are no longer learning what they used to in college. The QB last year for Baylor told the jets he never was taught how to read a defense.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - HeartOfDixie - 01-03-2016 05:52 PM

I enjoy going in person but I can't stand to watch it on TV.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - adcorbett - 01-03-2016 05:53 PM

(01-03-2016 05:19 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

So your complaint is that in 20 years only 7 of the AFC teams have made the Super Bowl? You know that's almost half the AFC right?

And 12 of 16 NFC teams in that time, including the entire NFC South and entire NFC West, and 3/4 of the NFC East. OR 19 teams in 40 possible slots. Matter of fact, if you go back to 1990, of the 28 teams who have been in existence that entire time, 21 of them have been to the Super Bowl -plus one expansion team during that time making the total 22. Oh and of the 7 teams not who haven;t made said super bowl, 3 of them (Minnesota, KC, Cincy) are in the playoffs this year (remaining teams are Lions, Chargers, Dolphins, and Jets, who were just eliminated today)).

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - panama - 01-03-2016 07:32 PM

oO
---

It's not Madden. It's real life.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - DogPoundNorth - 01-03-2016 07:38 PM

No more boring than this terrible bowl season we were just put through.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - arkstfan - 01-03-2016 07:46 PM

Of the NY Six only one was worth watching for three quarters.

Broncos are proving you don't need a great QB to win in the NFL.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - panama - 01-03-2016 07:47 PM

Not new information. Trent Dilfer has a ring.

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - adcorbett - 01-03-2016 07:49 PM

(01-03-2016 07:46 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Broncos are proving you don't need a great QB to win in the NFL.

Um they are playing arguable one of the top 2 or 3 quarterbacks of all time, who came in and replaced the other guy who was not winning.

(01-03-2016 07:47 PM)panama Wrote:  Not new information. Trent Dilfer has a ring.

Hey now! 05-mafia

RE: OT: How boring is the NFL? - DexterDevil - 01-03-2016 07:51 PM

(01-03-2016 04:56 PM)upstater1 Wrote:  

Have a look at the Bills first round drafts since 2000, and then you won't be wondering why they haven't made the playoffs in 2 decades.

Bills, Browns, and Lions fans all have the same thoughts.