CSNbbs
Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies (/thread-764135.html)

Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - Fort Bend Owl - 12-23-2015 08:01 PM

Age 90. He had a long (and rich) life.

Obviously, he was one of UT's biggest boosters, but he and his wife gave some money to Rice too.

RIP.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - seniorowl - 12-23-2015 08:19 PM

Also far to BCM. Good man.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - ExcitedOwl18 - 12-23-2015 08:26 PM

The courtyard outside on the SE side of Fondren is named after him as well as a section of Duncan Hall.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-23-2015 09:02 PM

Good man, a real loss to the world. RIP.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - davidw - 12-24-2015 10:32 AM

Sort of OT: I got a chance to talk to J. Hugh Liedtke (chairman of Pennzoil) after Jamail's win against Texaco. He told me that Texaco still came out way ahead on the deal (based on the total assets acquired), even after coughing up several billion as a result of the lawsuit. I don't think many people realize that. I sure didn't.

Both Liedtke and Jamail loved Pirate's Cove down in Galveston, and both built nice houses down there after the settlement.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-24-2015 11:24 AM

(12-24-2015 10:32 AM)davidw Wrote:  Sort of OT: I got a chance to talk to J. Hugh Liedtke (chairman of Pennzoil) after Jamail's win against Texaco. He told me that Texaco still came out way ahead on the deal (based on the total assets acquired), even after coughing up several billion as a result of the lawsuit. I don't think many people realize that. I sure didn't.
Both Liedtke and Jamail loved Pirate's Cove down in Galveston, and both built nice houses down there after the settlement.

To get the cash to pay the settlement, Texaco sold a half interest in all its refining and marketing operations east of the Mississippi to Saudi Aramco.

RE: Semi OT - Joe Jamail dies - Owl75 - 12-24-2015 12:17 PM

Over the years I worked on cases with and against Joe. It was usually a lot more fun being on the same side! Sometimes this was because he got great cases, (at least when I knew him after he was established), but he was tremendous in the court room, maybe the best cross examiner I have ever seen. There was an article in Forbes some years ago that I thought captured him well. It included the observation that if he hadn't been a lawyer he would have been a great actor, that he had such a great presence. (My paraphrase).