CSNbbs
Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University (/thread-763820.html)

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - gsuncc - 07-07-2016 06:00 AM

(07-07-2016 12:31 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  Serious questions here,
I'm not 05-stirthepot at all on purpose with these questions.

But, with all the talk of the Braves leaving for a "better area", getting away from one of the worse traffic spots in the country, avoiding car break ins, wrong turns that leave you getting car jacked two blocks from the stadium etc....

Are we going to get these same issues with going to GAST games?
Or are they developing the surrounding areas?
Is Saturday traffic in that area as bad as week day? or Worse?
I go to a Braves game or two a year maybe, but don't have a real good feel on normal traffic through there each day of the week. I maybe drive through Atlanta a couple of other times a year.

I'm sure they have/will have the money for the purchase and or retro fit of the facility. But what about these problems with the location?

My gut tells me parking won't be an issue, as most games will be a Saturday, the GSU lots will be available, etc. You're talking six days a year versus 81 days too. The plan proposed in the bid mentions lots of mixed use areas too, such as shopping, convenience stores, so the plan is much more than retro-fit the Ted, it's also develop the area (ergo, Carter's involvement). Atlanta never seemed interested in developing the area, but it's in GSU's interests to do so because dorms will go there, so students and other residents ought to see the benefits...70+ acres near GSU don't become available often and GSU has a solid history of revitalizing areas once it moves in.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - eaglewraith - 07-07-2016 07:05 AM

(07-07-2016 06:00 AM)gsuncc Wrote:  

But, with all the talk of the Braves leaving for a "better area", getting away from one of the worse traffic spots in the country, avoiding car break ins, wrong turns that leave you getting car jacked two blocks from the stadium etc....

I go to a Braves game or two a year maybe, but don't have a real good feel on normal traffic through there each day of the week. I maybe drive through Atlanta a couple of other times a year.

I'm sure they have/will have the money for the purchase and or retro fit of the facility. But what about these problems with the location?

My gut tells me parking won't be an issue, as most games will be a Saturday, the GSU lots will be available, etc. You're talking six days a year versus 81 days too. The plan proposed in the bid mentions lots of mixed use areas too, such as shopping, convenience stores, so the plan is much more than retro-fit the Ted, it's also develop the area (ergo, Carter's involvement). Atlanta never seemed interested in developing the area, but it's in GSU's interests to do so because dorms will go there, so students and other residents ought to see the benefits...70+ acres near GSU don't become available often and GSU has a solid history of revitalizing areas once it moves in.

I think his question is pointing more toward the areas around the 70 acres of the Turner property. I think the plan for development for that land is pretty fleshed out (at least in concept), but there's nothing about the surrounding area. That was the issue the Braves had wasn't it? Lack of development outside the confines of their property?

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - gsuncc - 07-07-2016 07:34 AM

(07-07-2016 07:05 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 06:00 AM)gsuncc Wrote:  

I think his question is pointing more toward the areas around the 70 acres of the Turner property. I think the plan for development for that land is pretty fleshed out (at least in concept), but there's nothing about the surrounding area. That was the issue the Braves had wasn't it? Lack of development outside the confines of their property?

Much of that land was parking, the Braves had no control/influence beyond renting the Ted...what incentive was there for the Braves to handle that part of it? I know that the neighborhoods have been keen to influence the development, lots of meetings, proposals, demands, etc., but the infusion of GSU/Carter ought to help with developing the surrounding areas...there will be increased foot-traffic, etc., that should (in theory) connect the 70+ acres to those areas that border the property. Of course, no one knows for certain, but it's in GSU's interests to make sure that its footprint in the area develops and doesn't get (metaphorically speaking) "walled off" from the neighborhoods bordering the Ted.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - AlwaysSunny - 07-07-2016 08:35 AM

(07-04-2016 12:44 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-04-2016 11:18 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 03:48 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  @Panama: sorry I completely misread your earlier comment. But yes, I agree the Cumberland-Galleria Braves will definitely be a "once a year" (or less) kind of a thing for 99% of fans.

MLB (and NFL, NBA) has made it clear for a long time that it no longer views itself as ordinary, middle-class family entertainment. For good or ill that's their choice and their sticking to it.

You're crazy if you really believe this. The stadium at Cumberland will be closer to the majority of fans that attend games and own season tickets. Why would it be a once a year type of thing?
Because those folks, like most Atlantans are event attendees. It's a problem in Atlanta and Miami. They will attend the marquee games only as season ticket holders. And MLB doesn't provide 81 marquee events a year. Doesn't help that they currently suck and nobody can name any players.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yea this logic makes no sense lol. This stadium will have much better amenities, be closer to the people that actually buy tickets to game AND not be in an area that people avoided simply because of the neighborhood that it's located. Would pretty much bet it has better attendance than Turner Field did.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - AlwaysSunny - 07-07-2016 08:38 AM

(07-05-2016 01:35 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 01:28 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 01:26 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 10:47 AM)panama Wrote:  Having worked on Powers Ferry I have spent 90 minutes to Cobb Parkway. They are building a stadium in one if the most congested traffic areas of North America.

And moving from a more congested area. I'll take 75 north over the connector any day of the week. I commute it every day. No contest.
The government and most of Atlanta disagree. But hey not my problem.

Time will tell, of course, but I'm very optimistic that this move will be big win for the Braves in the long term.

It will be without question.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 07-07-2016 08:43 AM

(07-07-2016 08:35 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 03:48 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  @Panama: sorry I completely misread your earlier comment. But yes, I agree the Cumberland-Galleria Braves will definitely be a "once a year" (or less) kind of a thing for 99% of fans.

MLB (and NFL, NBA) has made it clear for a long time that it no longer views itself as ordinary, middle-class family entertainment. For good or ill that's their choice and their sticking to it.

You're crazy if you really believe this. The stadium at Cumberland will be closer to the majority of fans that attend games and own season tickets. Why would it be a once a year type of thing?
Because those folks, like most Atlantans are event attendees. It's a problem in Atlanta and Miami. They will attend the marquee games only as season ticket holders. And MLB doesn't provide 81 marquee events a year. Doesn't help that they currently suck and nobody can name any players.

Yea this logic makes no sense lol. This stadium will have much better amenities, be closer to the people that actually buy tickets to game AND not be in an area that people avoided simply because of the neighborhood that it's located. Would pretty much bet it has better attendance than Turner Field did.
It will initially because of the novelty and the people who live 15 minutes away will buy up the season tickets. But Atlantans don't go to games of losing teams. That's just a fact. And the neighborhood was not why Braves attendance has sucked. Stadium(s) in the same locale were packed in the 90s. Fortunately they were smart enough this time to keep seating to 35k so it will not lol so bad when they have 20k. But seriously let's not pretend that Atlanta is Philly or NYC or some other city where professional baseball matters.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Tuscon - 07-07-2016 10:33 AM

I live in the area right now. I'm two blocks from Turner Field. It's not as terrible a neighborhood as people make it out to be. The Braves had incentive to make it sound bad to get justification in moving. They're moving to an even worse traffic area where MARTA has already been voted down multiple times. And they say it's because of traffic and no direct MARTA connection.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 10:40 AM

(07-07-2016 08:43 AM)panama Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 08:35 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  

It will initially because of the novelty and the people who live 15 minutes away will buy up the season tickets. But Atlantans don't go to games of losing teams. That's just a fact. And the neighborhood was not why Braves attendance has sucked. Stadium(s) in the same locale were packed in the 90s. Fortunately they were smart enough this time to keep seating to 35k so it will not lol so bad when they have 20k. But seriously let's not pretend that Atlanta is Philly or NYC or some other city where professional baseball matters.

Capacity will be 41k. You are right. The vast majority of Atlantans are fair weather. They would rather go to Ponce City Market, a festival in Piedmont Park, or whatever is "the thing". So lets not pretend Atlanta is some other city where SPORTS matters. But... in metro Atlanta, it does. If you took all of my ITP friends and family that are "outraged" Atlanta Braves fans that aren't going to go to the new park since the Braves are abandoning them who went out and bought "F" Cobb County shirts and coozies, those 12 people amount to a total of 25 Braves tickets a year(and half of those were bought through work, but we will count them anyway). My wife and I average 10-12 games a year who are now season ticket holders for next year. So that is a net gain of 113 tickets purchased.
The neighborhood isn't THE reason why attendance sucked. A teams performance will always carry the majority of that burden, but it definitely was A reason why it wasn't better than it was.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 10:42 AM

(07-07-2016 10:33 AM)Tuscon Wrote:  I live in the area right now. I'm two blocks from Turner Field. It's not as terrible a neighborhood as people make it out to be. The Braves had incentive to make it sound bad to get justification in moving. They're moving to an even worse traffic area where MARTA has already been voted down multiple times. And they say it's because of traffic and no direct MARTA connection.

Again...
It is leaving a more congested spot.
3 Atlanta Roads Make The Worst Bottlenecks in the Country
Quote:You don't need a scientific study to know traffic gets bad on the downtown connector, but turns out the stretch of road where I-75 and I-85 merge through downtown is ranked as one of the 30 worst bottlenecks in the nation by the American Highway Users Alliance. The downtown connector isn't the only Atlanta road on the list. Spaghetti Junction ranks as the No. 1 worst freight bottleneck in the entire country. I-285 at Georgia 400 is ranked one of the 50 worst bottlenecks.
50 Worst Bottlenecks in America

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 10:46 AM

I think the surrounding areas will begin to rebound, and definitely see some renewal.
The connector is the connector. The connector from the Grady curve to I-20 sucks every weekday and anytime after 12 on weekends. That issue won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Tuscon - 07-07-2016 11:35 AM

(07-07-2016 10:42 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 10:33 AM)Tuscon Wrote:  I live in the area right now. I'm two blocks from Turner Field. It's not as terrible a neighborhood as people make it out to be. The Braves had incentive to make it sound bad to get justification in moving. They're moving to an even worse traffic area where MARTA has already been voted down multiple times. And they say it's because of traffic and no direct MARTA connection.

Again...
Quote:You don't need a scientific study to know traffic gets bad on the downtown connector, but turns out the stretch of road where I-75 and I-85 merge through downtown is ranked as one of the 30 worst bottlenecks in the nation by the American Highway Users Alliance. The downtown connector isn't the only Atlanta road on the list. Spaghetti Junction ranks as the No. 1 worst freight bottleneck in the entire country. I-285 at Georgia 400 is ranked one of the 50 worst bottlenecks.

I don't imagine it's a lot better at 75/285. That place is a mess, especially on 285.

Re: RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 12:01 PM

(07-07-2016 11:35 AM)Tuscon Wrote:  

Again...

I don't imagine it's a lot better at 75/285. That place is a mess, especially on 285.

Then don't say it is worse than when it is not.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Tuscon - 07-07-2016 12:03 PM

(07-07-2016 12:01 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Then don't say it is worse than when it is not.

Ok. My bad, man. It's REALLY bad up here at 75/285, not worse than the connector, and another point cited in the initial announcement to move was a lack of mass transit directly to the stadium, which they don't have either.

Re: RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 12:11 PM

(07-07-2016 12:03 PM)Tuscon Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 12:01 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Then don't say it is worse than when it is not.

Ok. My bad, man. It's REALLY bad up here at 75/285, not worse than the connector, and another point cited in the initial announcement to move was a lack of mass transit directly to the stadium, which they don't have either.

And for 50 years... we figured out how to do it in a more congested area.

The likelihood of a transit corridor being built along the northern end of 285 is more likely than MARTA line to the Ted. GDOT is pushing for it. See
http://www.revive285.com.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 07-07-2016 10:21 PM

Again...
1) the Ted is really at I-20 and Capitol. It's not like you're trying to get to Midtown and 10th. Only Pascual Perez has had any issues getting to the stadium.

2) You can take MARTA.

3) there are any number of surface streets you can take to get places in side the perimeter including the Ted.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 07-07-2016 10:25 PM

It's overstated. The Dome area is worse and and has worse traffic access. And someone decided to spend $1.6B on a new stadium there.

Re: RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-07-2016 11:17 PM

panama ' Wrote:  1) the Ted is really at I-20 and Capitol. It's not like you're trying to get to Midtown and 10th. Only Pascual Perez has had any issues getting to the stadium.

2) You can take MARTA.

3) there are any number of surface streets you can take to get places in side the perimeter including the Ted.

1. It is actually further south at Connector at Henry Aaron. Roughly 75% of people going to the Ted come from north of it. Which means navigating the connector.

2. MARTA use is at about 9% of attendance over the years. As you stated, the new stadium will seat over 20% less. But yes. You CAN take it. Hardly anyone does. Just like you CAN take CCT Xpress from the arts center. When they moved the shuttle to the west end marta station it added 30 to 45 minutes to my friend in Decatur's trip. He started driving.

3. Yep. I've took them all. North to South. Juniper. Courtland. Spring. Northside and Lowery on the west side. Cut through Morningside to get to Boulevard and Briarcliff on the east. If you are north of the 10th, it sucks. From buckhead for a 7:10 game... you better be out of the office by 5 to be in your seat for the 1st pitch.

The kicker is... the traffic isn't even due to the Braves. Once you get to 20 on the connector it is wide open to Fulton St. So it isn't the Braves traffic that gets you. It is Atlanta traffic. I can leave Buckhead at 5 and be at the Marietta Square by 6 up 75. If I have to drive to the airport at 5, I better have a flight that leaves after 8:30 if I want to be sure to be there at least an hour ahead of time if the Braves are playing or not.

Is the new location going to be a pain? Yes. But it won't be any worse than the Ted.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 07-08-2016 05:38 AM

Traffic wise in Atlanta you're not gaining anything by going Buckhead to Cumberland vs. your previous Buckhead to Downtown. People who want to go to the game will go regardless of where the stadium is. That isn't in question. The question that is in Atlanta Media's mind seemingly daily is why would they shoe horn a professional stadium essentially into a business office park that is already a daily destination for thousands of cars? And as a follow up how do you intend to manage the thousands of Braves destined cars and the thousands of workforce cars already there besides sending them to Sandy Springs...LOL.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 07-08-2016 05:41 AM

Again...

I know of no one who has or does work at Cumberland who would classify the traffic there as anything less than clusterrific.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - StanMolsonMan - 07-08-2016 10:46 AM

(07-08-2016 05:41 AM)panama Wrote:  

Again...

I know of no one who has or does work at Cumberland who would classify the traffic there as anything less than clusterrific.

My office just moved to the Galleria. This is wide open compared to my previous offices in Buckhead and Midtown.