CSNbbs
Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University (/thread-763820.html)

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - Tennessee_Eagle - 09-22-2015 10:19 PM

(09-22-2015 10:13 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 09:59 PM)Tennessee_Eagle Wrote:  
(09-18-2015 09:58 PM)panama Wrote:  If in fact they present a plan to turn the Ted into a football stadium they will come out of the woodwork.

Like when you guys started football.......got it.

They did come out of the woodwork when we started football. Membership in the Alumni Association and PAC hit all time highs. The program's mismanagement afterwards caused the decline.

It wasn't tens if millions of dollars which us what you will need for Turner. And if what you say is true, why would those people donate again to a program that mismanaged their funds and has had zero success on the fièld?

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-22-2015 10:58 PM

(09-22-2015 03:19 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 10:38 AM)panama Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 06:30 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  I like how he makes reference to the promises of transformation promised wasting money on the Olympics not working out but this time will be different. Sounds like a typical urban politician who thinks the problems in his city are caused by a lack of capital as opposed to lack of nuclear family structures and bankrupt culture breeding cyclical poverty and strife.

(09-22-2015 09:03 AM)Oldyeller Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 06:30 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  I like how he makes reference to the promises of transformation promised wasting money on the Olympics not working out but this time will be different. Sounds like a typical urban politician who thinks the problems in his city are caused by a lack of capital as opposed to lack of nuclear family structures and bankrupt culture breeding cyclical poverty and strife.

If you don't subsidize the poor in the big city the rich have no cheap labor or too expensive labor. The problem is a result of capitalism or any other ism. Accept it. The problem is when areas that don't need the subsidy get it. The big city will never stop asking for more money. It's like the Geico commercial, it's what they do. Shifting power to local government is the key.

(09-22-2015 09:17 AM)soar#417 Wrote:  We've officially gotten off topic again.

Georgia politics is a tricky beast. You essentially have Atlanta and then the rest of Georgia. Unfortunately Atlanta does need more money. When only 500,000 live within your city limits but 5 million visit or work within that same area each day, thats going to cause problems. Add on the fact that the 500,000 are the ones paying property tax or what not and you've got a serious deficit issue when looking at repairing roads, providing adequate water supply, and all around general maintenance of the city infrastructure. Add on again that in Georgia law no state tax can be givin to public transit and you've got another issue on top of that. IMO better public transit if what the city of Atlanta needs to solve a lot of its issues, including our impoverished populations. The poor 9 times out of 10 can't afford a new car and with emissions requirements they normally purchase something that is under the standards that the city requires of cars. However these people need cars because all the low wage jobs are outside the city limits. Shifting things to local governments has already happened and thats Atlanta's problem. We have too many chefs in the kitchen trying to run their own areas separate of the larger Metro area. We don't have a money problem we have an identity crisis. We aren't Atlanta, we are Cobb, Gwinett, North Fulton, Dekalb, Decatur, Marietta.....and then Atlanta.

Shoot I just ranted didn't I?

Hail Southern
[Image: Vol.-14-confused-gif.gif]

....wut...just...happened...

Don't worry about it panama, it was over your head.

Right...right...cuz Southern fans b so smart. As usual you're overly interested in something that has little to do with you.

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-22-2015 11:02 PM

(09-22-2015 10:19 PM)Tennessee_Eagle Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 10:13 PM)GaStPanthers Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 09:59 PM)Tennessee_Eagle Wrote:  
(09-18-2015 09:58 PM)panama Wrote:  If in fact they present a plan to turn the Ted into a football stadium they will come out of the woodwork.

Like when you guys started football.......got it.

They did come out of the woodwork when we started football. Membership in the Alumni Association and PAC hit all time highs. The program's mismanagement afterwards caused the decline.

It wasn't tens if millions of dollars which us what you will need for Turner. And if what you say is true, why would those people donate again to a program that mismanaged their funds and has had zero success on the fièld?

No its tens of millions spent on academics because they had the right plan and presentation. And if I tell you how much has been raised in the silent phase of the capital fundraising you may swoon. Raising money is never a problem as long as Cheryl Levick is not in the room. But keep hoping this will not happen.

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - SBEagle - 09-23-2015 06:28 AM

(09-22-2015 10:58 PM)panama Wrote:  

If you don't subsidize the poor in the big city the rich have no cheap labor or too expensive labor. The problem is a result of capitalism or any other ism. Accept it. The problem is when areas that don't need the subsidy get it. The big city will never stop asking for more money. It's like the Geico commercial, it's what they do. Shifting power to local government is the key.

Georgia politics is a tricky beast. You essentially have Atlanta and then the rest of Georgia. Unfortunately Atlanta does need more money. When only 500,000 live within your city limits but 5 million visit or work within that same area each day, thats going to cause problems. Add on the fact that the 500,000 are the ones paying property tax or what not and you've got a serious deficit issue when looking at repairing roads, providing adequate water supply, and all around general maintenance of the city infrastructure. Add on again that in Georgia law no state tax can be givin to public transit and you've got another issue on top of that. IMO better public transit if what the city of Atlanta needs to solve a lot of its issues, including our impoverished populations. The poor 9 times out of 10 can't afford a new car and with emissions requirements they normally purchase something that is under the standards that the city requires of cars. However these people need cars because all the low wage jobs are outside the city limits. Shifting things to local governments has already happened and thats Atlanta's problem. We have too many chefs in the kitchen trying to run their own areas separate of the larger Metro area. We don't have a money problem we have an identity crisis. We aren't Atlanta, we are Cobb, Gwinett, North Fulton, Dekalb, Decatur, Marietta.....and then Atlanta.

Hail Southern

Right...right...cuz Southern fans b so smart. As usual you're overly interested in something that has little to do with you.

Considering you can only add a useless gif (that is not near as cute and funny as you seem to think it is) I'd say it's you that "b so smart". I'm overly interested in something that had little to do with me? I live in Georgia. Pay taxes in Georgia. I don't care if Ga State gets Turner or not unless it cost me one cent more. Then I will care. However, I am interested in how the mayor assisted the governor in getting the port dig going. If he truly did, then more power to him. Reading between the lines I'm seeing a false claim that is setting himself for a footing to run for governor. I don't trust him or Deal and neither should Ga State but I guess you have to cling to whatever life line you can. My question for panther fans is, What happens if this falls through? Many of you leave the impression this is what's going to build your program up to the statue you aspire. If it doesn't happen, what is plan B? I've seen it insinuated that this might kill the program if it doesn't happen, little dramatic if you ask me.

I hope it happens as long as I don't have to pay for it.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 06:49 AM

Less caffeine.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - Tennessee_Eagle - 09-23-2015 08:40 AM

(09-22-2015 11:02 PM)panama Wrote:  No its tens of millions spent on academics because they had the right plan and presentation. And if I tell you how much has been raised in the silent phase of the capital fundraising you may swoon. Raising money is never a problem as long as Cheryl Levick is not in the room. But keep hoping this will not happen.

I hope you guys get a stadium because I think that means you will need state funds and that means Hello New Basketball Arena for us.

Again, how much has been specifically raised FOR athletics. Ga State has shown no propensity to raise money real money for athletics. The kind of money that will be needed to build athletic facilities. Hell, it took what 4 years for you to build a weight room and that shed looks nothing like what was originally planned.

This is to be expected for a school that has only really been involved from an athletics standpoint the last few years. But ya'll act like you are world beaters when it comes to fund raising and at the snap of a finger you can get what you need.

You make fun of us of for being a small, rural school with a bunch of poor rednecks as our alumni, yet we are putting in 1.4M worth of upgrades to our stadium next year which includes a turf field. That is more than you spent on the weight room which took years to build.

Do I think you are going to get Turner Field, I do But I think all it will have on it is a bunch of new academic buildings and dorms.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 08:55 AM

(09-23-2015 08:40 AM)Tennessee_Eagle Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 11:02 PM)panama Wrote:  No its tens of millions spent on academics because they had the right plan and presentation. And if I tell you how much has been raised in the silent phase of the capital fundraising you may swoon. Raising money is never a problem as long as Cheryl Levick is not in the room. But keep hoping this will not happen.

I hope you guys get a stadium because I think that means you will need state funds and that means Hello New Basketball Arena for us.

Again, how much has been specifically raised FOR athletics. Ga State has shown no propensity to raise money real money for athletics. The kind of money that will be needed to build athletic facilities. Hell, it took what 4 years for you to build a weight room and that shed looks nothing like what was originally planned.

This is to be expected for a school that has only really been involved from an athletics standpoint the last few years. But ya'll act like you are world beaters when it comes to fund raising and at the snap of a finger you can get what you need.

You make fun of us of for being a small, rural school with a bunch of poor rednecks as our alumni, yet we are putting in 1.4M worth of upgrades to our stadium next year which includes a turf field. That is more than you spent on the weight room which took years to build.

Do I think you are going to get Turner Field, I do But I think all it will have on it is a bunch of new academic buildings and dorms.

Regarding the first statement in bold lettering. Not true. A strong GS is good for Georgia and especially Coastal Georgia.

Regarding the second statement, then really there would be no point. The stadium is the prize. Period.We don't need buildings that bad. If that were the case then sign a lease today to play at the Benz and call it a day. Its really too much trouble and expense to not end up in Turner Field.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - bullitt_60 - 09-23-2015 09:00 AM

The AFCRA has hired CBRE to provide no value, I mean, real estate consulting services.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 09:46 AM

(09-23-2015 09:00 AM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  The AFCRA has hired CBRE to provide no value, I mean, real estate consulting services.

LOL! Now now. many will have to wet their beak on yet another massive Atlanta project.

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - SBEagle - 09-23-2015 11:25 AM

(09-23-2015 06:49 AM)panama Wrote:  Less caffeine.

No caffeine. Must have been over your head again. Sorry, I'll dumb it down for you next time.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 11:33 AM

(09-23-2015 11:25 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  

No caffeine. Must have been over your head again. Sorry, I'll dumb it down for you next time.

[Image: Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif]

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - SBEagle - 09-23-2015 11:56 AM

(09-23-2015 11:33 AM)panama Wrote:  

Lol, I guess you are true to who you are.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 12:41 PM

(09-23-2015 11:56 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  

Always play to your audience's level 03-wink

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - SBEagle - 09-23-2015 01:07 PM

(09-23-2015 12:41 PM)panama Wrote:  

I'll have to keep that in mind during future discussions with you. 03-wink:D

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - StanMolsonMan - 09-23-2015 01:31 PM

(09-23-2015 06:28 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  However, I am interested in how the mayor assisted the governor in getting the port dig going. If he truly did, then more power to him.

The story goes... Steve Green, chairman of the Georgia Ports Authority, was trying to get traction in the White House for it, but Georgia was a Republican-ruled state that had just elected a new governor – who had once joined in GOP demands for Obama’s birth certificate. And Georgia’s GOP House members, under tea-party pressure, had just sworn off earmarks.

Long story short, they had been stonewalled. Mutual friends arranged a meeting with Reed. Reed took up the cause from there, and lobbied the White House every chance he could. Which what people say was his first step in running for governor in '18.

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 01:39 PM

(09-23-2015 01:07 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 12:41 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 11:25 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  No caffeine. Must have been over your head again. Sorry, I'll dumb it down for you next time.

I'll have to keep that in mind during future discussions with you. 03-wink:D
LOL!

AFCR Meeting this Evening

Re: RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - SBEagle - 09-23-2015 02:03 PM

(09-23-2015 01:31 PM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 06:28 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  However, I am interested in how the mayor assisted the governor in getting the port dig going. If he truly did, then more power to him.

The story goes... Steve Green, chairman of the Georgia Ports Authority, was trying to get traction in the White House for it, but Georgia was a Republican-ruled state that had just elected a new governor – who had once joined in GOP demands for Obama’s birth certificate. And Georgia’s GOP House members, under tea-party pressure, had just sworn off earmarks.

Long story short, they had been stonewalled. Mutual friends arranged a meeting with Reed. Reed took up the cause from there, and lobbied the White House every chance he could. Which what people say was his first step in running for governor in '18.

Thanks Stan

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - Oldyeller - 09-23-2015 02:10 PM

Hail Southern

Kinda like when you shared your disappointment with having to be associated with CCU on the CUSA board.
Epic Applause

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - panama - 09-23-2015 02:36 PM

(09-23-2015 02:10 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  

(09-22-2015 09:03 AM)Oldyeller Wrote:  If you don't subsidize the poor in the big city the rich have no cheap labor or too expensive labor. The problem is a result of capitalism or any other ism. Accept it. The problem is when areas that don't need the subsidy get it. The big city will never stop asking for more money. It's like the Geico commercial, it's what they do. Shifting power to local government is the key.

Hail Southern

Kinda like when you shared your disappointment with having to be associated with CCU on the CUSA board.
Epic Applause

wut

RE: Georgia State's plan for Turner Field challenged - Oldyeller - 09-23-2015 04:02 PM

http://csnbbs.com/thread-743134-page-10.html