CSNbbs
Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University (/thread-763820.html)

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - timber - 09-05-2017 01:15 PM

(09-05-2017 12:34 PM)Usajags Wrote:  If parking and traffic was horrible this past week, where will everyone park once they turn the parking lot back into a baseball stadium???

Also, when they gonna change the signs on the interstate from Turner Field to GaSt Stadium???

There are lots seen in the video to the south and southeast plus a parking deck.

Dunno on the highway signs, that's a state thing, not university.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-05-2017 01:53 PM

(09-05-2017 01:15 PM)timber Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 12:34 PM)Usajags Wrote:  If parking and traffic was horrible this past week, where will everyone park once they turn the parking lot back into a baseball stadium???

Also, when they gonna change the signs on the interstate from Turner Field to GaSt Stadium???

There are lots seen in the video to the south and southeast plus a parking deck.

Dunno on the highway signs, that's a state thing, not university.

Supposedly the highway signs are awaiting final naming of the stadium.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Golota - 09-05-2017 02:54 PM

(09-05-2017 01:43 AM)ChooChoo Wrote:  

If you pause at the :05/:06 sec mark you can see what the future holds for the infamous right field seats and concourse behind the new east side stands. The word is the plan is to take out the seating and add an indoor practice area in that space, with additional seating added above the new east stands. You can also see it from (:17 til :41) and another perspective at 1:11/1:12.

Looks really cool.

What are the chances this actually happens?
Start time?
Cost?

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-05-2017 04:20 PM

100% it happens (referring to Athletics' piece). Timeline is the question as in what is the priority order now that the Convocation Center is in the mix along with baseball, soccer and track.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Usajags - 09-05-2017 04:22 PM

Watched the whole video, it's impressive, if it all comes to life. Does a university, especially this university, have top he pull to make it happen???

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - timber - 09-05-2017 04:38 PM

(09-05-2017 04:22 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Watched the whole video, it's impressive, if it all comes to life. Does a university, especially this university, have top he pull to make it happen???

Hmmm, which parts are you talking about? The pure Carter parts are definitely happening, or are already starting to happen, now. If you are talking about the baseball stadium and IPF those could be more flexible in timeframe but again its a joint project so there's little chance we back out. It's not like we are fully driving the ship on this entire project.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-05-2017 04:54 PM

(09-05-2017 04:38 PM)timber Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 04:22 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Watched the whole video, it's impressive, if it all comes to life. Does a university, especially this university, have top he pull to make it happen???

Hmmm, which parts are you talking about? The pure Carter parts are definitely happening, or are already starting to happen, now. If you are talking about the baseball stadium and IPF those could be more flexible in timeframe but again its a joint project so there's little chance we back out. It's not like we are fully driving the ship on this entire project.
More importantly for our piece is Becker is really pushing Athletics as a part of the University experience and we are in a particular point of time as far a s support from the Governor, Lt. Governor and USG Chancellor. Timetable is really protracted because we are not talking renovation in the case of the non football facilities. Convocation Center from BOR approved through deaign to built could take 3 or 3.5 years for example.

As far as the Carter piece you will see something start next year after they break ground on the private down and start leasing restaurant space down Georgia Ave.

The term especially this University is funny. People confuse football for the rest of the University. We own $7B of Downtown. We are pretty adept at building and real estate. Just suck at football.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - Usajags - 09-05-2017 05:40 PM

(09-05-2017 04:54 PM)panama Wrote:  

More importantly for our piece is Becker is really pushing Athletics as a part of the University experience and we are in a particular point of time as far a s support from the Governor, Lt. Governor and USG Chancellor. Timetable is really protracted because we are not talking renovation in the case of the non football facilities. Convocation Center from BOR approved through deaign to built could take 3 or 3.5 years for example.

As far as the Carter piece you will see something start next year after they break ground on the private down and start leasing restaurant space down Georgia Ave.

The term especially this University is funny. People confuse football for the rest of the University. We own $7B of Downtown. We are pretty adept at building and real estate. Just suck at football.

My term "especially this university" was meaning, not the "flagship" university. None of us are UGA, UA, AU, LSU, T&M, Michigan, OSU. Any of those schools announce a community build around campus and in the athletic center, stores and residences would sell out before the announcement ended. None of us SBC schools have that type of support.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-05-2017 09:16 PM

(09-05-2017 05:40 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

My term "especially this university" was meaning, not the "flagship" university. None of us are UGA, UA, AU, LSU, T&M, Michigan, OSU. Any of those schools announce a community build around campus and in the athletic center, stores and residences would sell out before the announcement ended. None of us SBC schools have that type of support.

We have been doing similar stuff downtown for a couple of decades (Fairlie-Poplar, Auburn Avenue). It's the reason that people in city and state government called Mark Becker within minutes of the Braves announcement.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - itsmeagain - 09-06-2017 01:21 AM

One thing I'll say for the USG is that they tend to keep away from favoritism for the most part. They've treated Tech, UGA, State, and Augusta University with about the same level of appreciation, without holding anyone back for stupid reasons. I don't know of any childishness similar to LSU's protection from anyone being called Louisiana outright or the things Alabama has done to UAB. It probably helps that the former USG chancellor was a State student and that two of the lieutenant governors kids have been athletes at State too. Not that that has given us any special favours, I think it's just allowed us relative autonomy to where, so long as we are accountable for what we're doing, we can do it.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - runamuck - 09-06-2017 06:47 AM

(09-06-2017 01:21 AM)itsmeagain Wrote:  

One thing I'll say for the USG is that they tend to keep away from favoritism for the most part. They've treated Tech, UGA, State, and Augusta University with about the same level of appreciation, without holding anyone back for stupid reasons. I don't know of any childishness similar to LSU's protection from anyone being called Louisiana outright or the things Alabama has done to UAB. It probably helps that the former USG chancellor was a State student and that two of the lieutenant governors kids have been athletes at State too. Not that that has given us any special favours, I think it's just allowed us relative autonomy to where, so long as we are accountable for what we're doing, we can do it.

that video was cool, but one more game like last week and they probably wont have a parking problem to worry about.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-06-2017 07:22 AM

(09-06-2017 06:47 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 01:21 AM)itsmeagain Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 04:38 PM)timber Wrote:  Hmmm, which parts are you talking about? The pure Carter parts are definitely happening, or are already starting to happen, now. If you are talking about the baseball stadium and IPF those could be more flexible in timeframe but again its a joint project so there's little chance we back out. It's not like we are fully driving the ship on this entire project.

that video was cool, but one more game like last week and they probably wont have a parking problem to worry about.
It's all good. Shaen Elliott was not hored because we have a great team. And we are playing the long game here. Both the GSU and Carter stuff in that video will take well into the 2020's to complete.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - AlwaysSunny - 09-06-2017 02:14 PM

It's still up in the air whether he was even a good hire.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-06-2017 04:28 PM

(09-06-2017 02:14 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  It's still up in the air whether he was even a good hire.

No argument there. Same for Trickett at OC.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - timber - 09-06-2017 05:02 PM

(09-06-2017 04:28 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 02:14 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  It's still up in the air whether he was even a good hire.

I would've loved some splashier hires, but I'm not going to judge any of the coaching staff, way too soon.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - panama - 09-06-2017 05:45 PM

(09-06-2017 05:02 PM)timber Wrote:  

I would've loved some splashier hires, but I'm not going to judge any of the coaching staff, way too soon.
Will all be about what kind of adjustments they can make. Keep hearing Trickett is a genius.

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - RoyK - 09-06-2017 08:31 PM

(09-06-2017 05:45 PM)panama Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 05:02 PM)timber Wrote:  

Will all be about what kind of adjustments they can make. Keep hearing Trickett is a genius.

I hope so. Time for some of the guys to step up or get replaced.

Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - gschwendt - 09-21-2017 08:41 PM

Inspection uncovers serious safety problems at Georgia State Stadium

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/inspection-uncovers-serious-safety-problems-at-georgia-state-stadium/612721667

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - WolfBird - 09-21-2017 09:04 PM

(09-21-2017 08:41 PM)gschwendt Wrote:  Inspection uncovers serious safety problems at Georgia State Stadium

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/inspection-uncovers-serious-safety-problems-at-georgia-state-stadium/612721667

Wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Turner Field to be sold to Georgia State University - timber - 09-21-2017 11:18 PM

(09-21-2017 09:04 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 08:41 PM)gschwendt Wrote:  Inspection uncovers serious safety problems at Georgia State Stadium

Wow
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Braves! (Hopefully everyone here is smart enough to figure that out... I'm trying to include you too WolfBird)

Also, there was/is already a safety plan in place and the issues are already being addressed. Not really a huge deal, very sensational news station though. Moving along.