CSNbbs
2017 Hoops Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 Hoops Recruiting (/thread-763548.html)

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Duke Dawg - 04-25-2017 12:42 PM

ok, i'm pretty stoked about this recruiting class and think it is the best in awhile for us.

that said, after watching Wilson's mix tape, I think its best to cool the jets on him. He is physically ready for college. No doubt about it. But I can see why larger schools weren't on him. His pure basketball skills need some major work. Footwork is slow and lumbering. Didn't see him do more than take one power dribble or two. Shot is ok, but again, slow release and not effortless.

he looks like a TE or DE just learning to play hoops. He'll be ferocious on the boards and on defense. But i wouldn't expect ANY offense out of him except dunks and putbacks.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Bogey - 04-25-2017 01:45 PM

(04-25-2017 12:42 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  ok, i'm pretty stoked about this recruiting class and think it is the best in awhile for us.

that said, after watching Wilson's mix tape, I think its best to cool the jets on him. He is physically ready for college. No doubt about it. But I can see why larger schools weren't on him. His pure basketball skills need some major work. Footwork is slow and lumbering. Didn't see him do more than take one power dribble or two. Shot is ok, but again, slow release and not effortless.

he looks like a TE or DE just learning to play hoops. He'll be ferocious on the boards and on defense. But i wouldn't expect ANY offense out of him except dunks and putbacks.

Florida Gulf Coast really wanted this kid. I know that this is not a high major but they have had some pretty decent teams recently and they have a coach who is on the radar screen for bigger jobs.
You assessment of Dwight is not totally off base. What I would say is that his shot is a lot better than you might think. The shot may not look pure and he may not have a lightning release but he shoots a good percentage from 10 to 12 feet and the release should be plenty fast enough for a five man taking medium range shots. I have actually seen him be surprisingly quick on his feet at times and than at other times he resembles what you have described. Once again consistent with your assessment, I think he is still learning to play the game. Everyone describes Dwight as a gym rat so the chances of him getting better are pretty good. He is a good student and by all accounts seems to be very coachable.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - JacksonHall - 04-25-2017 01:45 PM

(04-25-2017 12:42 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  ok, i'm pretty stoked about this recruiting class and think it is the best in awhile for us.

To keep things in perspective, he still looks like an upgrade from anyone else that played in the post for JMU last year - and they were seniors in college, not high school.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - ShadyP - 04-25-2017 02:20 PM

I don't know about everyone else but I would love a big man who could just grab a rebound and dunk the ball when close to the rim.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - olddawg - 04-25-2017 02:57 PM

6 points, 7 rebounds, a block or two and great defense. At our level, I'd take that and be happy from a post player...

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - JacksonHall - 04-25-2017 03:02 PM

(04-25-2017 02:20 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  

I don't know about everyone else but I would love a big man who could just grab a rebound and dunk the ball when close to the rim.

Amen to that. That's Cacok's game with UNCW and he won some league awards this year. JMU had no high flyers last year. This freshman class is going to change that.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Rock House Duke - 04-25-2017 03:22 PM

Wilson's highlight tape reminds me of a more polished Yohanny Dalembert coming out of high school. Once Dalembert went down with his injury Wilson would have become the starter if he was on the roster last year.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 04-25-2017 03:47 PM

(04-25-2017 02:57 PM)olddawg Wrote:  6 points, 7 rebounds, a block or two and great defense. At our level, I'd take that and be happy from a post player...

...especially from a freshman. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Longhorn - 04-25-2017 04:53 PM

So, what is Wilson's true height? 6'7"? Or 6'8"? Or 6'9"?

And what is his real weight? I've read lists that put his weight anywhere between 210 to 240.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - olddawg - 04-25-2017 05:03 PM

(04-25-2017 04:53 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  So, what is Wilson's true height? 6'7"? Or 6'8"? Or 6'9"?

And what is his real weight? I've read lists that put his weight anywhere between 210 to 240.

Haha! I too have seen all 3 heights listed. We can shrink players with the best of them though. If he's 6'8 now, he'll be 6'6.5" by the time he sees the court.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 04-25-2017 05:30 PM

Wilson is a Man Child- he will be a presence in the paint like JMU hasn't had since the Junkyard Dog.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 04-25-2017 05:31 PM

(04-25-2017 08:19 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  We offered a 2020 C from Hampton, VA. Still a LONG while away, but always like seeing us a) with an eye towards the future, and b) looking local.

Flurry of offers for 2018 and beyond guys yesterday- probably will get it's own thread. Saw one was 4 stars another 3.5

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 04-25-2017 05:38 PM

(04-25-2017 09:16 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  I agree Seton Hall would be a game changer but I feel Rowe has a silent commitment from another PG under his sleeve and is waiting for Wheeler to make his decision before going public with the news.

You may be right but it's hard in todays age to keep something under your sleeve in terms of a recruit- unless it's another wing guard (like Sheryl Swoops kid who is a juco or Tyler Foster). I don't see JMU linked to any other PGs in 2017. Everyone else moved on (Carey, Wiley, Forrester who's Dad by the way played for Bobby Cremins at G Tech). IMO Wheeler is the one under the sleeve.

BTW someone mentioned once Wheeler was on Seton Halls campus we'd be in trouble- I know this isn't what that poster meant but the JMU campus is light years ahead of Seton Halls but I get that they are Big East, play an up tempo system, etc. It was originally reported that Auburn would be yesterday 4/24. Not sure how these things work with de-commits but Seton Hall official may have replaced the Auburn official. With the Duquesne visit and I think an earlier visit to JMU plus Penn State and Seton Hall isn't the limit 5 officials? He may be done with visits at this point.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - HyperDuke - 04-25-2017 06:24 PM

(04-25-2017 05:30 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Wilson is a Man Child- he will be a presence in the paint like JMU hasn't had since the Junkyard Dog.

JYD!

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - AssyrianDuke - 04-26-2017 08:03 AM

(04-25-2017 05:31 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(04-25-2017 08:19 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  We offered a 2020 C from Hampton, VA. Still a LONG while away, but always like seeing us a) with an eye towards the future, and b) looking local.

Flurry of offers for 2018 and beyond guys yesterday- probably will get it's own thread. Saw one was 4 stars another 3.5

I had only seen the Wilson (2020 C) offer in the recent activity on VC, but it looks like a few more have been added there as well. Hopefully we hear some more chatter going into this weekend, as it is the last evaluation period of the spring.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Bogey - 04-26-2017 08:53 AM

(04-25-2017 04:53 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  So, what is Wilson's true height? 6'7"? Or 6'8"? Or 6'9"?

I am not sure about his precise height but I can tell you with certainty that he is closer to 250 than 240. And he is not carrying any fat.
He is here and not going to the ACC so we know he is not a finished product. He is going to be a work in process who should be a very good get for this level.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Centdukesfan - 04-26-2017 09:27 AM

wheeler tweeted that hes not going on an official visit to auburn, which means he probably made up his mind. Unsure of where he will land though!

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Duke It Out - 04-26-2017 10:04 AM

(04-26-2017 09:27 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  wheeler tweeted that hes not going on an official visit to auburn, which means he probably made up his mind. Unsure of where he will land though!

...probably not Auburn. 03-lmfao

Definitely interesting. Seton Hall seems to have a gaping hole at PG, and a lot of pieces returning from a NCAA Tournament team. Seems like we might hear something soon.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - JMU08 - 04-26-2017 10:25 AM

(04-26-2017 10:04 AM)Duke It Out Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 09:27 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  wheeler tweeted that hes not going on an official visit to auburn, which means he probably made up his mind. Unsure of where he will land though!

...probably not Auburn. 03-lmfao

Definitely interesting. Seton Hall seems to have a gaping hole at PG, and a lot of pieces returning from a NCAA Tournament team. Seems like we might hear something soon.

Must be staying away from their message board. Posters are not interested in him one bit.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 04-26-2017 10:32 AM

At this point in the recruiting game, there are a lot of guys looking around to see what other guys are going to do (as far as where they sign, competition/inventory at positions, etc.). They have until May 17.