CSNbbs
2017 Hoops Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 Hoops Recruiting (/thread-763548.html)

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 03-27-2017 06:43 AM

I've heard Scissum referred to as a stretch 4 and also as an athletic big. I'm not sure what to expect but he does seem to be more athletic than any big that JMU has had in a while. He looks like he has a lot of length- so he seems taller than 6'8" on the defensive end. While he didn't do much his freshman year at VCU it's important to remember that he will play as a red shirt Sophomore next season so he will have 3 years to contribute.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - AssyrianDuke - 03-27-2017 07:58 AM

I'm just waiting for signing day to start so we can get a better understanding of the team Rowe is putting together. April 12 cannot get here soon enough.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Bogey - 03-27-2017 11:02 AM

(03-26-2017 07:50 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Scissum, from what I've read and been told, is a high-level athlete.

According to Yoyo, Scissum was a human pogo stick in AAU. For whatever reason he is not that kind of player anymore. He will be in the rotation but don't look for a dominating player.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - RamDawg - 03-27-2017 12:56 PM

(03-27-2017 11:02 AM)Bogey Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 07:50 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Scissum, from what I've read and been told, is a high-level athlete.

According to Yoyo, Scissum was a human pogo stick in AAU. For whatever reason he is not that kind of player anymore. He will be in the rotation but don't look for a dominating player.

I believe many will be pretty surprised by Scissum. (hopefully) He was recruited by Smart, but Wade was the coach by the time he got to VCU. "I've been told" that he transferred/released because he and Wade didn't get along, at all. He wasn't going to get PT with the depth VCU had at the 4. He's very athletic, gets up and down the floor, has a mid range shot and knows how to take up space. If I were a conditioning coach, I would be feeding him lots of pasta and cheese burgers, spending a lot of time in the weight room this off season. He didn't get a lot of game time so we haven't seen much but he reminded me a lot of Justin Tillman.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 03-27-2017 11:12 PM

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/preps/2017/03/26/lincolns-wilson-gets-top-leadership-marks-player-year/99634606/

An article on Dwight Wilson winning a player of the year award. JMU is in the mix on another big from the same conference (first team within the same article), Corbin Merritt. 6'9" big and appears to be more of a shot blocker than Wilson. He was a Senior but there is some discussion around whether he will go 2017 or 2018. JMU is in his final 8. 2.5 stars on 247 and 3 stars on ESPN. Would be a good get. Saw where Wichita State, Miami of Ohio and some major programs were involved. Would be a great get for JMU if they are able to land this young man and pair him with former conference mate Dwight Wilson as anchors down low for the next 4 years.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - tribe_transfer - 03-28-2017 06:26 AM

Article in the DNR today said Rowe and Taylor flew out to the NJCAA Tournament because he wanted veterans to balance out the classes. Rowe was quoted saying they were particularly looking for bigs to rebound.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Rock House Duke - 03-28-2017 07:44 PM

I hope Rowe uses one of the three open scholarships to pick up another ball handler. I wonder if we will be able to pick up another incoming freshman or if all the remaining 'ships will be used on older guys?

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - VCUfan - 03-29-2017 06:58 AM

(03-27-2017 12:56 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(03-27-2017 11:02 AM)Bogey Wrote:  

I believe many will be pretty surprised by Scissum. (hopefully) He was recruited by Smart, but Wade was the coach by the time he got to VCU. "I've been told" that he transferred/released because he and Wade didn't get along, at all. He wasn't going to get PT with the depth VCU had at the 4. He's very athletic, gets up and down the floor, has a mid range shot and knows how to take up space. If I were a conditioning coach, I would be feeding him lots of pasta and cheese burgers, spending a lot of time in the weight room this off season. He didn't get a lot of game time so we haven't seen much but he reminded me a lot of Justin Tillman.

Scissum was recruited and brought on by Will Wade. I believe he was his first commit at VCU. Smart wasn't involved in that recruitment.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukes84 - 03-29-2017 09:43 AM

Regarding Scissum:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/lee-huntsville_3-star_forward.html

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Bogey - 03-29-2017 09:56 AM

The problem with Scissum is that he doesn't handle well enough to be a 3 and he gets pushed around at the 4. He is a pretty good catch and shoot player and has an old world work ethic. Hopefully he gets better but there was a reason why he almost never got off the bench at VCU. As the earlier link points out, he was pretty well thought of coming out of high school.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 03-29-2017 10:03 AM

(03-29-2017 09:56 AM)Bogey Wrote:  The problem with Scissum is that he doesn't handle well enough to be a 3 and he gets pushed around at the 4. He is a pretty good catch and shoot player and has an old world work ethic. Hopefully he gets better but there was a reason why he almost never got off the bench at VCU. As the earlier link points out, he was pretty well thought of coming out of high school.

Not too worried at this point. It isn't like he was a 4- or 5-star prospect coming out of HS. I normally view 4-5 star prospects as immediate contributors and potential starters, while not always the case of course 3-star or lower prospects aren't depended on until their soph or junior seasons most of the time.

I don't think anybody has delusions that Scissum is going to be an All-CAA player next season - or ever during his time at JMU for that matter. He might not even be a starter for JMU. That is OK if so. He's just a R-Soph who has been away from available game playing time for 20+ months by time he will suit up for this upcoming November. It isn't like we're talking about a 5th year senior here.

If he plays some tough defense, grabs 4-5 boards a game, and is a shot blocking threat, he will be exactly what Rowe needs along with incomer Wilson. Get some points from those 2 bigs and that's even better.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 03-29-2017 10:03 AM

(03-28-2017 06:26 AM)tribe_transfer Wrote:  Article in the DNR today said Rowe and Taylor flew out to the NJCAA Tournament because he wanted veterans to balance out the classes. Rowe was quoted saying they were particularly looking for bigs to rebound.

"balance out the classes"

What a nice concept. 03-cloud9

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukes84 - 03-29-2017 12:56 PM

I think it's more important to get good players that can play regardless of what year they are than to worry about balancing out classes. 40% of guys end up transferring out anyway. JMU needs talent any way it can get it.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 03-29-2017 04:00 PM

Maryland freshman forward Micah Thomas is leaving the program and will transfer, the school announced on Wednesday afternoon.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - NJDuke97 - 03-30-2017 01:14 AM

There are a lot of transfer opportunities out there from local schools (UVA, Maryland, etc.), with local Virginia area kids, or with kids that have some connection in terms of being recruited by JMU or the Rowe or Taylor at their prior schools. Here are just a couple from today:

Eric Hamilton (Wichita State) 6 '8 PF from Atlanta. Was recruited/offered by JMU originally out of high school. He didn't play much at Wichita State but obviously that's a very good program where playing time can be hard to come by. 2 years of eligibility left would need to red shirt next year.

Dondre Griffin (Murray State) 6'1 PG from North Carolina. JMU was a finalist for Griffin last year before losing out and ultimately recruiting another NC PG (Jordan Shepherd) . Many recruiting folks had Griffin rated ahead of Shepherd yet he didn't play really his Freshman year at Murray State who struggled. 3 years of eligibility left would need to red shirt next year.

Also some of the coaching changes could help JMU. Matt McCall is the new UMASS coach from Tennessee Chattanooga. UTC is the team that has most recently been in on Darius Banks. Does McCall continue to recruit Banks to play at UMASS? Despite the Pat Kelsey fiasco I don't think Umass bled any players and they don't appear to have any open scholarships at the moment.

It looks like Rowe has identified a big who can help immediately over a guard who can- ideally they would get 1 more of each and then either carry over the last scholarship or use it on a 4 year transfer who can red shirt next year.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - nyduke - 03-30-2017 07:24 AM

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Need impact players

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - AssyrianDuke - 03-30-2017 08:28 AM

(03-30-2017 01:14 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  It looks like Rowe has identified a big who can help immediately over a guard who can- ideally they would get 1 more of each and then either carry over the last scholarship or use it on a 4 year transfer who can red shirt next year.

Any insight on who this might be? Was this in one of the DNR articles?

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukes84 - 03-30-2017 10:41 AM

If you look at the make-up of the current roster, there are five guards and five forwards. They definitely need to add a forward. I would also add a ball handler to develop as a back-up and potential future starter. As I posted before, team could use size, shooting and ball handling. They're definitely not a huge team at this point and a big with some toughness or rim protection could help. All of these things are nice to have, but they're also in short supply. Perhaps more importantly, they add a high quality assistant to the staff.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Rock House Duke - 03-30-2017 12:33 PM

With signing day less than two weeks away I'm surprised we have not heard more about guys verbally committing where they are going to sign on April 12.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - nyduke - 03-30-2017 12:58 PM

where' s barkers, wondering how climate of team is and if there are any rumors or news of guys leaving or coming in.