CSNbbs
2017 Hoops Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 Hoops Recruiting (/thread-763548.html)

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 01-19-2017 02:45 PM

Anybody know anything about this kid, Tyler Foster, listed as "Warm" with the Dukes?...

http://jmu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Targets

Often the "Crystal Ball" at 247 is a total crapshoot, but then again, I think of most all recruiting sites like this in that same manner.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukes84 - 01-19-2017 03:21 PM

(01-19-2017 02:45 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Anybody know anything about this kid, Tyler Foster, listed as "Warm" with the Dukes?...

Often the "Crystal Ball" at 247 is a total crapshoot, but then again, I think of most all recruiting sites like this in that same manner.

We've commented on this guy a number of times and Bogey indicated that he thought he would eventually commit to the Dukes.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - olddawg - 01-19-2017 06:23 PM

(01-19-2017 03:21 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  
(01-19-2017 02:45 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Anybody know anything about this kid, Tyler Foster, listed as "Warm" with the Dukes?...

We've commented on this guy a number of times and Bogey indicated that he thought he would eventually commit to the Dukes.

He does fit our size template.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Duke Dawg - 01-20-2017 08:54 AM

offers from Georgetown ( a sinking ship under JTIII) and Dayton. Those are some strong programs there. (So Miss and Drexel - average).

he is listed as 3 stars, but forget stars. that is usually ONE man's opinion. Scholarship offers are a collective opinion. if multiple good to decent schools are offering a guy, then he must be a good prospect.

hope we get him.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - PGJMU2 - 01-20-2017 10:35 AM

(01-18-2017 04:17 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  Matt Lewis from O'connell and JMU commit, had 24 against Dematha the other night in a 73-71 loss. Dematha is a basketball powerhouse and is currently no. 2 in the WashPost hs basketball rankings. they typically have 3-4 high major recruits.

Lewis looks to be a very promising pick up.

had 19 against Paul the VI, 7th ranked team in DC area. Aaron Thompson from pVI had 16 and is a Pitt commit.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Duke Dawg - 01-20-2017 10:53 AM

yea, yea. i know. why talk about next year in January. Cause i have time to kill at work and i was just curious.

Next year's roster will be young, but if the Frosh are half as good as they appear on paper, we could actually be pretty good. And a WAY different kind of team. Much more athletic and offensive minded I would bet.

Starters:

G - Mosely
G - McLean
F - Snowden
F - Jones
C - Scissom

Bench:

G - Lewis, Johnson, Holmes
F - Jacobs, Foster (?)
C - Wilson

still 2 'ships to give if Foster takes one. A graduate transfer would be great to help balance the classes and bring more experience.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 01-20-2017 11:22 AM

JMU needs to do whatever we can to get into some of these early season tournaments in favorable locations. This year, we were stuck in one of these tournaments-that's-not-really-a-tournament thingies which took us to Montana State while hosting Rice, Texas Southern and Louisiana.

The year before we hosted 4 games against FIU, Oral Roberts, UT Martin, and Eastern Mennonite in something called Men Against Breast Cancer Classic. Hey, I'm all for saving the ta ta's as the ladies say, but it does nothing for our recruiting.

The year before that we did another one of those tournaments-that's-not-really-a-tournament thing in the (Ohio State) Buckeye Classic which amounted to 3 home games and a trip to Columbus.

What I'm talking about is going to a place like the Virginia Islands for the Paradise Jam like fellow-CAA member, Drexel, is doing this upcoming season. Plus, it's good competition for our guys and typically good TV coverage. I'm not suggesting this alone will be the difference in getting a commit from a stud recruit. There are 50+ other X's in that y=f(x) transfer function. But, doing what we are doing is boring. Yes, we get home games. And yes, it costs money to travel to these locales. I get it. It also though can help HCLR and staff tell kids "by the way, next year we're going to the USVI or Puerto Rico or Cancun for 4 or 5 days and the year after that we are going again." Heck, even Randolph-Macon's women's hoops team does this.

For a look at who's playing where in early season tournaments next season, here is a good site to bookmark as a favorite by the way... http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2016/10/18/13318944/2017-18-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Maybe the Dukes will go to Vegas one day. I'll be there. I luuuuuuuv that town. :>)

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - PGJMU2 - 01-20-2017 11:38 AM

(01-20-2017 10:53 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  yea, yea. i know. why talk about next year in January. Cause i have time to kill at work and i was just curious.

Next year's roster will be young, but if the Frosh are half as good as they appear on paper, we could actually be pretty good. And a WAY different kind of team. Much more athletic and offensive minded I would bet.

Starters:

G - Mosely
G - McLean
F - Snowden
F - Jones
C - Scissom

Bench:

G - Lewis, Johnson, Holmes
F - Jacobs, Foster (?)
C - Wilson

still 2 'ships to give if Foster takes one. A graduate transfer would be great to help balance the classes and bring more experience.

boy, snowden has been a disappointment. he should have stayed in Russia

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 01-20-2017 01:18 PM

(01-20-2017 11:38 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  boy, snowden has been a disappointment. he should have stayed in Russia

Well, he did get hacked last night.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 01-20-2017 02:55 PM

(01-20-2017 11:22 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  JMU needs to do whatever we can to get into some of these early season tournaments in favorable locations. This year, we were stuck in one of these tournaments-that's-not-really-a-tournament thingies which took us to Montana State while hosting Rice, Texas Southern and Louisiana.

The year before we hosted 4 games against FIU, Oral Roberts, UT Martin, and Eastern Mennonite in something called Men Against Breast Cancer Classic. Hey, I'm all for saving the ta ta's as the ladies say, but it does nothing for our recruiting.

The year before that we did another one of those tournaments-that's-not-really-a-tournament thing in the (Ohio State) Buckeye Classic which amounted to 3 home games and a trip to Columbus.

What I'm talking about is going to a place like the Virginia Islands for the Paradise Jam like fellow-CAA member, Drexel, is doing this upcoming season. Plus, it's good competition for our guys and typically good TV coverage. I'm not suggesting this alone will be the difference in getting a commit from a stud recruit. There are 50+ other X's in that y=f(x) transfer function. But, doing what we are doing is boring. Yes, we get home games. And yes, it costs money to travel to these locales. I get it. It also though can help HCLR and staff tell kids "by the way, next year we're going to the USVI or Puerto Rico or Cancun for 4 or 5 days and the year after that we are going again." Heck, even Randolph-Macon's women's hoops team does this.

For a look at who's playing where in early season tournaments next season, here is a good site to bookmark as a favorite by the way... http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2016/10/18/13318944/2017-18-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Maybe the Dukes will go to Vegas one day. I'll be there. I luuuuuuuv that town. :>)

Isn't it about time for one of those European summer trips? I guess with all the freshman that would not make sense.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - HyperDuke - 01-20-2017 03:40 PM

Why wouldn't that make sense for freshmen?

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 01-20-2017 04:27 PM

(01-20-2017 03:40 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Why wouldn't that make sense for freshmen?

Because so many players would not join the team until September.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 01-20-2017 04:41 PM

Almost all freshmen S-A's enter school in June after May HS graduations for the summer school sessions to get ahead academically as well as get into strength & conditioning and unofficial practices/workouts with teammates.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - HyperDuke - 01-20-2017 04:53 PM

(01-20-2017 04:41 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Almost all freshmen S-A's enter school in June after May HS graduations for the summer school sessions to get ahead academically as well as get into strength & conditioning and unofficial practices/workouts with teammates.

I assumed that was the situation. Wouldn't think our basketball freshman are showing up for their first practice in late August!

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Wear Purple - 01-20-2017 05:05 PM

(01-20-2017 04:53 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(01-20-2017 04:41 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Almost all freshmen S-A's enter school in June after May HS graduations for the summer school sessions to get ahead academically as well as get into strength & conditioning and unofficial practices/workouts with teammates.

I assumed that was the situation. Wouldn't think our basketball freshman are showing up for their first practice in late August!

Pretty standard these days for most S-A's to be in school during summer as they can take heavier loads, more difficult courses, etc., which lightens the load some academically during their respective sports season. Even more important for hoopsters because their season overlaps both fall and spring semesters...as well as road games more prevalent during weeknights.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukesfan71 - 01-20-2017 05:07 PM

Incoming Freshman can now accompany teams on summer trips. A trip would be great this summer.

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 01-20-2017 05:34 PM

Anyone else want to tell me Freshman are allowed to travel on summer trips? 03-lmfao

Still think it might be more beneficial with a year under their belt once they get the offense and defensive sets down.

I guess there are pluses either way....

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - HyperDuke - 01-20-2017 05:56 PM

Dukester, why don't you believe us? 03-lmfao

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - Dukester - 01-20-2017 06:20 PM

(01-20-2017 05:56 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Dukester, why don't you believe us? 03-lmfao

I do believe you guys. I believed the first time, second time, and third time it was posted.

04-bow

RE: 2017 Hoops Recruiting - HyperDuke - 01-20-2017 07:32 PM

Maybe if we tell you some more...