CSNbbs
Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke (/thread-761957.html)

Pages: 1 2

Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - C2__ - 12-06-2015 07:39 PM

Houston only moves up one after beating Temple? They've beaten two teams ranked in their heavily weighed polls compared to, say North Carolina (0) and Ohio State (1). Not to mention Memphis, which is nowhere to be seen despite beating Ole Miss and losing only to the best teams in the AAC.

And Houston completely controlled/dominated the last two games totally if you wanna do style points and the eye test.

Goes to show that no one should have thought they were gonna make the playoffs, I'm not even sure the committee would rank them in the top ten at this rate.

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - Attackcoog - 12-06-2015 07:52 PM

(12-06-2015 07:39 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Houston only moves up one after beating Temple? They've beaten two teams ranked in their heavily weighed polls compared to, say North Carolina (0) and Ohio State (1). Not to mention Memphis, which is nowhere to be seen despite beating Ole Miss and losing only to the best teams in the AAC.

And Houston completely controlled/dominated the last two games totally if you wanna do style points and the eye test.

Goes to show that no one should have thought they were gonna make the playoffs, I'm not even sure the committee would rank them in the top ten at this rate.

Nope. Its worse than you think. We beat THREE ranked teams, plus the 4th place team in the SEC East, the 3rd place team in the ACC Atlantic Div, along with 2 unranked AAC bowl teams. Based upon the manner in which the committee determines its rankings, its clear that the current biased group serving on the committee simply doesn't even consider G5's until the top 10-15 P5's have been arranged. There will never be G5 in the playoff with the current committee membership (which is exactly why those committee members are there). As I said in the other thread, how often will a G5 get 3 ranked teams on its conference schedule? Not very often. So if victories over that cant even get you in the top 10, then how can you possibly get to the top 4? The answer is--you cant.

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - BigHouston - 12-06-2015 07:58 PM

I'm not losing any sleep over it... Houston n The AAC are going Peach Bowling and that's all that matters now.

Go Coogs

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - Cubanbull - 12-06-2015 08:00 PM

At the end of the day as long as there are only 4 playoff spots the best our champ can do its get the Access Bowl bid. We got it this year lets do it again next year

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - Attackcoog - 12-06-2015 08:04 PM

(12-06-2015 08:00 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  At the end of the day as long as there are only 4 playoff spots the best our champ can do its get the Access Bowl bid. We got it this year lets do it again next year

That's my feeling. We are locked out of the playoff (which is why I was always against a selection committee---too easy to rig). That said, the new system does guarantee that the G5 at least gets a major bowl slot every year. The AAC's mission will be to get that slot so often that it almost looks as if the AAC is a "contract conference". The across the board improvement in the conference this year marks a major step in that direction. If we can continue to be a conference with multiple ranked teams, perhaps we can eventually change the public perception enough to get better treatment by the committee.

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - bearcatfan - 12-06-2015 08:09 PM

Even if they went to 8 teams it would still take a miracle to get a G5 team in a playoff.

RE: Not that it matters in the end, the committee's rankings are a joke - BIgCatonProwl - 12-06-2015 08:21 PM

The Bowl the Peach is played a 11a Dec 31, worst time spot ( a lot of folks will be working) they have it all arranged to minimize any impact a G5 has. They call it NY6 bowl, not even on New Years Day....LoL.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - C2__ - 12-06-2015 08:36 PM

(12-06-2015 07:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 07:39 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Houston only moves up one after beating Temple? They've beaten two teams ranked in their heavily weighed polls compared to, say North Carolina (0) and Ohio State (1). Not to mention Memphis, which is nowhere to be seen despite beating Ole Miss and losing only to the best teams in the AAC.

Nope. Its worse than you think. We beat THREE ranked teams, plus the 4th place team in the SEC East, the 3rd place team in the ACC Atlantic Div, along with 2 unranked AAC bowl teams. Based upon the manner in which the committee determines its rankings, its clear that the current biased group serving on the committee simply doesn't even consider G5's until the top 10-15 P5's have been arranged. There will never be G5 in the playoff with the current committee membership (which is exactly why those committee members are there). As I said in the other thread, how often will a G5 get 3 ranked teams on its conference schedule? Not very often. So if victories over that cant even get you in the top 10, then how can you possibly get to the top 4? The answer is--you cant.

By saying they've beaten two ranked teams, I was referring to the CFP rankings, which they use to evaluate teams, not teams that were ranked when they were played. All of that and they still continue on with that big conference bias.

Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - PurpleReigns - 12-06-2015 08:51 PM

8 team playoff, p5 champs plus highest ranked G5 plus the two highest ranked teams from remaining pool.

Auto bids ranked 1-6 based on CFB committee rankings. At large bids ranked 7 and 8 accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - HP-TBDPITL - 12-06-2015 09:01 PM

Agreed. Navy was 15th. Houston beat them soundly. They started their backup QB on the road against UConn and are obviously punishing Houston for that game, which was injury based.

It absolutely shows that there is no one that does not have P5 ties on the committee.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - Comet - 12-06-2015 09:06 PM

Shouldn't have lost to UConn then you're not giving the committee ammo to rank you so low. Also how is Houston's OOC schedule shaking up in the coming years? You guys could totally have taken on a Baylor/TCU/OkieState type of team this year.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - C2__ - 12-06-2015 09:12 PM

By that logic, OU shouldn't have lost to Texas or Michigan State to Nebraska. UConn was on the road with a backup QB by 3 points. Not a great loss any way you slice it but if that was the worst thing you did all year and you beat other ranked teams as well as another just outside the rankings, you should get more respect, especially if North Carolina is in the top ten.

But as I said, it doesn't make me too mad, as UH wasn't going to the playoffs no matter what.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - Bearcats#1 - 12-07-2015 07:52 AM

which is why it would take a miracle for any AAC team to reach the playoff. You would have to go undefeated against a KILLER OOC schedule AND the AAC would have to have year like this one and you would have to run the table there too.

just isn't going to happen

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - k-vegasbuc - 12-07-2015 08:06 AM

(12-07-2015 07:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

which is why it would take a miracle for any AAC team to reach the playoff. You would have to go undefeated against a KILLER OOC schedule AND the AAC would have to have year like this one and you would have to run the table there too.

just isn't going to happen

I kind of agree. I think the best shot is for us to get in a playoff is for it to expand to 8 teams, which I do think will eventually happen. I just don't think the committee will ever give us the respect that those other conferences got. It would take a perfect storm for one of our teams to get in.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - zfred12 - 12-07-2015 08:09 AM

The loss to UCONN has to be what was holding back a major jump. Its the only explanation I can come up with. Houston would have been better off if the only loss was to a ranked team.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - uhmump95 - 12-07-2015 09:24 AM

I disagree beating UCONN wouldn't have done squat to help our ranking. Instead of being ranked 18, we probably would be ranked 12 which IMO is still too low.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - BIgCatonProwl - 12-07-2015 09:30 AM

We all know there's a double standard by the Committee when it comes to P5's and G5's...a P5 like OU can have bad day at the office a G5 cannot

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - C2__ - 12-08-2015 01:13 AM

(12-07-2015 08:09 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  The loss to UCONN has to be what was holding back a major jump. Its the only explanation I can come up with. Houston would have been better off if the only loss was to a ranked team.

I'm guessing you missed when Houston beat Temple last weekend and only moved up one spot, including behind a Baylor team that lost at home to Texas.

FTR, I'm fine with the 18 ranking in actuality but not based on the resumes themselves. The AAC wasn't the SEC circa 2010 but it had some good teams and if being in one of the so called better conferences means everything, then UH beat two teams from those conferences, Louisville on the road and Vanderbilt in a blowout shutout. Meanwhile, UNC can be ahead while beating no one of consequence all season long and lose to a bad team and Florida just behind after nearly lost to one of the worst teams in FBS and lucking out in beating Vanderbilt.

Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - IAH - 12-08-2015 09:17 AM

(12-06-2015 09:06 PM)Comet Wrote:  Shouldn't have lost to UConn then you're not giving the committee ammo to rank you so low. Also how is Houston's OOC schedule shaking up in the coming years? You guys could totally have taken on a Baylor/TCU/OkieState type of team this year.

We play Oklahoma and Louisville next year. I know we have Texas Tech on the schedule in the near future as well.

RE: Not that it matters in the end but the committee's rankings are a joke - aTxTIGER - 12-08-2015 09:19 AM

TBF, only the top 4 in the rankings really matter. The rest is just window dressing