CSNbbs
Quick Postgame Thoughts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Quick Postgame Thoughts (/thread-761610.html)

Pages: 1 2

Quick Postgame Thoughts - NIU1981 - 12-05-2015 12:09 AM

-Congrats to BGSU, the better team won. If Johnson hadn't gotten hurt they probably would have threepeated. He is very good. I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in the NFL, I don't care how tall he is. He's got it.

-We just didn't have the horses to compete tonight. It would have been nice to have Hare or Graham, Tommylee and Corey Thomas but that was essentially the situation BGSU was in last year so I don't think they're feeling too sorry for us. Also, nobody has had more good fortune than us over the past several years.

-We needed to play a perfect game in order to hang around but unfortunately had too many dropped passes, bad snaps, etc. We had a TD by Deucee in the first half if we just get the handoff but the snap was late, not sure if that was on Ness or Fiedler. Huff's fumble was big too although I'm sure Mofo will explain to us how that was Carey and/or Bob Cole's fault. I love Huff but can't resist tweaking Mofo who complains about everything.

-It was not lost on BGSU that we were depleted on the D-line. We saw tonight how important Corey Thomas is. Also I don't recall seeing a lot of Mario Jones or Ruben Dunbar and Mosely has been MIA for awhile. We were going with Compton and Chambers at tackle quite a bit in the second half and that is not our best by a long shot.

-Even with all the rushing yardage our defense did pretty well. If you told me we would hold BGSU to 34 points I would say we had a good chance to win the game. BGSU ran something like 60 plays in the FIRST HALF due to lack of anything from our offense and we still hung around.

-Time to nitpick the playcalling. It took the coaches too long to figure out that there was no way Bouagnon was going to get yards on first down, or any down really. BGSU had everybody in the box. We needed more Huff and quick throws early in the game. It looked like they had Fiedler on the Ryan Morris plan until we were already behind by 21 points. Also there was a fourth down in the second half where Deucee came in motion and we fed him right into the pile between the tackles. Not sure what the theory was there.

-Fiedler did pretty well all things considered. I'm sure he's killing himself right now because some of his mistakes were just lack of recognition which will come with playing time. He had Brescacin open for a TD on the one he underthrew for a pick. Another time the announcers pointed out that he had two guys wide open for a probable TD and threw between them. He probably changed his mind at the last second there. I like what he's made of. Fiedler has a chance to be pretty good.

-Shawun Freakin' Lurry. He would have had two picks if not for the good defensive play by Deiter.

-Kenny G is an awesome player but he really needs to work on his blocking. We could have gotten a lot more out of a few plays with any kind of a block from him.

-The bowl game could be ugly for the same reasons we saw tonight but our team should be really good next year. We will certainly have great QB depth!

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - Cowboy95 - 12-05-2015 12:31 AM

(12-05-2015 12:09 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  -Congrats to BGSU, the better team won. If Johnson hadn't gotten hurt they probably would have threepeated. He is very good. I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in the NFL, I don't care how tall he is. He's got it.

-We just didn't have the horses to compete tonight. It would have been nice to have Hare or Graham, Tommylee and Corey Thomas but that was essentially the situation BGSU was in last year so I don't think they're feeling too sorry for us. Also, nobody has had more good fortune than us over the past several years.

-We needed to play a perfect game in order to hang around but unfortunately had too many dropped passes, bad snaps, etc. We had a TD by Deucee in the first half if we just get the handoff but the snap was late, not sure if that was on Ness or Fiedler. Huff's fumble was big too although I'm sure Mofo will explain to us how that was Carey and/or Bob Cole's fault. I love Huff but can't resist tweaking Mofo who complains about everything.

-It was not lost on BGSU that we were depleted on the D-line. We saw tonight how important Corey Thomas is. Also I don't recall seeing a lot of Mario Jones or Ruben Dunbar and Mosely has been MIA for awhile. We were going with Compton and Chambers at tackle quite a bit in the second half and that is not our best by a long shot.

-Even with all the rushing yardage our defense did pretty well. If you told me we would hold BGSU to 34 points I would say we had a good chance to win the game. BGSU ran something like 60 plays in the FIRST HALF due to lack of anything from our offense and we still hung around.

-Time to nitpick the playcalling. It took the coaches too long to figure out that there was no way Bouagnon was going to get yards on first down, or any down really. BGSU had everybody in the box. We needed more Huff and quick throws early in the game. It looked like they had Fiedler on the Ryan Morris plan until we were already behind by 21 points. Also there was a fourth down in the second half where Deucee came in motion and we fed him right into the pile between the tackles. Not sure what the theory was there.

-Fiedler did pretty well all things considered. I'm sure he's killing himself right now because some of his mistakes were just lack of recognition which will come with playing time. He had Brescacin open for a TD on the one he underthrew for a pick. Another time the announcers pointed out that he had two guys wide open for a probable TD and threw between them. He probably changed his mind at the last second there. I like what he's made of. Fiedler has a chance to be pretty good.

-Shawun Freakin' Lurry. He would have had two picks if not for the good defensive play by Deiter.

-Kenny G is an awesome player but he really needs to work on his blocking. We could have gotten a lot more out of a few plays with any kind of a block from him.

-The bowl game could be ugly for the same reasons we saw tonight but our team should be really good next year. We will certainly have great QB depth!

Good points! Bougnon had a good year, yet every time I watched him run I wondered how he would gain any yards. He is very slow. His accomplishments are quite impressive given how slow he is (or NIU's line is not as bad as some of us think and any of us could have run through the holes they provided - that's not how I saw it but I didn't rewatch any games to analyze it that closely).

This was a very strange year. I was very proud of the team for their efforts against OSU and tonight (despite losing) and for beating WMU and Toledo with their 3rd or 4th string QB (depending on who you ask) yet I was incredibly disappointed with their execution and/or effort against BC, CMU, and Ohio.

Anyway, I think Rod will be back next year. I am good with this. He is not perfect, but NIU could do a lot worse. If Hare can be ready for the start of the year I am confident NIU could win the MAC next year. If not, they have a chance but it would depend on Graham's development.

Finally, between now and next year I sure hope Huff can get his stuff together and do what it takes to get himself on the field as the starter. He is clearly ultra talented but cannot keep fumbling, missing blocks that get the QB killed, and not knowing where to line up. He looks like the best runner NIU has had since Turner (that include Wolfe and Spann), but he has a lot of work to put in to come close to being the type of all around players they were.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - NIUSAE - 12-05-2015 01:29 AM

I agree would love to see more of Huff but fumbles and not knowing where to lineup will keep you on the sidelines all day. I respectfully disagree about Huff>Wolfe/Spann.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - Cowboy95 - 12-05-2015 01:46 AM

(12-05-2015 01:29 AM)NIUSAE Wrote:  I agree would love to see more of Huff but fumbles and not knowing where to lineup will keep you on the sidelines all day. I respectfully disagree about Huff>Wolfe/Spann.

I didn't say he was better than Wolfe or Spann. He is clearly not. He is a better runner - not a better player. Both Wolfe and Spann were far more complete than he is. I think we are on the same page. I'm only saying he is better with the ball in his hands (being better than Wolfe is a tough argument but Huff is 220 pounds and runs through tackles that Wolfe could not).

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - huskie1stdown - 12-05-2015 01:50 AM

Jones is the man.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - VegasHuskie - 12-05-2015 02:03 AM

(12-05-2015 12:31 AM)Cowboy95 Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 12:09 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  -Congrats to BGSU, the better team won. If Johnson hadn't gotten hurt they probably would have threepeated. He is very good. I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in the NFL, I don't care how tall he is. He's got it.

Good points! Bougnon had a good year, yet every time I watched him run I wondered how he would gain any yards. He is very slow. His accomplishments are quite impressive given how slow he is (or NIU's line is not as bad as some of us think and any of us could have run through the holes they provided - that's not how I saw it but I didn't rewatch any games to analyze it that closely).

This was a very strange year. I was very proud of the team for their efforts against OSU and tonight (despite losing) and for beating WMU and Toledo with their 3rd or 4th string QB (depending on who you ask) yet I was incredibly disappointed with their execution and/or effort against BC, CMU, and Ohio.

Anyway, I think Rod will be back next year. I am good with this. He is not perfect, but NIU could do a lot worse. If Hare can be ready for the start of the year I am confident NIU could win the MAC next year. If not, they have a chance but it would depend on Graham's development.

Finally, between now and next year I sure hope Huff can get his stuff together and do what it takes to get himself on the field as the starter. He is clearly ultra talented but cannot keep fumbling, missing blocks that get the QB killed, and not knowing where to line up. He looks like the best runner NIU has had since Turner (that include Wolfe and Spann), but he has a lot of work to put in to come close to being the type of all around players they were.

Proud of the team during the Ohio State game for not getting intimidated and punching the Buckeyes in the chin

Proud of the team for the Toledo and WMU victories

Not proud of the team tonight. They didn't play well. Yes, we have injuries, but that doesn't excuse the poor execution we witnessed all game

Rod Carey will be back. We will likely be back in the MACC again. NIU could do much worse than Coach Carey

Bouagnon is not slow. He's not going to impress pro scouts with his speed, but he's not slow. He just isn't flashy. He doesn't light up the TV screen

There is no way Huff looks like a better runner than Garrett Wolfe. Do you forget how good Garrett was? You're putting a guy who can't even get on the field regularly ahead of a guy who was a Heisman candidate for most of the season and played in the NFL

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - SiegInc - 12-05-2015 02:05 AM

I really wish the defense would stop trying to strip the ball out and just bring the guy down. It seems like several times a game they go for arm tackles and swat at the ball while the ball carrier gains another 5-10 yards he otherwise wouldn't have got.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - DiehardHuskie - 12-05-2015 03:42 AM

Turned the game.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - SiegInc - 12-05-2015 04:37 AM

Can someone explain to me how we had three all-MAC selections for our offensive line? Sorry, that just gives me the impression they should be bullying people in the trenches. Clearly not the case tonight, nor in many other games. I had a feeling we wouldn't be able to establish the run because of this, and sure enough it wasn't there (of course it took Cole half the game to figure it out). Doesn't help that ACRB falls over when someone lays a finger on him either.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - NIUSAE - 12-05-2015 09:39 AM

"I really wish the defense would stop trying to strip the ball out and just bring the guy down. It seems like several times a game they go for arm tackles and swat at the ball while the ball carrier gains another 5-10 yards he otherwise wouldn't have got. "

Agree 1000%

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - BarsemaBone2 - 12-05-2015 10:14 AM

(12-05-2015 01:29 AM)NIUSAE Wrote:  I agree would love to see more of Huff but fumbles and not knowing where to lineup will keep you on the sidelines all day. I respectfully disagree about Huff>Wolfe/Spann.

Is there anyone reasonable that thinks this?

Wolfe was a top 3 RB in program history and Spann is likely the last great RB the program has had.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - NIU05 - 12-05-2015 10:45 AM

Nothing drives me crazier than a player who does not line up right or does not know the play or the count. ERRORS before the play begins SUCK>

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - Rabid Squirrel - 12-05-2015 12:10 PM

(12-05-2015 04:37 AM)SiegInc Wrote:  Can someone explain to me how we had three all-MAC selections for our offensive line? Sorry, that just gives me the impression they should be bullying people in the trenches. Clearly not the case tonight, nor in many other games. I had a feeling we wouldn't be able to establish the run because of this, and sure enough it wasn't there (of course it took Cole half the game to figure it out). Doesn't help that ACRB falls over when someone lays a finger on him either.

Ness and Conlon's 1st team recognition was really just lifetime achievement awards. Meyer's inclusion maybe just because he was on a line with a great recent history.

This line was average this year. They did well when both the run and the pass were working to keep a defense honest. But when the defense could attack one option, they weren't good enough to physically man-up and control people.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - SiegInc - 12-05-2015 12:28 PM

I also think Cole should've let Fiedler move the ball through the air more. From the start they ran the offense like he had already thrown 3 picks, and continued to run it that way despite getting stuffed with running the ball. He showed he could do it against Ohio, then you're going to basically say "we don't believe in you." I realize he ended up making some pretty bad throws, and was probably nervous, but what are you gonna do? Let BG keep marching down the field, then handing the ball right back to them when ACRB can't get it done? Our receivers are more reliable than our RB's at bailing us out IMO, just look at that first scoring drive in the third quarter.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - Rabid Squirrel - 12-05-2015 12:33 PM

(12-05-2015 12:28 PM)SiegInc Wrote:  I also think Cole should've let Fiedler move the ball through the air more. From the start they ran the offense like he had already thrown 3 picks, and continued to run it that way despite getting stuffed with running the ball. He showed he could do it against Ohio, then you're going to basically say "we don't believe in you." I realize he ended up making some pretty bad throws, and was probably nervous, but what are you gonna do? Let BG keep marching down the field, then handing the ball right back to them when ACRB can't get it done? Our receivers are more reliable than our RB's at bailing us out IMO, just look at that first scoring drive in the third quarter.

Yeah, I thought letting the kid open it up early may get his confidence up while also loosening up the BG def. Then again, an early pick may have ruined him. I get Carey's thought process. Keep the game close by simplicity. That worked for the first quarter and half of the second. The bad snap on the sweep on 4th and 1 was really damaging.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - epasnoopy - 12-05-2015 12:34 PM

The guy made a ton of bad throws downfield. Why let him throw more? He either overthrew his targets downfield or threw interceptions right to the Bowling Green defenders. He was baaaaaaad.

Now if you say we should have thrown more short screen passes then that would make more sense. That was 80% of Matt Johnsons passes. They dinked us all night with those then had their running back run right up the middle of our defensive line.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - Cowboy95 - 12-05-2015 01:21 PM

(12-05-2015 10:14 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

Is there anyone reasonable that thinks this?

Wolfe was a top 3 RB in program history and Spann is likely the last great RB the program has had.

Read what I wrote, not that Huff is a better player, just a better runner. He is nearly as fast and is about 40 pounds heavier. Huff has homerun speed and can break tackles. That being said, Wolfe was 10 times the player because there is a lot more to playing HB than running fast and breaking tackles.

Quick Postgame Thoughts - Dog Fan - 12-05-2015 02:27 PM

It seems like our RBs get stuffed often or run for little gains, while opposing RBs chew us up for large gains. Is it the play calling, poor O-line play, our defensive front is not as good as the opposition's, our RBs are not as fast or shifty, or a combination of these? It just gets frustrating sometimes.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - NIUSAE - 12-05-2015 06:20 PM

I don't believe that Dunbar traveled with team because I don't recall him on the sideline.

RE: Quick Postgame Thoughts - HuskieBowWow - 12-05-2015 07:10 PM

(12-05-2015 02:27 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  It seems like our RBs get stuffed often or run for little gains, while opposing RBs chew us up for large gains. Is it the play calling, poor O-line play, our defensive front is not as good as the opposition's, our RBs are not as fast or shifty, or a combination of these? It just gets frustrating sometimes.

All of the above. This year's team was average overall but in the lousy MAC we still had enough to make it to the MACC with a few lucky breaks. If we weren't down to our 4th string QB we would have had a good chance to beat BG.

The MAC sucks and if we don't get out soon we will regret it.