CSNbbs
Hypothetical Question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Hypothetical Question (/thread-761542.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hypothetical Question - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-04-2015 05:26 PM

OK, let's assume for discussion purposes that Rice did fire David Bailiff, and offered you Bailiff's $800,000 salary to take the job. If you take it, what are your first moves?

RE: Hypothetical Question - mrbig - 12-04-2015 05:36 PM

Put on a diaper, because I am wholly unqualified for the job and would probably crap my pants. Hen find a former Rice player that I thought could do the job and give it to them.

If that isn't an option, dedicate $600,000 to my coordinators.

RE: Hypothetical Question - loki_the_bubba - 12-04-2015 05:36 PM

Update my wardrobe with official Rice gear.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Tiki Owl - 12-04-2015 05:39 PM

Hire OC and DC that have a style of play that they believe we can recruit to and one that is familiar to what many of the recruits may have played in during HS. This is sort of the reverse of what happen to Ken as Texas HS moved away from the 'Bone offense and getting QB's seasoned in that style became harder. Chad Nelson was the perfect example of a recruit made for his college system.

Fill out the staff with some who have a connection to Rice. Either played here, coached here (sort of like Carlin Hartman with MBB), or coached against Rice. I would want at least several coaches who had knowledge of what the situation is like. And most definitely as many assistants that have ties to Texas HS and hopefully some CA or FL connections.

Use the experience of Julie and the academic advisers and establish a relationship with the academic side of the campus. Try to make them feel as involved as possible.

Establish communications with donors and season ticket buyers. Bring back dinners on campus. Meet with the colleges (as Rhoades is doing).

Meet with local and statewide media. Lay out the vision for Rice football. Stress the advantages of playing at Rice.

And on the second day....03-lmfao

RE: Hypothetical Question - ruowls - 12-04-2015 05:45 PM

(12-04-2015 05:26 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  OK, let's assume for discussion purposes that Rice did fire David Bailiff, and offered you Bailiff's $800,000 salary to take the job. If you take it, what are your first moves?

Hire a staff
Recruit Texas
Get a plan
State the plan
Sell the plan
Work on the back end of the secondary
Learn how to spell defense
Ask Hambone how to kick a football

How did I do?

RE: Hypothetical Question - Antarius - 12-04-2015 05:46 PM

(12-04-2015 05:36 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Put on a diaper, because I am wholly unqualified for the job and would probably crap my pants. Hen find a former Rice player that I thought could do the job and give it to them.

If that isn't an option, dedicate $600,000 to my coordinators.

This.

I have ideas for the program and the department, but none of them involve me coaching a team, because its simply not something I know how to do.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Pimpa - 12-04-2015 05:53 PM

(12-04-2015 05:39 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Hire OC and DC that have a style of play that they believe we can recruit to and one that is familiar to what many of the recruits may have played in during HS. This is sort of the reverse of what happen to Ken as Texas HS moved away from the 'Bone offense and getting QB's seasoned in that style became harder. Chad Nelson was the perfect example of a recruit made for his college system.

Fill out the staff with some who have a connection to Rice. Either played here, coached here (sort of like Carlin Hartman with MBB), or coached against Rice. I would want at least several coaches who had knowledge of what the situation is like. And most definitely as many assistants that have ties to Texas HS and hopefully some CA or FL connections.

Use the experience of Julie and the academic advisers and establish a relationship with the academic side of the campus. Try to make them feel as involved as possible.

Establish communications with donors and season ticket buyers. Bring back dinners on campus. Meet with the colleges (as Rhoades is doing).

Meet with local and statewide media. Lay out the vision for Rice football. Stress the advantages of playing at Rice.

I would take this further and have the assistant coaches be associates at the colleges, going to Associates Night dinners, meeting the freshmen at O-Week, occasional lunches at the colleges. That would be a great way to get the students more involved, personalizing the team and staff. It would also help bridge the gap between the two sides of campus. And, it would give tv commentators great talking points about the uniqueness of Rice, the college system, etc. I think the Toad actually implemented this in parts when he was at Rice, and I thought it was a great idea.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Holder_Owl_84 - 12-04-2015 06:43 PM

(12-04-2015 05:26 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  OK, let's assume for discussion purposes that Rice did fire David Bailiff, and offered you Bailiff's $800,000 salary to take the job. If you take it, what are your first moves?

*Calls dad*

RE: Hypothetical Question - Tiki Owl - 12-04-2015 06:47 PM

(12-04-2015 06:43 PM)Holder_Owl_84 Wrote:  

*Calls dad*

03-lmfao Well done.

RE: Hypothetical Question - cr11owl - 12-04-2015 06:48 PM

*Calls dad*

03-lmfao out of our price range!

RE: Hypothetical Question - Hambone10 - 12-04-2015 07:38 PM

(12-04-2015 05:45 PM)ruowls Wrote:  

Hire a staff
Recruit Texas
Get a plan
State the plan
Sell the plan
Work on the back end of the secondary
Learn how to spell defense
Ask Hambone how to kick a football

How did I do?

You left off
'catch the ball'
and
'Win'

(12-04-2015 06:47 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

*Calls dad*

03-lmfao Well done.

Nicely done

RE: Hypothetical Question - RiceOwl53 - 12-04-2015 09:18 PM

(12-04-2015 05:53 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  I would take this further and have the assistant coaches be associates at the colleges, going to Associates Night dinners, meeting the freshmen at O-Week, occasional lunches at the colleges. That would be a great way to get the students more involved, personalizing the team and staff. It would also help bridge the gap between the two sides of campus. And, it would give tv commentators great talking points about the uniqueness of Rice, the college system, etc. I think the Toad actually implemented this in parts when he was at Rice, and I thought it was a great idea.

Much of this is already done. I know we helpED the freshmen move in and the freshmen football players participate in O-Week as much as possible. We also would have lunches at colleges on certain days and invite students to the game. Not a lot of consistent success on bringing students to the games though. Mostly because I don't think a lot of students at Rice really care about football.

*Calls dad*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RE: Hypothetical Question - NolaOwl - 12-04-2015 09:42 PM

*Calls dad*

Works for me! 02-13-banana

RE: Hypothetical Question - loki_the_bubba - 12-04-2015 10:56 PM

*Calls dad*

POTD

RE: Hypothetical Question - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-04-2015 11:01 PM

*Calls dad*

Well played.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-04-2015 11:02 PM

(12-04-2015 05:39 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Hire OC and DC that have a style of play that they believe we can recruit to and one that is familiar to what many of the recruits may have played in during HS. This is sort of the reverse of what happen to Ken as Texas HS moved away from the 'Bone offense and getting QB's seasoned in that style became harder. Chad Nelson was the perfect example of a recruit made for his college system.

Sounds good to me.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Barrett - 12-05-2015 12:23 AM

In terms of whom I'd hire, I'd make sure to hire assistants who have been around championship teams. That's what Gary Barnett said during his tenure at Northwestern in the mid-90s, where Northwestern went from doormat to Rose Bowl participants. Barnett said his first order of business was to hire people who had been part of championship teams, because it's they who know what is required. They have the championship mentality, the championship work ethic, and the expectation that you win every game you play. They know what it takes.

As an aside, I'll note that the year after Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl, Northwestern University jumped many spots in the USNWR "best colleges" ranking and became a top-10 ranked school. Was this a mere coincidence? No. The football team gave great publicity to the school, created a lot of goodwill and donations among alumni (one factor USNWR looks at) and inspired a lot of kids to apply to Northwestern, thereby allowing the school to reject a lot of students and increasing its selectivity (a big factor in USNWR rankings).

Northwestern, in my mind, is the prime example of how football can propel a university's academic brand and mission.

You want a championship team? Surround yourself with people who've been there.

RE: Hypothetical Question - MemOwl - 12-05-2015 09:24 AM

I would hire a 2-3 assistants from the Houston HS head coaching ranks. I believe that Holder's high school coach would be an awesome special teams coach. He has sent 4 kids to Rice in the last 10 years and an equal number to the Ivy League. His current team has 10 D1 commits or likely prospects in the junior class.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Tiki Owl - 12-05-2015 10:55 AM

(12-05-2015 09:24 AM)MemOwl Wrote:  I would hire a 2-3 assistants from the Houston HS head coaching ranks. I believe that Holder's high school coach would be an awesome special teams coach. He has sent 4 kids to Rice in the last 10 years and an equal number to the Ivy League. His current team has 10 D1 commits or likely prospects in the junior class.

If you remember that is what Fred did.

Also this article ties in with what Owl69 has been asking for and with his question here. http://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/01/17/Fred-Goldsmith-the-third-football-coach-at-Rice-in/8515601016400/

And another article on Fred's philosophy http://tonydemeo.com/interviews/question-and-answer-with-fred-goldsmith/

On his first staff there was Dave Cope from Cy Creek, Wayne Hooks from Memorial, and Will Taylor as a volunteer asst who was at Memorial and was the person who handled HS coaching relationships.

RE: Hypothetical Question - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-05-2015 11:51 AM

(12-05-2015 10:55 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:24 AM)MemOwl Wrote:  I would hire a 2-3 assistants from the Houston HS head coaching ranks. I believe that Holder's high school coach would be an awesome special teams coach. He has sent 4 kids to Rice in the last 10 years and an equal number to the Ivy League. His current team has 10 D1 commits or likely prospects in the junior class.
If you remember that is what Fred did.
Also this article ties in with what Owl69 has been asking for and with his question here. http://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/01/17/Fred-Goldsmith-the-third-football-coach-at-Rice-in/8515601016400/
And another article on Fred's philosophy http://tonydemeo.com/interviews/question-and-answer-with-fred-goldsmith/
On his first staff there was Dave Cope from Cy Creek, Wayne Hooks from Memorial, and Will Taylor as a volunteer asst who was at Memorial and was the person who handled HS coaching relationships.

Exactly. Fred had a great plan, sold it, and executed it. And we improved tremendously on his watch.