CSNbbs
Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion (/thread-761534.html)

Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - DowdyPirate - 12-04-2015 04:32 PM

I think the ultra agressive move shows Compher believes some moves will be made in the next couple years

Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Pony94 - 12-04-2015 04:37 PM

Ok

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - k-vegasbuc - 12-04-2015 04:39 PM

(12-04-2015 04:32 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  I think the ultra agressive move shows Compher believes some moves will be made in the next couple years

That's a very real possibility. I think most of it though just reflects to the increase in resources the schools like UCF, Memphis, Houston, and others have made in their program. These schools have committed some serious coin and we need to be willing to do the same. We desperately need to improve our press box and add luxury boxes, new locker rooms, etc and we need to have our fanbase and donors enthusiastic to do it.

Judging from the survey sent out a while back about the upgrades our AD definitely thinks big which is what we need to do. We just need to put our money where our mouth is and show that we are as big a program as we like to think we are.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Kittonhead - 12-04-2015 04:40 PM

It's nothing to do with expansion.

It has to do with the 2-3 million dollar P5 level coaches that are populating the conference. ECU doesn't want to get left behind.

I expect ECU will pay the next guy at least as much as Scott Frost if not more because revenue is up.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - pirates4lyfe - 12-04-2015 04:48 PM

The expansion certainly plays a part in the whole scheme of things. Attendance was dropping and money was drying up and that's a big reason this is happening. Along with that the need for upgrades is apparent and the big money donors weren't willing to open up their checkbooks with the way things are going.

RE: Firing Ruff Expansion - Insane_Baboon - 12-04-2015 04:57 PM

(12-04-2015 04:40 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  It's nothing to do with expansion.

It has to do with the 2-3 million dollar P5 level coaches that are populating the conference. ECU doesn't want to get left behind.

I expect ECU will pay the next guy at least as much as Scott Frost if not more because revenue is up.
I agree completely. I think we're seeing the quality of coaching in the conference increase and ECU is realizing they need to do something to keep up.

Herman in Houston, Fuente in Memphis (until recently), Rhule in Temple, and now we've got promising talent in Frost and Norvell. The past few years, we've seen an increasing caliber of coaches and ECU wants to be a part of that.

Ruffin was not a bad coach, but I can't blame ECU for getting swept up in the coaching changes this year. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to pull someone with a really high ceiling like Kendal Briles or Lincoln Riley.

I won't judge them for firing Ruffin until I see who they're able to replace him with.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - firmbizzle - 12-04-2015 05:13 PM

Skip coming back?

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - TforTempleU - 12-04-2015 05:57 PM

Ha....

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Kruciff - 12-04-2015 06:06 PM

What I would be worried about if I were ECU, is that this move seems reactionary rather than proactive. What big name remaining is left to hire? Where exactly are they going to make a splash hire? I think they would have been better served giving Ruff 1 more year, and use that time to test the waters on who may arise next year.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - NBPirate - 12-04-2015 06:09 PM

(12-04-2015 06:06 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  What I would be worried about if I were ECU, is that this move seems reactionary rather than proactive. What big name remaining is left to hire? Where exactly are they going to make a splash hire? I think they would have been better served giving Ruff 1 more year, and use that time to test the waters on who may arise next year.

Next year was setting up to be an 8+ win season. The power brokers have wanted him gone for a while and they wouldn't have been able to justify it after a season like that.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Rasta - 12-04-2015 06:18 PM

You have to go large right now. Schools are investing in their head coaches. This is mostly about asserting yourself. If you're not moving forward you're being left behind. It's also part of a grander statement that the schools in this league aren't going to sit still.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - TheBigEastSucks - 12-04-2015 06:28 PM

(12-04-2015 06:06 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  What I would be worried about if I were ECU, is that this move seems reactionary rather than proactive. What big name remaining is left to hire? Where exactly are they going to make a splash hire? I think they would have been better served giving Ruff 1 more year, and use that time to test the waters on who may arise next year.

Splash hires
1. Butch Davis- will double my donation and even buy basketball season tickets.

2. Jeff brohm- 10% pirate club increase

3. Al golden- 10% increase I begged for him when we hired ruff

4. Gene chizik- 10% increase

Anything else bring ruff back.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Stardust - 12-04-2015 08:43 PM

(12-04-2015 06:18 PM)Rasta Wrote:  You have to go large right now. Schools are investing in their head coaches. This is mostly about asserting yourself. If you're not moving forward you're being left behind. It's also part of a grander statement that the schools in this league aren't going to sit still.

Agree! The rapidly changing college landscape within and outside the AAC definitely played a part in Ruff's dismissal. Time to move forward.

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Kruciff - 12-04-2015 09:00 PM

(12-04-2015 06:28 PM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  

Splash hires
1. Butch Davis- will double my donation and even buy basketball season tickets. - heard is going to be hired as the DC at Miami, under Richt

2. Jeff brohm- 10% pirate club increase - possible, but is also targets for a lot of other jobs

3. Al golden- 10% increase I begged for him when we hired ruff - Meh.

4. Gene chizik- 10% increase - wouldn't even talk to UCF, and he used to coach here!

RE: Firing Ruff Re:Expansion - Fo Shizzle - 12-04-2015 11:06 PM

(12-04-2015 06:28 PM)TheBigEastSucks Wrote:  

Splash hires
1. Butch Davis- will double my donation and even buy basketball season tickets.

2. Jeff brohm- 10% pirate club increase

3. Al golden- 10% increase I begged for him when we hired ruff

4. Gene chizik- 10% increase

If Compher hires a nobody? Im personally going to find him and give him a crotch kick.

Go big or go home. Ill double my PC donation for a good hire.