CSNbbs
Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA (/thread-760877.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Topper59 - 12-01-2015 12:20 PM

67. Western Kentucky
72. Southern Mississippi
77. Marshall
87. Florida International
t94. Rice
98. Florida Atlantic
105. UAB
107. Louisiana Tech
113. Old Dominion
115. Texas-San Antonio
118. Charlotte
t120. Middle Tennessee State
t120. UTEP
t125. North Texas

Thoughts and/or comments? Looks like my Toppers are doing well. I'll be more excited when we get this class signed, though.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - nastybunch - 12-01-2015 12:31 PM

Well, if you look at Rivals they have Southern Miss as #1. I guess it is who you want to believe.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Saint Greg - 12-01-2015 12:32 PM

Rivals and Scout rankings are usually only accurate for schools that have a rivals or scout writer. Because of that I usually go by 247 for rankings. They have Tech 4th in total points and 2nd in average player rating behind UAB's JUCO class.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - DaSaintFan - 12-01-2015 12:33 PM

We've been there plenty of times in the past, Topper.. we'll get verbal commitments for a top 50-75 class, only to have rankings get changed at the last minute because a guy didn't sign with the SEC, or the player will change his mind just before signing day.

I do think someone during the UNT/UTEP broadcast said something both schools need to do... start looking outside of Texas guys. Hit Florida, hit Louisiana, hit Arkansas. There's talent in the rest of the deep south. But they (according to the announcers) or so dead set on getting Texas talent only, and with so many D1 schools there, they're just getting the bottom of the list of Texas kids.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - mturn017 - 12-01-2015 12:34 PM

(12-01-2015 12:32 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  Rivals and Scout rankings are usually only accurate for schools that have a rivals or scout writer. Because of that I usually go by 247 for rankings. They have Tech 4th in total points and 2nd in average player rating behind UAB's JUCO class.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

Yeah Scout has 7 of the 17 ODU commits listed.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - EagleAttorney - 12-01-2015 12:35 PM

(12-01-2015 12:20 PM)Topper59 Wrote:  67. Western Kentucky
72. Southern Mississippi
77. Marshall
87. Florida International
t94. Rice
98. Florida Atlantic
105. UAB
107. Louisiana Tech
113. Old Dominion
115. Texas-San Antonio
118. Charlotte
t120. Middle Tennessee State
t120. UTEP
t125. North Texas

Thoughts and/or comments? Looks like my Toppers are doing well. I'll be more excited when we get this class signed, though.

Rivals has it listed this way. I have no idea which is better, but I cheer for Southern Miss....so I will use this one. Rivals makes it appear that we have a few schools that are doing well. Whereas Scout makes it appear that we have 2 doing well.

Rank, School, Total 5-star Commits, 4-star Commits, 3-star Commits, Avg Points
#1 #61 Southern Miss 19 0 0 6 2.32 870
#2 #70 FIU 22 0 0 3 2.14 750
#3 #71 Western Kentucky 20 0 0 3 2.16 735
#4 #72 Louisiana Tech 16 0 0 3 2.19 720
#4 #72 UAB 15 0 2 3 2.5 720
#6 #82 Florida Atlantic 13 0 0 4 2.31 585
#6 #82 Marshall 16 0 0 0 2 585
#8 #84 Rice 17 0 0 0 2 570
#9 #96 Middle Tennessee 12 0 0 1 2.08 450
#10#110 Old Dominion 8 0 0 2 2.33 285
#11#116 Texas-San Antonio 6 0 0 0 2 180
#11#116 Charlotte 8 0 0 0 2 180
#13#121 UTEP 4 0 0 0 2 150
#14# North Texas 2 0 0 0 2 45

I would expect WK and USM to fluctuate higher as they have won their divisions.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - dahbeed - 12-01-2015 12:43 PM

(12-01-2015 12:33 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  We've been there plenty of times in the past, Topper.. we'll get verbal commitments for a top 50-75 class, only to have rankings get changed at the last minute because a guy didn't sign with the SEC, or the player will change his mind just before signing day.

I do think someone during the UNT/UTEP broadcast said something both schools need to do... start looking outside of Texas guys. Hit Florida, hit Louisiana, hit Arkansas. There's talent in the rest of the deep south. But they (according to the announcers) or so dead set on getting Texas talent only, and with so many D1 schools there, they're just getting the bottom of the list of Texas kids.

i've heard the same argument used against getting florida kids. that by the time western ky gets one he's been picked over by all the good florida schools then any sec schools.

all i know is that every great team we've had, had some good florida kids on the team. brandon doughty is a florida kid.

i met wr nicholas norris' mom at the fiu game. i asked her how we ended up with him. she said lamar thomas saw him in florida hs championships and let petrino know about him. said petrino called their family the next day. they visited and that was that.

i asked her why he didn't go bigger. she held her hand out to about 5'8 and said too small and grinned. i told her we loved watching him run past big guys and score touchdowns for us.

sometimes we have to take the guys a tad too short but measure their heart. i spent one year of high school in florida before returning to the commonwealth. my high school, lake weir sucked in football. they were still gods. our basketball team had a future pro in frank johnson. won the state tourney. nobody knew they existed. football crazy state.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 12:49 PM

(12-01-2015 12:43 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 12:33 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  We've been there plenty of times in the past, Topper.. we'll get verbal commitments for a top 50-75 class, only to have rankings get changed at the last minute because a guy didn't sign with the SEC, or the player will change his mind just before signing day.

i've heard the same argument used against getting florida kids. that by the time western ky gets one he's been picked over by all the good florida schools then any sec schools.

all i know is that every great team we've had, had some good florida kids on the team. brandon doughty is a florida kid.

i met wr nicholas norris' mom at the fiu game. i asked her how we ended up with him. she said lamar thomas saw him in florida hs championships and let petrino know about him. said petrino called their family the next day. they visited and that was that.

i asked her why he didn't go bigger. she held her hand out to about 5'8 and said too small and grinned. i told her we loved watching him run past big guys and score touchdowns for us.

sometimes we have to take the guys a tad too short but measure their heart. i spent one year of high school in florida before returning to the commonwealth. my high school, lake weir sucked in football. they were still gods. our basketball team had a future pro in frank johnson. won the state tourney. nobody knew they existed. football crazy state.

that's the key to the entire thing.....

that's how you build a team that becomes an empire....

we didn't have 18 consecutive winning seasons with 5 and 4 star boys....

I'll take a shiteload of solid 3/2s all day long and never look back....

it is things like this that make many a southern miss fan laugh at the stat boys.....they don't mean diddly poo once it's game on!

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Pony94 - 12-01-2015 12:56 PM

Here is an interesting site

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2016fbteams/

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - WKUYG - 12-01-2015 01:11 PM

I look at recruiting ranks two years after the fact....

growth after getting in a college program accelerates 3x faster than over 3 to 4 years of hs football. That's why you see so many 6 foot 185 pound turn into all conference players. They might not have the genetics to get to 230 in hs but with hard work, heart and a good SC coach they get as big as that 230 player after a couple years of hard work... a lot of those 230 hs player stays the same from HS.

A lot of these players are only seen (rated) based on one look if that and that's if they are playing on a team with higher ranked players. So heart goes unnoticed by those star people. Where a coach might look at 4 or 5 game films or in person and notice the drive/motor a kid being rated a 2 star has and sees something for the future....

he might see that kid drive through every tackle or not stop till the whistle or get knocked down but get up and chase a play...

raters dont see enough of that

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - SoMs Eagle - 12-01-2015 01:25 PM

(12-01-2015 12:56 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Here is an interesting site

I see what you're doing here but to rank by what some kid says is ludicrous.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - shiftyeagle - 12-01-2015 01:26 PM

None of it means a whole hell of a lot until February.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 01:27 PM

(12-01-2015 01:11 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  I look at recruiting ranks two years after the fact....

growth after getting in a college program accelerates 3x faster than over 3 to 4 years of hs football. That's why you see so many 6 foot 185 pound turn into all conference players. They might not have the genetics to get to 230 in hs but with hard work, heart and a good SC coach they get as big as that 230 player after a couple years of hard work... a lot of those 230 hs player stays the same from HS.

A lot of these players are only seen (rated) based on one look if that and that's if they are playing on a team with higher ranked players. So heart goes unnoticed by those star people. Where a coach might look at 4 or 5 game films or in person and notice the drive/motor a kid being rated a 2 star has and sees something for the future....

he might see that kid drive through every tackle or not stop till the whistle or get knocked down but get up and chase a play...

raters dont see enough of that

that is exactly correct....rating attitude and will to succeed is always overlooked by those guys....

I never get excited about the star rating....hell, the key to last year's class was signing the full compliment.....we had many hose us in '13 at the bell.....

developing depth is a 'must have' for schools like those in cusa....you have no chance w/o that as a minimum....

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Dawgxas - 12-01-2015 01:37 PM

(12-01-2015 01:25 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

It's based on offers not opinions of scout and rival.

"Major recruiting services rank these athletes based upon the opinions of their experts. In contrast, the offer-based approach represents the perceptions of college coaches by quantifying the scholarship offers they’ve extended to each athlete."

1. LSU - But get rid of Miles anyway - according to LSU fans

64. Tech
68. Marshall
78. Southern Miss
79. WKU
81. FAU
90. FIU
95. Rice
99. MTSU

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 01:53 PM

(12-01-2015 01:37 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

"Major recruiting services rank these athletes based upon the opinions of their experts. In contrast, the offer-based approach represents the perceptions of college coaches by quantifying the scholarship offers they’ve extended to each athlete."

64. Tech
68. Marshall
78. Southern Miss
79. WKU
81. FAU
90. FIU
95. Rice
99. MTSU

most schools always offer more than the allowable.....I don't have a clue what this means other than a smaller school getting more interest from a prospect if they are 'high' on this list....maybe I'm missing something....

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - MinerInWisconsin - 12-01-2015 02:05 PM

This is something that UTEP already does, I believe. Kugler's 1st year he signed 18 kids, 5 were outside of Texas including Calif, Penn, Ohio and Wis. His 2nd and 3rd classes were 23 and 22 kids with each class having 9 from out of Texas.

We will find out in his 4th year this coming season if his recruiting philosophy is working. 7-5 last year indicated he was on the right track but 5-7 this year? Lots of injuries but still. He claims the rating services are not a concern to him. He just signs the kids that fit what he wants. So far this year they are all 2 star so UTEP will be at or near the bottom of the rankings.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - BeliefBlazer - 12-01-2015 02:15 PM

(12-01-2015 12:32 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  Rivals and Scout rankings are usually only accurate for schools that have a rivals or scout writer. Because of that I usually go by 247 for rankings. They have Tech 4th in total points and 2nd in average player rating behind UAB's JUCO class.

Yeah, that's why I have been paying attention to 247. Scout and Rivals don't list most of UAB's commits. WKU has rocketed up the rankings there as well.

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - Dawgxas - 12-01-2015 02:18 PM

(12-01-2015 01:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

64. Tech
68. Marshall
78. Southern Miss
79. WKU
81. FAU
90. FIU
95. Rice
99. MTSU

most schools always offer more than the allowable.....I don't have a clue what this means other than a smaller school getting more interest from a prospect if they are 'high' on this list....maybe I'm missing something....

That's true and a recruit could say he has offer from x, y, z and only have an offer from x. Each rating system has flaws

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 02:20 PM

(12-01-2015 02:05 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

This is something that UTEP already does, I believe. Kugler's 1st year he signed 18 kids, 5 were outside of Texas including Calif, Penn, Ohio and Wis. His 2nd and 3rd classes were 23 and 22 kids with each class having 9 from out of Texas.

We will find out in his 4th year this coming season if his recruiting philosophy is working. 7-5 last year indicated he was on the right track but 5-7 this year? Lots of injuries but still. He claims the rating services are not a concern to him. He just signs the kids that fit what he wants. So far this year they are all 2 star so UTEP will be at or near the bottom of the rankings.

that's what you should want your coach to do.....

that's also why the southern miss asshats completely whiffed it hiring elllllllllllloss....his scheme was completely different form fedhat's.....or any other sane person....

you guys are at a disadvantage geographically.....that you cannot do anything about....

that's the cold hard truth of it....

RE: Scout.com current 2016 recruiting rankings for CUSA - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 02:52 PM

(12-01-2015 02:18 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 01:53 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

64. Tech
68. Marshall
78. Southern Miss
79. WKU
81. FAU
90. FIU
95. Rice
99. MTSU

That's true and a recruit could say he has offer from x, y, z and only have an offer from x. Each rating system has flaws

there is no doubt it's a game played by both the school and the recruit....

if I was a coach, I would pay a salary out of my back pocket for someone to study film based on a criteria list and whittle 'em down for me....