CSNbbs
The Great Topper Dropoff - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: The Great Topper Dropoff (/thread-760828.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Great Topper Dropoff - HanselTop - 12-01-2015 09:08 AM

I have read an unbelievable amount of posts that console the fanbases of butthurt fans when their teams lose to WKU. The common belief is to disregard the success of WKU because we will fall to a subpar team next season when Doughty and Brohm are gone. Not only do I see it here, but I also see it on other message boards, the same message, repeatedly, heavily after they lose.

First off, Brohm may not have 2 feet out the door, and if he is...
You will all be talking about coach Helton being hired away this time next year.

Secondly, we are VERY talented at a lot of positions moving into next year including QB. You will all be wondering when Mike White graduates.

I hate to break it to you, but WKU is being built with depth. We will compete again for the east next year, which will be stacked, because MU, MT, and FAU look to be very good.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - Surbadger - 12-01-2015 09:18 AM

(12-01-2015 09:08 AM)HanselTop Wrote:  I have read an unbelievable amount of posts that console the fanbases of butthurt fans when their teams lose to WKU. The common belief is to disregard the success of WKU because we will fall to a subpar team next season when Doughty and Brohm are gone. Not only do I see it here, but I also see it on other message boards, the same message, repeatedly, heavily after they lose.

You will all be talking about coach Helton being hired away this time next year.

Secondly, we are VERY talented at a lot of positions moving into next year including QB. You will all be wondering when Mike White graduates.

I hate to break it to you, but WKU is being built with depth. We will compete again for the east next year, which will be stacked, because MU, MT, and FAU look to be very good.

Get use to it. This is what happens when you are winning. Think back to last year when everyone dismissed Marshall because of an easy schedule and Cato at QB. It will blow over eventually as long as you can prove them wrong.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - ThreeifbyLightning - 12-01-2015 09:22 AM

It's probably because everyone else has had to read an unbelievable amount of self promotion posts about how awesome you guys were in the first year.

I really enjoyed the one about how good you guys have been in the first year a day or two ago when this is actually the second year now, but I digress.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - Jacque - 12-01-2015 09:23 AM

(12-01-2015 09:18 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 09:08 AM)HanselTop Wrote:  I have read an unbelievable amount of posts that console the fanbases of butthurt fans when their teams lose to WKU. The common belief is to disregard the success of WKU because we will fall to a subpar team next season when Doughty and Brohm are gone. Not only do I see it here, but I also see it on other message boards, the same message, repeatedly, heavily after they lose.

Get use to it. This is what happens when you are winning. Think back to last year when everyone dismissed Marshall because of an easy schedule and Cato at QB. It will blow over eventually as long as you can prove them wrong.

What is interesting about your reference to last year and Cato is that the Marshall fans stated that the team was more than just Cato and would still be successful (which you have, however to a lesser degree). Yet Marshall fans are some of the ones who are most aggressively arguing that WKU will tank because Doughty is leaving. WKU is more than just Doughty. Not trying to start a war here, just pointing out the inconsistency of the postings of some.
Of course, if we were all completely rational human beings we wouldn't be football fans who spent so much time on a message board! Haha

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - MTPiKapp - 12-01-2015 09:26 AM

07-coffee3

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - ThreeifbyLightning - 12-01-2015 09:32 AM

For the record, I'm not predicting a so called great dropoff. It's clear that your AD has a solid strategy and has positioned your program well to be viable contenders year in year out.

But you've already won 10 games. Could end up being 11 or even 12. Winning 10 games in a season is hard. It takes a great team. I think most just feel that there is going to be some dropoff - though the amount cant' be known until next year.

Just look how much Marshall struggled offensively with a green QB and an injured running back. They got a decent record this year with a soft schedule and a pretty good defense. You will not have either of those next year with Bama and what looks like may be a surprising but possibly improved Vanderbilt team going forward. It's difficult to imagine the type of improvement on defense that you guys saw this year with key playmakers like Terry, Holt and the UAB transfer Morris who was huge for shoring up your front four. I believe you guys lose something like seven starters on defense.

So with 10+ wins this year a 7 win season next year would be a fairly significant drop off. I'm not even going to try to predict what your final record will be next year but a 10 win season and a conference championship appearance would seem highly unlikely with what Marshall and Middle Tennessee have returning next year.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - DNEagle - 12-01-2015 09:34 AM

I think it is a fallacious thought process. Sure, any team can have a drop-off after an exceptional player (QB in WKU's instance) has graduated an move on; and with the possibility of losing a pretty good and up and coming coach, then the drop-off is even more likely to occur. However, this is where building a solid program and trusting in those protocols softens that drop-off.

WKU has a solid group of returning wide-receivers that have simply lit up the field with nearly every catch. They have an o-line that should remain intact, barring any off-season defections. Wales and Firby will be running behind that line and I'm sure that any new QB can come in and perform admirably with those weapons around him and should be enough to shoulder a young defense, until they can find their own footing.

The key, however, is Brohm returning and keeping that staff mostly intact.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - THUNDERStruck73 - 12-01-2015 09:35 AM

(12-01-2015 09:32 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  For the record, I'm not predicting a so called great dropoff. It's clear that your AD has a solid strategy and has positioned your program well to be viable contenders year in year out.

But you've already won 10 games. Could end up being 11 or even 12. Winning 10 games in a season is hard. It takes a great team. I think most just feel that there is going to be some dropoff - though the amount cant' be known until next year.

Just look how much Marshall struggled offensively with a green QB and an injured running back. They got a decent record this year with a soft schedule and a pretty good defense. You will not have either of those next year with Bama and what looks like may be a surprising but possibly improved Vanderbilt team going forward. It's difficult to imagine the type of improvement on defense that you guys saw this year with key playmakers like Terry, Holt and the UAB transfer Morris who was huge for shoring up your front four. I believe you guys lose something like seven if your starters on defense.

So with 10+ wins this year a 7 win season next year would be a fairly significant drop off. I'm not even going to try to predict what your final record will be next year but a 10 win season and a conference championship appearance would seem highly unlikely with what Marshall and Middle Tennessee have returning next year.

Good post! +2

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - SVHerd - 12-01-2015 09:36 AM

I think MT and WKU will be very good again next year. USM may win the league. My Herd, well we have issues and need to fix some depth problems to be competitive. We'll see. WKU may have an issue on D next year losing all those starters but I expect your offense to keep moving along.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - ThreeifbyLightning - 12-01-2015 09:40 AM

wkcc should have the best OL in the league next year. Just line up in the I-formation and give it to Allen and Wales and throw a few WR screens and the offense should be ok.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - nastybunch - 12-01-2015 09:44 AM

I'll be quite honest, what you will do next year doesn't concern me at all. What I am looking forward to is this Saturday. By the way, I hope all our conference teams are better next year. We need it.....

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - Theflash - 12-01-2015 09:47 AM

Offensively, we should be a little different. Maybe a little more reliant on the run game, with the whole o line and rb's back.
Defensively, we are losing 2 corners, 2 linebackers, and 4 or 5 d linemen.
Hopefully, the luxury of some of these blowouts this year are some younger players have gotten some opportunities, and they have film of themselves to watch.
Plus, our schedule will be pretty tough next year. Vandy at home, Alabama, MTSU, Marshall, and FAU on the road, as well as west division games.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - ARandomHerdFan - 12-01-2015 09:54 AM

Weren't WKU fans bitching about the amount of Southern Miss threads a few weeks ago?

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - WKUYG - 12-01-2015 10:00 AM

I think where he's going with this is the post that stick out and for the most part it's 5-1...in your team will be crappy, back to the bottom, you lose all your skill players (marshall board still believes this) so they will be back in the crapper as usual. Those out number 5-1 any fan predicting a falloff of just 7 to 8 wins.

Those stickout

When a program had 4 coaches in 7 seasons and still won 7 or more games in 5 of those...it shows foundation
When a team loses 3 coaches and a 4 year starter and wins 8-8-10 and counting....it shows foundation

Anything is possible and losing more than 5 games next year is one of those. But history, even if it's short, shows Western has built their program on a solid foundation of redshirting 15-22 players each year for depth and that helps. Western took some early losses ..0-26 because of lack of depth and losing a ton of those after leading in the 4th qt. Western was building that wide foundation for the future...

we see next year if that continues to pay off...

But I don't think any Western fan is expecting a 10 and counting season but competing for a conference championship and another bowl is a good possibility...

Western has Wales and Ferby back and if Allen chooses to come back he still has a redshirt year. So that is the top 2 or top 3 backs.

All the offensive line returns..other than qb there's not a more important part of the offense and usless you have a great qb (like bd) the offensive line is the most important position.

Western actually has all but 1 of the two deep on the offensive line returning.

Western has two of our top three I personally think 1-3 returning along with some speed receivers that sitout this year.

Mike White might not be a BD at qb...but he will have a experience offense to play with. I personally think what makes BD so good is his EYES...he sees the field very well even under pressure. Next but probably most important is decision making. Two keys NO ONE knows if Mike White has.

Defense will be hit and some important players replaced

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - CincyDave - 12-01-2015 10:52 AM

I thought this was going to be about our basketball program

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - goliath74 - 12-01-2015 11:11 AM

It's natural. Look at USM - they were good, then they were bad, now they are good again. Look at Marshall - they were all over the place in the previous decades. Very few college football teams can maintain being at the top. Certainly none of the C-USA teams...

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - DNEagle - 12-01-2015 11:32 AM

(12-01-2015 11:11 AM)goliath74 Wrote:  It's natural. Look at USM - they were good, then they were bad, now they are good again. Look at Marshall - they were all over the place in the previous decades. Very few college football teams can maintain being at the top. Certainly none of the C-USA teams...

USM is not a good reference to make your point. Your "then they were bad" had much to do about an inept administration making a series of horrible decisions, more than it did about losing a coach and a multi-year starter at QB.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - stinkfist - 12-01-2015 11:38 AM

(12-01-2015 09:34 AM)DNEagle Wrote:  I think it is a fallacious thought process. Sure, any team can have a drop-off after an exceptional player (QB in WKU's instance) has graduated an move on; and with the possibility of losing a pretty good and up and coming coach, then the drop-off is even more likely to occur. However, this is where building a solid program and trusting in those protocols softens that drop-off.

WKU has a solid group of returning wide-receivers that have simply lit up the field with nearly every catch. They have an o-line that should remain intact, barring any off-season defections. Wales and Firby will be running behind that line and I'm sure that any new QB can come in and perform admirably with those weapons around him and should be enough to shoulder a young defense, until they can find their own footing.

The key, however, is Brohm returning and keeping that staff mostly intact.

I'm not disagreeing, but doughty puts it on their hands almost every time.....that guy is really good.....I watched him last year for the first time and knew then he would get a shot at sunday ball....and he's only gotten better....

if they lose brohm too, next year could be painful for topper fans...

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - DNEagle - 12-01-2015 11:47 AM

(12-01-2015 11:38 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  I'm not disagreeing, but doughty puts it on their hands almost every time.....that guy is really good.....I watched him last year for the first time and knew then he would get a shot at sunday ball....and he's only gotten better....

if they lose brohm too, next year could be painful for topper fans...

I share your sentiment to a large degree as well. I think the fallacy in the predicted WKU's drop-off is that some expect them to completely go into the tank.

I think they will remain competitive next year and with the right breaks, may find themselves in contention for the east division...

In addition, I think they have a solidly built program, and unless they do something foolish and upset that foundation (ala USM 2011-2012) then they should continue to be successful.

But Brohm, or at the least, retaining a good portion of that staff if he leaves, will have to be part of that equation.

RE: The Great Topper Dropoff - MU ATO - 12-01-2015 12:09 PM

"The Great Topper Dropoff".... Drop off from what? One good season where WKU hasn't even won the championship yet??? I don't get the comments either. WKU is talented but it's not like WKU has been gong to and winning conf championships for awhile now. Great single year though no doubt.