CSNbbs
Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th / UNC's playoff chances thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th / UNC's playoff chances thread (/thread-760449.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th / UNC's playoff chances thread - Maize - 11-29-2015 02:02 PM

Now the question is what will they be in the CFP...And if they can jump into the Top 4 if they upset Clemson:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25393910/coaches-poll----week-13-the-big-ten-places-3-teams-in-the-top-6

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - XLance - 11-29-2015 02:13 PM

Striking distance.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ken d - 11-29-2015 02:28 PM

(11-29-2015 02:02 PM)Maize Wrote:  Now the question is what will they be in the CFP...And if they can jump into the Top 4 if they upset Clemson:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25393910/coaches-poll----week-13-the-big-ten-places-3-teams-in-the-top-6

Do you think they would be ahead of a 2 loss Notre Dame or Stanford? I have my doubts.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - CollegeCard - 11-29-2015 02:34 PM

While UNC moved up from 11th to 8th, Stanford jumped them, moving from 12th to 7th. I assume if UNC beat Clemson, they'd jump the Cardinal, even with a Stanford win over USC.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - jaminandjachin - 11-29-2015 02:36 PM

If UNC beats Clemson they would jump Stanford, Ohio State, the Big 10 CG loser, and potentially Clemson.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ecuacc4ever - 11-29-2015 02:48 PM

Since the coaches poll has no bearing on anything...

No, North Carolina is not getting into the CFP Final Four, even with a win over Clemson on Saturday. Such a win would produce something like this:

Alabama
(because there's NO WAY they are losing to Florida)

Oklahoma
(as we all said last year, if Oklahoma or Texas wins the Big 12, they're gonna be in 9 times out of 10)

Iowa/Michigan State winner
(can't deny an undefeated B1G champion in Iowa, and Michigan State's SOS will be through the roof with wins at both Michigan and Ohio State if they win)

Now, this is were it gets interesting for North Carolina fans since Stanford will likely be in this week's top 6...

If Stanford wins the PAC-12, they have a win over Notre Dame, USC, and they'd likely be ranked higher.
If Stanford loses...

Would the "Committee" (and TV) salivate at the possibility of having Ohio State defending its championship?

So, unless North Carolina pitches the unlikeliest of unlikely shutouts on Clemson, they won't be able to overtake the schools in front of them... unless the Committee is REALLY committed to favoring "Conference Champions"...

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - jaminandjachin - 11-29-2015 02:53 PM

So the committee would deny a 12-1 UNC team with a win over Clemson vs an 11-1 Ohio State team whose best win is Michigan?

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - Maize - 11-29-2015 02:56 PM

UNC also 8th in the AP:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25394049/ap-top-25----week-13-oklahoma-vaults-over-iowa-to-the-no-3-ranking

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ecuacc4ever - 11-29-2015 03:08 PM

(11-29-2015 02:53 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  So the committee would deny a 12-1 UNC team with a win over Clemson vs an 11-1 Ohio State team whose best win is Michigan?

I would say, "brace for the possibility".

North Carolina will face an issue similar to what Baylor and TCU faced last season -- "street cred".

I realize you don't want to hear (or read) that, but North Carolina doesn't have the same football "street cred" as Ohio State -- and you know it.

So, the big question here is, how much would the "Committee" weigh an ACC Championship for UNC over Ohio State's higher SOS (and 'street cred' which you won't hear about in the press)...?

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - jaminandjachin - 11-29-2015 03:11 PM

(11-29-2015 03:08 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 02:53 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  So the committee would deny a 12-1 UNC team with a win over Clemson vs an 11-1 Ohio State team whose best win is Michigan?

North Carolina will face an issue similar to what Baylor and TCU faced last season -- "street cred".

I realize you don't want to hear (or read) that, but North Carolina doesn't have the same football "street cred" as Ohio State -- and you know it.

So, the big question here is, how much would the "Committee" weigh an ACC Championship for UNC over Ohio State's higher SOS (and 'street cred' which you won't hear about in the press)...?

The difference between last year and this year is conference titles. The 4 teams that made the playoffs last year all won conference championships. You're now saying the committee would choose a team that not only didn't win their conference but didn't even win their division. Tough sell.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ken d - 11-29-2015 04:13 PM

(11-29-2015 03:11 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

The difference between last year and this year is conference titles. The 4 teams that made the playoffs last year all won conference championships. You're now saying the committee would choose a team that not only didn't win their conference but didn't even win their division. Tough sell.

That's why I only considered PAC 12 champion Stanford and Independent Notre Dame (with only two 2-point losses to Clemson and Stanford). But in that scenario, UNC would have beaten one of the teams that the Irish lost to, so you are really only at risk to get bumped by Stanford, IMO.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - jaminandjachin - 11-29-2015 04:15 PM

(11-29-2015 04:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  

That's why I only considered PAC 12 champion Stanford and Independent Notre Dame (with only two 2-point losses to Clemson and Stanford). But in that scenario, UNC would have beaten one of the teams that the Irish lost to, so you are really only at risk to get bumped by Stanford, IMO.

I thought you were comparing UNC with Ohio State's chances.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ecuacc4ever - 11-29-2015 04:18 PM

(11-29-2015 04:15 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 04:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  

I thought you were comparing UNC with Ohio State's chances.

ken isn't.

I am, though.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ChrisLords - 11-29-2015 04:29 PM

I would expect the committee to punish UNC for having 2 FCS opponents OOC like they punished Baylor and TCU for having weak OOC schedules last year.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - ecuacc4ever - 11-29-2015 04:56 PM

May be a tough sell you sir, but I'll bet my sig line you'll be faced with that scenario if both North Carolina and Southern Cal win next Saturday.

In that scenario, you know good and well ESPN will splash this all over their Sunday and Monday shows:

Ohio State's OOC
VA Tech
Hawaii
Western Michigan
Northern Illinois

North Carolina's OOC
South Carolina (L)
Delaware*
North Carolina A&T*
Illinois

And every pundit is going to wonder "what if North Carolina didn't play 2 FCS OOC games?"

Then, they're going to inspect the loses. For Ohio State, Michigan State is a good loss. For North Carolina, South Carolina was and continues to be a bad loss, and the question will be if an ACC Championship win can offset all of it.

Some of us think (like me) "No", and some of us think otherwise.

That's why it would be easy to see Ohio State get that #4 spot if both North Carolina and Southern Cal win on Saturday.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - jaminandjachin - 11-29-2015 04:59 PM

(11-29-2015 04:56 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

May be a tough sell you sir, but I'll bet my sig line you'll be faced with that scenario if both North Carolina and Southern Cal win next Saturday.

In that scenario, you know good and well ESPN will splash this all over their Sunday and Monday shows:

Ohio State's OOC
VA Tech
Hawaii
Western Michigan
Northern Illinois

North Carolina's OOC
South Carolina (L)
Delaware*
North Carolina A&T*
Illinois

And every pundit is going to wonder "what if North Carolina didn't play 2 FCS OOC games?"

Then, they're going to inspect the loses. For Ohio State, Michigan State is a good loss. For North Carolina, South Carolina was and continues to be a bad loss, and the question will be if an ACC Championship win can offset all of it.

Some of us think (like me) "No", and some of us think otherwise.

That's why it would be easy to see Ohio State get that #4 spot if both North Carolina and Southern Cal win on Saturday.

UNC's bad loss is offset by the best win of the college football season and a much better win than Ohio State's. I'd actually argue that the media and the public would favor us over OSU due to the "story" it would create.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th - Hokie Mark - 11-29-2015 05:40 PM

My guess: if UNC upsets Clemson, the ACC simply doesn't get a playoff spot at all. That S Carolina loss, combined with 2 FCS wins, essentially hamstrings UNC. Add to that the fact that Ohio State will be sitting there in case of a playoff opening and the Tar Heels have basically ZERO shot at the playoffs this year. It is what it is.

If UNC beats Clemson, they should be in the playoffs - rednblackattack - 11-29-2015 06:00 PM

Agreee or disagree? Yes UNC lost to USC, however that was game 1 of the season. OSU lost to Va Tech last year in almost the same scenario. UNC would be deserving IMO. They have been one of the more impressive teams in the country

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th / UNC's playoff chances thread - Ole Blue - 11-29-2015 07:13 PM

My vote is for UNC in the playoff if they beat Clemson. Ideally, Bama will lose either way.

RE: Coaches Poll...UNC jumps to 8th / UNC's playoff chances thread - georgia_tech_swagger - 11-29-2015 07:14 PM

Even if UNC throttles Clemson like Ohio State throttled Wisconsin (HIGHLY UNLIKELY), I still question if they make it. If they do throttle Clemson and don't make it, maybe the conference will collectively get more serious about football since it'd be Tobacco Road getting the shaft for once.