CSNbbs
How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? (/thread-759813.html)

Pages: 1 2

How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - C2__ - 11-25-2015 04:02 PM

I think it'd be much bigger than David Robinson's Elite 8 run in the mid-80's. I don't think anyone thought they'd see the day again of one of the academies playing in such a large stage.

It also begs the question if rather than running modern offenses, some academic strict schools should follow the path of GT and Navy and go with a triple option offense (like Rice under Ken Hatfield).

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - TrojanCampaign - 11-25-2015 04:20 PM

(11-25-2015 04:02 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I think it'd be much bigger than David Robinson's Elite 8 run in the mid-80's. I don't think anyone thought they'd see the day again of one of the academies playing in such a large stage.

It also begs the question if rather than running modern offenses, some academic strict schools should follow the path of GT and Navy and go with a triple option offense (like Rice under Ken Hatfield).

It would be a good draw but nothing more than that. They won't be going to the playoff they will just be going for a consolation bowl game.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - C2__ - 11-25-2015 04:42 PM

Which is still huge. It'd make ABC News for example.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - SuperFlyBCat - 11-25-2015 04:54 PM

It is a pretty big deal if Navy can pull it off.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Kittonhead - 11-25-2015 05:23 PM

BIG

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - MplsBison - 11-25-2015 06:51 PM

The bigger story would be: what is Hawaii prepared to do to get it's prodigal son back home as the Warriors next Head Coach?

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - vandiver49 - 11-25-2015 07:35 PM

(11-25-2015 06:51 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  The bigger story would be: what is Hawaii prepared to do to get it's prodigal son back home as the Warriors next Head Coach?

Nothing. Hawaii isn't that interested in Ken.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - HawaiiMongoose - 11-25-2015 11:58 PM

(11-25-2015 07:35 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(11-25-2015 06:51 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  The bigger story would be: what is Hawaii prepared to do to get it's prodigal son back home as the Warriors next Head Coach?

The fans in Hawaii think highly of Ken Niumatalolo (a former UH quarterback and assistant coach) and are proud of his accomplishments at Navy. But realistically, we know Kenny isn't coming home until his coaching career is over. He is being very well paid and UH can't afford his services.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Kittonhead - 11-26-2015 12:54 AM

(11-25-2015 11:58 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

The fans in Hawaii think highly of Ken Niumatalolo (a former UH quarterback and assistant coach) and are proud of his accomplishments at Navy. But realistically, we know Kenny isn't coming home until his coaching career is over. He is being very well paid and UH can't afford his services.

Hawaii is a great job. Navy is a great job.

Unless Navy takes a dip the next couple of years and Ken is on the hot seat I don't think he considers leaving.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - C2__ - 11-26-2015 12:47 PM

I don't think there's a scenario within the next couple of years that would have him on the hot seat unless the Cadets aren't conducting themselves with class and there's a lack of coaching and institutional control, which would also cost Chet Gladchuk his job (I hope so, the low point in Houston athletics came under his watch).

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - PGEMF - 11-26-2015 01:21 PM

(11-26-2015 12:54 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Unless Navy takes a dip the next couple of years and Ken is on the hot seat I don't think he considers leaving.

Hawaii is a job in a great place.

Football wise, it is one of the worst jobs in the country

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - C2__ - 11-26-2015 03:41 PM

Hawai'i is what you make of it. June Jones was made for that place, I bet they wish he was 20 years younger so they could hire him again.

If there were more schools in shouting distance, it would work but the isolation makes it hard to recruit and play anyone consistently, it's even a challenge to be in a mostly California conference for Olympic sports.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Section 200 - 11-26-2015 04:22 PM

(11-26-2015 01:21 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  
(11-26-2015 12:54 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Hawaii is a job in a great place.

Football wise, it is one of the worst jobs in the country
Agree - recruiting to Hawaii is very tough and games are at midnight East coast time greatly reducing visibility. Every away game is a 4 hour flight minimum. No chance at ever getting in the P5.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - C2__ - 11-26-2015 04:45 PM

Hawai'i could probably do well as an independent if there was a way to make that Hawai'i exemption more lucrative again. And they don't really need an 8-game MWC membership, a 5-game membership, Notre Dame-esque one would suffice. Plus lock in BYU and the academies frequently and they'd have a solid independent schedule. They're one of the few that can negotiate a TV deal.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - DavidSt - 11-26-2015 07:15 PM

If Hawaii-West Oahu which is adding sports, is asking to join the NCAA at D2, mentioned that they would love to start up football. How long could they wait at D2 before moving up to D1? They would make Hawaii a great travel partner in Olympics sports. They could be part of the Big West, and be an affiliate in the Big Sky for football. Than, Hawaii could play H-WO every year as one of their games.

How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Pony94 - 11-26-2015 07:17 PM

Doesn't matter June is back

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - AllPtsBulletin - 11-27-2015 11:02 PM

(11-26-2015 07:17 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Doesn't matter June is back

In the form of Nick Rolovich.

The MWC Board believes someone better would have taken that job with its hurdles.

01-wingedeagle

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - Skinut - 11-28-2015 01:19 AM

How big of a story? Would have been big. Now, sadly - irrelevant.

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 11-28-2015 12:28 PM

No such story happening now!

Thanks Houston!

RE: How big of a story would Navy going to a NY6 Bowl be? - MplsBison - 11-28-2015 03:38 PM

Really? What is his salary at Annapolis and what was Norm's salary?

If so, that's too bad. He's exactly what the Warriors need. Hawaii needs to be a smashing, power football team. Akin to Polynesian Rugby dominance.