CSNbbs
Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? (/thread-758633.html)

Pages: 1 2

Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - northernbear1 - 11-18-2015 11:16 PM

http://csnbbs.com/thread-758593.html

Hmmmm

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - NIUSox10 - 11-18-2015 11:19 PM

Ha funny rumor

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - bikechuck - 11-18-2015 11:43 PM

The state of Illinois is in dire straights and I would not be shocked to see some consolidation. Sure hope it does not happen to the school I love.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - DogPoundNorth - 11-18-2015 11:44 PM

hahah no chance that happens. Please guys.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - NILAW - 11-18-2015 11:45 PM

This is just nonsense!

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - DogPoundNorth - 11-18-2015 11:46 PM

Don't even dignify WMU boat rowers with a thread about this....It's so unbelievably off base I don't even know where to start. Please delete this MODs.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - niu79 - 11-19-2015 12:14 AM

I heard the same rumor last week. Turns out the president of EIU said that if the state budget doesn't get finalized soon that he would not be able to make it through to the end of the year. The other state schools are in the same boat in that they need the state funding to pay all of the bills. Right now every state university is tapping their cash reserves to stay even. The stalemate cannot last forever, but the schools and lottery winners are sitting in the same boat.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - Mark26pt2 - 11-19-2015 09:01 AM

Keep in mind - the State of Illinois only supplies 20% of the total funding for NIU (the rest is tuition and alternate forms of revenue - off campus programs with differential tuition, etc).

As said above - the state will pass a budget at some point. NIU is in ZERO danger of shutting the doors.

They are going through a program prioritization (keep in mind a program is NOT a department). Every administrative office is a program. Snow removal is a program. The Accountancy department has three different programs. Will some programs be reduced after this review? Very likely. Will some programs receive more money after this review? Very likely.

Keep in mind, President Baker has made two commitments about this program review - every currently enrolled student will be able to finish their degree (so programs will need to be phased out over possibly 4 years) and NIU will honor every contract with employees / Professors.

The results of the program prioritization will be made public between May and August.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - Mark26pt2 - 11-19-2015 09:02 AM

(11-19-2015 12:14 AM)niu79 Wrote:  I heard the same rumor last week. Turns out the president of EIU said that if the state budget doesn't get finalized soon that he would not be able to make it through to the end of the year. The other state schools are in the same boat in that they need the state funding to pay all of the bills. Right now every state university is tapping their cash reserves to stay even. The stalemate cannot last forever, but the schools and lottery winners are sitting in the same boat.

Many other state programs are in the same boat. Local grade schools, funding for all state programs. The is just pure and poor politics.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - zdsmith - 11-19-2015 09:04 AM

Bahahahahahaha what a crock.

NIU isn't shutting down. You would've seen it plastered everywhere by now.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - IHateDuke32 - 11-19-2015 09:08 AM

I still have quite a bit left to go to complete my MBA. I take classes at the Hoffman Estates campus. I'd be pretty pissed if the program shut down after the money and time I've invested thus far. Its been a good experience so far

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - DogPoundNorth - 11-19-2015 09:09 AM

(11-19-2015 09:08 AM)IHateDuke32 Wrote:  I still have quite a bit left to go to complete my MBA. I take classes at the Hoffman Estates campus. I'd be pretty pissed if the program shut down after the money and time I've invested thus far. Its been a good experience so far

it's not getting shut down.

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - Mark26pt2 - 11-19-2015 09:09 AM

(11-19-2015 09:08 AM)IHateDuke32 Wrote:  I still have quite a bit left to go to complete my MBA. I take classes at the Hoffman Estates campus. I'd be pretty pissed if the program shut down after the money and time I've invested thus far. Its been a good experience so far

Don't worry - there is NO WAY that NIU is shutting down - go back and read my previous post

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - thehappyhuskie - 11-19-2015 10:34 AM

(11-19-2015 09:01 AM)Mark26pt2 Wrote:  Keep in mind - the State of Illinois only supplies 20% of the total funding for NIU (the rest is tuition and alternate forms of revenue - off campus programs with differential tuition, etc).

As said above - the state will pass a budget at some point. NIU is in ZERO danger of shutting the doors.

They are going through a program prioritization (keep in mind a program is NOT a department). Every administrative office is a program. Snow removal is a program. The Accountancy department has three different programs. Will some programs be reduced after this review? Very likely. Will some programs receive more money after this review? Very likely.

Keep in mind, President Baker has made two commitments about this program review - every currently enrolled student will be able to finish their degree (so programs will need to be phased out over possibly 4 years) and NIU will honor every contract with employees / Professors.

The results of the program prioritization will be made public between May and August.

Exactly. Peters and Baker have had the foresight for years to plan for this. As much as it stinks, we have had two very good presidents when it comes to financial forecasting.

Equally, never believe anything WMU fans say. You have to remember that they also believe they are "elite" and they believe in "row the boat"

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - IHateDuke32 - 11-19-2015 10:35 AM

Crazy how one person says something, the person who hears it spreads it on a message board, and then it blows up haha the internet is a crazy thing

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - HuskieJohn - 11-19-2015 10:46 AM

(11-19-2015 10:35 AM)IHateDuke32 Wrote:  Crazy how one person says something, the person who hears it spreads it on a message board, and then it blows up haha the internet is a crazy thing

[Image: waynes_world_2_22_copains.jpg]

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - zdsmith - 11-19-2015 10:57 AM

Did you hear that Bob Barker died?

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - Mark26pt2 - 11-19-2015 10:59 AM

Did you hear WMU is shutting down over the winter break?

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - niu79 - 11-19-2015 11:07 AM

Alot of this began with comments made by the President at Eastern Illinois. I have attached a story from the EIU student newspaper that discussed some of the rumors that began swirling their last month and the university's response.

http://www.dailyeasternnews.com/2015/10/19/eastern-will-fight-to-stay-open-in-future/

RE: Rumors out of WMU board....NIU to shut down? - northernbear1 - 11-19-2015 11:22 AM

NIU is to big to fail.

In all honestly, I could see schools like EIU or WIU consolidating into one school. However, with NIU being in the region it is in I cannot fathom how NIU could close down. The most populated region in the state would be without a comprehensive university.