CSNbbs
EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities (/thread-757284.html)

Pages: 1 2

EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - emu steve - 11-11-2015 01:36 PM

http://www.emueagles.com/news/2015/11/11/MBB_1111150553.aspx

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Stay Cool - 11-12-2015 02:12 AM

I saw "EMU article on their move" and got super hopeful...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Wadszip - 11-12-2015 02:36 AM

(11-12-2015 02:12 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I saw "EMU article on their move" and got super hopeful...

Low blow coming from an NIU fan. Outside of football, EMU is running laps around NIU in recent overall athletic department success. EMU has finished 100-plus spots higher than NIU in the Director's Cup for the past three years.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Stay Cool - 11-12-2015 02:09 PM

(11-12-2015 02:36 AM)Wadszip Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 02:12 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I saw "EMU article on their move" and got super hopeful...

Low blow coming from an NIU fan. Outside of football, EMU is running laps around NIU in recent overall athletic department success. EMU has finished 100-plus spots higher than NIU in the Director's Cup for the past three years.
And will forever be in UM's shadow. Getting their scraps

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - epasnoopy - 11-12-2015 09:04 PM

Hey, when it comes to student athletes academic success we are #1 in the conference as a whole, including our football program.

Honestly, we just need to get our men's basketball program going. No one is moving conferences because they have strong track programs. Akron is elite when it comes to men's soccer but I see maybe a few threads a year on this board about it. Everyone cares about football, then men's basketball. The rest barely get mentioned.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - DICK - 11-12-2015 09:28 PM

(11-12-2015 09:04 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

Hey, when it comes to student athletes academic success we are #1 in the conference as a whole, including our football program.

Honestly, we just need to get our men's basketball program going. No one is moving conferences because they have strong track programs. Akron is elite when it comes to men's soccer but I see maybe a few threads a year on this board about it. Everyone cares about football, then men's basketball. The rest barely get mentioned.

Hockey is important at Miami, BG, and Western.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - NIUSox10 - 11-12-2015 09:36 PM

And EMU could still compete in all those other sports in Div 1 FCS and have fantastic overall success! Their football program may gain confidence and momentum at that level as well.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - HuronDave - 11-12-2015 11:14 PM

Like clockwork, enter the one-trick pony NIU posters.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Lord Stanley - 11-12-2015 11:40 PM

(11-12-2015 11:14 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  Like clockwork, enter the one-trick pony NIU posters.

There are many NIU posters aware of EMU's value to the MAC.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - BruceMcF - 11-13-2015 12:15 AM

(11-12-2015 09:36 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  And EMU could still compete in all those other sports in Div 1 FCS and have fantastic overall success! Their football program may gain confidence and momentum at that level as well.
Except they achieved that success in the MAC.

And "subsidy sports don't count" is a moot point, since that includes 20+ win seasons in 2013/14 and 2014/15, with three-win and two-win runs in the MAC BBall championship.

... Not to mention 5-1 against the Huskies on the boards in the past three BBall seasons. ...

The more sensible Huskies fans are aware that NIU lost both home and away to EMU in BBall last season, which makes it a particularly bad time for any NIU fans to be talking about EMU dropping out of the MAC. It sounds like a wish for EMU to be replaced by somebody who is easier to beat in BBall in the MAC West.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - HuskieAlumnus03 - 11-13-2015 12:15 AM

(11-12-2015 11:14 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  Like clockwork, enter the one-trick pony NIU posters.

If it makes you feel better, EMU has been to one more NCAA tourney than NIU. Two of NIU's three are the same years as EMU.

NIU has been to where you are, big difference is picking up. The ironic part that bottoming out and part of the reason they left was because the MAC wouldn't kick out EMU.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Wadszip - 11-13-2015 12:33 AM

Why did NIU want EMU out? And what power did they think they had in getting a school that had been in the league for 10 years prior to NIU joining kicked out? Seems like a strange reason to leave the MAC.

On well, NIU leaving probably helped open the door for Akron to get in. So thank you for that.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - HuskieAlumnus03 - 11-13-2015 12:42 AM

(11-13-2015 12:33 AM)Wadszip Wrote:  Why did NIU want EMU out? And what power did they think they had in getting a school that had been in the league for 10 years prior to NIU joining kicked out? Seems like a strange reason to leave the MAC.

On well, NIU leaving probably helped open the door for Akron to get in. So thank you for that.

Because of the NCAA threat to move to move the MAC to FCS because of minimum attendance reqts. NIU didn't have the power, it was they leave or we leave situation. EMU wasn't going to be booted, NIU left. NIU became EMU. NIU has picked up the slack in it's MAC return, and EMU....

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - Wadszip - 11-13-2015 01:17 AM

(11-13-2015 12:42 AM)HuskieAlumnus03 Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 12:33 AM)Wadszip Wrote:  Why did NIU want EMU out? And what power did they think they had in getting a school that had been in the league for 10 years prior to NIU joining kicked out? Seems like a strange reason to leave the MAC.

Because of the NCAA threat to move to move the MAC to FCS because of minimum attendance reqts. NIU didn't have the power, it was they leave or we leave situation. EMU wasn't going to be booted, NIU left. NIU became EMU. NIU has picked up the slack in it's MAC return, and EMU....

And NIU obviously miscalculated. The MAC never went down and NIU came back. So why is there still animosity toward EMU, which, as I've said has been a better overall athletic department than NIU recently?

Seems weird that even with NIU's football renaissance since the return, there is still the ill-will against EMU.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - emu steve - 11-13-2015 10:02 AM

Can I summarize about 4,992 (+/- 1,128 Lol) posts about EMU:

"EMU has a very fine record in athletics except for a persistent problem with its football program."

We've had some ups and down in key sports (e.g., men's basketball which was a real power from 1988 - 1998, but had problem the following decade) but on balance basketball (M/W), T&F (M/W), cross country, swimming, etc. have been strong to very strong, some even dominant.

In the last two academic years EMU has been to the finals (women's hoops), semis (men's hoops), won both men and women's T&F, just won cross country, swimming and diving, etc. The men's S&D coach won his 22nd MAC title earlier this year; EMU has won 32 men's MAC swimming and diving championships, more dominant than the Boston Celtics, New York Yankees, etc.

What's the problem there? "Oh, it's football. I get it." :)

So if someone wants to say we have a football problem say: "EMU has a football problem." Don't say "EMU athletics suck." That would not be a fair categorization at all. Maybe four pinocchios from the fact checkers. Lol.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - sarasotahuskie - 11-13-2015 02:08 PM

(11-12-2015 11:40 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

There are many NIU posters aware of EMU's value to the MAC.
Yes there are.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - northernbear1 - 11-14-2015 11:03 AM

Imagine MAC football without NIU the past 6 years. Now imagine MAC football without EMU the past 20 years.....

EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - axeme - 11-14-2015 11:24 AM

Imagine every other MAC sport without NIU for the last 20 years.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - northernbear1 - 11-14-2015 09:23 PM

(11-14-2015 11:24 AM)axeme Wrote:  Imagine every other MAC sport without NIU for the last 20 years.

They would be in exactly the same place. However, since 2003 NIU has lifted MAC to new heights. Without NIU football the MAC would be 1990 MAC.

RE: EMU Article on Their Move to ESPN3 Capable Facilities - NIUSox10 - 11-14-2015 09:26 PM

(11-14-2015 11:24 AM)axeme Wrote:  Imagine every other MAC sport without NIU for the last 20 years.

Besides mens bball no one notices on a national level