CSNbbs
Playoffs - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Playoffs (/thread-755890.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Playoffs - Tribal - 11-02-2015 04:30 PM

First of all, everyone here knows we have three very important regular season games remaining and we're taking no team lightly.

Should Towson beat Maine, that may be enough to place them in the top 25 heading to W'burg if a couple 18-25 teams lose. If we beat Elon and a ranked TU, I believe we're in no matter what. That would give us a 4-0 record vs ranked opponents going into our game at UR. Win out and we win the CAA Title and probably get a #4 seed. Obviously the goal.

A bracket on the AGS board has Fordham coming to W'burg and the winner playing @ UR. Of course, that's with current standings.

This team is well-balanced, disciplined, and on mission to get where we want to go. Let's finish our Redemption Warpath!

RE: Playoffs - WMTribe90 - 11-02-2015 04:59 PM

I think we are in with a win over Elon. There not that many quality teams that will end up with 7 or more wins. Of course I want us to win out, but I think 7 gets us in as long as JMU wins at least one of there two remaining games.

7 Wins - Close to a playoff lock, no seed, bid for first round game
8 Wins - Playoff lock, possible low seed and first round buy
9 Wins - Conference Champs, seeded in top 5, first round buy

RE: Playoffs - 62Indian - 11-02-2015 05:11 PM

(11-02-2015 04:59 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I think we are in with a win over Elon. There not that many quality teams that will end up with 7 or more wins. Of course I want us to win out, but I think 7 gets us in as long as JMU wins at least one of there two remaining games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like "9" best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Playoffs - TribePride91 - 11-02-2015 06:01 PM

While I agree with the assessment of all 3 posts, this team needs to go get it. Aside from the 4th quarter at Delaware, they have responded with tremendous play and effort all year. If you had told me before the season that we would defeat New Hampshire, Villanova and JMU and be in 2nd place at this point with a chance to win the CAA outright, I certainly would have taken it. I know the team will not even look to senior day against Towson at this point which the right way to prepare. One week at a time. But, the Tribe owes the Spiders so badly. Aside from the glorious win in 2010 to clinch our last CAA championship, they have owned us in the big games in the last 10 years. 2008, 2009, 2013, and 2014 are all times where a loss really hurt us. 3 of those years it cost us a playoff spot. In 2009, it might have cost us a chance to avoid Nova until the championship game and it did cost us a share of the CAA title. 4-0 against the teams that beat us last year is a great goal and one destined for success overall if achieved(no Tech on this year's schedule). We did accomplish this before. 2010, the year of our last CAA Championship. We defeated both Villanova and Richmond that season(who were the only teams to beat us in 2009.

On the earlier post, is the word "buy" a dig at JMU, or a typo(autocorrect) for what should have been bye?

RE: Playoffs - hktribefan - 11-02-2015 06:18 PM

If we can get 9 wins and have a couple things happen to teams ahead of us, a top 4 seed is possible. Best part about #4 and above is not having to play Thanksgiving weekend and then two guaranteed home games. I'll admit, I enjoy having a game to attend over the holiday, but since most people already have plans and students don't come back (when I was there dorms didn't open until Sunday) until after the game it can be one of the most poorly attended games of the year.

RE: Playoffs - Rocco - 11-02-2015 06:28 PM

Playoffs? Playoffs?

RE: Playoffs - wmmii - 11-02-2015 09:16 PM

(11-02-2015 06:18 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  If we can get 9 wins and have a couple things happen to teams ahead of us, a top 4 seed is possible. Best part about #4 and above is not having to play Thanksgiving weekend and then two guaranteed home games. I'll admit, I enjoy having a game to attend over the holiday, but since most people already have plans and students don't come back (when I was there dorms didn't open until Sunday) until after the game it can be one of the most poorly attended games of the year.

The new system give a first round bye to the top 8 seeds but a #4 seed guarantees a home game until the semi-finals. Saturday after Thanksgiving are the bottom 16 teams out of 24 playing and we probably will play if we lose one game but win out and a top 8 seed is a lock.

Playoffs - hktribefan - 11-02-2015 09:23 PM

(11-02-2015 09:16 PM)wmmii Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 06:18 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  If we can get 9 wins and have a couple things happen to teams ahead of us, a top 4 seed is possible. Best part about #4 and above is not having to play Thanksgiving weekend and then two guaranteed home games. I'll admit, I enjoy having a game to attend over the holiday, but since most people already have plans and students don't come back (when I was there dorms didn't open until Sunday) until after the game it can be one of the most poorly attended games of the year.

The new system give a first round bye to the top 8 seeds but a #4 seed guarantees a home game until the semi-finals. Saturday after Thanksgiving are the bottom 16 teams out of 24 playing and we probably will play if we lose one game but win out and a top 8 seed is a lock.

Right, my point being win out and I think top 4 is a possibility. My comment about playing the Saturday after thanksgiving is that although I personally enjoy it, not having to play then with the bye is good given the historically poor attendance of those games.

RE: Playoffs - Tribe1693 - 11-02-2015 09:43 PM

(11-02-2015 06:28 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Playoffs? Playoffs?

https://youtu.be/p3-eavMSBnk

RE: Playoffs - WM Beancounter - 11-03-2015 01:03 PM

Ugh... just quit it with the playoff talk. You're just painting a big target on this board for the JMoo trolls to hit later.

RE: Playoffs - WMtribe17 - 11-03-2015 01:56 PM

(11-02-2015 04:59 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I think we are in with a win over Elon. There not that many quality teams that will end up with 7 or more wins. Of course I want us to win out, but I think 7 gets us in as long as JMU wins at least one of there two remaining games.

+1. The bubble is ridiculously bad this year and I couldn't see W&M getting left out as long as they win 1 of their last 3.

RE: Playoffs - bostonspider - 11-03-2015 04:00 PM

Would be interesting if UR and W&M ended up playing again in the playoffs and with our 126th game moved out of a tie with Wisconsin and Minnesota for 4th most played rivalry..

RE: Playoffs - LeadBolt - 11-03-2015 04:33 PM

(11-03-2015 04:00 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  Would be interesting if UR and W&M ended up playing again in the playoffs and with our 126th game moved out of a tie with Wisconsin and Minnesota for 4th most played rivalry..

Such an august occasion should take place in TX...

RE: Playoffs - WMTRIBE75 - 11-04-2015 10:42 AM

Speaking of Richmond, any path that we take to win the CAA championship must include a win over the Spiders because of the head to head tie breaker. That being the case, it is probably to our benefit that they keep on winning as long as we keep on winning so that we get the chance to knock off as high a rated team as possible on November 21.

RE: Playoffs - LeadBolt - 11-04-2015 01:37 PM

Just win and the rest will take care of itself.

RE: Playoffs - TribePride91 - 11-04-2015 03:52 PM

(11-04-2015 10:42 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  Speaking of Richmond, any path that we take to win the CAA championship must include a win over the Spiders because of the head to head tie breaker. That being the case, it is probably to our benefit that they keep on winning as long as we keep on winning so that we get the chance to knock off as high a rated team as possible on November 21.

I can't pull for the Spiders to even win this weekend. I just can't, even if their losses help New Hampshire and Villanova sneak into the playoffs. For Richmond it doesn't matter what their record is, we are always going to get their best shot anyway. I expect that they will win each of the next two weeks though.

RE: Playoffs - greenandgold75 - 11-04-2015 04:32 PM

(11-04-2015 03:52 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 10:42 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  Speaking of Richmond, any path that we take to win the CAA championship must include a win over the Spiders because of the head to head tie breaker. That being the case, it is probably to our benefit that they keep on winning as long as we keep on winning so that we get the chance to knock off as high a rated team as possible on November 21.

I can't pull for the Spiders to even win this weekend. I just can't, even if their losses help New Hampshire and Villanova sneak into the playoffs. For Richmond it doesn't matter what their record is, we are always going to get their best shot anyway. I expect that they will win each of the next two weeks though.

CAA website reporting today W&M/UR will be televised on CSN, and if I'm reading the JMU board correctly, JMU/Nova was orig planned telecast for that date.

RE: Playoffs - hktribefan - 11-04-2015 04:43 PM

If I remember correct, it was TBD and they were going to pick up one of those two. I'm sure when it was announced at the end of the summer JMU fans assumed with the potential of a Vad Lee vs. John Robertson matchup it would go to them.

RE: Playoffs - Greengoldman - 11-04-2015 04:52 PM

(11-04-2015 04:43 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  If I remember correct, it was TBD and they were going to pick up one of those two. I'm sure when it was announced at the end of the summer JMU fans assumed with the potential of a Vad Lee vs. John Robertson matchup it would go to them.

Yes I remember that it was TBD as well. It makes sense, why not cover the potential conf championship game instead of a game with little meaning. Just shows you how preseason predictions are often way off.

RE: Playoffs - WMTRIBE75 - 11-04-2015 05:01 PM

(11-04-2015 03:52 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  

I understand fully. It would be like asking me to pull for odu because it would help the Tribe. I once went to a game where odu was playing a Russian touring team and sat with the Russian fans!!