CSNbbs
Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC (/thread-755372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - Nebraskafan - 10-30-2015 08:01 AM

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 11h11 hours ago
This is interesting. Georgia Tech’s president spilling the beans that ESPN wants to delay ACC network http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/acc-channel-launch-facing-delay/npBsW/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I’ll say this. Several admins at ACC schools are worried that the Power 5 is really a Power 4 and they’re on the outside. This is a big deal

And that is not me interpreting. The term “Power 4” has been uttered to me by high ranking officials at multiple ACC schools.

B1G will be getting paid and could be over $40 million per school in the next payout. SEC will be up there in that range as well in the next payout. Not sure what the Pac 12 pays out without looking it up (not fresh in the memory). Big 12 isn't that bad when you look at it a per school basis.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - bullet - 10-30-2015 08:16 AM

This is also discussed in the ACC network thread.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - Kittonhead - 10-30-2015 09:35 AM

P5 isn't about how big your TV deal is.

P5 is a legal thing which says you are a 3 vote NCAA conference over a 2 vote NCAA conference like the G5.

School presidents like the ACC over the SEC/B12 for academics.

If the B1G calls that is another story. Ask Maryland about that one.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - bluesox - 10-30-2015 09:48 AM

I think it would take the big 10 jumping to at least 18 and bring in UNC/DUKe combo to land the acc school's it wants, i.e. UVA and UNC. The big 10 going to 3 pods of 6 and 18 works.

West: Neb, Iowa, ILL, NW, WIS, MIN
Central: UM, MSU, IU, Pur, OSU, PSU
East: Rut, Mar, UVA, UNC, Duke, X

X might be G tech, Cuse, or FSU to balance football and bigger market. Yet, if they can pull these school's, 18 might not be enough. The same thing applies to the SEC. I doubt UVa will be joining the SEC but if the big 10 doesn't go for duke, the sec could offer UNC, duke, NC state and V tech to get to 18 and 3 pods of 6. Or maybe ESPN just shuts down the whole thing and moves school's to create three 18 team leagues in the big 10, sec and big 12:

Big 10: UVA, UNC, Duke, Cuse
SEC: Vtech, N state, Clem, Gtech
Big 12: FSU, Miami, Pitt, Lville, BC, ND, Uconn, Cincy
AAC: Wake

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - He1nousOne - 10-30-2015 06:39 PM

(10-30-2015 09:48 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I think it would take the big 10 jumping to at least 18 and bring in UNC/DUKe combo to land the acc school's it wants, i.e. UVA and UNC. The big 10 going to 3 pods of 6 and 18 works.

X might be G tech, Cuse, or FSU to balance football and bigger market. Yet, if they can pull these school's, 18 might not be enough. The same thing applies to the SEC. I doubt UVa will be joining the SEC but if the big 10 doesn't go for duke, the sec could offer UNC, duke, NC state and V tech to get to 18 and 3 pods of 6. Or maybe ESPN just shuts down the whole thing and moves school's to create three 18 team leagues in the big 10, sec and big 12:

We have already seen that UNC faces considerable opposition internally within the baby blue nation in regards to moving to The Big Ten and that cat was already let out of the bag so doing it quietly would be very difficult.

I could see just as easily The Big Ten grabbing Virginia Tech from the ACC and then Missouri cutting loose from the SEC and then stopping at 16 IF there was to be more movement from the ACC. Then UNC, UVA and Duke could all run over to the SEC to get to 16 there. That puts considerable pressure upon a Southern contingent to accept some kind of deal with the big 12 to take six teams from the ACC. That leaves six behind for Notre Dame to form up into their ideal Eastern Block conference and they could pull whomever they wanted from the AAC with no problem whatsoever.

I'm not saying this is happening, just saying it is more likely than The Big Ten going to 18.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - BIgCatonProwl - 10-30-2015 06:53 PM

(10-30-2015 06:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 09:48 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I think it would take the big 10 jumping to at least 18 and bring in UNC/DUKe combo to land the acc school's it wants, i.e. UVA and UNC. The big 10 going to 3 pods of 6 and 18 works.

We have already seen that UNC faces considerable opposition internally within the baby blue nation in regards to moving to The Big Ten and that cat was already let out of the bag so doing it quietly would be very difficult.

I could see just as easily The Big Ten grabbing Virginia Tech from the ACC and then Missouri cutting loose from the SEC and then stopping at 16 IF there was to be more movement from the ACC. Then UNC, UVA and Duke could all run over to the SEC to get to 16 there. That puts considerable pressure upon a Southern contingent to accept some kind of deal with the big 12 to take six teams from the ACC. That leaves six behind for Notre Dame to form up into their ideal Eastern Block conference and they could pull whomever they wanted from the AAC with no problem whatsoever.

I'm not saying this is happening, just saying it is more likely than The Big Ten going to 18.

Delany has publicly stated the B1G wants to go 20 teams.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - jaredf29 - 10-30-2015 06:54 PM

(10-30-2015 06:53 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  

Source?

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - ken d - 10-30-2015 07:04 PM

(10-30-2015 06:53 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  

Have you got a link for that quote? I'm having trouble finding it.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - He1nousOne - 10-30-2015 07:06 PM

I don't have a quote, Delany did say that they have looked over multiple scenarios ranging all the way up to 20 schools. He never said, to my recollection, that they Wanted to get to 20. He just said, and I am paraphrasing, that they had tossed around the idea.

I have shown you all the idea that was tossed around, Frank even used it on his blog after he read it here. Sixteen is better but they would go to 20 if that meant landing North Carolina and then going farther South.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - gosports1 - 10-30-2015 07:20 PM

nothing is going to happen to the ACC. they will remain in the P5

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - XLance - 10-30-2015 09:39 PM

H1,
Va. Tech and Missouri would be great adds for the B1G. But if the SEC gets three from the ACC, instead of Carolina, Dook and UVa, the best the SEC would do is Florida State, Clemson and Louisville. Not because those schools are better, but Carolina, Dook and UVa would probable join Notre Dame to form that Eastern Block conference with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and NC State. That's a pretty solid group of 11. BTW, I don't believe that the State Legislature/BOG would allow Carolina to separate from NC State.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - bullet - 10-30-2015 09:44 PM

(10-30-2015 07:06 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't have a quote, Delany did say that they have looked over multiple scenarios ranging all the way up to 20 schools. He never said, to my recollection, that they Wanted to get to 20. He just said, and I am paraphrasing, that they had tossed around the idea.

I have shown you all the idea that was tossed around, Frank even used it on his blog after he read it here. Sixteen is better but they would go to 20 if that meant landing North Carolina and then going farther South.

Yes, they looked at it. They didn't necessarily say they wanted to. I remember both the Michigan and Michigan St. ADs commenting about Delany discussing it. Think both of them said something to the effect that they would consider it but thought 16 was probably the limit.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - CardinalJim - 10-30-2015 10:04 PM

It will simply take something more than money to get ACC programs to join The Big Ten. Aside from Syracuse, and perhaps Pitt, no school in The ACC would fit culturally into The Big Ten. I know the Death to The ACC contingent here doesn't want to hear that but like Notre Dame, ACC schools want no part of The Big Ten. I'll say it again. If any ACC program would have shown interest when Delaney added Maryland and Rutgers, they would have got an invite.

When the ACC announced its GOR on 4/22/13, Delaney was visibility pissed at a hastily called press conference. He can want 20 teams but if he can't sell his conference to ACC programs it won't happen.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - gosports1 - 10-30-2015 10:07 PM

(10-30-2015 09:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  

H1,
Va. Tech and Missouri would be great adds for the B1G. But if the SEC gets three from the ACC, instead of Carolina, Dook and UVa, the best the SEC would do is Florida State, Clemson and Louisville. Not because those schools are better, but Carolina, Dook and UVa would probable join Notre Dame to form that Eastern Block conference with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and NC State. That's a pretty solid group of 11. BTW, I don't believe that the State Legislature/BOG would allow Carolina to separate from NC State.

and they would call that Eastern block conference the ACC and maybe add Uconn or Cincy

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - XLance - 10-30-2015 10:13 PM

(10-30-2015 10:07 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  

H1,

and they would call that Eastern block conference the ACC and maybe add Uconn or Cincy

UConn had better have a lot of friends in South Bend that are willing to go to bat for them, otherwise they have no chance.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - gosports1 - 10-30-2015 10:19 PM

(10-30-2015 10:13 PM)XLance Wrote:  

H1,

UConn had better have a lot of friends in South Bend that are willing to go to bat for them, otherwise they have no chance.

even with fb centric clemson and fsu gone? I thought Unc duke among others were more open to uconn for their BB and other sports not called fb

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - XLance - 10-30-2015 10:23 PM

(10-30-2015 10:19 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 06:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  We have already seen that UNC faces considerable opposition internally within the baby blue nation in regards to moving to The Big Ten and that cat was already let out of the bag so doing it quietly would be very difficult.

H1,

even with fb centric clemson and fsu gone? I thought Unc duke among others were more open to uconn for their BB and other sports not called fb

Lawsuit. UConn shot themselves in the foot and in the South we tend to have long memories and are known to hold a grudge.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - PirateMarv - 10-30-2015 10:33 PM

(10-30-2015 07:20 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  nothing is going to happen to the ACC. they will remain in the P5

LOL. You are a fan of a Big East school. You know how these things happen.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - shizzle787 - 10-30-2015 10:50 PM

(10-30-2015 10:23 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 10:19 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 09:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  H1,

Lawsuit. UConn shot themselves in the foot and in the South we tend to have long memories and are known to hold a grudge.
The beef between UConn and BC appears to be over as they have agreed to two home and home series in the near future.

RE: Some interesting Tweets from Dan Wolken about the ACC - shizzle787 - 10-30-2015 10:51 PM

Let's face it: if each of the P5 conferences have an undefeated champion at the end of the year, the ACC champ will be the one left out.