CSNbbs
How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? (/thread-755286.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - DaSaintFan - 10-29-2015 01:44 PM

Just curious.. as I haven't seent a lot of ACA/Obamacare stuff lately.

Saw this story today and surprised it hadn't hit the boards:

Investors Business Daily reports on the huge increase in Mississippi:

In what is considered pretty much the poorest state in the nation..

Quote:For 30-year-olds in Yazoo City earning about $25,000 (214% of the poverty level), the after-subsidy cost of the cheapest bronze plan will spike by $554, or 60%, in 2016.

That will hike the cost of this $6,800-deductible plan — the cheapest way to avoid paying a $695 mandate tax — to just under $1,500.

.... The per-person penalty due last April for going uninsured in 2014 was just $95, or 1% of taxable income.

But don’t be surprised to hear some screaming when people find out during the coming ObamaCare enrollment period just how unattractive their options are for avoiding a hefty $695 tax penalty for failing to buy coverage in 2016.

Hot air didn't like to the story (but i figured I'd put it in here)

Somebody wanna explain the math again.. to see if they can explain this one? I mean I thought this was supposed to help the poor (or does 200% under the poverty line not count as poor?)

[Image: ObamaCarePoll90_102815_1K_345.jpg.cms]

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - stinkfist - 10-29-2015 02:01 PM

I just tell 'em, "there's always the ER"

it's truly an obamanation [sic for suc]

*it's shite like this that bred the post you responded to on the cusa.....it's becoming exponentially difficult to handle all the stupid shite

I guess I'm just getting old and logic just wales in the wind....

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - ECUGrad07 - 10-29-2015 02:38 PM

The company I work for has just informed us that we are no longer being allowed to enroll in a PPO plan for 2016. We now are being forced to enroll in an extremely high-deductible CDHP, and my premiums are going up 25%.

So, now, with our first child on the way, my wife and I will face the full brunt of the hospital delivery fee, and because she's high-risk, we will be charged about $900 per ultrasound which will be needed weekly.

So... I get to pay 25% more out of my check every 2 weeks, and I get to pay an astronomically high deductible, followed by 50% co-insurance after that is met. But not to worry, we're made of money......

Thanks a lot, Obama. Really sticking it to hard-working, middle-class Americans like myself.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - stinkfist - 10-29-2015 02:49 PM

(10-29-2015 02:38 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The company I work for has just informed us that we are no longer being allowed to enroll in a PPO plan for 2016. We now are being forced to enroll in an extremely high-deductible CDHP, and my premiums are going up 25%.

So, now, with our first child on the way, my wife and I will face the full brunt of the hospital delivery fee, and because she's high-risk, we will be charged about $900 per ultrasound which will be needed weekly.

So... I get to pay 25% more out of my check every 2 weeks, and I get to pay an astronomically high deductible, followed by 50% co-insurance after that is met. But not to worry, we're made of money......

Thanks a lot, Obama. Really sticking it to hard-working, middle-class Americans like myself.

it's just depressing to hear real life stories like this......

I don't know how to fight it other than what I've stated in the past....stop paying income taxes....

it would blow peoples mind how shite would fix itself.....or we just start shooting each other.....I'm bettin' on the former....the latter is a already happening.....

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - VA49er - 10-29-2015 02:59 PM

Doing my annual enrollment this week. It isn't pretty.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - JMUDunk - 10-29-2015 03:00 PM

(10-29-2015 02:38 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The company I work for has just informed us that we are no longer being allowed to enroll in a PPO plan for 2016. We now are being forced to enroll in an extremely high-deductible CDHP, and my premiums are going up 25%.

Careful. Tom the Red will come on here and find your "story", "very interesting".

25% for me too, for the second time in a year. This time last year 24.8%, the year prior, cancelled policy, open enrollment letter here on my desk announces another 25% for calendar year '16.

Good stuff. From a "Cadillac", I guess what they'd call a "Platinum" plan that I paid dearly into for a decade and a half or more, to this crap. In a short 28 months or so. All because I guess we should be punished for being moderately successful.

Forget the fact I started this in a spare bedroom with about 900 bucks in the bank, and an idea. I guess I didn't build that.

Best of luck to your wife and child on the way, exciting times.

Too bad this unnecessary schit has to overshadow this period in your life.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - DaSaintFan - 10-29-2015 03:10 PM

(10-29-2015 02:59 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Doing my annual enrollment this week. It isn't pretty.

My wife's company started ours this week as well... the company actually stepped up to put a starting $250 in everyone's HSA's... its' not much, but they basically told the employees that's "the best they could do at this point to help out" employees with this "clusterf---". Cause they know _nobody_ is happy with this mess right now in her company.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - ECUGrad07 - 10-29-2015 03:10 PM

(10-29-2015 03:00 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Careful. Tom the Red will come on here and find your "story", "very interesting".

25% for me too, for the second time in a year. This time last year 24.8%, the year prior, cancelled policy, open enrollment letter here on my desk announces another 25% for calendar year '16.

Good stuff. From a "Cadillac", I guess what they'd call a "Platinum" plan that I paid dearly into for a decade and a half or more, to this crap. In a short 28 months or so. All because I guess we should be punished for being moderately successful.

Forget the fact I started this in a spare bedroom with about 900 bucks in the bank, and an idea. I guess I didn't build that.

Thanks for the kind words. 04-cheers We are extremely excited to welcome our little boy into the world in March. We're just wondering how we're going to pay the hospital bills now that Obamacare has officially screwed us. Honestly, I thought we'd somehow be immune from this disaster.

But we're not afraid to work hard. I'm picking up a part-time job to supplement the income earned from my full-time job. My wife is working part-time in a telecommute position while pregnant. We'll make it. I just wish that our government would get the hell out of the way of hard-working families and let us breathe.

I'm tired of paying for everybody else. I'm tired of "fairness" at our expense.

This isn't the America we were promised growing up. And now that we are bringing another life into this world, and have to think about someone's well-being other than our own, it makes elections and issues like these that much more important. We simply CAN'T afford another liberal in the White House.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - VA49er - 10-29-2015 03:12 PM

(10-29-2015 03:10 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 02:59 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Doing my annual enrollment this week. It isn't pretty.

My wife's company started ours this week as well... the company actually stepped up to put a starting $250 in everyone's HSA's... its' not much, but they basically told the employees that's "the best they could do at this point to help out" employees with this "clusterf---". Cause they know _nobody_ is happy with this mess right now in her company.

After I looked into it more this week, my premium increased 11% and that's BEFORE any Cadillac tax is calculated which will come later I guess.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:25 PM

You do know that this has nothing at all to do with the ACA or Obama don't you? Your complaint should be with your employer no longer wanting to foot as much of the bill for your health insurance.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - stinkfist - 10-29-2015 03:32 PM

(10-29-2015 03:10 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

Thanks for the kind words. 04-cheers We are extremely excited to welcome our little boy into the world in March. We're just wondering how we're going to pay the hospital bills now that Obamacare has officially screwed us. Honestly, I thought we'd somehow be immune from this disaster.

But we're not afraid to work hard. I'm picking up a part-time job to supplement the income earned from my full-time job. My wife is working part-time in a telecommute position while pregnant. We'll make it. I just wish that our government would get the hell out of the way of hard-working families and let us breathe.

I'm tired of paying for everybody else. I'm tired of "fairness" at our expense.

This isn't the America we were promised growing up. And now that we are bringing another life into this world, and have to think about someone's well-being other than our own, it makes elections and issues like these that much more important. We simply CAN'T afford another liberal in the White House.

now you understand why you should vote red regardless unless a third option becomes viable....not that you didn't already know this, but I had to say it for dems udders...

it's also why so many dems don't work.....the incentive is gone....bye-bye....nice knowin' ya...

until we get systems in place that create incentive for fat arses to get off their arse????.....this is what ya git.....and it fuxxors all of us....

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:32 PM

(10-29-2015 03:10 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

We're just wondering how we're going to pay the hospital bills now that Obamacare has officially screwed us. Honestly, I thought we'd somehow be immune from this disaster.

Just talk to your hospital. They'll more than likely put you on a modest payment plan. At our hospital, we filled out financial records and they wrote off a huge chunk of our bill and let us pay the rest in monthly payments.

And talk to your HR department. Your gripe is not with the ACA but with your employer and what they now choose to pay to insure you.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - ECUGrad07 - 10-29-2015 03:33 PM

(10-29-2015 03:25 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

You do know that this has nothing at all to do with the ACA or Obama don't you? Your complaint should be with your employer no longer wanting to foot as much of the bill for your health insurance.

Simple economics, Tom. Businesses pass along increased costs to the consumer and to their employees. Without doing that, the business would not be able to sustain itself. I'm irritated with my company, sure. But they wouldn't have been put in this situation if not for Obama and the ACA.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - stinkfist - 10-29-2015 03:33 PM

right on cue....

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:35 PM

I have an employer plan as well. In addition to once again providing $300 to my HSA if I get annual blood work and fill out a survey, my costs are set to increase only 2-3%.

Again, the ACA has next to no direct impact on employer provided plans.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:36 PM

(10-29-2015 03:33 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

Simple economics, Tom. Businesses pass along increased costs to the consumer and to their employees. Without doing that, the business would not be able to sustain itself. I'm irritated with my company, sure. But they wouldn't have been put in this situation if not for Obama and the ACA.

Do you know that for certain? I'm pretty sure your employer has to provide for you what they paid on your behalf for your insurance. You need to compare these figures between the two years to know for sure. Then you can see how much your overall insurance costs increased and how much your company decided to pay of it.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - DaSaintFan - 10-29-2015 03:37 PM

Tom, in the same hotair posting, they posted that Utah will no longer have a health-care co-op available to them, and they specifically identify Obamacare as the reason...

Quote:Arches, the only co-op health plan in Utah, began offering insurance through the Affordable Care Act in fall 2013, beginning coverage in January 2014. The nonprofit group says it’s ceasing operations because of a lack of funding from the federal “risk corridor” program, which was built into the Affordable Care Act and intended to protect insurance companies from their losses.

And we've seen the Democrats want the govt to control pharmaceutical companies now too (I'm paraphrasing from the last Democratic Debate)... welcome to America, where if you get sick, it's just cheaper to get in bed and eat chicken soup, no matter what you've got, I guess.

Quote:Again, the ACA has next to no direct impact on employer provided plans.

You really believe that part?

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:38 PM

(10-29-2015 03:33 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

right on cue....

Sorry, I deal in truths. I used to blame Bush for high gas prices when he was in office. I decided to educate myself. I'd advise the same.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - DefCONNOne - 10-29-2015 03:39 PM

(10-29-2015 03:38 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 03:33 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

right on cue....

Sorry, I deal in truths. I used to blame Bush for high gas prices when he was in office. I decided to educate myself. I'd advise the same.

YOUR truth, not the truth.

RE: How's that Affordable Care Act going for you now? - Redwingtom - 10-29-2015 03:40 PM

(10-29-2015 03:37 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Tom, in the same hotair posting, they posted that Utah will no longer have a health-care co-op available to them, and they specifically identify Obamacare as the reason...

Quote:Arches, the only co-op health plan in Utah, began offering insurance through the Affordable Care Act in fall 2013, beginning coverage in January 2014. The nonprofit group says it’s ceasing operations because of a lack of funding from the federal “risk corridor” program, which was built into the Affordable Care Act and intended to protect insurance companies from their losses.

And we've seen the Democrats want the govt to control pharmaceutical companies now too (I'm paraphrasing from the last Democratic Debate)... welcome to America, where if you get sick, it's just cheaper to get in bed and eat chicken soup, no matter what you've got, I guess.

Quote:Again, the ACA has next to no direct impact on employer provided plans.

You really believe that part?

Co-Ops are a different animal...and have nothing to do with employer provided plans.