CSNbbs
Memphis playoff hopes - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Memphis playoff hopes (/thread-754941.html)

Pages: 1 2

Memphis playoff hopes - Nirvana1988 - 10-26-2015 09:23 PM

Memphis needs to pray for all this happen: 
Lsu beats Bama, but Loses to Ole Miss
Ole Miss runs the table from here on out
Temple beats Notre Dame
Florida State beats Clemson but losses to Florida
Notre Dame beats Stanford
Stanford beats Utah in the conference title game
Temple and Houston only lose to Memphis
Baylor, Ok, Ok state and TCU beat each other
Ole Miss wins the SEC against Florida
Also it doesn't hurts if Bowling Green is Toledo only lose.
Oh, and of course win the rest of your games.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Bluebeard - 10-26-2015 09:33 PM

We need almost all of the "in crowd" to wind up with 2 losses.

Clemson needs to lose to FSU and lose to one of the weaker teams left on their schedule. (Clemson with only a loss to FSU...."they" will choose them over an undefeated Memphis)

FSU needs to lose again. ("They" will pick a 1 loss FSU over an undefeated Memphis)

Stanford needs to lose again. ("They" will pick a 1 loss Stanford over an undefeated Memphis)

Baylor and TCU need to lose twice. Oklahoma needs to lose another game. OK St still needs to lose 2. (see above)

Short of all that happening, I don't trust "voters" to put us ahead of any of them.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - tigernole79 - 10-26-2015 09:51 PM

What a crazy year- I find myself rooting for ole miss, ut and U$C....
If U$C wins the PAC12, ole miss wins the $EC and Notre Dame has another loss, I would LOVE to see them spin putting one of those in ahead of us.

Bigger things to happen for us. Big win over Navy and Houston, close win over Temple regular season (keep them ranked higher) then stomp them in the AAC Championship Game!!

Icing on the cake is if we somehow kept the Big12 out of the playoff!!!

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Sundanceuiuc - 10-26-2015 09:54 PM

I don't think we need all of that to happen, but a lot of it has to happen.

Key thing is we need to keep winning games.

As far as I am concerned, a 14-0 Memphis is national champs in my mind whatever happens.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Chi-TownTiger - 10-26-2015 09:55 PM

We could be undefeated an the rest of the country could have two losses and we still won't get in. The predominant group of New Yorkers who dominate the film and television industry will make sure we don't get a seat at the grownups table.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - dannyb73 - 10-26-2015 09:59 PM

Our playoff hopes are slim and none and slim just left town.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Sundanceuiuc - 10-26-2015 10:02 PM

(10-26-2015 09:55 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  We could be undefeated an the rest of the country could have two losses and we still won't get in. The predominant group of New Yorkers who dominate the film and television industry will make sure we don't get a seat at the grownups table.

We get to 13-0 and there are 3 or fewer (a) P5 champs <2 losses + (b) SEC West teams not named Ole Miss with <2 losses, we're getting in if I have to personally kick every TV executive in the balls.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Bluebeard - 10-26-2015 10:03 PM

(10-26-2015 09:54 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I don't think we need all of that to happen, but a lot of it has to happen.

As far as I am concerned, a 14-0 Memphis is national champs in my mind whatever happens.

I like the way you think!

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Sundanceuiuc - 10-26-2015 10:03 PM

Still worried about going 13-0. Navy is really good, Temple is great, and Houston has a TecmoBowl version of Cunningham at QB.

I think if the tigers win out, it's a conversation, but I think it might be very hard to win out...

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Sundanceuiuc - 10-26-2015 10:05 PM

(10-26-2015 10:03 PM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 09:54 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I don't think we need all of that to happen, but a lot of it has to happen.

1998 National Champs, the Tulane Green Wave
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tulane_Green_Wave_football_team

If UTk doesn't like it, they can round up their alums and go play Tulane. No one beat Tulane, so I don't think UTk gets it legit.

Undefeated teams not playing for a title is BS.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Chi-TownTiger - 10-26-2015 10:07 PM

(10-26-2015 10:02 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 09:55 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  We could be undefeated an the rest of the country could have two losses and we still won't get in. The predominant group of New Yorkers who dominate the film and television industry will make sure we don't get a seat at the grownups table.

We get to 13-0 and there are 3 or fewer (a) P5 champs <2 losses + (b) SEC West teams not named Ole Miss with <2 losses, we're getting in if I have to personally kick every TV executive in the balls.

Start Kickin'. 04-cheers

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - Herff Tiger - 10-26-2015 10:41 PM

It's not TV executives, it's the playoff committee, whose task is to pick the best 4 teams in the country, as they see it. (Sure, the TV execs may try to pressure them behind the scenes for ratings purposes.)

The playoff committee is not going to be able to say we are one of the 4 because we didn't play as tough a schedule as the big names. Even if all the big names have 2 losses, several of them will only have lost to other highly ranked teams. If Bowling Green can get ranked, we will have played 4 ranked teams, but all of them in the upper half of the Top25. That's the best we can do; I don't think Cincy can get ranked. It will require 3 losses for the big names for us to be seriously in the mix.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - geosnooker2000 - 10-26-2015 11:24 PM

(10-26-2015 10:03 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  Still worried about going 13-0. Navy is really good, Temple is great, and Houston has a TecmoBowl version of Cunningham at QB.

I think if the tigers win out, it's a conversation, but I think it might be very hard to win out...

I saw that Temple v ECU game. Wasn't impressed. Unless we have a bad night, we roll them by 2 touchdowns.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - BigTigerMike - 10-27-2015 12:25 AM

Wished this was that 8 team playoff they'll eventually have in so many years (count on it being sooner rather than later) because we would be in as basically 1 of the wild card teams, at-large or whatever you would want to call it if we went undefeated this year.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - spankadelphia - 10-27-2015 01:42 AM

The playoffs are a pipe dream. A new years bowl, on the other hand, is very attainable. Hope we don't get stuck with LSU or Bama.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - ncrdbl1 - 10-27-2015 02:44 AM

Right now my concern is going 8-0. But let's try to be realistic. It will be impossible for any G5 to make it into the four team playoffs. Just too many factors and prejudices going against them to have a chance. There is no such thing as a level playing field in college football. It is set up to benefit the P5 conferences. Has been since the day they set up the previous BCS system and carries on today with the playoff system. Do not forget the first ACC conference title game FSU wasn't even ranked going into the game and ended up getting a BCS bowl bid. Then you have teams such as Tulane which goes undefeated and cannot get a BCS invite.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - bubbapt - 10-27-2015 02:55 AM

(10-26-2015 10:05 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 10:03 PM)Bluebeard Wrote:  

1998 National Champs, the Tulane Green Wave
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tulane_Green_Wave_football_team

If UTk doesn't like it, they can round up their alums and go play Tulane. No one beat Tulane, so I don't think UTk gets it legit.

Undefeated teams not playing for a title is BS.

Memphis' schedule this year will be a lot tougher than Tulane's was.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - ncrdbl1 - 10-27-2015 02:57 AM

(10-26-2015 10:41 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  It's not TV executives, it's the playoff committee, whose task is to pick the best 4 teams in the country, as they see it. (Sure, the TV execs may try to pressure them behind the scenes for ratings purposes.)

The playoff committee is not going to be able to say we are one of the 4 because we didn't play as tough a schedule as the big names. Even if all the big names have 2 losses, several of them will only have lost to other highly ranked teams. If Bowling Green can get ranked, we will have played 4 ranked teams, but all of them in the upper half of the Top25. That's the best we can do; I don't think Cincy can get ranked. It will require 3 losses for the big names for us to be seriously in the mix.

May claim so but not true. Based on the ESPN Power ratings, which is really their in house top 25 poll. We have or will play four team which have been ranked this year.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - TripleA - 10-27-2015 07:59 AM

(10-27-2015 01:42 AM)spankadelphia Wrote:  The playoffs are a pipe dream. A new years bowl, on the other hand, is very attainable. Hope we don't get stuck with LSU or Bama.

We're in the lead for the Access slot, so yeah. Win out, and we're in. One loss, and we still could get in, depending on where the one loss is.

As for the playoffs, it's a huge long shot, assuming we run the table, but I'd put our chances at somewhere north of a pipe dream, lol.

We need some combo of a lot of the events listed in the OP, for that to become possible.

RE: Memphis playoff hopes - mairving - 10-27-2015 08:06 AM

<begin reverse jinx>
We will never get into the playoffs this year.
</end reverse jinx>