CSNbbs
Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) (/thread-753190.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Almadenmike - 10-16-2015 02:23 AM

Stanford crushed UCLA 56-35 Thursday night and it wasn't nearly that close. The Cardinal led 56-17 before the 3rd quarter was over! Christian McCaffrey rushed for a school-record 243 yards in three quarters, and also had a 96-yard kickoff return.

But the highlight of the game was the incredible TD catch by Francis Owusu: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13899479 Despite the defender, who did not look back for the ball, running into him face-to-face, Owusu caught the underthrown pass with both hands behind the defenders back ... !!! ... and controlled it as they tumbled to the ground. Amazing!!

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Fort Bend Owl - 10-16-2015 06:10 AM

Nice play by Owusu but it wasn't a catch (didn't maintain possession hitting the ground or is that strictly an NFL rule?).

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - mrbig - 10-16-2015 11:27 AM

WKU crushed North Texas 55-28. Was 55-14 until North Texas scored 14 points in the last 6 minutes. That said, North Texas had more points in the first half (14) against WKU than Rice had all game. North Texas is terrible, but WKU continues to take care of business and looks like a top-25 team.

edit: please do not let this thread devolve into the WKU post-game thread. We already hashed out Rice's performance against WKU. I was merely noting that WKU continues to destroy weaker CUSA teams.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Brookes Owl - 10-16-2015 11:34 AM

(10-16-2015 06:10 AM)Bitter UCLA Alum ;) Wrote:  Nice play by Owusu but it wasn't a catch (didn't maintain possession hitting the ground or is that strictly an NFL rule?).

He had control of the ball after hitting the ground. Defender knocked it away after he was down.

Good replay here.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - JSA - 10-16-2015 04:27 PM

(10-16-2015 11:27 AM)mrbig Wrote:  WKU crushed North Texas 55-28. Was 55-14 until North Texas scored 14 points in the last 6 minutes. That said, North Texas had more points in the first half (14) against WKU than Rice had all game. North Texas is terrible, but WKU continues to take care of business and looks like a top-25 team.

edit: please do not let this thread devolve into the WKU post-game thread. We already hashed out Rice's performance against WKU. I was merely noting that WKU continues to destroy weaker CUSA teams.

I'm not sure, but ND Kalu said he thinks WK can give LSU a game next week.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Fort Bend Owl - 10-16-2015 10:16 PM

Boise State is losing to Utah State 45-10 at the half. The Broncos have 7 first-half turnovers! That's what they get for using our playbook.

This is potentially a very good night for Houston (which leads Tulane 28-7 at the half).

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - mrbig - 10-17-2015 08:50 AM

UH crushes Tulane 42-7. Man, do I wish Rice was in the AAC instead of CUSA. We'd struggle to make bowl games, but at least the competition would have plenty of familiar names.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 10-17-2015 08:54 AM

(10-17-2015 08:50 AM)mrbig Wrote:  UH crushes Tulane 42-7. Man, do I wish Rice was in the AAC instead of CUSA. We'd struggle to make bowl games, but at least the competition would have plenty of familiar names.

AAC fans are the most insufferable in FBS. 90% of the threads on their board are some form of "Waaaah, we're not part of the G4, we're a tweener!" They are the Hyancith Bucket conference.

But, yeah, I'd still rather be in the AAC.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-17-2015 09:09 AM

(10-17-2015 08:54 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(10-17-2015 08:50 AM)mrbig Wrote:  UH crushes Tulane 42-7. Man, do I wish Rice was in the AAC instead of CUSA. We'd struggle to make bowl games, but at least the competition would have plenty of familiar names.
AAC fans are the most insufferable in FBS. 90% of the threads on their board are some form of "Waaaah, we're not part of the G4, we're a tweener!" They are the Hyancith Bucket conference.

We are where we are. We are not going to play many familiar names in this conference, ever. We are not going to play many conference foes without a direction or a city in their name. Therefore we need to DOMINATE them. 7-5, 8-4, and going to a minor bowl are not DOMINATING them. We need to be going undefeated in conference play. Maybe the EZF will bump our recruiting up enough to get us there. Maybe it won't. I just don't know.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - GoodOwl - 10-17-2015 09:26 AM

(10-17-2015 09:09 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

We are where we are. We are not going to play many familiar names in this conference, ever. We are not going to play many conference foes without a direction or a city in their name. Therefore we need to DOMINATE them. 7-5, 8-4, and going to a minor bowl are not DOMINATING them. We need to be going undefeated in conference play. Maybe the EZF will bump our recruiting up enough to get us there. Maybe it won't. I just don't know.

Apparently, this is not the case. All we need to to right now is beat about 6 or 7 teams from the CUSA schedule by 1 point, and then beat an FCS team each year, which means bowl game every season. There is seemingly no real urgency or requirement to do anything else. That is the definition of success for the moment. I don't know how that helps put new fans in the stands, or keeps any new fan who is brought along to want to come back and pay for the experience, but that is apparently not a top concern at the moment. The same folks who have come anyway will still come, more or less, and that is good enough at this time. Perhaps with the new EZF in five or ten more years, that will change, but it is what it is, and we are where we are now. Settle in and get comfortable.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - owlaggie - 10-17-2015 09:44 AM

Fresno State pulled a Rice last night scoring 14 points in the 4th quarter to beat UNLV 31-28. Like the FAU game rain was a factor late in the game as a sudden downpour prevented UNLV from attempting a FG to tie. Instead, like Rice/FAU, game ended with a 4th down sack on UNLVs last possession.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - ESE84 - 10-17-2015 10:56 AM

(10-17-2015 09:09 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We are where we are. We are not going to play many familiar names in this conference, ever. We are not going to play many conference foes without a direction or a city in their name. Therefore we need to DOMINATE them. 7-5, 8-4, and going to a minor bowl are not DOMINATING them. We need to be going undefeated in conference play. Maybe the EZF will bump our recruiting up enough to get us there. Maybe it won't. I just don't know.

Until UH gets their golden ticket to the Big 12 or other promised land, we're in C-USA. Agree that we would have to make a compelling case otherwise for the AAC to double down in the Houston market. Rhoades and basketball will help.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - RiceLad15 - 10-17-2015 01:06 PM

(10-17-2015 09:26 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(10-17-2015 09:09 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Apparently, this is not the case. All we need to to right now is beat about 6 or 7 teams from the CUSA schedule by 1 point, and then beat an FCS team each year, which means bowl game every season. There is seemingly no real urgency or requirement to do anything else. That is the definition of success for the moment. I don't know how that helps put new fans in the stands, or keeps any new fan who is brought along to want to come back and pay for the experience, but that is apparently not a top concern at the moment. The same folks who have come anyway will still come, more or less, and that is good enough at this time. Perhaps with the new EZF in five or ten more years, that will change, but it is what it is, and we are where we are now. Settle in and get comfortable.

I understand what you're saying, and agree. But outside of this season, when have we done that? This is the first season since '07 we played a FCS team and the last two season we won 6 or 7 games, they were viewed as successes because of the previous season's results.

Since this season isn't over, I wouldn't think it would be appropriate to say that we are content with beating 6 FBS teams and 1 FCS team every year. I guess I'm wondering what decisions from the AD are driving you to say that specifically?

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-17-2015 01:09 PM

(10-17-2015 10:56 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(10-17-2015 09:09 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We are where we are. We are not going to play many familiar names in this conference, ever. We are not going to play many conference foes without a direction or a city in their name. Therefore we need to DOMINATE them. 7-5, 8-4, and going to a minor bowl are not DOMINATING them. We need to be going undefeated in conference play. Maybe the EZF will bump our recruiting up enough to get us there. Maybe it won't. I just don't know.
Until UH gets their golden ticket to the Big 12 or other promised land, we're in C-USA. Agree that we would have to make a compelling case otherwise for the AAC to double down in the Houston market. Rhoades and basketball will help.

I agree. I think basketball may very well turn out to be our ticket out and up. That is one reason why I'm saying keep Bailiff in place and focus on other things for now. Bailiff has done enough to get to stay long enough to see if the EZF is in fact the magic ticket. If that doesn't materialize, then we can address that situation. If basketball--men and women--are regular participants in the Dance by then, and baseball is getting back to Omaha, then a football team that gets to bowls would be enough. I realize that's a tall order, but I think that's more likely than a TCU/Boise path in football.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - cr11owl - 10-17-2015 01:15 PM

(10-17-2015 01:09 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-17-2015 10:56 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

I agree. I think basketball may very well turn out to be our ticket out and up. That is one reason why I'm saying keep Bailiff in place and focus on other things for now. Bailiff has done enough to get to stay long enough to see if the EZF is in fact the magic ticket. If that doesn't materialize, then we can address that situation. If basketball--men and women--are regular participants in the Dance by then, and baseball is getting back to Omaha, then a football team that gets to bowls would be enough. I realize that's a tall order, but I think that's more likely than a TCU/Boise path in football.

Completely agree. If Rhoades gets us to the dance this year or next year we better give him anything he asks for after that. He coaches a style that can pull off some miracle runs even before he gets 4 and 5 star guys (see VCU). IF that happens we need to convince him he can be the coach K of Texas and take us from nothing to build a coaching legacy. I know that might be a couple seasons down the road but I'm encouraged that we held off VCU as a first step.

As discussed here many times before it's much easier to convince 1 or 2 highly regarded players to come to Rice each year for basketball than it is to convince a signing class of 18-20 highly regarded recruits for football.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Antarius - 10-17-2015 01:22 PM

Memphis up 31-14 on #13 Ole Miss

The gap between the have nots is huge and getting larger. UH and Memphis showing that the AAC is leagues better than the clown show known as CUSA

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Antarius - 10-17-2015 01:41 PM

Also Baylor up on 3-2 WVU 34-24. WVU isn't particularly impressive this year with an ugly loss to OU and a loss to OKie state

Baylor is very good but we made them look a whole lot better than other teams have thus far

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Gravy Owl - 10-17-2015 01:47 PM

(10-17-2015 01:15 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  As discussed here many times before it's much easier to convince 1 or 2 highly regarded players to come to Rice each year for basketball than it is to convince a signing class of 18-20 highly regarded recruits for football.

Apples to oranges. There are a lot more football recruits than basketball recruits, and the numbers you cited are a full football class vs. half (or less) of a basketball class. And my sense is that basketball talent is somewhat more predictable than football talent.

To me the big difference between football and basketball is that it's a lot easier for a small school like Rice to sell 5000 tickets 15 times than to sell 35000 tickets 6 times.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Antarius - 10-17-2015 01:56 PM

(10-17-2015 01:47 PM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  To me the big difference between football and basketball is that it's a lot easier for a small school like Rice to sell 5000 tickets 15 times than to sell 35000 tickets 6 times.

That and the fact that we have Rhoades in charge. It's a lot easier to convince recruits to come to Rice when a coach takes a team with very little talent on the road and plays a ranked Texas down to the wire.

On the flip side getting utterly humiliated by Baylor and playing lowly FAU down to the wire probably has exactly the opposite effect.

RE: Other games this weekend (Oct 15-17, 2015) - Antarius - 10-17-2015 02:05 PM

Miss State crushing LaTech.