CSNbbs
Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. (/thread-752837.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - baruna falls - 10-13-2015 04:09 AM

With Spurrier announcing his retirement last night I read on the 247 South Carolina site where Tom Herman and Justin Fuente were mentioned as possible replacements. Thoughts from Houston and Memphis guys?

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and the two AAC coaches. - vcoog - 10-13-2015 04:55 AM

(10-13-2015 04:09 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  With Spurrier announcing his retirement last night I read on the 247 South Carolina site where Tom Herman and Justin Fuente were mentioned as possible replacements. Thoughts from Houston and Memphis guys?

My gut tells me a p5 school will want a HC with at least a couple years of success.. Fuente probably gets poached this year, Herman a couple years down the road (assuming houston doesn't coog it) it's just the name of the game. Houston most likely in this league won't pay a coach more than 2mil/year. Former UH coaches are making almost triple that today, nothing personal just business.

Maybe someday houston or Memphis will get their Gary Patterson to hang around and build the program up. But even TCU is paying their Coach 4mil a year now.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and the two AAC coaches. - transitt - 10-13-2015 05:53 AM

If a coach decides they want a P5 job they'll take it. Memphis will pay to keep Fuente. If he leaves at least we have shown a real plan to improve football and are in a good position to hire a quality replacement.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and the two AAC coaches. - CougarRed - 10-13-2015 06:42 AM

(10-13-2015 04:09 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  With Spurrier announcing his retirement last night I read on the 247 South Carolina site where Tom Herman and Justin Fuente were mentioned as possible replacements. Thoughts from Houston and Memphis guys?

Guess what. As long as they keep winning, both coaches will be thrown out for every job opening.

It's the price you pay for having a desirable coach.

But all this speculation means nothing. Last I checked, a school has to grant permission for the coach to interview. Herman and Fuentes won't be interviewing during the season.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - No Bull - 10-13-2015 09:01 AM

(10-13-2015 06:42 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  

Guess what. As long as they keep winning, both coaches will be thrown out for every job opening.

It's the price you pay for having a desirable coach.

But all this speculation means nothing. Last I checked, a school has to grant permission for the coach to interview. Herman and Fuentes won't be interviewing during the season.

Houston generally does well knowmatter who the head coach is...

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - k-vegasbuc - 10-13-2015 09:08 AM

Yeah I think first South Carolina is going to make a run at a couple of long shots first to see if they have interest. One of those being Mich St. head coach Mark Dantonio since he is a South Carolina alum. I highly, highly doubt he leaves Michigan St. for South Carolina but you know that South Carolina is going to at least ask. Another guy that they might want to give a look is current SEC and Kentucky head coach Stoops. He seems to have Kentucky turning the corner yet Kentucky is a basketball first school, so they might have a shot if they throw him a lot of money. After they look at some long shots and if those don't work then I think their eye will turn to the AAC coaches.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - PiratePanther189 - 10-13-2015 09:53 AM

Fuente is definitely public enemy #1. I know Memphis fans will think that they can pay their way out of him leaving for a period, but when the SEC comes calling - he gone. And I think there's a good chance this may be his job to lose if they aren't interested in paying big bucks to poach a P5 coach like Dantonio.

I also want to add that I really, really don't think Gary Patterson would still be at TCU if they weren't in the B12 (someone mentioned Memphis/Hou finding their Patterson). I think he'd be at Texas and Charlie Strong would still be in L'ville

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - TIGERCITY - 10-13-2015 10:05 AM

IMO Fuente will get a better job than South Carolina --- too hard to win there.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - laser101 - 10-13-2015 10:15 AM

As a cincy fan I can tell you, coaches come and go all the time. It's part of the game.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - oldtiger - 10-13-2015 10:16 AM

Decades past, leaving Memphis for South Carolina would be a no brainer. It absolutely could happe now, I'd be a bit disappointed if It did.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - CyberBull - 10-13-2015 10:29 AM

(10-13-2015 10:05 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

IMO Fuente will get a better job than South Carolina --- too hard to win there.

The power of the SEC has shifted to the West. The right coach can win the East and be in contention for the SEC Championship game every year...where anything can happen. USC is an upper-half SEC job and it would hard for any coach to turn down an SEC job. The worst that could happen is that they would flame out but come out richer for the experience.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - Tigers2B1 - 10-13-2015 10:32 AM

If a decent job in the ACC comes open I hope Fuente lands there. The ACC is a really weak P5 conference that doesn't throw him immediately into the fire and could be used as his stepping stone to a really big time school in a stronger conference.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - k-vegasbuc - 10-13-2015 10:51 AM

(10-13-2015 10:32 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  If a decent job in the ACC comes open I hope Fuente lands there. The ACC is a really weak P5 conference that doesn't throw him immediately into the fire and could be used as his stepping stone to a really big time school in a stronger conference.

Yeah we'll have to see what opens up after the end of the year. You could have Miami open up which would be a tremendous job. Possibly Virginia or Virginia Tech which would be appealing though I don't know if either of those would offer as much money as South Carolina.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - GO Coogs GO!!! - 10-13-2015 10:55 AM

(10-13-2015 09:53 AM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  I also want to add that I really, really don't think Gary Patterson would still be at TCU if they weren't in the B12 (someone mentioned Memphis/Hou finding their Patterson). I think he'd be at Texas and Charlie Strong would still be in L'ville

Patterson has been at TCU since 1998 and HC since 2000. They didn't join the B12 until 2011 so there were plenty of jobs that he could have bolted to if he so desired. TCU finished ranked 8 times in that span.

The point people are making is if a Fuente or Herman are of that caliber and choose to build something and not play P5 musical chairs then they could really build something special like TCU.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - Tigers2B1 - 10-13-2015 11:00 AM

(10-13-2015 10:51 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 10:32 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  If a decent job in the ACC comes open I hope Fuente lands there. The ACC is a really weak P5 conference that doesn't throw him immediately into the fire and could be used as his stepping stone to a really big time school in a stronger conference.

Yeah we'll have to see what opens up after the end of the year. You could have Miami open up which would be a tremendous job. Possibly Virginia or Virginia Tech which would be appealing though I don't know if either of those would offer as much money as South Carolina.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuente's ultimate goal is to land at an elite BXII school. He's from that area. I think one of those ACC jobs could get him there.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - Tigers2B1 - 10-13-2015 11:03 AM

(10-13-2015 10:55 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 09:53 AM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  I also want to add that I really, really don't think Gary Patterson would still be at TCU if they weren't in the B12 (someone mentioned Memphis/Hou finding their Patterson). I think he'd be at Texas and Charlie Strong would still be in L'ville

Patterson has been at TCU since 1998 and HC since 2000. They didn't join the B12 until 2011 so there were plenty of jobs that he could have bolted to if he so desired. TCU finished ranked 8 times in that span.

The point people are making is if a Fuente or Herman are of that caliber and choose to build something and not play P5 musical chairs then they could really build something special like TCU.

I think there's only a outside chance that either stays to find out. That said, the Memphis metro area does produce lots of quality recruits. 150 plus now play on FBS teams. 40 plus of those are now on SEC rosters. So there is P5 type talent here.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - UofMstateU - 10-13-2015 11:06 AM

(10-13-2015 11:00 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 10:51 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuente's ultimate goal is to land at an elite BXII school. He's from that area. I think one of those ACC jobs could get him there.

One of those ACC jobs could also send him to obscurity as well.

He doesnt need an ACC job to stand out. The only reason to do that is if he thought competing for a national championship would be easier at one of those schools than Memphis. At this point, I dont see that at all. Going ACC is way too big of a risk. Going low-bar SEC or B10 is the same thing.

South Carolina is interesting, but its probably easier to get into the playoffs with Memphis than with SC.

The USC job is the danger job at this point. Not necessarily because they would hire Fuente (I believe the pressure is on them to go big), but because they could end up snagging a coach that would open up an interesting position.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - GO Coogs GO!!! - 10-13-2015 11:09 AM

(10-13-2015 11:03 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 10:55 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  The point people are making is if a Fuente or Herman are of that caliber and choose to build something and not play P5 musical chairs then they could really build something special like TCU.

I think there's only a outside chance that either stays to find out. That said, the Memphis metro area does produce lots of quality recruits. 150 plus now play on FBS teams. 40 plus of those are now on SEC rosters. So there is P5 type talent here.

Maybe but I have to think if it had to be one of the two its going to be Fuente not that I think Herman is a lesser talent, but no SEC school is going to take a chance on a HC after one year regardless of the hype.

As for talent take a look at the Houston area its up there with any talent pool in the country. There might be a few as good or better but not many and not by much.

That said I hope its neither. A rising tide lifts all ships. A solid Memphis, Houston, or whoever is good for everyone in the AAC.

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - TheBigEastSucks - 10-13-2015 11:18 AM

I would have butch Davis on my private jet if I were hiring

RE: Steve Spurrier retirement and two AAC coaches. - UHDC - 10-13-2015 11:18 AM

(10-13-2015 11:09 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 11:03 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 10:55 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  The point people are making is if a Fuente or Herman are of that caliber and choose to build something and not play P5 musical chairs then they could really build something special like TCU.

Maybe but I have to think if it had to be one of the two its going to be Fuente not that I think Herman is a lesser talent, but no SEC school is going to take a chance on a HC after one year regardless of the hype.

As for talent take a look at the Houston area its up there with any talent pool in the country. There might be a few as good or better but not many and not by much.

That said I hope its neither. A rising tide lifts all ships. A solid Memphis, Houston, or whoever is good for everyone in the AAC.

I can really only think of one coach who spent 1 year as a HC in a G5 league and that was Gus from Auburn. He had ties to Auburn so Herman is no comparison.