CSNbbs
Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries (/thread-751819.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Nick in Cleveland - 10-05-2015 11:56 AM

1. Western/Central; and more so on the Central side
2. BG/Toledo
3. Kent/Akron
4. Toledo/NIU (over the past decade)
5. Ohio/Miami (more historical, especially from the 1950s through the 1980s)

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - bobcat_backer - 10-05-2015 12:38 PM

the problem with our rivalry is that neither Ohio nor Miami can be good (in football) at the same time! LOL that would make things a lot more interesting, I think.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - perimeterpost - 10-05-2015 12:46 PM

Ohio v Miami is, and will always be, the MAC's top rivalry.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - george14 - 10-05-2015 12:51 PM

(10-05-2015 12:46 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Ohio v Miami is, and will always be, the MAC's top rivalry.

I don't think so. Call me a homer but in terms of "knowledge of the rivalry" I would say CMU-WMU followed by UT-BGSU.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 01:05 PM

Trophy games make a rivalry. It seems like the Toledo vs NIU rivalry has had a built in trophy called the MAC West crown...

Toledo vs BG first IMO. We play them every year even though we arent in the same division. EMU also wanting a stake in the michigan teams rivalry i would say waters down WMU and CMU.

UT vs BG (battle of i75/ peace pipe)
Akron vs Kent (wagon wheel)
.... are the closest MAC teams in proximity and have to give them 1 and 2.
OU vs. Miami (battle of the bricks)
Directional michigan rivalry's.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 01:07 PM

Also in football how close are teams in the win column with their so called rivals? Toledo winning 5 in a row to MAC EAST top dogs narrows the all time series to very very close in favor of BG.

The amount of times played is also a good deciding factor in rivalry's

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - george14 - 10-05-2015 01:28 PM

(10-05-2015 01:07 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Also in football how close are teams in the win column with their so called rivals? Toledo winning 5 in a row to MAC EAST top dogs narrows the all time series to very very close in favor of BG.

The amount of times played is also a good deciding factor in rivalry's

I don't mean to stir this debate up, but that's like saying UM-OSU is less of a rivalry because MSU wants a part. They are 2 separate rivalries, UM-MSU and UM-OSU.

CMU-WMU is a big rivalry. It's no disrespect to EMU, I don't really view them as a rival. If those fans want to take that as an insult because of their program, ok, I never said that but I know that is the response. There is the Michigan MAC trophy yes, but CMU and I don't think WMU views EMU as much of a rival simply because our big rivalry is each other. I view EMU just like I would view any other MACW opponent.

CMU-WMU has a trophy, the all time record is 47-36-2 in favor of WMU, and the last 10 is 6-4 in favor of CMU. Since CMU became D1 in the 1970's I'm pretty sure we have a substantial lead by like 20 wins.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - george14 - 10-05-2015 01:29 PM

(10-05-2015 01:05 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Trophy games make a rivalry. It seems like the Toledo vs NIU rivalry has had a built in trophy called the MAC West crown...

Toledo vs BG first IMO. We play them every year even though we arent in the same division. EMU also wanting a stake in the michigan teams rivalry i would say waters down WMU and CMU.

And no disrespect, but Toledo has not been to the MACCG in over 10 years. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with the MACW crown argument. You would need to win one of those to claim it I think....

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - perimeterpost - 10-05-2015 01:39 PM

Ohio and Miami are the two oldest institutions in the MAC (1804,1809), the two oldest members of the MAC (1946,1947), and have played the most total games against each other (91) and the most total head to head games as conference mates (68). If Ohio wins on Saturday the two teams will be 10-10 in head to head matchups over the past 20yrs. The record for the 20yrs before that was 11-8-1 with Miami having the slight edge.

One of the strongest features of the MAC is that the consistency of membership has created several really good, true rivalries among the teams. No other G5 conference can come close to the shared history we have in the MAC. This is not to take away from BG/UT or Ak/KSU or WMU/CMU, they're all great rivalries, but a list like this has to start with OU/MU.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - axeme - 10-05-2015 01:46 PM

(10-05-2015 01:39 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Ohio and Miami are the two oldest institutions in the MAC (1804,1809), the two oldest members of the MAC (1946,1947), and have played the most total games against each other (91) and the most total head to head games as conference mates (68). If Ohio wins on Saturday the two teams will be 10-10 in head to head matchups over the past 20yrs. The record for the 20yrs before that was 11-8-1 with Miami having the slight edge.

One of the strongest features of the MAC is that the consistency of membership has created several really good, true rivalries among the teams. No other G5 conference can come close to the shared history we have in the MAC. This is not to take away from BG/UT or Ak/KSU or WMU/CMU, they're all great rivalries, but a list like this has to start with OU/MU.

All true, but what I think the question here is which rivalries are the the most passionate ones. Some heat seems to have gone out of the OU-Miami rivalry in recent years. Historically, it's OU-Miami, but you wouldn't know it the last few years for a variety of reasons.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Boca Rocket - 10-05-2015 01:56 PM

(10-05-2015 01:29 PM)george14 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 01:05 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Trophy games make a rivalry. It seems like the Toledo vs NIU rivalry has had a built in trophy called the MAC West crown...

And no disrespect, but Toledo has not been to the MACCG in over 10 years. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with the MACW crown argument. You would need to win one of those to claim it I think....

UT was MAC West Co-Champs with NIU in 2011 and 2014. NIU went to the MACC game because of their direct wins over Toledo.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - bobcat_backer - 10-05-2015 03:16 PM

(10-05-2015 01:46 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 01:39 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Ohio and Miami are the two oldest institutions in the MAC (1804,1809), the two oldest members of the MAC (1946,1947), and have played the most total games against each other (91) and the most total head to head games as conference mates (68). If Ohio wins on Saturday the two teams will be 10-10 in head to head matchups over the past 20yrs. The record for the 20yrs before that was 11-8-1 with Miami having the slight edge.

All true, but what I think the question here is which rivalries are the the most passionate ones. Some heat seems to have gone out of the OU-Miami rivalry in recent years. Historically, it's OU-Miami, but you wouldn't know it the last few years for a variety of reasons.

one can definitely still feel the heat between the two in other sports, specifically men's basketball and women's volleyball. but since this is about football rivalries, I will defer to your original comment!

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Redwingtom - 10-05-2015 03:51 PM

(10-05-2015 12:46 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Ohio v Miami is, and will always be, the MAC's top rivalry.

Maybe in all sports, but this list is just for football.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Redwingtom - 10-05-2015 03:54 PM

(10-05-2015 01:56 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

UT was MAC West Co-Champs with NIU in 2011 and 2014. NIU went to the MACC game because of their direct wins over Toledo.

Uh...you actually went there. 03-lmfao

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 04:03 PM

Because NIU and UT dont have a trophy and the all time series is seriously tilted toward UT i dont see it as a rivalry. It is to NIU because of recent history though. My statement about MAC West crown as the "trophy" was sort of a joke, but analyze the last 5 years!!!

2010: NIU 8-0, toledo 7-1
2011: NIU 7-1, Toledo 7-1
2012: NIU 8-0, Toledo 6-2
2013: NIU 8-0, Toledo 5-3
2014: NIU 7-1, Toledo 7-1

The only years you could argue that game didnt matter was 2013, but we lost the final game of the year to Akron when playing for nothing. In every single matchup a Toledo win could have led to the MAC WEST crown.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - george14 - 10-05-2015 04:06 PM

Once again, no disrespect but there is no such thing as a co-champ in 99% of peoples eyes. You either won the division or you didn't.

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 04:07 PM

(10-05-2015 03:54 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Uh...you actually went there. 03-lmfao

Its as laughable as BG doing their MAC East championship ceremony against Toledo in womens basketball. Winning that side for the last couple seasons has been super funny!! Whats BG's record vs. our side of the conference in that time period? I know BG was 0-4 last year 03-lmfao

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 04:08 PM

(10-05-2015 04:06 PM)george14 Wrote:  

Once again, no disrespect but there is no such thing as a co-champ in 99% of peoples eyes. You either won the division or you didn't.

Rings were given out. Its more impressive than winning the EAST!

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - Love and Honor - 10-05-2015 04:22 PM

Given the general indifference towards Miami football recently, I don't know if Miami-OU can be considered the top football rivalry. This Saturday, Peden will be full of fans who will be there because they want to see the Bobkittens kick the snot out of Miami, those snobby preps over in Oxford. When OU is in Oxford, lately there's just been a yawn of apathy while students go uptown and alums stay at home. The 2012 game felt like a rivalry game since the family weekend crowd was good, OU was ranked, and Miami wasn't too far removed from the MAC championship, but a winless and 2-10 season killed our fan base.

The rivalry will be back one day, probably within a few years. But personally, I think it's always going to mean more to OU for the foreseeable future because of the perception of general cultural differences that fuel the rivalry in Athens and the presence of UC for Miami (to a lesser extent).

RE: Ranking the MAC's top football rivalries - UofToledoFans - 10-05-2015 04:29 PM

http://www.winsipedia.com/toledo/vs/bowling-green

BG leads the series 39-36-4
UT has .551 all time win %..... BG has .588
Toledo has a current win streak at 5..... BG's longest was 12 in the 50's and 60's
Toledo has been to 14 bowl games... BG to 12
Toledo has 13 MACC.... Bg has 16
Toledo has 39 weeks in AP25.... Bg has 16
Toledo has 51 draft picks.... Bg has 64
And the schools are 20 miles a part... As far as both teams being near the top of the MAC for all time, and how close the series is it has to be the best rivalry! Miami and OU never really being great at the same time hurts their claim for largest football rivalry. Maybe between schools for all sports they take the cake.