CSNbbs
Kudos to Huskie athletics - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Kudos to Huskie athletics (/thread-751042.html)

Kudos to Huskie athletics - uiniu57 - 09-29-2015 11:17 AM

Saw the following headline in The Daily Herald:

St. Edward will play at NIU Friday
By John Radtke
St. Edward's homecoming football game won't be at home, but the Green Wave will get a chance to play in a special place Friday night.

Athletic director P.J. White said Monday the Green Wave will host Walther Christian Friday night at Huskie Stadium on the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. The sophomore game will be at 5:30 p.m. with the varsity contest to follow.

"If you can't have it at home then NIU is better than anywhere else that's available," White said. "If we're going to salvage anything out of homecoming at least this will be a neat experience for everyone."

This will be the third straight week St. Edward has had to play away from its own Greg True Field due to the lawn care company contracted to take care of the field accidentally using weed killer instead of fertilizer at the end of August, which killed all the grass on the football field.

St. Edward played against Guerin Prep at Geneva High School last week and White said Geneva would have been fine for this week but the Vikings have a home game Friday night against St. Charles East.

NIU had contacted White a couple weeks ago offering to help if it could.

"They called me and said they had seen it on the news and if we needed a place to play they'd help us out if they could," he said. "Geneva was awesome and a great venue and we would have been happy there again but they have a home game this week so I reached out to NIU and they said they'd love to help out."

White has actually coached on the Huskie Stadium field. As an assistant coach at Batavia, he was on the field when the Bulldogs won the Class 6A state title in 2013 at NIU. NIU was also the longtime home for DeKalb High School games before DeKalb built its own field.

"It's a little further away for our fans but it should be a neat experience," White said. "I'm hoping it will be a fun game for the kids and should be a cool thing for everybody."

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - niuaccy1976 - 09-29-2015 11:22 AM

This is great to see. My kids attended St Ed's.

I like this:

"NIU had contacted White a couple weeks ago offering to help if it could."

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - huskie1stdown - 09-29-2015 11:26 AM

Excellent!! Thumbs up to the Athletic department.

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - Lord Stanley - 09-29-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:using weed killer instead of fertilizer at the end of August, which killed all the grass on the football field.

See what a Toledo education does?

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - BobL - 09-29-2015 05:27 PM

(09-29-2015 11:22 AM)niuaccy1976 Wrote:  This is great to see. My kids attended St Ed's.

I like this:

"NIU had contacted White a couple weeks ago offering to help if it could."

04-cheers

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - zdsmith - 09-29-2015 08:12 PM

Awesome!!

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - NIUSAE - 09-29-2015 10:46 PM

That (killing of grass) happened to one of my neighbors. They weren't very happy. St. Ed's home to former ALL-MAC tackle Jim Hannula. I played against him in high school and he was 6'5" about 175 max as QB and punter. He could boom the ball. Added a few pounds in college to play offensive tackle.

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - NIU17 - 09-30-2015 11:41 AM

I'm going to the game as my son attends St Ed's and it's homecoming. By the way, the basketball team goes to a couple NIU bball games a year. NIU has been very hospitable and offered tours of the convo, etc.

RE: Kudos to Huskie athletics - NIU17 - 09-30-2015 11:44 AM

(09-29-2015 10:46 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  That (killing of grass) happened to one of my neighbors. They weren't very happy. St. Ed's home to former ALL-MAC tackle Jim Hannula. I played against him in high school and he was 6'5" about 175 max as QB and punter. He could boom the ball. Added a few pounds in college to play offensive tackle.
Jim is a great guy. He played 3 years for the Bengals until he was hurt and he is in the Huskie HOF.