CSNbbs
Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 (/thread-750308.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Stay Cool - 09-24-2015 09:42 AM

[Image: tumblr_nv595p77Mq1rec8d6o1_540.jpg]

AAC and MAC are looking like the early favorites right now. Has the MWC lost it's claim as the best G5 for at least this year? Also they have Temple listed high and they are in the driver's seat for the access bowl. In the end, i see the access bowl coming down to a race between the AAC and MAC.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Hokie Mark - 09-24-2015 10:51 AM

A reasonable list, IMO.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - connecticutguy - 09-24-2015 11:09 AM

Temple is a wonderful university and has a great football team, but a defeat will likely come soon.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - DavidSt - 09-24-2015 11:54 AM

(09-24-2015 09:42 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_nv595p77Mq1rec8d6o1_540.jpg]

AAC and MAC are looking like the early favorites right now. Has the MWC lost it's claim as the best G5 for at least this year? Also they have Temple listed high and they are in the driver's seat for the access bowl. In the end, i see the access bowl coming down to a race between the AAC and MAC.

I think Temple is too high. With them nearly losing to U. Mass. shows that they could wind up with several loses. It will be up to Toledo, Northern Illinois, Air Force, Boise State, Houston and Memphis for the access bowl. Somebody who is high with 2 loses will be getting the access bowl.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - malenko2 - 09-24-2015 12:00 PM

(09-24-2015 11:09 AM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Temple is a wonderful university and has a great football team, but a defeat will likely come soon.

Temple is on a bye this weekend, plays at Charlotte next Friday night and then home against Tulane for Homecoming. It is certainly possible they could lose either of those games but they will be favored in both by a decent margin.

UCONN certainly looks improved this year but with Navy this weekend and then at BYU, it is a lot more likely UCONN loses another game before Temple loses their first. But I guess that is why they play the games.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - toddjnsn - 09-24-2015 01:20 PM

I still say Boise is up there, assuming their roughed-up QB doesn't come back roughed-up and plays poorly or the replacement sucks or something. They blew their wad at the end vs BYU, which UCLA could have done, and Nebraska did do.

The rankings are still also based on Expectations, too -- we're only 3 games into the season:

1. Memphis (Beat BGSU in unsurprising shoot-out; Solidly beat Kansas)
2. Temple (Supposed to be good, and are good this year; Beat PSU + Cinci)
3. Boise State (Supposed to be good, but blew it against BYU; is their QB situation OK?)
4. NIU (Played OSU tough; they made some of those turnovers and had great D)
5. Toledo (not looking so-great but gets the job done; Beat Arkansas & Iowa State)

Look Out For: Houston, Tulsa, Air Force, Navy, GA-Southern, Cincinnati, BGSU, Ohio

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - MWC Tex - 09-24-2015 01:36 PM

(09-24-2015 01:20 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  I still say Boise is up there, assuming their roughed-up QB doesn't come back roughed-up and plays poorly or the replacement sucks or something. They blew their wad at the end vs BYU, which UCLA could have done, and Nebraska did do.

The rankings are still also based on Expectations, too -- we're only 3 games into the season:

1. Memphis (Beat BGSU in unsurprising shoot-out; Solidly beat Kansas)
2. Temple (Supposed to be good, and are good this year; Beat PSU + Cinci)
3. Boise State (Supposed to be good, but blew it against BYU; is their QB situation OK?)
4. NIU (Played OSU tough; they made some of those turnovers and had great D)
5. Toledo (not looking so-great but gets the job done; Beat Arkansas & Iowa State)

Look Out For: Houston, Tulsa, Air Force, Navy, GA-Southern, Cincinnati, BGSU, Ohio

As for BSU. Rypien the now true freshman will probably start against Virginia. Granted it was against Idaho State, but he did pretty well and Stuart the other QB didn't do too bad either.
I'm guessing tomorrow Rypien with start with Stuart taking a series too.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - TrojanCampaign - 09-24-2015 04:34 PM

It's extremely shocking that everyone is sleeping on Navy. They have looked fantastic in every game so far.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - SuperFlyBCat - 09-24-2015 04:53 PM

Close enough. I like how Houston's schedule lines up. The P5/G5 stuff is rather absurd. The 2 QBs playing tonight are looking like top 5 QB NFL picks. NFL doesn't give a rats a s s where you college ball.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - MJG - 09-24-2015 06:41 PM

The top five G5 could beat the bottom five P5 almost every year.
maybe even the top ten on average I wonder where that line would be.

I bet as time goes on the line gets lower like top three or something.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - RustonCAT - 09-24-2015 09:46 PM

Toledo has been lucky so far..out gained by huge margins and somehow win..that ends on Saturday as they will not beable to out point Arkansas state

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Policiious - 09-25-2015 10:21 AM

This will be a weekend to watch Ohio leads the MAC East 3-0 with a road game at Minny (who despite playing TCU tough their opening week; only beat Kent last week by 3). A Bobcat win by 14 may vault them into the top 5 or at least be a solid #6. NIU will need a road win over Boston College to stay in the top 5, with BC's starting QB out for the season, the Huskies should win.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Stay Cool - 09-25-2015 10:35 AM

I think it's safe to pull Memphis off this... team has NO defense and if they meet any team with a half competent one they are in trouble

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Tigeer - 09-25-2015 10:54 AM

(09-25-2015 10:35 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I think it's safe to pull Memphis off this... team has NO defense and if they meet any team with a half competent one they are in trouble

Not so fast.....

Corso

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - ken d - 09-25-2015 10:58 AM

I think Houston is the AAC team with the best chance of getting the G5 spot. To get it, you have to be both conference champ and ranked relatively high. They only have Texas State and Vanderbilt left OOC. Win those two and they have two P5 wins on their resume. In conference, they have Cincy, Memphis and Navy.

They could make it to a CCG with a league loss, and a win there and they would probably be ranked. If Boise were to fall to Virginia, giving them 2 losses, IMO they wouldn't surpass a 1 loss Houston.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - Stay Cool - 09-25-2015 11:35 AM

(09-25-2015 10:54 AM)Tigeer Wrote:  
(09-25-2015 10:35 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I think it's safe to pull Memphis off this... team has NO defense and if they meet any team with a half competent one they are in trouble

Not so fast.....

Corso
I've been proven wrong and eaten crow many times before, your team has the chance to do so. But until they do, I'm just going off my observation and opinion

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - perimeterpost - 09-25-2015 11:59 AM

Interesting fact about the MWC-

After winning their first 2 games of the season vs FBS opponents (both P5 teams, btw) the MWC has lost their next 21 games in a row vs FBS opponents.

Here's the MWC's non conference FBS games in week 4-

Boise @ Virginia
Nevada @ Buffalo
SDSU @ Penn State
Colorado St @ UTSA
Hawaii @ Wisconsin

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - b0ndsj0ns - 09-25-2015 01:43 PM

(09-24-2015 04:34 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  It's extremely shocking that everyone is sleeping on Navy. They have looked fantastic in every game so far.

I hope they are amazing, but so far they've smashed a toothpaste and continued a lifetime of making Ruffin and company look stupid. ECU has played them 4 times under Ruff and the lowest point total they've been held to was 35, and most remember the 76 they dropped on ECU. I hope they are great and make that performance by ECU seem less embarrassing, but I need to see them against a defense that has a clue first.

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - FIUFan - 09-25-2015 02:15 PM

Looking at only this year, with no other hisotrical baggage, I see the top 3 like this:

1.) Toledo (2/2 P5 scalps)
2.) Temple (Penn St. and road W over Cincy)
3.) N. Ill. (you go to the Horseshoe and play the Buckeyes even; you get my vote)

What could go wrong:

1.) Toledo - almost any loss in their MAC schedule could be a disqualifier
2.) Temple - do they have the make-up to maintain this quick start? the UMass perfomance makes me wonder.
3.) N. Ill. - BC this weekend, they get by them it could set up a winner take all match-up later in the year at Toledo (loss may be too much to overcome though).

RE: Chris Childers' G5 top 5 - perimeterpost - 09-25-2015 03:41 PM

Right now here's the biggest conference games coming up in the MAC-

Week 10-
NIU@Toledo, Tues 11/3(ESPN2)
Ohio@Bowling Green, Wed 11/4(ESPN2)

Week 12-
Toledo@BGSU, Mon 11/16(ESPN2/ESPNU)

Week 13-
Ohio@NIU, Tues 11/24(ESPNU)

Best case scenario for the MAC is that the teams that don't meet in the regular season (OhiovToledo, NIUvBGSU) meet in the championship. Otherwise the MAC could once again spoil its own chance at success. This, of course, is assuming these teams manage to win the rest of their games which is a big assumption.