CSNbbs
Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State (/thread-750253.html)

Pages: 1 2

Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - BarsemaBone2 - 09-23-2015 07:56 PM

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2015/9/23/9389869/playing-to-win-nius-offensive-strategy-versus-ohio-state

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - MaddDawgz02 - 09-23-2015 09:22 PM

And no, I didn't write this article.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - MaddDawgz02 - 09-23-2015 09:27 PM

I really hope though the same conservative style is not employed for BC though, in my opinion this is just a monumentally, monumentally huge game for NIU. Not just to keep it respectable, but to win. You beat BC following a good showing at OSU, you earn a new level of national respect, and propel yourself into the top 3 discussion for an Access Bowl. You lose, all gains from a good showing at OSU are attributed just to OSU's mistakes, you are dismissed as a regular MAC team, and of course eliminated from Access Bowl talk. This game needs to be played to win.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - NIU007 - 09-23-2015 09:47 PM

I'm in complete agreement with the article. They might be a little more aggressive vs BC due to them having less offensive firepower than OSU.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - MaddDawgz02 - 09-23-2015 09:58 PM

(09-23-2015 09:47 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I'm in complete agreement with the article. They might be a little more aggressive vs BC due to them having less offensive firepower than OSU.

I am in agreement with the article in terms of why the conservative play calling was done, I am undecided on if it was the best choice, you can make a reasonable argument either way. However, imo, there is no reasonable argument that can be made for not going all out vs BC to try and win the game. There is clearly a bigger goal than the MAC on the line with this game, and if NIU's sole emphasis is on winning the conference, it would be disappointing to me for a football program that supposedly has bigger aspirations. I just have a feeling that this BC game is one of the bigger regular season non-conf games NIU will play in for some time. So much is on the line.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - NIU007 - 09-23-2015 10:05 PM

I agree in that the access bowl is probably out of reach if we don't beat BC.

I don't think the playcalling was that conservative against OSU, just because there were a limited number of plays we could execute, with Hare not getting a lot of time and the WRs being covered.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - shack66 - 09-24-2015 09:21 AM

I don't think they didn't try to push the ball down the field. The reality is that they were unable. Credit to the staff for realizing this and not pounding their heads into a brick wall. They used what they could to move the ball, play the battle of field position and hope for a crack somewhere that never really game on offense. The only conservative choices was not to risk losing the battle of field position. I thought the way the coaches saw the game play out and the choices they made were outstanding!

Going against the #1 team in the nation, the Risk vs Reward % is so high it would have got ugly, margin of loss higher and everyone would be crying why. Being able to know that and stay with the plan when your gut is wanting to go for it must have been tough, but they played the smart way.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - Huskie_Jon - 09-24-2015 10:11 AM

To the casual fan, it may seem that an offense just decides on a whim to throw the ball deep, and against much weaker opponents, that might actually be the case. But usually, deep throws are preceded by receivers breaking away, and QB's getting time in previous plays. On TV, the receivers disappear from the screen when they go deep, so you really do not notice them getting covered like a blanket. If the receiver is not breaking free when you do not throw to him, why assume he would get open when you do?

A few more interceptions and fumbled sacks could have put the OSU back on the field with good field position vs a Huskie defense with very little rest. Later, with a comfortable lead, OSU could have become more aggressive on offense. The game could have gotten out of control quickly.

As it stood, the Huskies stayed one big play away from changing the game up until the very end

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - 17Huskies - 09-24-2015 12:03 PM

It's amazing how many dumb people are allowed to write articles for actual websites, that's just a bunch of word vomit. Even if they had started with that strategy...when you're up 10-3 in the second quarter, you'd pretty quickly throw it to the wink.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - BarsemaBone2 - 09-24-2015 02:26 PM

(09-24-2015 12:03 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  It's amazing how many dumb people are allowed to write articles for actual websites, that's just a bunch of word vomit. Even if they had started with that strategy...when you're up 10-3 in the second quarter, you'd pretty quickly throw it to the wink.

Are you referring to the author of the piece? If so, he's right on the other side of this Username dude.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - niuguy - 09-24-2015 02:40 PM

(09-24-2015 02:26 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(09-24-2015 12:03 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  It's amazing how many dumb people are allowed to write articles for actual websites, that's just a bunch of word vomit. Even if they had started with that strategy...when you're up 10-3 in the second quarter, you'd pretty quickly throw it to the wink.

Are you referring to the author of the piece? If so, he's right on the other side of this Username dude.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - Rabid Squirrel - 09-24-2015 05:52 PM

You are familiar with what a "Fan post" is, right? I'm going to assume no, so I'll explain.

Fan posts allow anyone the access to their own write-up in the Fan post section. The readers should be aware they are reading the work of anyone who's willing to take the time to put there thoughts out there.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - spanky - 09-25-2015 11:54 PM

(09-23-2015 10:05 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I agree in that the access bowl is probably out of reach if we don't beat BC.

Not "probably". It's 100% out of reach if NIU loses this game.
It may be out of reach if they win. Boise is likely not losing again this year, and a couple other teams have looked decent as well.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - MaddDawgz02 - 09-26-2015 12:04 AM

(09-25-2015 11:54 PM)spanky Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 10:05 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I agree in that the access bowl is probably out of reach if we don't beat BC.

Not "probably". It's 100% out of reach if NIU loses this game.
It may be out of reach if they win. Boise is likely not losing again this year, and a couple other teams have looked decent as well.

The Boise situation is such a joke. I've never seen a team get rewarded so much for playing awful competition

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - spanky - 09-26-2015 12:27 AM

(09-26-2015 12:04 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The Boise situation is such a joke. I've never seen a team get rewarded so much for playing awful competition
To be fair....Murray State isn't on their schedule.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - badmoonrising13 - 09-26-2015 02:42 AM

Everyone knows you go for the jugular when you get turnovers... Take a shot downfield after a quick change in possession.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - badmoonrising13 - 09-26-2015 02:44 AM

Boise is no joke. All they do rise to the occasion against top ranked teams, go balls out, and beat them. I'm envious of them.

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - badmoonrising13 - 09-26-2015 02:47 AM

No doubt we have to win out for a chance at the access bowl but we can still an amazing season and bowl game without the win. I'm expecting a heart-breaking defeat...

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - badmoonrising13 - 09-26-2015 02:52 AM

When you are much better than the other team you should play conservatively. But if you're not as talented or close you have to try to seize the momentum by taking calculated chances...

RE: Playing To Win? NIU's Offensive Strategy Versus Ohio State - 17Huskies - 09-26-2015 08:55 AM

(09-24-2015 02:26 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

Ha, that's awkward! But yes...I don't agree with the article, apologies for the dumb comment. I thought it was written by someone at HustleBelt, didn't read the "fanpost" part.