CSNbbs
When will Miami get it turned around? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: When will Miami get it turned around? (/thread-749132.html)

Pages: 1 2

When will Miami get it turned around? - GalliaCat - 09-15-2015 05:54 PM

Unlike a lot of Ohio fans I long for the days when Ohio and Miami would play each other in front of packed arenas in a battle for league supremacy in hoops. Then when Ohio finally starts being competitive in football consistently Miami completely tanks. It also seems like Miami's Olympic sports are even in decline (not hockey).

What in the world is going on? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I'm serious when I asked this and am not just poking at Miami. It use to be one of the premier programs and just seems to be struggling massively to get it turned around.

I went onto Hawktalk and it was downright depressing!

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Love and Honor - 09-15-2015 07:20 PM

(09-15-2015 05:54 PM)GalliaCat Wrote:  Unlike a lot of Ohio fans I long for the days when Ohio and Miami would play each other in front of packed arenas in a battle for league supremacy in hoops. Then when Ohio finally starts being competitive in football consistently Miami completely tanks. It also seems like Miami's Olympic sports are even in decline (not hockey).

What in the world is going on? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I'm serious when I asked this and am not just poking at Miami. It use to be one of the premier programs and just seems to be struggling massively to get it turned around.

Football will make a bowl next year and be a MAC East contender by 2017, mark my words. The infrastructure is soon going to be in place for us to stay towards the top of the MAC for years to come; the IPF is done, the football facility will be done next fall, suites/club area will probably be done by 2017 (timeline uncertain), and our coaching salaries and program budget are among the highest in the MAC. Give Martin time, and even if he leaves after he turns us into a winner there will be structure in place to avoid a Treadwell-like decline.

Olympic sports aren't bad, we won the Jacoby Cup a few years back and we won titles in Men's Golf, Field Hockey, Women's Soccer, and plenty of other Oly sports in the past year or two. I fear that basketball will be a lost cause for a while since I think we underachieve this upcoming season, Cooper is fired, and the next coach will have to replace almost every starter while having to compete with hockey.

Also, if you went to the old Hawk Talk, they replaced it with a new beta version:
http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - GalliaCat - 09-15-2015 08:10 PM

(09-15-2015 07:20 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(09-15-2015 05:54 PM)GalliaCat Wrote:  Unlike a lot of Ohio fans I long for the days when Ohio and Miami would play each other in front of packed arenas in a battle for league supremacy in hoops. Then when Ohio finally starts being competitive in football consistently Miami completely tanks. It also seems like Miami's Olympic sports are even in decline (not hockey).

Football will make a bowl next year and be a MAC East contender by 2017, mark my words. The infrastructure is soon going to be in place for us to stay towards the top of the MAC for years to come; the IPF is done, the football facility will be done next fall, suites/club area will probably be done by 2017 (timeline uncertain), and our coaching salaries and program budget are among the highest in the MAC. Give Martin time, and even if he leaves after he turns us into a winner there will be structure in place to avoid a Treadwell-like decline.

Olympic sports aren't bad, we won the Jacoby Cup a few years back and we won titles in Men's Golf, Field Hockey, Women's Soccer, and plenty of other Oly sports in the past year or two. I fear that basketball will be a lost cause for a while since I think we underachieve this upcoming season, Cooper is fired, and the next coach will have to replace almost every starter while having to compete with hockey.

Also, if you went to the old Hawk Talk, they replaced it with a new beta version:

I will check it out. I may be one of the only Ohio grads that want Miami to return to glory just so I can hate them like I use to in Basketball. Weird I know. Not to mention I'm tired of Marshall being the big game.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - prairiedawg - 09-15-2015 08:12 PM

(09-15-2015 07:20 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Losing that bad to Wisconsin makes me think you are sipping the kool-aid.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - exCincy Kid1 - 09-15-2015 08:19 PM

Actually, our defense actually played pretty well until they wore down with our offense going "3 and out" all the time as well as giving Wisky great field positiion and short fields. (Our special teams were awful BTW). On the offensive line we are very young with many frosh and sophomores in the two deep and 3 of our starters were out injured (2 are back this weekend against UC). We have a new QB and we also threw our frosh Bahl out there as well with predictably poor results.

All that said, I really think Wisky is far stronger up front than any MAC team we'll see from here on out.......we obviously are not going to be a contender in the the conference by any means, but I don't think reaching .500 in MAC play is completely out of reach. I think the upcoming UC and WKU games will be better barometers of how we'll do this year...if we get blown out in both, I'll be the first to admit we aren't where we hoped we'd be this year.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Lord Stanley - 09-16-2015 07:37 AM

I hope Miami turns it around soon. They are a MAC halo school and a great athletic and academic representative of the conference that would be nice to see winning again.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - OUVan - 09-16-2015 09:33 AM

(09-15-2015 08:10 PM)GalliaCat Wrote:  I will check it out. I may be one of the only Ohio grads that want Miami to return to glory just so I can hate them like I use to in Basketball. Weird I know. Not to mention I'm tired of Marshall being the big game.

I would venture a lot more Ohio grads feel that way than you think. I think they'll be back soon enough after finally putting some money back into the program.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - NIU05 - 09-17-2015 05:39 AM

Miami is on its way back. Patience. They have to repair a severely damaged operation and it will not be done over night. Martin's recruiting will payoff.

When will Miami get it turned around? - vannzee - 10-06-2015 02:08 PM

I thought that last year they were on their way again with Martin but that might have had more to do with having a power five transfer at QB than it did a measurable improvement.

The sad part is that those who remember the program's glory days are becoming fewer and far in between and they are fighting a losing battle to gain students affections over spending a Saturday enjoying the great bar scene in Oxford.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - DICK - 10-06-2015 09:17 PM

Saturday would be a good day to turn it around. We did play a very strong 4th quarter last week.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Kittonhead - 10-06-2015 11:34 PM

(10-06-2015 09:17 PM)DICK Wrote:  Saturday would be a good day to turn it around. We did play a very strong 4th quarter last week.

Yeah...Ok...

I listed to Chuck Martin speak and he said that Miami doesn't have enough talent to win without playing a clean game. He means no mistakes for you to have a chance to win.

OU is 4-1. OU has played poorly outside of a couple of halves. Minnesota brought their A game and OU playing OK controlled the entire game against a B1G school.

Why does OU with such crappy play calling and poor execution sit at a 4-1 record? Its called talent. The defense has enough speed that it can win games in the MAC without the offense taking the field.

Then the offense if could execute has enough athleticism to take over a ball game.

Enough athleticism to leap over tackles as shown on this video.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13798376

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - emu steve - 10-07-2015 07:00 AM

(10-06-2015 09:17 PM)DICK Wrote:  Saturday would be a good day to turn it around. We did play a very strong 4th quarter last week.

Miami and EMU play Nov 7. Someone will feel the wind at their backs. :)

EMU has UMass the following Saturday so there are possibilities...

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - DICK - 10-07-2015 09:24 PM

(10-06-2015 11:34 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Yeah...Ok...

I listed to Chuck Martin speak and he said that Miami doesn't have enough talent to win without playing a clean game. He means no mistakes for you to have a chance to win.

OU is 4-1. OU has played poorly outside of a couple of halves. Minnesota brought their A game and OU playing OK controlled the entire game against a B1G school.

Why does OU with such crappy play calling and poor execution sit at a 4-1 record? Its called talent. The defense has enough speed that it can win games in the MAC without the offense taking the field.

Then the offense if could execute has enough athleticism to take over a ball game.

One thing I do not think of when I watch OU is that they are really talented. What I see is an established program, well run, veteran players who have been developing in the same system for several years, used to success. OU schedules for success. They can take advantage of mistakes an opponent makes and in turn make few errors themselves. I just don't see a bunch of really highly talented players.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Gallia Cat - 10-10-2015 07:05 PM

After watching Miami today I really not sure what to think. They are just not very good and I find it hard to believe they are only a year away from becoming bowl eligible.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - huskie1stdown - 10-10-2015 10:44 PM

They do play a lot of young players.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Love and Honor - 10-11-2015 10:51 AM

We have 64 freshman or RS freshman on roster now. It's not an excuse as to why we suck so much, but with how bad we've been for so long now, waiting another year or two for them to properly develop is somewhat tolerable if the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is there. I think last year's team improved so much (relatively speaking) because we actually had in-game coaching that was nonexistent under Treadwell, Hendrix did a great job at QB considering the team around him, and we had an NFL-caliber shutdown corner. Those last two are gone and the rest of the MAC has clearly improved, so while our team has a lot more raw talent now, it just won't translate to wins yet. Not many people realize how barren our roster was as a result of 2013, and we've just gotta wait.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - Kittonhead - 10-12-2015 04:09 AM

(10-07-2015 09:24 PM)DICK Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 11:34 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Yeah...Ok...

One thing I do not think of when I watch OU is that they are really talented. What I see is an established program, well run, veteran players who have been developing in the same system for several years, used to success. OU schedules for success. They can take advantage of mistakes an opponent makes and in turn make few errors themselves. I just don't see a bunch of really highly talented players.

That is what some people think because Solich has been in Athens for a decade but the truth is Ohio is using a lot of young talent to produce.

Rushing Yards vs. Miami
Maleek Irons (Freshman) 49 Yards
Dorian Brown (Sophomore) 44 Yards
Daz'mond Patterson (Senior) 35 Yards
A.J. Ouelette (Sophomore) 17 Yards

Receiving Yards vs. Miami
Sebastian Smith (Junior) 91 Yards
Papi White (Freshman) 75 Yards
Robbie Walker (Sophomore) 28 Yards
Maleek Irons (Freshman) 26 Yards

It's mostly Freshman and Sophomores taking the lead in Athens right now. The program Solich built isn't going anywhere.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - DICK - 10-14-2015 03:45 PM

I would just say that I had no idea before the game that Coach Martin was going to start true freshman Billy Bahl, who so far as mostly shown that the game is too fast for him, that he isn't ready yet. He does have a big body and a strong NFL type arm, Martin starting him on Saturday was an admission that we were not going to be good enough to win much with 5th year Senior Kummer and he might as well work on developing Bahl and other freshmen, perhaps looking at OU, NIU, and WM as games we were not going to be good enough to win anyway. Maybe Bahl will start to adjust to the college game and we will do some damage in our final four games of the year vs lower level MAC talent.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - exCincy Kid1 - 10-14-2015 04:00 PM

Unfortunatey, Dick, for the most part we are the "lower level MAC talent", as least for the moment.

RE: When will Miami get it turned around? - BruceMcF - 10-18-2015 07:31 AM

(10-14-2015 04:00 PM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  Unfortunatey, Dick, for the most part we are the "lower level MAC talent", as least for the moment.
I'm looking at the Kent State schedule and wondering how they can parlay it into a bowl eligible season ... and that's with the Redhawks win already on the books.

So the prepare to try to beat the "lesser MAC talent" doesn't seem likely to have a lot of hope for success for my alma mater, after already losing to the "lesser MAC talent" they've already played ... but I guess a slender hope is better than none.