CSNbbs
Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? (/thread-748120.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - Bathtub Gin - 09-08-2015 09:43 PM

Seems kinda silly here in the south not to have a real grass field. Even ole miss is going back to grass after this season.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - georgiatiger - 09-08-2015 09:45 PM

Money is my best guess.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - macgar32 - 09-08-2015 10:00 PM

I am sure turf is cheaper and turf looks better but is there truely that big of a difference with the latest field turf technology

Re: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - shere khan - 09-08-2015 10:09 PM

The city is to dumb to grow grass? I have a zip lock bag of turf from the win over the vols if they ever wanna clone it and bring it back to original glory

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - georgiatiger - 09-08-2015 10:32 PM

(09-08-2015 10:09 PM)shere khan Wrote:  The city is to dumb to grow grass? I have a zip lock bag of turf from the win over the vols if they ever wanna clone it and bring it back to original glory

The grass at FedEx Park looks beautiful. Pro like grass. I would imagine pulling that off at LBS (for football) would take a LOT of money. If we had BCS $$ to contribute, who knows? Tiger Lane and possible expansion mean we ARE taking steps.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - UofMark - 09-08-2015 11:21 PM

By the time the Liberty Bowl game got around they had to paint the dead grass green. I remember those late November games of years past on the brown field. Lord help us if there was a heavy rain during the game. Even many of the Memphis area high schools have gone to the 'fake' turf fields the past few seasons.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - geosnooker2000 - 09-08-2015 11:31 PM

(09-08-2015 11:21 PM)UofMark Wrote:  By the time the Liberty Bowl game got around they had to paint the dead grass green. I remember those late November games of years past on the brown field. Lord help us if there was a heavy rain during the game. Even many of the Memphis area high schools have gone to the 'fake' turf fields the past few seasons.

They should make the field turf Bent Grass. 03-lmfao

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - OneShiningMoment - 09-08-2015 11:53 PM

•Lower maintenance costs.
•Pesticide-free. Unlike natural grass, artificial turf doesn't require treatment with pesticides and fertilizers
•Artificial turf fields are much more durable than grass; one game on a muddy field can ruin the field for the rest of the season.
•Drainage in the Liberty Bowl was very bad. Used to, after a hard rain, there would be big water puddles along the sidelines and end zones.
•Grass gets torn up over time with play, twisted ankles can occur from uneven playing surface and slips in the mud from rain.
•Saves water. An average grass playing field uses about 50,000 gallons of water per week during the growing season. Not to mention due to budget cut, maintenance such as cutting and watering fields around the city has become almost non-existence in the park commission

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - mairving - 09-09-2015 06:02 AM

I thought it was after a rock concert. Some of the hippies reseeded the field with some special grass.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - Tygrys - 09-09-2015 07:31 AM

It seems the general trend for all levels of football high school and beyond is toward turf and away from natural grass.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - KendallC - 09-09-2015 08:32 AM

It's not FieldTurf but actual Astroturf right? I'm sure it's not the same kind of Astroturf that they used back in the day, correct?

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - ksigtigerdood - 09-09-2015 08:36 AM

A few years ago, everyone was going to turf. Now, it seems like it's the opposite. But, I agree that it will be difficult to maintain grass into late December. Other than the heat aspect, turf seems like the best option.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - ummechengr - 09-09-2015 08:46 AM

I always heard that after the 2003 New Orleans Bowl, DeAngelo commented on liking the turf in the Super Dome......we installed the same brand the next year (or so the story goes).

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - 3601 - 09-09-2015 08:53 AM

(09-09-2015 08:46 AM)ummechengr Wrote:  I always heard that after the 2003 New Orleans Bowl, DeAngelo commented on liking the turf in the Super Dome......we installed the same brand the next year (or so the story goes).

He didn't play in that game. Sounds like a good rumor.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - tigerlands - 09-09-2015 09:03 AM

(09-08-2015 09:43 PM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Seems kinda silly here in the south not to have a real grass field. Even ole miss is going back to grass after this season.

So your saying ole miss field turf installed also? Why did they do it? The same as 90% of stadiums. Everybody had it put in. The wear and tear of six to ten games a year was too much.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - fsquid - 09-09-2015 09:33 AM

city is cash strapped, no? Sounds like turf is pretty smart.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - ummechengr - 09-09-2015 09:46 AM

(09-09-2015 08:53 AM)3601 Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 08:46 AM)ummechengr Wrote:  I always heard that after the 2003 New Orleans Bowl, DeAngelo commented on liking the turf in the Super Dome......we installed the same brand the next year (or so the story goes).

He didn't play in that game. Sounds like a good rumor.

Maybe it was after that year's Tulane game....

I agree, completely unfounded, but fun Tiger lore urban legend.

I also like the one about the Blue Crew throwing 'sugar packets' at that diabetic player.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - salukiblue - 09-09-2015 10:04 AM

Pretty simple..you can't grow grass that is green in August that is also green in November.

The field looks like ass on TV in November when the grass is brown.

Same for the bowl game.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - 3601 - 09-09-2015 10:56 AM

(09-09-2015 10:04 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Pretty simple..you can't grow grass that is green in August that is also green in November.

The field looks like ass on TV in November when the grass is brown.

Same for the bowl game.

Overseeding with rye is an option. However, I think the decision was based mainly on money and maintenance.

RE: Why did the LBMS decide to go with turf over grass? - oruvoice - 09-09-2015 11:07 AM

(09-09-2015 06:02 AM)mairving Wrote:  I thought it was after a rock concert. Some of the hippies reseeded the field with some special grass.

It's a hybrid. A cross between Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff.