CSNbbs
San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment (/thread-748004.html)

Pages: 1 2

San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Marge Schott - 09-08-2015 04:13 AM

I've seen several on the College/Realignment board suggest season-long suspensions or even permanent banishment from high school athletics.

Others have even said it's a criminal offense. Per law, it's a felony if the court finds the "helmet" to be a weapon.

I agreed with the majority of the sentiment. These kids SHOULD be punished. They NEED to be punished.

But Greg Hardy* was suspended 15 games WITH PAY for 2014. He was then suspended an additional 4 games for 2015 (after a 10-gam suspension was reduced). I assume this 4-game suspension is without pay. This was for domestic abuse.

Adrian Peterson* was suspended (at least) 6 games without pay for beating his child (photos available) and after one of his children was beaten to death by a girlfriend's boyfriend a year or two earlier. He may have been suspended with pay for up to 9 games in 2014 (I can't seem to find clarification on this).

Ray Rice* appears to have lost his 2014 salary for beating his girlfriend/fiancee unconscious on an elevator (with video evidence).

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID, should these teenagers be punished as harshly as these grown men making millions of dollars, who are - whether they like it or not - role models for others? Should these children be punished MULTIPLE high school seasons when it appears these professional athletes were NOT? Why should these high school athletes be criminally prosecuted as adults for felonies when these professional athletes skated?

My opinion: Should these kids be punished? ABSO-F'ING-LUTELY. Should they go to jail? Maybe. Do I want them to go to jail? No. Because teenagers shouldn't be prosecuted, judged or sentenced more harshly than millionaire grown men.

And like it or not, things that happen during competition shouldn't be weighted as severely as things that happen OFF THE FIELD. Emotions are high and hormones get riled. That's not an excuse for inappropriate behavior, but it's definitely a reason for why on-playing area "infractions" shouldn't be treated as seriously as off-playing area "infractions".

Would I be alright with them being suspended for the remainder of the season? Yes. (I believe that's already happened, but not positive.) I'm just not in approval of a harsher punishment given the punishment of these NFL players. It

*It's a bit of a P.I.T.A. to find exact details on their suspensions and with/without pay confirmations. So these are what I could find from standard google searches. If this information is incorrect, please provide links and correct me.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - CardFan1 - 09-08-2015 04:53 AM

#REFLIVESMATTER

Total disregard for Civil and Sportsmanship Laws and Rules. Those two should never be allowed to get a college scholarship to reward Their outright arrogance and stupidity. They could have paralyzed that Ref with those vicious hits to His back. Someone else probably was also aware of what They were about to do. Hope the Fathers punish Them also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3224376/Two-Texas-high-school-football-players-suspended-extremely-disturbing-video-shows-tackle-referee-diving-ground.html

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - Wilkie01 - 09-08-2015 06:38 AM

AhhhhEpic Mind Blown

[Image: 41wYM8hcD0L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: punish240.jpg]

[Image: stock-vector-yellow-emoticon-telling-a-s...500808.jpg]

[Image: cc45c01f3f.gif]

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - milerock - 09-08-2015 11:13 AM

These 2 should never play another down of football anywhere anytime...

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - Marge Schott - 09-08-2015 01:43 PM

(09-08-2015 04:53 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  #REFLIVESMATTER

Total disregard for Civil and Sportsmanship Laws and Rules. Those two should never be allowed to get a college scholarship to reward Their outright arrogance and stupidity. They could have paralyzed that Ref with those vicious hits to His back. Someone else probably was also aware of what They were about to do. Hope the Fathers punish Them also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3224376/Two-Texas-high-school-football-players-suspended-extremely-disturbing-video-shows-tackle-referee-diving-ground.html

(09-08-2015 11:13 AM)milerock Wrote:  These 2 should never play another down of football anywhere anytime...

But it's ok to reward grown men with multi-million dollar contracts after beating women and children?

These kids should receive stricter punishments than NFL athletes?

Amazing the failure by most to see the disconnect.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - HRFlossY - 09-08-2015 01:54 PM

I would need to now more about the situation to punish accordingly. Were they told to or incentivized to do this by a parent or coach..?? I hate not knowing all the facts first, before I decide anything.
FLossY Out...04-wine

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - CardinalZen - 09-08-2015 02:15 PM

Assault and battery charges.

Their crime was outside of football. Society must see that justice is done. The football authorities can decide the punishment in that realm.

And I don't think there is any evidence of them being punished more than NFL players until I've seen similar actions by NFL players. Can anyone recall any incidents like this in the NFL? Or even college? This case is the only one that I can remember in all of football.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - Kaplony - 09-08-2015 02:31 PM

Just because the NFL has an asinine disciplinary system doesn't mean that everybody should.

These two kids should be punished for this assault just as severely as they would be if they had attacked that ref on the street. If their coach were worth a damn they would never wear that uniform again.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment? - ACCardinal - 09-08-2015 04:01 PM

"These kids should receive stricter punishments than NFL athletes?
Amazing the failure by most to see the disconnect."

These kids should get punished regardless of what the NFL does. Isn't it time to make an example out of this kind of behavior? No more excuses.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Marge Schott - 09-08-2015 04:11 PM

LOL

Amazing.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - RedGrad - 09-08-2015 08:38 PM

(09-08-2015 04:13 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I've seen several on the College/Realignment board suggest season-long suspensions or even permanent banishment from high school athletics.

Others have even said it's a criminal offense. Per law, it's a felony if the court finds the "helmet" to be a weapon.

I agreed with the majority of the sentiment. These kids SHOULD be punished. They NEED to be punished.

But Greg Hardy* was suspended 15 games WITH PAY for 2014. He was then suspended an additional 4 games for 2015 (after a 10-gam suspension was reduced). I assume this 4-game suspension is without pay. This was for domestic abuse.

Adrian Peterson* was suspended (at least) 6 games without pay for beating his child (photos available) and after one of his children was beaten to death by a girlfriend's boyfriend a year or two earlier. He may have been suspended with pay for up to 9 games in 2014 (I can't seem to find clarification on this).

Ray Rice* appears to have lost his 2014 salary for beating his girlfriend/fiancee unconscious on an elevator (with video evidence).

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID, should these teenagers be punished as harshly as these grown men making millions of dollars, who are - whether they like it or not - role models for others? Should these children be punished MULTIPLE high school seasons when it appears these professional athletes were NOT? Why should these high school athletes be criminally prosecuted as adults for felonies when these professional athletes skated?

My opinion: Should these kids be punished? ABSO-F'ING-LUTELY. Should they go to jail? Maybe. Do I want them to go to jail? No. Because teenagers shouldn't be prosecuted, judged or sentenced more harshly than millionaire grown men.

And like it or not, things that happen during competition shouldn't be weighted as severely as things that happen OFF THE FIELD. Emotions are high and hormones get riled. That's not an excuse for inappropriate behavior, but it's definitely a reason for why on-playing area "infractions" shouldn't be treated as seriously as off-playing area "infractions".

Would I be alright with them being suspended for the remainder of the season? Yes. (I believe that's already happened, but not positive.) I'm just not in approval of a harsher punishment given the punishment of these NFL players. It

*It's a bit of a P.I.T.A. to find exact details on their suspensions and with/without pay confirmations. So these are what I could find from standard google searches. If this information is incorrect, please provide links and correct me.

Great piece but I think you've got it inside out on this one. It's because this assault took place on the field itself as a result of elements in the game that make this so heinous. What someone does off the field in their private life is punishable by law and of course should be acted on by the NFL or NCAA where necessary but this is entirely different. Such behavior if not given death penalty consequences threatens the game itself. This should be weighted with heavier consequences than behavior off the field by the games authorities because its occurrence was a direct result of the game itself. They should be declared ineligible to ever play high school athletics in TX ever again and the school should be forced to forfeit the game if they won.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Wolfman - 09-09-2015 06:45 AM

Salary of the players is not relevant. I'm not buying the "heat of the moment" defense. There were plenty of of the kids there who didn't attack the ref.

As a society we do treat youths differently. Based on their history, it is possible that they may be treated as adults in this case. There are still many details to be discovered. Do the kids have a history of violence? Do the coaches have a history of a lack of control? Did the coaches influence their decision to attack the ref?

None of these details would excuse their behavior. However, they might lessen or worsen their punishment.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - CardFan1 - 09-09-2015 08:09 AM

(09-08-2015 08:38 PM)RedGrad Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 04:13 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I've seen several on the College/Realignment board suggest season-long suspensions or even permanent banishment from high school athletics.

Great piece but I think you've got it inside out on this one. It's because this assault took place on the field itself as a result of elements in the game that make this so heinous. What someone does off the field in their private life is punishable by law and of course should be acted on by the NFL or NCAA where necessary but this is entirely different. Such behavior if not given death penalty consequences threatens the game itself. This should be weighted with heavier consequences than behavior off the field by the games authorities because its occurrence was a direct result of the game itself. They should be declared ineligible to ever play high school athletics in TX ever again and the school should be forced to forfeit the game if they won.

Nor College or Professional .......Ever ! Barred for life.03-nutkick

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Wilkie01 - 09-09-2015 08:48 AM

Should they be held accountable, yes. But should we be trying to ruin their lives forever, or should we being trying to help correct their rash behavior instead? Sounds like a mob wanting blood in this post to me.

John 8:7:
[Image: 700_jesus_cast_stone.jpg]

[Image: lev24.jpg?w=629&h=340]

07-coffee3

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - TerryD - 09-09-2015 01:21 PM

They should be kicked off the football team and the D.A. should press criminal charges against them.

They likely won't get any jail time but what they did was a battery on that official. It was a criminal act.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Hokie Mark - 09-09-2015 01:41 PM

(09-09-2015 01:21 PM)TerryD Wrote:  They should be kicked off the football team and the D.A. should press criminal charges against them.

They likely won't get any jail time but what they did was a battery on that official. It was a criminal act.

The motto of the young generation?

Quote:Hey man you talkin' back to me? Take him out!
You gotta keep 'em separated
Hey man you disrespecting me? Take him out!
Hey don't pay no mind...
You're under 18 you won't be doing any time!
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/offspring/comeoutandplay.html

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - CardFan1 - 09-10-2015 11:28 AM

(09-09-2015 01:41 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 01:21 PM)TerryD Wrote:  They should be kicked off the football team and the D.A. should press criminal charges against them.

The motto of the young generation?

Quote:Hey man you talkin' back to me? Take him out!
Hey man you disrespecting me? Take him out!
Hey don't pay no mind...
You're under 18 you won't be doing any time!
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/offspring/comeoutandplay.html

Oh now They are harmless like this Bunny !

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Wilkie01 - 09-10-2015 11:32 AM

05-nono They deserve to be suspend for the season and even made to do community service.. But how would giving them a criminal record for a heat of the moment Adrenalin rush make the world a better place? 07-coffee3

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - ken d - 09-10-2015 12:50 PM

(09-10-2015 11:32 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  05-nono They deserve to be suspend for the season and even made to do community service.. But how would giving them a criminal record for a heat of the moment Adrenalin rush make the world a better place? 07-coffee3

I agree with all but the idea that this was "heat of the moment". That hasn't been clearly established, and a lot of the evidence (as reported, not confirmed) suggests it wasn't. The video evidence strongly suggests it wasn't.

There was absolutely no excuse for what they did, and for that they should face harsh consequences. But if we gave a criminal record to every teenager who did something incredibly stupid and inexcusable, we'd ruin a lot of lives and accomplish nothing.

RE: San Antonio Area High School Football Players: Punishment - Wilkie01 - 09-10-2015 01:49 PM

And that is my point as well. Many on here are for getting that they were young once and that they were also young dumb and full of *** (come)! 07-coffee3