CSNbbs
ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay (/thread-744811.html)

Pages: 1 2

ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - chihuskie - 08-10-2015 09:46 AM

Per HuskieWire, we have a new motto: Only Now Exists

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080915aac.html

I like it! It is absolutely on target. I am VERY glad to see this new motto - for many reasons.

And, no, Blondie was not one of them, but now it is.

#OneWay

“Only Now Exists, #ONEWay, is kind of like ‘The Hard Way’, which we’ve had around here for a long time,” he [Carey] explained. “It means not looking ahead and not looking back. For camp, it means you’ve got to concentrate on the smallest details, every day, every meeting, every practice, every rep. That’s how you build something.”

https://youtu.be/1VFuHj9_Tgw

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - sarasotahuskie - 08-10-2015 12:36 PM

I guess it's OK. Just don't want Carey to get too PJesque.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - chihuskie - 08-10-2015 12:48 PM

I thought "The Hard Way"was fine - especially internally. But I wasn't too comfortable with how it played in a recruit's living room. It would be something like this, "Come play with us, kid. We do things 'The Hard Way.'"

That, I think, may turn off some kids. They may start thinking, what does that mean? ... Without getting too much into whether that's a good or a bad thing, I just think the message embedded in this one is a good one.

This one let's you argue to recruits to not look at the past (i.e., football history of other schools) because only the present counts. And you (recruit) can make your own present with us! For you, only NOW exists.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - MaddDawgz02 - 08-10-2015 03:40 PM

(08-10-2015 09:46 AM)chihuskie Wrote:  Per HuskieWire, we have a new motto: Only Now Exists

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080915aac.html

I like it! It is absolutely on target. I am VERY glad to see this new motto - for many reasons.

Maybe this is code for "Tears will not be redshirting, seize the day!"

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - GCD70 - 08-10-2015 04:11 PM

(08-10-2015 12:48 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  I thought "The Hard Way"was fine - especially internally. But I wasn't too comfortable with how it played in a recruit's living room. It would be something like this, "Come play with us, kid. We do things 'The Hard Way.'"

That, I think, may turn off some kids. They may start thinking, what does that mean? ... Without getting too much into whether that's a good or a bad thing, I just think the message embedded in this one is a good one.

This one let's you argue to recruits to not look at the past (i.e., football history of other schools) because only the present counts. And you (recruit) can make your own present with us! For you, only NOW exists.

i wish we would have branded the hard way. i think it captures the essence of the program

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - PersonWithAClue - 08-10-2015 07:54 PM

(08-10-2015 12:48 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  I thought "The Hard Way"was fine - especially internally. But I wasn't too comfortable with how it played in a recruit's living room. It would be something like this, "Come play with us, kid. We do things 'The Hard Way.'"

I totally agree, I think "the hard way" sends a very mixed message that certainly can me misinterpreted. I think the new terms plays much better for a team motto and gets the point across that you must focus on the little things in front of you in the moment to really accomplish goals.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - HuskieJWN - 08-10-2015 08:21 PM

This motto is for just one year. Happens a lot.

Few years back it was "Unfinished Business". They always keep the Hard Way.

If you think Hard Way sends mixed message you probably think people are overnight successes as well. Instant gratification is ridiculous. Any serious football player that wants to be good knows he has to put in the work.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - murph83 - 08-10-2015 08:34 PM

ONE Way is great, but never retire The Hard Way. It should be the permanent mantra.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - prairiedawg - 08-10-2015 08:37 PM

This program has gotten to this point for all of us by doing it The Hard Way.

End o' subject.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - Skinut - 08-10-2015 09:40 PM

Fell in love with her that night on the Midnight Special. I was about 16 and she about 26. . .all worked in my head.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - armour248 - 08-10-2015 09:42 PM

(08-10-2015 08:21 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  This motto is for just one year. Happens a lot.

If you think Hard Way sends mixed message you probably think people are overnight successes as well. Instant gratification is ridiculous. Any serious football player that wants to be good knows he has to put in the work.

The Hard Way has definitely been the motto for a lot longer than most people are aware. I'm not sure what is confusing or negative about it. It really defines the program pretty well and is a great motivator.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - The Frisky Biscuit - 08-10-2015 11:59 PM

(08-10-2015 12:36 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  I guess it's OK. Just don't want Carey to get too PJesque.

Beckman makes PJ look quite sane.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - DiehardHuskie - 08-11-2015 06:51 AM

(08-10-2015 08:34 PM)murph83 Wrote:  ONE Way is great, but never retire The Hard Way. It should be the permanent mantra.

+1.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - DogPoundNorth - 08-11-2015 07:55 AM

(08-11-2015 06:51 AM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 08:34 PM)murph83 Wrote:  ONE Way is great, but never retire The Hard Way. It should be the permanent mantra.

+1.

Judging by the pictures that NIU football posted showing three freshmen earning their numbers (DJ Brown, Marcus Jones, and Jeff Hill Jr.) yesterday, "The Hard Way" is still a very prominent part of the Football team.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - HuskieRak - 08-11-2015 09:00 AM

Not as catchy but I like the motto #DontLose ... really gets the point across.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - BarsemaBone2 - 08-11-2015 09:01 AM

From what I've seen, it appears that One Way is more of a season specific motto, whereas The Hard Way, remains the overall motto of the team.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - sarasotahuskie - 08-11-2015 10:16 AM

(08-10-2015 09:42 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 08:21 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  This motto is for just one year. Happens a lot.

The Hard Way has definitely been the motto for a lot longer than most people are aware. I'm not sure what is confusing or negative about it. It really defines the program pretty well and is a great motivator.
Listen to Dog Fan say The Hard Way and you'll understand.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - GCD70 - 08-11-2015 10:21 AM

(08-11-2015 10:16 AM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

I guess I am partial to the hard way because in my yrs at NIU most of us were first generation college students. Our parents didn't take us on weekend college tours when we were seniors in high school. They had no idea about college. Thus, I think our appreciation was deeper

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - sarasotahuskie - 08-11-2015 10:29 AM

(08-11-2015 10:21 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 10:16 AM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

I guess I am partial to the hard way because in my yrs at NIU most of us were first generation college students. Our parents didn't take us on weekend college tours when we were seniors in high school. They had no idea about college. Thus, I think our appreciation was deeper
I definitely appreciate The Hard Way being totally appropriate for NIU. If recruits think that it sounds like they will have to work too hard, then they don't belong with the Huskies.

RE: ONE (Only Now Exists!) #ONEWay - MaddDawgz02 - 08-11-2015 10:31 AM

(08-10-2015 11:59 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 12:36 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  I guess it's OK. Just don't want Carey to get too PJesque.

Beckman makes PJ look quite sane.

Under Beckman the team slogan was "What Happened"