CSNbbs
BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 (/thread-744423.html)

BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Redwingtom - 08-05-2015 12:03 PM

He put on his coat for the last time.
[Image: Ex-BG-coach-more-than-colorful-coats.jpg]

I had the fortunate experience of having Coach Weinert for a couple of summer basketball camps at BG when I was young. He was a great guy and will be missed.

BGSU Athletics Mourns the Passing of Coach John Weinert

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Boca Rocket - 08-05-2015 12:16 PM

Those were some fun games in Anderson Arena and Savage Hall. Coach Weinert always had the Falcons up for the Rockets. Condolences to Coach Weinert's family and Falcon fans.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - H2Oville Rocket - 08-05-2015 12:18 PM

(08-05-2015 12:03 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  He put on his coat for the last time.
[Image: Ex-BG-coach-more-than-colorful-coats.jpg]

I had the fortunate experience of having Coach Weinert for a couple of summer basketball camps at BG when I was young. He was a great guy and will be missed.

BGSU Athletics Mourns the Passing of Coach John Weinert

Always entertaining to watch. He was BG's coach when I was in school. I still remember his "the knife is still in the body" comment after Bob Conroy stripped Jeff Montgomery of the ball and passed to Mike Larsen, IIRC, for the last second winning hoop at BG one year. Weinert turned brighter colors than his famous sport coats. He was a character but he could coach.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Redwingtom - 08-05-2015 12:49 PM

...and recruit.

I don't think BG, outside of a couple guys, has since come anywhere close to the talent that Weinert (and Charlie Parker) brought to BG.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - emu steve - 08-05-2015 05:12 PM

Can't say I remember him, but I remember those 70s clothes...

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Nick in Cleveland - 08-06-2015 11:35 AM

I really liked Coach Weinert and fondly remember his teams in that era going up against Toledo, Miami, Ohio U, Ball State and Central along with other top MAC b-ball programs during those years.

I had an uncle who lived in BG who was friends with him. He was a colorful guy and one of the under-appreciated quality coaches in this league.

His "Herb Tarlec" clothing was priceless.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - niu79 - 08-06-2015 03:10 PM

I remember him coming to DeKalb with BG in the late 70's. Can someone refresh me on the story of his coat. Being as its been almost 40 years I vaguely recall the story behind it.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - Redwingtom - 08-10-2015 10:10 AM

(08-06-2015 03:10 PM)niu79 Wrote:  I remember him coming to DeKalb with BG in the late 70's. Can someone refresh me on the story of his coat. Being as its been almost 40 years I vaguely recall the story behind it.

He would remove his sport coat at the start of each game...and when he felt the game was in hand for a victory he would then don the coat. The crowd would chant "COAT...COAT...COAT" and then cheer wildly when he put it on.

RE: BGSU Legendary Coach John Weinert Dies at 83 - FMRocket - 08-10-2015 11:41 AM

A colorful individual, and also a very good coach !!
R.I.P.