CSNbbs
Promotion/Relegation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Promotion/Relegation (/thread-744140.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 04:39 PM

So if college athletics did a Promotion/Relegation model like Barclay's Premier league what schools would be in danger of relegation? (football only)

I'd say the list would look something like this:
Washington St
Wake Forest
Kansas
Virginia
Rutgers
Vandy
Colorado
Illinois
Purdue

no particular order...but off the top of my head, if there were two programs relegated, I bet the two programs would come from this list.

Promotion/Relegation - owl at the moon - 08-01-2015 05:01 PM

I like it.
Access Bowl team gets a golden ticket if they win the bowl.
Oh, look - they'll be matching up better opponents for the G5 rep in the bowl each year!!
So Boise would be P5 this year and Uconn drops to FCS for losing to SMU in the #%~€ bowl?

RE: Promotion/Relegation - SuperFlyBCat - 08-01-2015 05:29 PM

(08-01-2015 04:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  So if college athletics did a Promotion/Relegation model like Barclay's Premier league what schools would be in danger of relegation? (football only)

Washington St
Wake Forest
Kansas
Virginia
Rutgers
Vandy
Colorado
Illinois
Purdue

no particular order...but off the top of my head, if there were two programs relegated, I bet the two programs would come from this list.

Indiana has been to 1 bowl in the last 21 years, maybe 22. All of those teams have done some decent work here and there. Moot point anyway.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - krup - 08-01-2015 05:59 PM

(08-01-2015 04:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  So if college athletics did a Promotion/Relegation model like Barclay's Premier league what schools would be in danger of relegation? (football only)

Washington St
Wake Forest
Kansas
Virginia
Rutgers
Vandy
Colorado
Illinois
Purdue

Evidently the butthurt over Rutgers (9 bowl games in 10 years) getting a P5 spot while Cincinnati is in the wilderness is still strong with some people.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - SuperFlyBCat - 08-01-2015 06:21 PM

(08-01-2015 05:59 PM)krup Wrote:  

Washington St
Wake Forest
Kansas
Virginia
Rutgers
Vandy
Colorado
Illinois
Purdue

Evidently the butthurt over Rutgers (9 bowl games in 10 years) getting a P5 spot while Cincinnati is in the wilderness is still strong with some people.

Troll bait more or less.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-01-2015 06:35 PM

The whole promotion/relegation thing is so strange to me. It is a European construct it would not work here. All of those European soccer teams that are being promoted and/or relegated are professional teams. Are we willing to do that?

I understand why people who are on the wrong side of the power five divide like to fantasize about things like this. However, the only real impact it would have on anything is it would incentivize cheating tenfold.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Groo - 08-01-2015 06:36 PM

This is how I see the OP.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Hopeful - 08-01-2015 07:08 PM

(08-01-2015 06:35 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  The whole promotion/relegation thing is so strange to me. It is a European construct it would not work here. All of those European soccer teams that are being promoted and/or relegated are professional teams. Are we willing to do that?

I understand why people who are on the wrong side of the power five divide like to fantasize about things like this. However, the only real impact it would have on anything is it would incentivize cheating tenfold.

It's good stuff. The intent is really to have an incentive for teams at the bottom of the standings to not straight up give up, and it does make for some entertaining games when a club is in danger.

That said, relegation just wouldn't work for college sports for a multitude of reasons and it's just contrary to what college athletics is supposed to be.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - 58-56 - 08-01-2015 07:14 PM

(08-01-2015 07:08 PM)Hopeful Wrote:  it's just contrary to what college athletics is supposed to be.

That applies to every aspect of modern college athletics.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 07:20 PM

oh look, KU and Rutgers fans with snarky comments....didn't see that coming.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - jaredf29 - 08-01-2015 07:20 PM

College football isn't about competition it's about money under the aforementioned guise. It's not about what's right it's a good ol boy system. Once you're in the club you're welcomed as a member but if you're on the outside you'll fight a statistical impossibility to get anything other than an access bowl. Does anyone think that the tcu that won the rose bowl would've been in the playoff had there been one back then? What about the Utah team that beat Alabama? I think the answer more often than not would be no.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 07:21 PM

(08-01-2015 05:29 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Washington St
Wake Forest
Kansas
Virginia
Rutgers
Vandy
Colorado
Illinois
Purdue

Indiana has been to 1 bowl in the last 21 years, maybe 22. All of those teams have done some decent work here and there. Moot point anyway.

yup...good call on Indiana

yes...moot, but something to talk about anyway.

Not troll bait....just thought it would be a compelling discussion. It would be great to see some of these P5 dregs actually have to do something or lose their spot at the big boy table. It would be equally great to see some little guys who do a lot with a little get the call up. Why that isn't a worthy discussion, I don't know.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Groo - 08-01-2015 07:34 PM

(08-01-2015 07:20 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  oh look, KU and Rutgers fans with snarky comments....didn't see that coming.

Try spending a few decades in the same conference with Oklahoma and Nebraska then get back to me. Tradition outweighs your sense of entitlement. Wah, Wah, Wah.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 07:40 PM

(08-01-2015 07:34 PM)Groo Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 07:20 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  oh look, KU and Rutgers fans with snarky comments....didn't see that coming.

Try spending a few decades in the same conference with Oklahoma and Nebraska then get back to me. Tradition outweighs your sense of entitlement. Wah, Wah, Wah.

yeah...not so much the losses to OU or Texas being the issue...it's the losses to everyone else.

In the last five years you lost to Rice, North Dakota State, Southern Miss, etc. (Barely beat Southeast Missouri State and La.Tech)...It's really THOSE losses I'm talking about.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Go College Sports - 08-01-2015 07:58 PM

(08-01-2015 07:20 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  College football isn't about competition it's about money under the aforementioned guise. It's not about what's right it's a good ol boy system. Once you're in the club you're welcomed as a member but if you're on the outside you'll fight a statistical impossibility to get anything other than an access bowl. Does anyone think that the tcu that won the rose bowl would've been in the playoff had there been one back then? What about the Utah team that beat Alabama? I think the answer more often than not would be no.

We need to give I-AA, DII, and DIII an honest shot in the interest of fairness.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Groo - 08-01-2015 08:00 PM

(08-01-2015 07:40 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

yeah...not so much the losses to OU or Texas being the issue...it's the losses to everyone else.

In the last five years you lost to Rice, North Dakota State, Southern Miss, etc. (Barely beat Southeast Missouri State and La.Tech)...It's really THOSE losses I'm talking about.

Eh, all kinds of flukes are bound to happen when you have been in the same conference since 1907.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 08:44 PM

(08-01-2015 08:00 PM)Groo Wrote:  

Eh, all kinds of flukes are bound to happen when you have been in the same conference since 1907.

fair enough

thank you for not pointing out UC's bad losses since 2010 ;-)

I can see KU to the B1G BTW....not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - NestaKnight1 - 08-01-2015 08:46 PM

More like all kinds of losses are bound to happen if you're playing for KU. Newsflash Einstein, KU football is an embarrassment! The only "tradition" Kansas football has is losing. Take your whiny rationalization elsewhere. If KU were playing in the AAC they would still be a loser in football. KU footballs ongoing football slogan should be "sucking in football since 1907." Wah, wah, wah, we've gotta play Nebraska and OU, wah, wah, wah.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - Bearcats#1 - 08-01-2015 08:47 PM

(08-01-2015 08:46 PM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  

More like all kinds of losses are bound to happen if you're playing for KU. Newsflash Einstein, KU football is an embarrassment! The only "tradition" Kansas football has is losing. Take your whiny rationalization elsewhere. If KU were playing in the AAC they would still be a loser in football. KU footballs ongoing football slogan should be "sucking in football since 1907." Wah, wah, wah, we've gotta play Nebraska and OU, wah, wah, wah.

whoa whoa whoa....what the

RE: Promotion/Relegation - krup - 08-01-2015 08:51 PM

So it's snarky to point out the idiocy of someone calling Rutgers, a team that went 5-5 against P5 teams last year, one of the worst P5 teams?