CSNbbs
What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+----- Forum: MAC Smack Talk (/forum-471.html)
+----- Thread: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? (/thread-743378.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Big_Man - 07-26-2015 10:04 PM

I meant 15 people. Not 15K.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - toddjnsn - 07-27-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:A commissioner would have the power to kick out a school if the bylaws of that conference stated that member schools had to uphold a level of attendance and competitiveness. Dont believe me? Ask Temple.

Then when the Big East->AAC went downhill (like CUSA has), they took Temple back, even though Temple never even became MAC East champs. BUT their competitiveness did get better and in the end became at least competing for the top of the MAC East, even though they would have fared worse in the MAC West. It's safe to say not much of their attendance (tho not bad compared to other MAC teams).

Being a competitive MAC East team and getting about 15-20k fans a home game playing conference games -- if that was the "bar" to enter, then there wouldn't be a debate about MAC teams going to the now AAC that took Temple back.

Of course, again, they took Temple back because their standards lowered and Temple got some traction to improve by taking their football team more seriously.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - HuskieJohn - 07-27-2015 09:42 AM

(07-24-2015 08:28 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 08:37 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Play less FCS teams and more G5 teams and have those games on Saturdays.

Sell beer somewhere in the stadium...but not everywhere.

No November MACtion games get put on ESPN3.com. If we are going to sacrifice a game to the middle of the week for ESPN then they had better put us on real TV for the exposure.

If you pick the right FCS team for the game you'll do fine. The Bulls drew 23K for Stony Brook because of the SUNY thing. I think we will do well against smAlbany this year in terms of attendance.

Beer in the stadium is nice. I know UB is adding 500 or so club seats this year with "enhanced beverage service" and there are plans to convert 1400 on the East grandstand once funding is in place.

Yes, should have said less out of state FCS teams.

I am fine with a instate FCS team every 3-4 years as a schedule filler when a home buy in game is needed.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - BruceMcF - 07-28-2015 08:29 AM

(07-27-2015 09:42 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Yes, should have said less out of state FCS teams.

I am fine with a instate FCS team every 3-4 years as a schedule filler when a home buy in game is needed.
What is the definition of a filled schedule there? Five home games?

If its 6 homes games, and a MAC team has H/H's with other Go5 schools and an away buy game game at a P5 school, filling out the OOC schedule would involve 2 H/H games, one home, one away, 1 away buy game and one home buy game each season.

And of course, specifying in-state FCS teams is one thing for NIU, Ball State and Buffalo, and quite another for the Ohio and Michigan schools, since there are no Michigan FCS schools and only one Ohio FCS school (Youngstown).

When there are two away buy games on the schedule, as seems to be Kent State's practice (cf. 2010-2016), there are indeed years when an FCS buy game is needed to have five home games, but most Go5 schools scheduling two away buy games would put a share of one of those guarantees into buying an FCS game, to improve their chances of going bowling.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Bull_In_Exile - 07-28-2015 09:22 AM

(07-28-2015 08:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  And of course, specifying in-state FCS teams is one thing for NIU, Ball State and Buffalo, and quite another for the Ohio and Michigan schools, since there are no Michigan FCS schools and only one Ohio FCS school (Youngstown).

You forgot Dayton...

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - perimeterpost - 07-28-2015 11:00 AM

you're insane if you don't schedule an FCS team every year. Its a near guaranteed win and wins are much more important than attendance.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - wleakr - 07-28-2015 11:30 AM

(07-28-2015 11:00 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  you're insane if you don't schedule an FCS team every year. Its a near guaranteed win and wins are much more important than attendance.

I think the "insane" applies if you schedule an FCS and lose. Otherwise, a school should be careful in scheduling an FCS as it could bite them in the end if they are in the running for something special (i.e. G5 champ bowl spot). All things equal, the team with "cheap" FCS wins (cheap wins period, actually) will get less consideration.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - HuskieJohn - 07-28-2015 12:16 PM

(07-28-2015 08:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(07-27-2015 09:42 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Yes, should have said less out of state FCS teams.

What is the definition of a filled schedule there? Five home games?

If its 6 homes games, and a MAC team has H/H's with other Go5 schools and an away buy game game at a P5 school, filling out the OOC schedule would involve 2 H/H games, one home, one away, 1 away buy game and one home buy game each season.

And of course, specifying in-state FCS teams is one thing for NIU, Ball State and Buffalo, and quite another for the Ohio and Michigan schools, since there are no Michigan FCS schools and only one Ohio FCS school (Youngstown).

When there are two away buy games on the schedule, as seems to be Kent State's practice (cf. 2010-2016), there are indeed years when an FCS buy game is needed to have five home games, but most Go5 schools scheduling two away buy games would put a share of one of those guarantees into buying an FCS game, to improve their chances of going bowling.

Yes I was specifically speaking on NIU. I have no clue about what the other MAC fans want to see with their own team as its different for each one.

The in state FCS filler would be ok to me once every 3 years as a 5th home game or once every 2 years as a 6th home game. No more then that though as there is a large risk playing them while the reward is only very short term as in tickets sales for a single game.

I would also not want to see more than 1 away money game per year. We need more 1-1 and 2-1 series with good name teams that will help build the attractiveness of a season ticket purchase.

If my team doesn't get to 8 wins with a MAC schedule then we don't deserve to and shouldn't expect to go bowling.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - HuskieJohn - 07-28-2015 12:31 PM

(07-28-2015 11:00 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  you're insane if you don't schedule an FCS team every year. Its a near guaranteed win and wins are much more important than attendance.

NIU's ADs ran with that concept for 8 of the last 11 years. Its gotten us a bump in wins but not in attendance other then our instate FCS games.

After this year its expected that, under our current AD, NIU will not schedule a FCS team unless its absolutely needed to have a 6th home game. I am not sure on his stands of in state FCS teams. It seems that he likes to schedule weak FCS teams for the guarantee win rather than good FCS teams and risk the loss.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - DetroitRocket - 07-28-2015 01:18 PM

(07-28-2015 12:31 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

NIU's ADs ran with that concept for 8 of the last 11 years. Its gotten us a bump in wins but not in attendance other then our instate FCS games.

After this year its expected that, under our current AD, NIU will not schedule a FCS team unless its absolutely needed to have a 6th home game. I am not sure on his stands of in state FCS teams. It seems that he likes to schedule weak FCS teams for the guarantee win rather than good FCS teams and risk the loss.

For some reason Toledo seems to schedule to top nationally-ranked FCS teams. BTW, Dayton is a non-scholarship team.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Bull_In_Exile - 07-28-2015 02:50 PM

The math works like this..

If you have a payday game then you need an FCS game for 6.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Bull_In_Exile - 07-28-2015 02:51 PM

(07-28-2015 01:18 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

For some reason Toledo seems to schedule to top nationally-ranked FCS teams. BTW, Dayton is a non-scholarship team.

Did not know that about Dayton, thanks.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - HuskieJohn - 07-28-2015 04:06 PM

(07-28-2015 02:50 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

NIU does have 1 money game in 17, 18, and 21 but not a single FCS game. No FCS teams are scheduled after this year...though I am thinking we will have one next year to fill in our schedule after our AD couldn't work any more magic this close to the next season.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - toddjnsn - 07-28-2015 04:27 PM

I like some of the ideas... so:

- Target non-university people in the city/town -- give away free tickets. Not pepsi-can strategies like a certain school does

- Place strippers in some seats instead of Pepsi cans, cheering on the home team

- $1 hot dogs, $1 beers (yes, serve those)

- No petting down students coming in who may be sneaking in a flask (unless she's hot; let her keep the flask if found)

- Mutual agreement with other schools -- $5 bus rides + $5 tickets and cheap beer on the way to visiting games. Season ticket holders get free tickets to away games and 1 free beer for every hour the trip is. Stripper on the bus is optional.

- Significant coupons given away at halftime at all games to local places that's advertised and not just in some leaflet passed out at games. Like, 50% of a dinner, free beer no matter what @ local bars, etc. Lotsa goodies making it worth it to go when one has apathetic interest.

- Strippers coming from stands and dancing at half time to compete with the cheerleaders

- Mascot wars at halftime. Like, real brawls. But girls being in the mascot costumes in bikinis. That way when the glovers -- err, the costumes get torn off, the real skin will show (covered by university logo'd bikinis)

I think if they put ALL of this in place with serious effort -- MAC attendance would go UP.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - perimeterpost - 07-28-2015 05:09 PM

One thing Ohio has tried to do in years past is coordinate the FCS home game with "Band Day" where they invite several local high school marching bands to come watch the game and perform on the field with the 110. Its a great way to dump off several hundred tickets for the students and their parents while also creating a positive impact in those communities.

[Image: DSC03902.JPG?format=750w]

Side note for band geeks-

Along with helping the school and the football program by putting fans in the stands Band Day is also a big recruiting tool for the Marching 110. By influencing a lot of these schools to switch from traditional Corp style marching bands to a Show style band the 110 has developed a pretty decent farm system for future talent.

Unlike most college marching bands OU's band does not have required participation by Music Ed majors so all of its members are in it voluntarily. This creates a more committed and passionate student group that has become very competitive.

The 110 has become so competitive that even with it growing to 245 members there are many people who audition and don't make the band, or are alternates. If you look at the pic above you'll all of the alternates on the near sideline stretched between the 40 yard lines. They compete each week to try to take a spot of someone on the field. Like with anything, competition breeds excellence. I wish more schools would follow this model and remove the mandatory participation of music majors.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - goodknightfl - 07-28-2015 05:31 PM

Free Beer.... G string tuesday games..

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - Bull_In_Exile - 07-28-2015 05:32 PM

(07-28-2015 04:06 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 02:50 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

NIU does have 1 money game in 17, 18, and 21 but not a single FCS game. No FCS teams are scheduled after this year...though I am thinking we will have one next year to fill in our schedule after our AD couldn't work any more magic this close to the next season.

If you want six home games and you have one pay day game you need an FCS game to fill in the difference.. There is a chance your 1:1's will fall in such a way to let you get away with it but that just creates a home game debt later.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - GalliaCat - 07-28-2015 06:45 PM

(07-23-2015 12:54 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  NIU doesn't really have a school the next town over, WMU is the closest at 3+ hours away from DeKalb (at least), the others are all farther. Someone else already mentioned that the MAC prefers exposure on TV to attendance, by putting all the big games on Tuesday nights in November, the coldest time of the football season.

NIU has also had some piss poor OOC scheduling for over a decade, though our new AD is rectifying that.

This is why NIU should advocate for Illinois State to join the conference. It would set up a great in state rivalry that would be more likely to draw a crowd late in the season and on a bad weather day. But every time anyone brings ISU up NIU fans lose their minds in protest.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - GalliaCat - 07-28-2015 06:57 PM

(07-25-2015 11:03 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  If I were Mac commissioner....

Schools that are not keeping up with the 15K minimum regularly would be gone. Make it part of your bylaws that any conference affiliated schools have to keep the 15K minimum attendance to remain a member. For those that don't, let them go and bring in schools that have invested in athletics and has a vision to improve year after year. North Dakota State, JMU, Delaware and a few others would be nice improvements that have good upside and is committed to having a good program.

Marshall fans care about one sport and one sport only and that's football. Based on the results of its other sports it shows. Conferences do have other sports. Perhaps CUSA fans should worry about its warts and not warts of other conferences.

RE: What can be done to improve attendance in the MAC? - MUHERD76 - 07-28-2015 10:06 PM

(07-28-2015 06:57 PM)GalliaCat Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 11:03 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  If I were Mac commissioner....

Schools that are not keeping up with the 15K minimum regularly would be gone. Make it part of your bylaws that any conference affiliated schools have to keep the 15K minimum attendance to remain a member. For those that don't, let them go and bring in schools that have invested in athletics and has a vision to improve year after year. North Dakota State, JMU, Delaware and a few others would be nice improvements that have good upside and is committed to having a good program.

Marshall fans care about one sport and one sport only and that's football. Based on the results of its other sports it shows. Conferences do have other sports. Perhaps CUSA fans should worry about its warts and not warts of other conferences.

Is there any other sport than football?....