CSNbbs
Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-977.html)
+------ Thread: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party (/thread-743368.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - nj alum - 07-23-2015 10:36 AM

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Democrats-drop-Thomas-Jefferson-and-Andrew-6400544.php

The PC warriors have just jumped the shark.

Arguably our most famous alum.

If something like this is attempted at W&M, they will hear from me.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - tribe_pride - 07-23-2015 11:14 AM

So it looks like 12 presidents owned slaves and 8 (in Caps) while in office:
GEORGE WASHINGTON (between 250-350 slaves)
THOMAS JEFFERSON (about 200)
JAMES MADISON (more than 100)
JAMES MONROE (about 75)
ANDREW JACKSON (fewer than 200)
Martin Van Buren (one)
William Henry Harrison (eleven)
JOHN TYLER (about 70)
JAMES POLK (about 25)
ZACHARY TAYLOR (fewer than 150)
Andrew Johnson (probably eight)
Ulysses S. Grant (probably five)

http://hauensteincenter.org/slaveholding/

Wait until we have to get rid of things associated with our first president. And it looks like our conference mate is going to have to change the name of the university soon.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Tribal - 08-16-2015 12:46 AM

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) — The College of William and Mary is removing some Confederate battle flag images from public view on the Williamsburg campus.

One involves a ceremonial mace. While the mace will continue to be used at various events, the flag will be replaced with new emblems to reflect the college’s history.

Meantime, a plaque that contains the names of soldiers from William and Mary who fought for the Confederacy has been moved to special collections with other historic artifacts from the college’s past. It had been on display in the Wren Building.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1JhWk69) reports that President W. Taylor Reveley III said Friday the school’s actions regarding the flag are intended to make William and Mary “welcoming to everybody.”

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - nj alum - 08-16-2015 05:08 AM

http://www.wm.edu/news/announcements/2015/confederate-plaque-and-college-mace.php

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - 62Indian - 08-16-2015 09:09 AM

(08-16-2015 12:46 AM)Tribal Wrote:  I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) — The College of William and Mary is removing some Confederate battle flag images from public view on the Williamsburg campus.

One involves a ceremonial mace. While the mace will continue to be used at various events, the flag will be replaced with new emblems to reflect the college’s history.

Meantime, a plaque that contains the names of soldiers from William and Mary who fought for the Confederacy has been moved to special collections with other historic artifacts from the college’s past. It had been on display in the Wren Building.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1JhWk69) reports that President W. Taylor Reveley III said Friday the school’s actions regarding the flag are intended to make William and Mary “welcoming to everybody.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is pathetic. You would be hard pressed to find even one or two students [or alums] who were even aware of the presence of the Confererate flag on the College Mace. The same is true for the Memorial Plaque in the Wren Building [which was completely razed by Yankee troops during the Civil War].

I am sure "Big Nick" is having another laugh at the expense of W&M.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Big Tribe - 08-16-2015 10:53 AM

Actually, it's difficult to miss the Confederate Memorial Plaque at the Wren Building..as it's positioned fairly prominently along with the others. I'm sure most students have, at one time or another, stopped and read the plaques or, at the very least, noticed them as they walk through the building.

And W&M is not ignoring it's past... a new plaque containing the names of both Confederate and Union men who attended W&M killed in the Civil War will replace it. This seems a proper
and respectful way of doing this.

And the old plaque doesn't disappear entirely...it moves to the Library Special Collection area.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - nogretheogre - 08-16-2015 11:31 AM

(08-16-2015 10:53 AM)Big Tribe Wrote:  And W&M is not ignoring it's past... a new plaque containing the names of both Confederate and Union men who attended W&M killed in the Civil War will replace it.

This is most certainly the best, respectful thing to do. You could argue from the Union side that the previous plaque ignored those WM grads who fought for the North and was therefore pro-south revisionist.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - zablenoise - 08-16-2015 12:08 PM

I had no idea we had a confederate flag but I think this is the right way to handle it. Especially with that plaque.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - WMInTheBurg - 08-16-2015 12:53 PM

Consider the lack of fuss being made here compared to the Wren Cross. It says a lot about how alumni feel about the respective presidents. Also, that President Reveley is making this change after consulting with the BoV shows that he learned something from the previous situation.

Re: RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Tribal - 08-16-2015 01:18 PM

(08-16-2015 12:53 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Consider the lack of fuss being made here compared to the Wren Cross. It says a lot about how alumni feel about the respective presidents. Also, that President Reveley is making this change after consulting with the BoV shows that he learned something from the previous situation.

Here here!

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - NC Tribe - 08-16-2015 01:27 PM

(08-16-2015 12:53 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Consider the lack of fuss being made here compared to the Wren Cross. It says a lot about how alumni feel about the respective presidents. Also, that President Reveley is making this change after consulting with the BoV shows that he learned something from the previous situation.

It could also be that W&M alums are a little more concerned about God being removed from the school than they are about representations of the southern side of the "War of Northern Aggression," sometimes referred to as the Civil War, being removed.

I had one class in the Wren building and I was very much aware of the plaque and thought it was interesting. Adding any Union dead is a good idea, I for one didn't know there were any W&M grads who served for the Union. Were there really all those kids from New Jersey at W&M even back then?

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - billymac - 08-16-2015 01:32 PM

Winfield Scott was Lincoln's first Commanding General of the Union Army (at age 72). He wanted to blockade the South. Lincoln wanted to be more aggressive. He was a William & Mary boy (also fought in the War if 1812).

Re: RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Tribal - 08-16-2015 01:58 PM

(08-16-2015 01:32 PM)billymac Wrote:  Winfield Scott was Lincoln's first Commanding General of the Union Army (at age 72). He wanted to blockade the South. Lincoln wanted to be more aggressive. He was a William & Mary boy (also fought in the War if 1812).

I think Sandy served under Winfield Scott.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - 62Indian - 08-16-2015 02:59 PM

(08-16-2015 01:58 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(08-16-2015 01:32 PM)billymac Wrote:  Winfield Scott was Lincoln's first Commanding General of the Union Army (at age 72). He wanted to blockade the South. Lincoln wanted to be more aggressive. He was a William & Mary boy (also fought in the War if 1812).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
According to his bio Winfield Scott "briefly attended W&M" [probably one semester or less] which qualified him as a "W&M boy", I guess. He was a great military leader and his Anaconda Plan [a big snake encircling the Confederacy] which was a blockade of the Confederate States is generally regarded as a decisive factor in the war by starving the South of practically everything necessary to fight a war in which they were already outnumbered 4 to 1 in manpower. The Anaconda Plan was initially mocked by Scott's critics but was put in place immediately and was extremely effective. The South had no navy to speak of, no sea-faring tradition, and no merchant fleet which made the blockade very effective.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - soccerguy315 - 08-16-2015 08:45 PM

Reveley did a good job with this...

the names will be back with a plaque that has names of the North and South.

a new symbol will be put on the mace to represent that time period.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - nj alum - 08-17-2015 10:15 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/08/07/democrats-presidents-jefferson-jackson-wilson-fdr/31207363/

Last sentence of the column is a real beauty ... right between the eyes of the PC warriors!

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - NC Tribe - 08-17-2015 10:48 AM

(08-17-2015 10:15 AM)nj alum Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/08/07/democrats-presidents-jefferson-jackson-wilson-fdr/31207363/

Last sentence of the column is a real beauty ... right between the eyes of the PC warriors!

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Paulbintheburg - 08-17-2015 01:04 PM

(08-16-2015 01:58 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

Only in the war with Mexico, he was deemed too old when the Civil War broke out.

Maybe its the Yankee in me, but I do not get the whole Confederate flag thing at all, I think its akin to a Nazi swatstika in terms of upsetting people. Not to mention it pays homage to the losing side in a war that happened over 150 yrs ago.

Maybe thats just me...I dunno.

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - 62Indian - 08-17-2015 02:32 PM

(08-17-2015 10:15 AM)nj alum Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/08/07/democrats-presidents-jefferson-jackson-wilson-fdr/31207363/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a great column in USA Today. Political Correctness is running amuck everywhere, specially at W&M.

Pres Reverley should get ahead of the wave and ban and/or disown Thomas Jefferson - he does not represent the "New" W&M. In fact he does not even represent the Old W&M. Thruout his life TJ actively disliked and denigrated the College of W&M, the Wren Building, and the town/city of Williasmburg. In 1810 TJ "borrowed" 1/5 of the College's Endowment [$20,000] to support his lifestyle - he never paid any interest and never paid a nickel back [remember, TJ founded the Democrat Party and thus established party values early on]. In 1824 the College of W&M was on its last legs [having only eight students and a depleted Endowment] and the President and Board of W&M proposed to move the College to Richmond [which was by then the thriving Capital of Virginia, while Williamsburg was mostly known for the Lunaitic Asylum]. Jefferson fought this move politically and prevented the College from relocating because Jefferson feared that W&M would compete with his beloved University of Virginia and detract from "his" University.

Did I mention that Jefferson was a slave owner?

RE: Thomas Jefferson and the Connecticut Democratic Party - Tribal - 08-17-2015 03:17 PM

I don't understand the uproar about getting rid of...let's face it...the emblem of slavery. People can say all they want about what the Stars and Bars represents but it really just comes down, in its simplest form, to a sector of the US that felt justified in enslaving a group of people. It turns my stomach when folks say we should honor that flag as a symbol of the Confederacy. Honor what? Slavery?